Cache Hiding Places?

Medic005

I have two caches ready to hide and I’ve picked two areas where to hide them, however, I want to hide them differently than all of the other cache hides that I’ve seen. About 90% of the caches that I’ve found have been hidden in / under / by trees.

So, I’m looking for other suggestions on where to hide a cache in the woods, other than the tree option.

Thanks for your suggestions! :rolleyes:

I imagine it depends on the size of the cache you want to hide. My Hide of the Heron cache that I originally placed, is a micro and has been well received. It's in the woods, but not "in a tree"o to speak...

I will say it depends on where you live. Because in New England, they have a lot of stone walls and that is a favorite hiding place to many. Here in North Carolina, i haven't seen too many stone walls, or at least not the magnitude of NE.

If you're hiding it in the woods, then I don't see how you're going to avoid hiding it by a tree. But I think I know what you mean.

If it's an area with lots of old trees there are probably a lot of holes in the ground that used to have trees in them. (The trees die, fall over, the roots rot away, leaving a hole in the ground) I've seen a lot of caches placed in these holes and then covered with pinestraw or leaves. It doesn't count as a buried cache (buried caces are bad... mmmkay). And keep in mind you're not allowed to make your own hole for this.

And I've also seen caches hidden in/under/by something that had been dumped in the woods. Like, a stack of old tires, or a refrigerator, etc.

There was one sneaky container I found that you might consider. Someone had taken a tree stump, cut it off very close to the ground with a chain saw so that it was about 18" high. Then they carved out a hole in the bottom of the stump so that an ammo can would fit snug inside. When it was placed in the woods (not the same place they cut the stump from) and the base had some pine straw pushed around it, it was impossible to tell it wasn't a real stump. The only way I knew for sure it because I kicked it and it moved.

I hope this helps some.

If it's an area with lots of old trees there are probably a lot of holes in the ground that used to have trees in them. (The trees die, fall over, the roots rot away, leaving a hole in the ground) I've seen a lot of caches placed in these holes and then covered with pinestraw or leaves. It doesn't count as a buried cache (buried caces are bad... mmmkay). And keep in mind you're not allowed to make your own hole for this.

Just keep in mind that often those holes are some creature's humble abode. I placed a cache in a root bole hole in the late winter. In the spring, whoever was hibernating in there woke up and and it kept evicting the cache container. Had to move the cache.