New To Geocaching, New 60cs, Lost And Frustrated

Hide-and-Seek

I am new to Geocaching and new to this site, so please be kind. I had been considering the purchase of a GPS to guide me along the highways and byways, and while searching for GPS info I learned about Geocaching and this site. I have been lurking around on the Groundspeak Geocaching site for a couple of months now, and I guess that you can say that I'm addicted without ever having searched for a cache. I have all but abandoned my auto navigator plans and have purchased a Garmin 60CS for Geocaching and secondly for its all purpose capabilities. So what’s my problem, let me begin with my new Garmin is a Christmas present, and I’m not allowed to play with it until after Christmas, but I did sneak it out to just see what the screens look like, and I am very disappointed in my new 60 receiver, I'm actually traumatized, the supposedly higher resolution screen is horrible, it looks nothing like the graphics on the Garmin website or in their brochures and owner's manual. In hindsight with my never having seen a GPS screen before I guess I was expecting too much out of the 60CS, I guess its easier for those moving up to the 60CS to see its qualities. But worst of all is the map page screen is upside down, and as I move the unit around the map page spins around like a compass on a horseshoe magnet. The screen is not only upside down but catty-cornered, what common since says should be in the northeast corner of the screen is actually in the southwest corner. I have tried recalibrating the electronic compass to no avail, thanking that might cure the upside down map page. I see nothing of this problem in the owner's manual, nor is there any info on the Garmin Instructional Video. Can anyone tell me how to get the map to turn right side up? And is there a way to lock the screen into the correct position? I know this will probably work itself out when I am actually able to get the unit out to play with after Christmas, but its going to be a long two weeks without knowing how to, or if I can somehow successfully deal with this problem. Please help me feel better about my Christmas present.

I own a Quest (which is a great unit for both auto navigation and geocaching) and there is a setting on the Map Setup screen that allows me to shift my display orientation between "North Up", "Track Up" and "Auto". "North Up" will always display North to the top of the screen no matter which direction you are heading. "Track Up" will keep your direction of movement to the top of the screen regardless of where North is and "Auto" switches between the two settings automatically. Again, this is in the Map Setup page of the Settings menu.

Hey, start having fun, dammit!

You've got one top notch GPS and it would be unusual if you ended up disappointed with it in the long run.

You can make the unit always display "north up" in the map setup screen.

Unless you have loaded detailed topo or street maps into the unit, the standard basemap is not very detailed at all. Once you load up some "real" maps, you will see the map detail you saw advertised.

When you have time to tweak the 60cs to your preferences you're gonna love it, including the screen resolution. (It may have been set to night-mode when you were viewing it)

And why have you all but abandoned your auto-navigation plans? It does that to! (Get yourself some mapping software and you’ll be set.)

Edited by BlueDeuce
but I did sneak it out to just see what the screens look like, and I am very disappointed in my new 60 receiver, I'm actually traumatized, the supposedly higher resolution screen is horrible, it looks nothing like the graphics on the Garmin website or in their brochures and owner's manual

You sure you don't have a defective unit? The 60CS has probably the clearest and best display I've seen on a GPS. The 60's display is better than the Magellan color units and puts my old Vista to shame.

I have all but abandoned my auto navigator plans and have purchased a Garmin 60CS for Geocaching and secondly for its all purpose capabilities

The 60CS is great for auto navigation. Purchase the City Select sofware and you have a nice little auto routing unit.

I've been using a 60CS for the past six months and couldn't be happier. I of course can't speak to what you were expecting but as others have said, this is a very capable and worthwhile GPSr. The resolution is far above and beyond the other GPSr's I've used in the past, and the auto navigation function is a godsend (bearing in mind that you need the separate mapping software to do it).

I've never had a problem with the map displaying funky--it should default to whatever direction you are heading being on top, though if you scroll around the map with the cursor in the "off road" navigation mode, the map position won't shift until you "page" back to the map screen again (that can be kinda annoying). And yes, you can lock the screen so that north always displays "up" but I've found that to be less optimal than having the screen shift in relation to the direction you're heading.

My advice is to give it some time. Play with the features. Figure out what settings you like best. I'm sure you will find it a very dependable and capable model.

I've got a 76CS, same basic unit as the 60CS, and as others have said, the display qualities are excellent. I really believe that these are the top end of the consumer GPSr market right now.

I would suggest that perhaps you should give it some time before you judge to critically. Once you have had the chance to really play with and read the manual, you will probably find that it's much better than you thought. With all of the settings that you can adjust, it's possible to make the unit do some pretty intersting (odd?) things... Maybe post a thread in your regional forum, and see if you can link up with any experienced 60C/S owners and get some first hand tips?

Good luck!

You sure you don't have a defective unit?  The 60CS has probably the clearest and best display I've seen on a GPS. . 

Thanks everyone for your posts and advise I feel much better now.

I doubt the unit is defective, I'm sure it’s just that I expected too much from it right out of the box. After I've had time to play with the features I'm certain I will be pleased.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that most likely the problem is with me, not the unit.

I will have to locate other Geocachers in my area so that I can pump then for advise and see what the screens look like on this and other models.

I LOVE my new 60 CS!!!!! While the screen resolution is certainly not as perfect as my HD Plasma TV, I never thought it would be!! It's 100 times better than the b+w Legend I bought first (and returned after 2 days).

I had all the functions figured out within a week of use and find it is very user-friendly. I've found 20+ caches with it in the past few weeks and I would give it a 10/10 for caching.

It is also fantastic in the car. I have used it to find a hospital, restaurants, flower shop, client offices, etc. It has been completely accurate.

Read the manual that comes with it. Every screen is customizable. As fas as north alway being up, you can set it up that way, but if you also purchased City Select (I highly recommend that you do) for auto-routing you may want to have the map default to the direction you are traveling. This make it a lot easier to read when you are traveling. I would recommend purchase of the Auto Navigation Kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5737692417&rd=1 This link on ebay shows what it contains. It will make navigation in your car much easier and includes City Select. If after playing with your GPS for a while you still have problems email me or start another thread and we will be glad to assist.

can anyone list some links to REAL screen shots for both the Garmin and the Magellan Sprotrak Color?

GPSinformation.net has screen shots here for the 60C. These are pretty accurate by my experience.

Note that the unit switches into "night mode" after dark, and turns the map background black after sunset (unless you tell it not to). Several of these map screen shots are the "night mode" shots (notably, 1,7 and 19-21). 15 shows the more familiar daytime screen.

I will have to locate other Geocachers in my area so that I can pump then for advise and see what the screens look like on this and other models.

This is a good idea. Look for an Event cache that is near you. Go to the meeting, bring your GPS and ask if there are other Garmin 60C/CS owners there. Odds are someone will own one and would be happy to help you get to know the GPS better. I like the 60c so much that I bought a 2nd one for my wife to use whenever she travels without me.

GPSinformation.net has screen shots here for the 60C.  These are pretty accurate by my experience.

I agree, those are pretty accurate pics. 18b and 18c are slightly off. The arrow was changed in one of the 3.xx upgrades.

Yep, that's about what I see when I look at my screen. And I'm glad they made the arrow bigger. The little one was sometimes difficult to read.

A couple of thoughts:

* Were you viewing your 60C in low light? The screen is really beautiful, but it works best in bright light. Once you egt it outside you'll be pretty impressed (especially when you realize how much battery life you're getting out of a color screen).

* If you're not moving, the GPS won't know which direction is "up." Trying using the unit again, and this time walk with it while you're using it. I'm guessing it will suddenly be pointing in the "right" direction.

* Trust me, The 60C is a best-of-breed. You'll love it.

Since you seem relatively new to all of this let me remind you to go to Garmins website and upgrade your software version as soon as the wrapping paper gets wet with eggnog. This way you will be sure to have the "current" version and you may possibly avoid some trivial problems.

I have owned and operated several different GPSr's both Garmin and Magellan and I promise you will find the 60CS to be as good as you can get. It does require time and patience to fully appreciate any GPSr. This is truly a good unit.

I have not read every single reply, only skimmed them...so I apologize if this has already been said.

It will take you a while to figure out what all the options on your unit actually do. I've had mine for 6 or 8 months and I'm still learning to use it. :cool: You can read the instructions and fool around with it but until you get out and use it there will be some stuff that just doesn't make sense.

To answer your original question..... Like others have told you, the unit is in "Track Up" mode. Essentially what this means to you is when you are traveling in a vehicle or walking or whatever, straight up(toward the top) on the unit will be the direction you are actually traveling. When you go around a 90° corner, the display will spin 90° so your direction of travel is always at the top. It will be very clear to you why this is better after you get out and use it a little bit. If you are just goofing around with it in your house, the map screen will more than likely never be oriented correctly. There MAY be times you will want to set it to "north-up" but I just leave mine in "track-up" all the time. Hope that helps.

Edited by drag-racer