Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Personnally, I like the %drop2 option which just gives the last 4 digits of the GCXXXX code.  I also add %typ1, which provides a single letter code for the type of cache (virt, trad, multi, mystery), so I type %drop2%typ1.

I am doing something similar;

%drop2%con1%typ1%dif1%ter1%bug%notGC%code

Good use of the tags :lol:

Tip: For those wondering about the %notGC tag in the string above, from the help file:

The idea being that any tags before this one apply to geocaching.com waypoints and any tags after this apply to the rest. For example, if you used the following tags "%drop2 %ter1 %con1 %notGC %code"

This would mean that any waypoint that starts with "GC" will use "%drop2 %ter1 %con1" and all other would use "%code"

This tag was specifically built for user added waypoints (parking spots, home, hotel, etc) as applying the normal %drop2 etc tags to them is meaningless and would actually "corrupt" the look of them in your GPSr

I just picked up 5.0 and then the update. When I try to export a file to Streets and Trips, I get a csv file that S&T says has a bad format. Any ideas? I have the file available that I can send to whomever. I suspect a problem with babel or I am doing something wrong, which is more likely the case.

Edit to note that, as far as I know, I am doing this exactly as I did using GSAK 4.x

Edited by WeightMan

Speaking of codes for waypoint naming. Is the %name not supported in 5.0 anymore? I mean its listed as an option but when i try to transfer waypoints to my GPSr with the code it wont allow it. It tells me "The waypoint name doesnt contain a special tag that will yeild a unique waypoint name", and im sure you knwo the rest of the message. I like using it as it spaces out the words in the waypoint menu of my GPSr and its easier to read at a glance. As far as apperance on the Map. That doesnt really matter to me if i have a route set to it because that Waypoint is higlighted and takes priority over any other waypoint on the map.

Speaking of codes for waypoint naming. Is the %name not supported in 5.0 anymore? I mean its listed as an option but when i try to transfer waypoints to my GPSr with the code it wont allow it. It tells me "The waypoint name doesnt contain a special tag that will yeild a unique waypoint name", and im sure you knwo the rest of the message. I like using it as it spaces out the words in the waypoint menu of my GPSr and its easier to read at a glance. As far as apperance on the Map. That doesnt really matter to me if i have a route set to it because that Waypoint is higlighted and takes priority over any other waypoint on the map.

Well, you can use %name but not by itself and I will try to explain why you shouldn't.

One of the main reasons I put in that new error message was that many users would email me saying that not all waypoints were going down to the GPS.

The problem is that many GPSrs only support a maximum 10 characters for the waypoint name. If the first 10 characters of any waypoints are the same, then subsequent waypoints are deemed duplicates and you only end up with one of them in your GPS. For example, take a very small sub set with waypoints with the names of:

"My geocache number 1"

"My geocahce number 2"

"My geocache number 3"

If you use the %name tag, and your GPS will only support 10 characters you will only end up with 1 waypoint in your GPS -

"My geocach"

If you use %smart you will get 3 waypoints and the names will be:

MyGeocach1

MyGeocach2

MyGeocach3

If your GPSr does allow for a much larger number (say 30) for the waypoint name then you do lessen the possibility for this but you could still loose waypoints (Yes I have seen waypoint names where the first 30 characters are the same, and there is no Groundspeack check to make sure cache descriptions are not the same anyway)

Now, knowing this and you are still prepared to take the risk then you can use the %name tag. Just add one of the unique tags after it so you don't get that message. For example you could use:

%name %smart or %name %code

You probably would never get to see the second tag, but at least it would stop the error message and effectively let you use the %name tag)

My suggestion if you really like the spaces of the natural name format and your GPS will accept say 30 characters then use this tag string:

%name=26%drop2 that will give you unique waypoint with he first 26 characters being exactly the same as the waypoint description

HTH

Edited by ClydeE
I just picked up 5.0 and then the update. When I try to export a file to Streets and Trips, I get a csv file that S&T says has a bad format. Any ideas? I have the file available that I can send to whomever. I suspect a problem with babel or I am doing something wrong, which is more likely the case.

Edit to note that, as far as I know, I am doing this exactly as I did using GSAK 4.x

Are you trying to open the CSV file in S&T rather than import it?

I would expect the "bad format" message if you tried to open the csv file directly - this has not changed between versions 4 and 5.

For an excellent tutorial on how to import the file in S&T please see this link

Well, you can use %name but not by itself and I will try to explain why you shouldn't.

One of the main reasons I put in that new error message was that many users would email me saying that not all waypoints were going down to the GPS.

The problem is that many GPSrs only support a maximum 10 characters for the waypoint name. If the first 10 characters of any waypoints are the same, then subsequent waypoints are deemed duplicates and you only end up with one of them in your GPS. For example, take a very small sub set with waypoints with the names of:

"My geocache number 1"

"My geocahce number 2"

"My geocache number 3"

If you use the %name tag, and your GPS will only support 10 characters you will only end up with 1 waypoint in your GPS -

"My geocach"

If you use %smart you will get 3 waypoints and the names will be:

MyGeocach1

MyGeocach2

MyGeocach3

If your GPSr does allow for a much larger number (say 30) for the waypoint name then you do lessen the possibility for this but you could still loose waypoints (Yes I have seen waypoint names where the first 30 characters are the same, and there is no Groundspeack check to make sure cache descriptions are not the same anyway)

Now, knowing this and you are still prepared to take the risk then you can use the %name tag. Just add one of the unique tags after it so you don't get that message. For example you could use:

%name %smart or %name %code

You probably would never get to see the second tag, but at least it would stop the error message and effectively let you use the %name tag)

My suggestion if you really like the spaces of the natural name format and your GPS will accept say 30 characters then use this tag string:

%name=26%drop2 that will give you unique waypoint with he first 26 characters being exactly the same as the waypoint description

HTH

That makes a lot of sense thanks. I know exactly what your talking about. Even with some smart names i run into that problem with them being long and them being the same. I'll give that a try today when i head out.

I just picked up 5.0 and then the update.  When I try to export a file to Streets and Trips, I get a csv file that S&T says has a bad format.  Any ideas?  I have the file available that I can send to whomever.  I suspect a problem with babel or I am doing something wrong, which is more likely the case.

Are you trying to open the CSV file in S&T rather than import it?

I would expect the "bad format" message if you tried to open the csv file directly - this has not changed between versions 4 and 5.

For an excellent tutorial on how to import the file in S&T please see this link

I knew I was doing something wrong. That was it.

GSAK version 5 is now ready to download.

Major changes this release:

Support for Delorme Topo USA, Street Atlas Plus (Including shipped and custom icons)

Oh my god this is fun!

I just did a quick export to TopoUSA 5 of my GSAK database and let out a squeal like a girl! Moving Geocaches around in 3D was cool before but it took so much effort I would only do it every couple of months then I just used a generic icon for everthing. Now I can do it in seconds and a direct link to the web page if I click on the cache...

I tell you this program is Geek Heaven!

Thanks for a great program!

Dan

Support for Delorme Topo USA, Street Atlas Plus (Including shipped and custom icons)

Oh my god this is fun!

I just did a quick export to TopoUSA 5 of my GSAK database and let out a squeal like a girl! Moving Geocaches around in 3D was cool before but it took so much effort I would only do it every couple of months then I just used a generic icon for everthing. Now I can do it in seconds and a direct link to the web page if I click on the cache...

Dan

Thanks for the feedback - I am glad you like it.

I must confess, comments like that are what motivate me to keep improving and adding features to GSAK :o;):):)

Oh my god this is fun!

Dan

Thanks for the feedback - I am glad you like it.

I must confess, comments like that are what motivate me to keep improving and adding features to GSAK :o;):):)

Clyde, I too yet out a yell when I found out GSAK 5.0 exports a file that will allow me to use clickable waypoints in S/A USA 2004, yes, that is NOT a typo, it works in S/A USA 2004. I don't have to upgrade to the $99 version of S/A USA 2005, the version DeLorme states one needs to have this feature. I didn't want S/A USA 2005 because they removed RV Parks from the POI's and forces us to get Plus version, as the $49 dollar version won't allow clickable waypoints or draw layers!

This is how I stumbled across this feature: I exported the GSAK waypoint file and selected the 'Topo USA 5' feature. I opened it in Topo and I got the clickable waypoints. Way too cool you think? Well, it gets better. I brought up S/A USA 2004 NOT 2005 and opened the exported Topo USA file, guess what? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clickable waypoints in S/A USA 2004 too.

Now, why is this good? Because DeLorme states to do this you need S/A 2005 and not the $49 dollar version, you need the $99 dollar version. S/A USA 2005 does NOT have the RV Parks in POI's anymore either.

Thanks again and thanks to the post from Don Edwards that got me going on this.....

Clyde, I too yet out a yell when I found out GSAK 5.0 exports a file that will allow me to use clickable waypoints in S/A USA 2004, yes, that is NOT a typo, it works in S/A USA 2004.  I don't have to upgrade to the $99 version of S/A USA 2005, the version DeLorme states one needs to have this feature.  I didn't want S/A USA 2005 because they removed RV Parks from the POI's and forces us to get Plus version, as the $49 dollar version won't allow clickable waypoints or draw layers!

This is how I stumbled across this feature:    I exported the GSAK waypoint file and selected the  'Topo USA 5' feature.  I opened it  in Topo and I got the clickable waypoints.  Way too cool you think?  Well, it gets better.  I brought up S/A USA 2004 NOT 2005 and opened the exported Topo USA file, guess what?  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clickable waypoints in S/A USA 2004 too. 

Now, why is this good?  Because DeLorme states to do this you need S/A 2005 and not the $49 dollar version, you need the $99 dollar version.  S/A USA  2005 does NOT have the RV Parks in POI's anymore either.

Thanks again and thanks to the post from Don Edwards that got me going on this.....

Thanks. You are the second person who has brought this to my attention.

You are right. When reading the Delorme web site the implication was that the URL links would not work in SA 2004 (I even indicated this in the dialog in GSAK)

I will remove that message in the next maintenance release, but this is good news for Delorme SA users.

Just to repeat:

You do not need Street Atlas plus to get the clickable links. It would appear that Street Atlas 2004 also supports this even though the documentation may say otherwise.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

Just wanted to thank you for this great new major release!

Once before I became a registered user, and once afterwards, I requested the ability to override icons for special caches, such as micros and those with travel bugs, like GPX Spinner does. Thanks so much for finding the time to add it to this release! It works so amazingly, I almost cried! (Almost. :lol: )

You mention in the help section that you wondered if there were any other special override situations. I can't think of any, but sure appreciate what you came up with. Also, no bugs at all for me, so far.

By far and away, this is the single best geocaching software that exists on the market, and I'm proud to be a registered user. It has more features than I can dream of, and the new "send waypoints to GPSr via serial cable" just adds even better functionality. I hope it is supporting you for all your time and efforts.

Take care,

Chris D.

ChrissySkyking

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to go. It seems to me like in the new version, in the offline cache description, there is no longer an indicator as to which caches have "corrected coordinates", all the filters still work perfect, but the indicator no longer comes up.

Knowing how well Clyde has done things, I imagine there is a check box somewhere where I can re-enable this feature, but I can't see it.

I'm really liking 5.0.1a but I'm doing something wrong and can't seem to find what it is.

When I download waypoints from gc.com,

then launch GSAK-5 and load the folder of .loc files,

then export to a Street Atlas txt file,

then import the file into Street Atlas,

SA always prints the waypoints on my SA map in Decimal Degrees format.

In the GSAK grid the coordinates are in Decimal Minutes

In 4.2 I believe I got those waypoints on Street Atlas in Decimal Minutes format.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edited by valleyrat

Valleyrat, all I can say is that this is a setting in SA somewhere. The display format is simply a display format, and really has nothing to do with the actual value. Your GPS, and most programs, store the lat and lon as a real number. It can be displayed in several ways by simply doing some manipulation inside the program or the GPS. I'm not familiar with SA, but there should be a setting somewhere in the options to change the display format.

Apparently the GSAK codes %lat and %lon format the txt file to Decimal degrees. Anyone know if there's a code to format the file to Decimal Minutes?

Nightpilot is right. You need to change the map view in SA. No mater what format you input the waypoints as, it always displays them in the current format. I am at work so I can't remeber off the top of my head, but it's the rightmost tab in SA. and then "Data" or something.

I love Delorme software for the power but these guys have the worst user interfaces.

Dan

When exporting to mapsource, it won't automatically open the mapsource program because I have it on my D drive.  Is there some place I can go to insert the correct path for it to look for software?

It shouldn't matter where MapSource is. GSAK looks in your registry to find the path to MapSource. The key it interrogates is:

'\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MapSource.exe'

Perhaps this registry key is pointing to the wrong path or has been deleted some how?

Even if this key is not found, GSAK then tries to load MapSource by association. That is, GSAK will try to load whatever program you have .mps files associated with.

Edited by ClydeE

First - Version 5 - Tops!

...and I have finally got my GSAK "Founds" to match my GC.com total.

I thought I was going to have to manually generate waypoints for all the archieved/dead/distant caches I had found that could no longer be picked up with my pocket queries.

Then I twigged how to do it the easy way - go to your GC.com list of finds, open each cache page for the "missing" caches missing from your database. Save each one individually into a temp folder, then load the folder into GSAK and bingo! all the old caches are listed, present and correct.

I was so pleased, I though I would share this with other new users...

...Yeah! I know all the old sweats would know how to do it...

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to go. It seems to me like in the new version, in the offline cache description, there is no longer an indicator as to which caches have "corrected coordinates", all the filters still work perfect, but the indicator no longer comes up.

Knowing how well Clyde has done things, I imagine there is a check box somewhere where I can re-enable this feature, but I can't see it.

I'm sad to say it is my turn to have done something silly - though it wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

This indicator was clobbered with some of the changes from V4.2 to 5 (unintentionally)

I will fix this in the next maintenance release.

Note: If you really need some sort of indicator before the fix there is a work around now. Tools=>Options=>HTML then add the %correct special tag to the end of the "waypoint desctiption for HTML view". Referer to the help file section "Special tags" for more information on the %correct special tag

Edited by ClydeE
I have an old Garmin gpsmap195 which is a 4800 baud unit. I need to keep it 4800 baud for compatibility with other apps. Can you open up the change function for your app to allow me to slow things down?

GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS

GPSBabel is fixed at 9600 for all Garmin serial transfers (someone feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong)

So unfortunately I would have to say that your gpsmap195 is "unsupported"

GPSBabel is fixed at 9600 for all Garmin serial transfers (someone feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong)

You are not wrong. I've always found it odd that Magellan users quickly demanded a variety of serial speeds and there was never one request for Garmin serial users to change it. In some 75,000 users, we now have one.

So unfortunately I would have to say that your gpsmap195 is "unsupported"

At least this configuration is... Does the 195 work correctly at 9600bps? I can't say I recall reports of success or failure with this unit.

I wanted to let the world know what great support Clyde provides. I sent an email to him on Saturday evening. I was not expecting a reply till Monday. Late Saturday I already had a response from Clyde, and by Sunday morning the problem was resolved.

Thanks again Clyde, and keep up the great work on this great program.

I have a question about saved filters on GSAK v5.0.0.

When applying a saved filter from the "Select a saved filter" dropdown box, the status line at bottom left changes to show "Subset:<name of the filter>". All well and good.

If I create a macro that applies a saved filter then run the macro, the filter is applied ok but the status bar just shows "Subset: Filter" and not the name of the saved filter. I prefer to set my filters using macros and macro buttons but would really like to be able to see which one is applied at any given time.

Anyone ??

If I create a macro that applies a saved filter then run the macro, the filter is applied ok but the status bar just shows "Subset: Filter" and not the name of the saved filter.

I get the same thing - I suspect it's hard wired into the program.

It's not really an issue for me as long as the macro or macro button does what I intend, which it does (i.e. I know what filter is active because I wrote the macro!).

I have a question about saved filters on GSAK v5.0.0.

When applying a saved filter from the "Select a saved filter" dropdown box, the status line at bottom left changes to show "Subset:<name of the filter>". All well and good.

If I create a macro that applies a saved filter then run the macro, the filter is applied ok but the status bar just shows "Subset: Filter" and not the name of the saved filter. I prefer to set my filters using macros and macro buttons but would really like to be able to see which one is applied at any given time.

Anyone ??

Ok, I will have a look and see if I can change this behaviour for filters set via the macro.

I have GSAK 5 and a GPS 60CS. I found out through this forum how to get custom icons on my GPSr. Does anyone know how to get GSAK to assign that custom waypoint? When I attempt this, it all I get is a small circle(small city) waypoint. This may be covered somewhere else, I just can't find it.

Thanks for any help. <_<

Edited by GPS-Geek

I'm Loving GSAK 5, especially the export (with correct icons AND hotlinks if I so choose) to SA 2004! I pointed this out to Clyde the day 5.0 came out, but forgot to post it here. Sorry about that.

Er, right then. This is not a bug, but another old-school keyboard thing.

Pre-5.0.x Sequence "Ctrl-O", "Enter" = load/reload gpx (file, folder, whatever the last selected options were)

5.0.x: "Ctrl-O". "Enter" = "Warning Box" chastising me for slecting Basic Options from the Advanced Screen, as the "Basic Options" button is selected (or Advanced Options", if you're loading from the basic screen).

New 5.0.x sequence to attain pre-5.0.x glory: "Ctrl-O", "shift-tab", "shift-tab", "shift-tab", "enter" for loading goodness.

Since it won't matter much to mousers, would it be possible to move the default selection on "File/Open" back to enter?

Edited by Cymbaline
I'm Loving GSAK 5, especially the export (with correct icons AND hotlinks if I so choose) to SA 2004!  I pointed this out to Clyde the day 5.0 came out, but forgot to post it here.  Sorry about that. 

Er, right then.  This is not a bug, but another old-school keyboard thing. 

Pre-5.0.x Sequence "Ctrl-O", "Enter" = load/reload gpx (file, folder, whatever the last selected options were)

5.0.x: "Ctrl-O". "Enter" = "Warning Box" chastising me for slecting Basic Options from the Advanced Screen, as the "Basic Options" button is selected (or Advanced Options", if you're loading from the basic screen).

New 5.0.x sequence to attain pre-5.0.x glory:  "Ctrl-O", "shift-tab", "shift-tab", "shift-tab", "enter" for loading goodness.

Since it won't matter much to mousers, would it be possible to move the default selection on "File/Open" back to enter?

Yep, consider it done. In fact, this change has already been made in the 5.02 maintenance release. I am just holding off making it public waiting for any more reports of quirks/bugs. If you want a copy if it now just send me a private email.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

I would really like support for the custom waypoints on my Quest. I know, even Mapsource can't get them to the Quest right yet... but it would be nice to export geocaches from GSAK directly with the right icons, instead of changing all waypoints in Mapsource after importing them.

Most annoying thing is that there are only so much (Garmin) icons to choose in GSAK that have any geocaching association, so you can change them to the right custom waypoints afterwards without using a looooong conversion list. <_<

Not top priority, but if you would have some spare time and the right info... <_<

Clyde,

I would really like support for the custom waypoints on my Quest. I know, even Mapsource can't get them to the Quest right yet... but it would be nice to export geocaches from GSAK directly with the right icons, instead of changing all waypoints in Mapsource after importing them.

Most annoying thing is that there are only so much (Garmin) icons to choose in GSAK that have any geocaching association, so you can change them to the right custom waypoints afterwards without using a looooong conversion list. <_<

Not top priority, but if you would have some spare time and the right info... <_<

Please see this post

I have a Lowrance I finder. How can I export to the mmc in a .txt format?

You would need to use the Export=>Custom option and have GPSBabel use a style file.

If that is a bit hard to get your head around, then the other option is to generate an excel spread sheet, then save the spread sheet as a .txt or csv file.

To generate an Excel file from GSAK please see item 13 of the FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Well, the new release seems to be working nicely except for an initial glitch. When I exported a MapSource file, the program hung. I killed it and the second time is auto-recovered and has been working just fine. Since I cannot reproduce it, I guess we can forget it.

What I really wanted to do was to ask for a new feature. I know, just what you wanted to hear. What I would like is an option to set the user flag for records added to the database. I can set the flag for updates, but what I want to do is to flag the waypoints I need to send to MapSource. I guess for that matter, I would like to flag items that would also cause a change in icon for a waypoint (active / inactive, found / not found) but the biggest is added waypoints.

At first I was using a filter on the date placed, but then when I was ready to visit another area, I forgot when I lasted loaded that Pocket Query, and that renewed my original desire for setting the flag.

I guess what would really be nice is a "filter" dialog option on the file open that can be used to set the user flag, but with the added availability of "event" flags such as "New Waypoint" or "Status Changed" or "Found / Not Found changed".

Of course when you get the mapping feature added, I won't need to do this, so whichever is easier <_<

Well, the new release seems to be working nicely except for an initial glitch. When I exported a MapSource file, the program hung. I killed it and the second time is auto-recovered and has been working just fine. Since I cannot reproduce it, I guess we can forget it.

What I really wanted to do was to ask for a new feature. I know, just what you wanted to hear. What I would like is an option to set the user flag for records added to the database. I can set the flag for updates, but what I want to do is to flag the waypoints I need to send to MapSource. I guess for that matter, I would like to flag items that would also cause a change in icon for a waypoint (active / inactive, found / not found) but the biggest is added waypoints.

At first I was using a filter on the date placed, but then when I was ready to visit another area, I forgot when I lasted loaded that Pocket Query, and that renewed my original desire for setting the flag.

I guess what would really be nice is a "filter" dialog option on the file open that can be used to set the user flag, but with the added availability of "event" flags such as "New Waypoint" or "Status Changed" or "Found / Not Found changed".

Of course when you get the mapping feature added, I won't need to do this, so whichever is easier <_<

Actually, you can set the user flags for just waypoints added, but it does involve a little bit of fiddling with a 2 stage load.

However, before we get into that I think what you really want here is a filter on "date created". Just load you GPX file then set a filter on "date created" = today (or save a "during the last 1 days" to get a relative date filter you can always use without having to change the date each time)

Just a suggestion...

When we right click at the top of a column we get a context menu with special options for just that column, but when we right click above the user flags column (the one with the little man standing) there aren't any options to pick such as select all, deselect all, inverse select, etc. That would be a nice addtion to quickly select all the check boxes instead of having to go up to the menu and drill down to the options there. Right clicking would be nice.

Thanks for a great program.

Kirk out.

Just a suggestion...

When we right click at the top of a column we get a context menu with special options for just that column, but when we right click above the user flags column (the one with the little man standing) there aren't any options to pick such as select all, deselect all, inverse select, etc. That would be a nice addtion to quickly select all the check boxes instead of having to go up to the menu and drill down to the options there. Right clicking would be nice.

Thanks for a great program.

Kirk out.

I'll look at adding this one to "this list", however just a couple of comments

1. You don't need to go to the top of the column to get the rigth click menu - anywhere in the grid will do

2. If you have a user flag option you use often, then assign it to a macro button and place it with the other buttons. Then you have no menu options to go through - it is just one mouse click away.

Having bought ExpertGPS a while back I was reluctant to shell out more money for another program. Oh well, after using GSAK for several months on a rather frequent basis I finally hit the paypal button - keep up the excellent work, ClydeE.

Only today I figured out that I can have clickable icons in SA2005 - sometimes it would pay to read the manual, I guess.

One thing I have looked up in the manual to no avail is the corrected coordinates feature. I doubt I am the first to ask if there is a way to import a GPXSpinner like file of corrected coordinates. Actually, I would prefer to keep an external file with the coords and have GSAK load it when I press a button/macro.

# Caches to correct

# CacheID, Latitude, Longitude\

GCB416, N40 39.401, W119 21.988 # High Desert Adventure

What am I missing here? Or would this be a new feature? Would love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks again,

Nostrada

One thing I have looked up in the manual to no avail is the corrected coordinates feature. I doubt I am the first to ask if there is a way to import a GPXSpinner like file of corrected coordinates. Actually, I would prefer to keep an external file with the coords and have GSAK load it when I press a button/macro.

# Caches to correct

# CacheID, Latitude, Longitude\

GCB416, N40 39.401, W119 21.988 # High Desert Adventure

What am I missing here? Or would this be a new feature? Would love to hear some feedback on this.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I will tell it as it is.

Actually, you are the very first to ask for this. I had quite a few requests for GPX spinner type icons overrides (now supported in version 5), but none for spinner corrected coordinates.

GSAK has its own file (per database) for corrected coordinates. It also allows you to override the state (spinner does not), so unfortunately in is not compatible with the spinner file.

Thanks for the help. I got it to work in around about way. It would be nice to have an easier way to transfer the data. I saves to excel then had to make some edits in notepad (added a space between comma and text), imported to GDM6 and saved as .usr. then I can save to the mmc. Better than entering 64 waypoints one at a time.

Thanks for the fast reply. OK, I am a bit dense here, but does this mean that I can:

- export a list of all corrected coordinates into a GSAK supported, human readable file?

- and import this file back into GSAK?

I would hate entering all the coords by hand. But if I have to, I would want to make sure I can back this particular piece of data up. I guess asking for some kind of import function of the spinner file into GSAK would be lots of work. But it would for sure make the switch easier. Just asking ;-)

Cheers,

Nostrada

Hmmm, just mucking about in the data directories for GSAK. It looks to me like GSAK stores the corrected coordinates in a DBF file, and an NSX file. Now I don't know what an NSX file is, but I know you can get access to open up a DBF. I wonder how GSAK would handle manual edits to the DBF (probably send the whole database spiraling in to oblivion....)

*edit*

I spoke to soon, the NSX file is the index file. Doesn't look too hard to edit that file :)

Edited by ibycus

Newbie to both Geocaching.com and GSAK.

1. If I select all caches on a page on geocaching.com, then download waypoints, it calls GSAK but doesn't update all fields. The cache type and last4 logs and last log date are not updated. But if I download the gpx file individually, it all works.

Can I download gpx files in groups somehow, instead of one at a time?

2. The DNF checkbox field does not update the color for not found on GSAK. What does the "not found" color really signify?

:)

The loc files that you can download in groups from geocaching.com don't contain very much information (i.e. They don't contain logs, or type or any number of other things). To get that information you need to download a GPX file. The typical way of doing this is by using a Pocket Query and having the data e-mailed to you. As you noted, you can also download them individually off the cache page. To my knowledge there is not currently a way to manually download a group of GPX files (although I'm told its being worked on my the geocaching.com folks).

AFAIK the "not found" that you're talking about it when you actually post DNF log to a cache page. .