Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

OK. So S&T won't let you assign different icons to different waypoints in one file? I admit I don't have a copy, and yet another reason not to give Bill any more of my money. :mad:

You could manually change individual icons, but in S&T there is no way to do this based on one of the fields in the import file. You can however do this in Mappoint, which has much better data handling capabilities. Mappoint is 3 times the price...

This seems similar To how colour works in the forums.

Actually I think I can remember reading a recent post from Jeremy along those same lines. (On the Geocaching.com Web Site Forum) Basically, anything that works in the forums will also work in the logs. Presumably this gets copied out in to the logs at straight text...

Although images are not supported in log entries...

This is not valid HTML syntax for showing this text in blue, and if you place that in HTML that is exacly how it comes out (with the word in square brackets and all). The correct syntax to render this in a browser would be <font color="blue">Blue Bead Man</font>

I get the feeling there is some special form of coding you can use when making logs in Groundspeak to do this (which I am obviously not aware of). When Groundspeak read this "special" coding the correct HTML syntax is generated so your browser correctly shows the information in blue.

this'll be something like bbcode so things like [smile] get substituted for a smiley face etc. I'm guessing the [blue] does the same thing.

Yes, it's bbcode that is specific to the bulletin board software. The stuff above the message box, where you reply, has most of this stuff, like "left bracket b right bracket" bold "left bracket /b right bracket" for bold, etc. URLs are also inserted differently. It's not html at all, and it only works on the forum it was meant for.

Edit: had a heck of a time finding a way to make the characters show up, and gave up and spelled them out. :rolleyes:

Edited by NightPilot

In the Tools>Options>Display tab you have the option of showing,lets say a new column for caches found by me. Is there a way when getting my pocket queries to show the date in that column without having to enter it myself? I have over 200 finds and would like to be able to see the date I found them without having to enter each one of them individually. Thanks Haffy6 :rolleyes:

In the Tools>Options>Display tab you have the option of showing,lets say a new column for caches found by me. Is there a way when getting my pocket queries to show the date in that column without having to enter it myself? I have over 200 finds and would like to be able to see the date I found them without having to enter each one of them individually. Thanks Haffy6 :)

Select 'Tools' then 'Options' then 'Display' then tick the 'Found by me box'.

This will add a column to the main grid showing the date you found the cache as extracted from the PQ/GPX file.

:rolleyes:

In the Tools>Options>Display tab you have the option of showing,lets say a new column for caches found by me. Is there a way when getting my pocket queries to show the date in that column without having to enter it myself? I have over 200 finds and would like to be able to see the date I found them without having to enter each one of them individually. Thanks Haffy6 :rolleyes:

Yes, this should update automatically.

However, "Found by me" will only work if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly (via Tools=>Options=>General). For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Edited by ClydeE
I must admit, this is puzzling to me too. If you take a look at the syntax for the log for the part that is in blue it is:

[blue]Blue Bead Man[/blue]

This is not valid HTML syntax for showing this text in blue, and if you place that in HTML that is exacly how it comes out (with the word in square brackets and all). The correct syntax to render this in a browser would be <font color="blue">Blue Bead Man</font>

I get the feeling there is some special form of coding you can use when making logs in Groundspeak to do this (which I am obviously not aware of). When Groundspeak read this "special" coding the correct HTML syntax is generated so your browser correctly shows the information in blue.

Is this a new log feature at Grounspeak?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this?

I believe the logs allow "BBCode", which is often used in forums and explained on the PHPbb site as: "a special implementation of HTML. Whether you can actually use BBCode in your posts...is determined by the administrator. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML: tags are enclosed in square braces [ and ] rather than < and > and it offers greater control over what and how something is displayed".

The smileys you can add to gc.com logs look like BBcode, and some have decided to try other tags in the same form - it appears to work!

Edit: Oops - I was at the bottom of the last page and didn't realize this had already been answered!

Edited by Kai Team