Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I have a Garmin, so this may or may not apply. If they work the same, then you might want to see if this makes sense for you too.

The 60CS comes with Waypoint Manager software. As I collect non GPS waypoints, I download them from the GPS, then cut and paste into a "non-caching" file.

Anything I load into the GPS gets added to what is already there. It doesn't wipe everything out and start from scratch. When I go on a trip, since there are only a limited number of waypoints the unit can hold, I wipe out everything manually, then load up the "non-caching" stuff which I always want, then load the stuff for the area I am going to go into the GPS using GSAK.

The reason I don't use GSAK for the non-cache stuff is because GSAK doesn't have all the icons available that I want to use for those things. It does a good job for the cache specific stuff, but I wanted more than what it could provide.

If I am not mistaken, you can use memory cards with your unit. You might be able to keep you basic stuff in the unit itself, and put all the geocaching related stuff on the memory card. I don't know how your unit works, but I am sure there are others that can comment on the specifics.

Miha Ivan,

The Meridian has a similar work-around I can do, just as you suggested. I am able to manage my waypoints in a similar manner with the Mapsend program. I use a few different ".wpt" files. When uploading from Mapsend, it does overwrite whatever waypoints were on the GPS. I was curious if GSAK did the same. If so, then I will export from GSAK to Mapsend, add my non-caching points, then upload from Mapsend to the GPS. Or, I guess I could creat a database in GSAK of my non-caching points and add the caches to that file and then upload from GSAK to the GPS.

If anyone has an easier way to keep "permanent" waypoints on the Meridian, please let me know.

Thanks. :ph34r:

OK, I must be dumb as a brick this morning, please no dumb bunny jokes.

So how do I get GSAK to update my owned caches. I have them included in one of my GPX file downloads, and it does not seem to "see" them as they are not being updated. I then tried to download each as a LOC file and a single GPX file and I still don't get them updated. So am I doing something wrong in the downlaod, or have I missed a radio button or check box in GSAK somewhere.

I know that the answer is painfully simple, I am just stumped.

Thanks

Thumper :ph34r:;):D

When I send cache waypoints from GSAK to my Meridian Platinum, will it overwrite the waypoints I allready have loaded on the GPS?

It will clear the waypoints in the GPS only if you check the box that's cleverly labelled "Clar GPS before sending". :-) Otherwise, it's additive.

(This option should be avilable only when configured for a Magellan as the Garmin protocol doesn't allow you to delete waypoints...)

Edited by robertlipe
I just downloaded (and registered) GSAK.  Looks like a great program.  I have one general question....

When I send cache waypoints from GSAK to my Meridian Platinum, will it overwrite the waypoints I allready have loaded on the GPS?  I have several waypoints that I like to keep on the GPS, such as "Home".  If it does overwrite, I assume I can just make sure that I upload the original waypoints I want to keep with each set of caches I want to put on the GPS.  Just curious.

I think you are really asking if your waypoints will be cleared?

I will try to explain:

When you send waypoints from GSAK to your GPSr, only if an existing waypoint has the same name will it be overriden. So if you have a waypoint in your GSAK database with the code of "Home" and there is already a waypoint in your GPSr with the name of "Home", then the coordinates etc of your GPSr waypoint will be overriden with the one from GSAK. However, if the GSAK database being sent to your GPSr does not have any waypoint called "Home" then this waypoint in your GPSr will remain exactly as it is.

Finally, for a Magellan brand GPSr, GSAK does provided an option to "clear" all waypoints before sending. This will erase every waypoint in your GPSr, then send down the GSAK waypoints. Note: This is not the default option - you have to select it.

Edit: Dam! this thread moves quick. Sorry, I was answering from the previous page and didn't see this had already been addressed.

Edited by ClydeE
OK, I must be dumb as a brick this morning, please no dumb bunny jokes.

So how do I get GSAK to update my owned caches.  I have them included in one of my GPX file downloads, and it does not seem to "see" them as they are not being updated.  I then tried to download each as a LOC file and a single GPX file and I still don't get them updated.  So am I doing something wrong in the downlaod, or have I missed a radio button or check box in GSAK somewhere.

If you are a premium member (which you are) then any GPX file you get from Groundspeak should have the indicator to say you found the cache, and hence so should GSAK.

Are you really asking about the found status, or are you asking about the "found by me date"

If you are asking about the found status and still can't work out why caches in GSAK are not showing as found for you, then please take the option "Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" and I should be able to sort this out for you.

edit: Oh, and if you do the send, then please email me the tracking number.

Edited by ClydeE
I downloaded GSAK, fired it up and it just sits there.  I uninstalled, re installed and it happens again. Looking in task manager it says Not Responding.  Any ideas? I have a new Dell running XP.

I also have a dell (laptop) running xp. I also went through what you described, by d/ling gsak installed it, run it and it just sat there and said not responding. I waited a few minutes and the program started running. I assume that it was doing something internally, and took a while to complete whatever it was doing. It runs now without the delay it originally had.

Same thing here on a Dell running XP. Weird thing is it did OK for a couple of days, but now it is not responding. I've reloaded it a couple of times and it's currently not responding. Any advice?

Please see this post

I also had one user fix this problem =>

When GSAK was running (but not responding) I

decided to restart Windows without first ending GSAK.

I obviously received the 'not responding.... End Now' warning and when I

clicked the 'End Now' button, GSAK started (and Windows did not shut

down). Now GSAK is starting without any problems. Problem solved!!

It looks like (for me at least), that McAfee Privacy Service had something to do with it. After I deleated that program it works fine. Thanks!

GSAK and Garmin custom icons.

I have a couple of custom icons I would like to use, how can I tell GSAK to use one of the custom icons created with Ximage (a Garmin utility) when I transfer to Mapsouce or directly to the GPSr? Is this possible?

thanks,

lakedawgs

Create a file called "GarminOther.txt" in the install folder of GSAK. In this file include the names of the custom icons. For example,

Custom 0

Custom 1

Custom 2

Custom 8

These should then be available from the icon drop down box in GSAK

I think the current version of GPSBabel may offset your custom icons by 1 but this should be corrected in a future release.

If you are asking about the found status and still can't work out why caches in GSAK are not showing as found for you, then please take the option "Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" and I should be able to sort this out for you.

The problem is that caches that I have placed (own) are not being updated in the "lg", "Last Log", "Last Found", fields. If I do a "Show Off Line" request the page does not show any cacher's posts. When I try to import the cache via a GPX, LOC, or single GPX file I get the message that they have been updated and the user flag column shows that they were updated. The fields just don't change or show any change.

I sent the debug to you under tracking number 967. I only posted here because it may help another with the same problem and this might save you having to answer the same questions twice. I am in absoultly no hurry for the cure, heck, I am retired which equals nothing much to do and all day to do it.

Thanks for the great program and the support given.

Thumper :D:D:D

Edited by OKThumper

The problem is that caches that I have placed (own) are not being updated in the "lg", "Last Log", "Last Found", fields. If I do a "Show Off Line" request the page does not show any cacher's posts. When I try to import the cache via a GPX, LOC, or single GPX file I get the message that they have been updated and the user flag column shows that they were updated. The fields just don't change or show any change.

I sent the debug to you under tracking number 967. I only posted here because it may help another with the same problem and this might save you having to answer the same questions twice. I am in absoultly no hurry for the cure, heck, I am retired which equals nothing much to do and all day to do it.

Thanks for the great program and the support given.

The problem is when loading the GPX file you have checked the box "And ONLY update user flag if matched" - see picture below

load3.png

Please refer to the help file or online here

Basically, by checking that box ONLY the user flag is updated - NOTHING else. You would only do this when all you wanted to know which waypoints already existed in your database and didn't want to update any of them. Just uncheck this box and your problem will be solved.

Hey Clyde, would there be any chance of getting a little more advanced log management? For example, when creating a log the option to create a found, dnf, or note, instead of only a note? As well as when writing a note, have it say by the "Registered Username" instead of by GSAK?

Perhaps then another entry to mark whether the log entry had been logged online or not. That way if any waypoints are imported later one, those geocaches not logged online wouldn't be overwritten. And another search function for logs that hadn't been put online. Something like that.

Just thinking of a nice way to keep track of caches, especially when away from the internet.

Hey Clyde, would there be any chance of getting a little more advanced log management? For example, when creating a log the option to create a found, dnf, or note, instead of only a note? As well as when writing a note, have it say by the "Registered Username" instead of by GSAK?

Perhaps then another entry to mark whether the log entry had been logged online or not. That way if any waypoints are imported later one, those geocaches not logged online wouldn't be overwritten. And another search function for logs that hadn't been put online. Something like that.

Just thinking of a nice way to keep track of caches, especially when away from the internet.

The next version of GSAK has updates in this area including semi automatic logging at geocaching.com

Not all, but I think you will find it goes a long way to addressing this issues you have raised here.

Well the search did not bring up what I was looking for and I need to know how to change all waypoints in a database to the same icon at one time, if possible?

I have looked at the help file and all but could not find what I was looking for there.

Also where do I find this box?

ChangeIcon.png

Edited by benjamin921
Well the search did not bring up what I was looking for and I need to know how to change all waypoints in a database to the same icon at one time, if possible?

I have looked at the help file and all but could not find what I was looking for there.

Also where do I find this box?

ChangeIcon.png

1. To change the value of any of the GSAK fields for more than one waypoint at a time, from the menu "Database=>Global Repace"

2. You will find that box on GPS=>Send Waypoints and any export that supports icons (For example, MapSource, MapSend, Delorme, Memory Map)

I started having an error happen when importing benckmarks from geocache.com. I sent the error to you and it returned a tracking number. I also notice that the "PID" imports, but not the "designation". The designation is important when you are locating several disks within a close distance of each other.

I started having an error happen when importing benckmarks from geocache.com.  I sent the error to you and it returned a tracking number.

I will check the error dump, but also please make sure you have the very latest version of GSAK (download from http://gsak.net)

I also notice that the "PID" imports, but not the "designation".  The designation is important when you are locating several disks within a close distance of each other.

Sounds like a case of GIGO to me (Garbage In Garbage Out)

GSAK can only show what you feed it, if this information is not in the original file you are loading then GSAK can't display it. Please interrogate your source data, and if you believe this information is in there and GSAK is not showing it, then please email me a copy of the GPX file you are loading.

Edited by ClydeE
I also notice that the "PID" imports, but not the "designation".  The designation is important when you are locating several disks within a close distance of each other.

Sounds like a case of GIGO to me (Garbage In Garbage Out)

GSAK can only show what you feed it, if this information is not in the original file you are loading then GSAK can't display it. Please interrogate your source data, and if you believe this information is in there and GSAK is not showing it, then please email me a copy of the GPX file you are loading.

I think Clyde's reading it right. This sounds like you are downloading a loc file off the benchmarking page in gc.com...you won't get much information that way.

You need to get datasheets from NGS that you convert into gpx files and then import them into GSAK. The process and links needed are described here. GSAK isn't mentioned in this particular description; go to GSAK once you have the gpx file to hand it.)

Thanks Clyde for a great product and even greater support.

Is there a way to know which row I am on in the data base?

If I have 3000 caches in my database and I am looking at the cache that is on row 55 down from the top, I am hoping that somewhere it will say row 55 out of 3000.

Thanks Clyde for a great product and even greater support.

If I have 3000 caches in my database and I am looking at the cache that is on row 55 down from the top, I am hoping that somewhere it will say row 55 out of 3000.

If there isn't, I would like to see this. Sometimes I want to export caches up to a certain cache. I can scan from through the list until I get to the one I am looking for, but I cannot use the mark nn option to set the user flag if I don't know how far from the top I am.

The other thing that wold be handy is to have the list scroll when I used the slider to position it. I realize that on a database application without having the entire db loaded into memory in the list box this may not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It is just nice to see where you are and release the mouse when you get there rather than just a blind guess with the slider.

The problem is when loading the GPX file you have checked the box "And ONLY update user flag if matched" - see picture below

load3.png

Please refer to the help file or online here

Basically, by checking that box ONLY the user flag is updated - NOTHING else. You would only do this when all you wanted to know which waypoints already existed in your database and didn't want to update any of them. Just uncheck this box and your problem will be solved.

See, I told you the answer was easy, I just could not find it. I need a computer program seeing eye dog/cat. :D:D:D

Thanks, Clyde

If there isn't, I would like to see this. Sometimes I want to export caches up to a certain cache. I can scan from through the list until I get to the one I am looking for, but I cannot use the mark nn option to set the user flag if I don't know how far from the top I am.

Assuming that you have your caches sorted by some criterion, a workaround is to filter based on that critierion and then set user flags for the filter. For example, if you have caches sorted by distance, and you scan through the list to the one you're looking for and want everything above that point:

1. Note the distance of the desired end cache,

2. Set a filter equal to that distance (actually, the next highest round number, since GSAK doesn't allow decimals).

3. Go to user flags, and choose "Set for filter only".

You may have to clear one or two users flags at the end of the list (to account for rounding up the distance), but this approach allows you to select an unknown number of caches between the top of the grid and some known row.

As for enhancements to GSAK, it might be easier if GSAK allowed for selection of multiple caches using SHIFT-click (i.e. click on the first row and shift-click on the end row, and everything in between is selected) than if you have to find the row number and then set the user flag for nn caches. Don't know if the software underlying GSAK allows use of this Windows convention (probably not, or there wouldn't be a need for user flags).

Unfortunately this is an Achilles heal of the database I am using. It provides instant feedback on the actual row number in the database, but this becomes useless when your data is filtered or sorted. The only way to get the row number when sorted or filtered is for GSAK to physically count the rows starting from the top. To have this as a column or even in the status area would slow down the operation of GSAK dramatically. However, I will look at allowing you to manually do this - perhaps via the right mouse click menu. That way you will at least be able to get the row number without it having to be needlessly calculated all the time.

Sometimes I want to export caches up to a certain cache. I can scan from through the list until I get to the one I am looking for, but I cannot use the mark nn option to set the user flag if I don't know how far from the top I am.

Actually you can do this, using the user flag - you just need to think outside the box.

1. Clear all user flags

2. Scan through the list until you get to the one you are looking for

3. Now position your cursor on the next row

4. Now set user flag for next 999999 (or suitably large number that make sure all rows have the user flag set to the end of the database)

5. Set a filter on " user flag = not set"

As for enhancements to GSAK, it might be easier if GSAK allowed for selection of multiple caches using SHIFT-click (i.e. click on the first row and shift-click on the end row, and everything in between is selected) than if you have to find the row number and then set the user flag for nn caches. Don't know if the software underlying GSAK allows use of this Windows convention (probably not, or there wouldn't be a need for user flags).

Yep, in a perfect world this is how I would have liked it to work also. However, one of the quirks of the grid I am using allows direct update or using selection of rows using the shift click - but not both. I figured having the ability to update the grid directly (found status, archive status, lock column, dnf, etc) was more useful.

Edited by ClydeE

Suggestions:

It would be nice to be able to store/load the definitions of exported files.

For example I use %drop2%typ=2 as a waypoint name and %Name (%Dif/%Ter) %typ as description format in one case but on another purpose the values are %code and %Name (%Dif%typ1%Ter).

It would be really nice if I didn't need to change these manually. (And of course the path & filename are different too).

Another one:

While waiting the attributes to be available from GCC:s GPX, could you add a column for them in advance so one could malually enter some data for e.g. winter- or kid-friendly cache (User Data column is already in use).

Thanks again for this superb tool, it's getting better all the time :lostsignal:

It would be nice to be able to store/load the definitions of exported files.

For example I use %drop2%typ=2 as a waypoint name and %Name (%Dif/%Ter) %typ as description format in one case but on another purpose the values are %code and %Name (%Dif%typ1%Ter).

It would be really nice if I didn't need to change these manually. (And of course the path & filename are different too).

You can do this now. That is exactly what "settings" are for. Just set up your export the way you like, then click on the save button to save your settings under a name that is meaningful to you. Now you can restore those settings at any time without having to rekey them. The "settings" are also available for you to use in macros. This is also a great feature for those that use more than one GPSr as the settings include the GPSr options and icon settings.

While waiting the attributes to be available from GCC:s GPX, could you add a column for them in advance so one could malually enter some data for e.g. winter- or kid-friendly cache (User Data column is already in use).

I really don't think it will be long before these turn up in GPX files. Rather that set something up that is going to be obsolete very soon, I would rather wait until these come out and then do the job properly.

Edited by ClydeE

I recently showed someone the power of GSAK (Clyde, you should know whom I mean). For reasons unbeknownst to me, they run their monitor at 800x600 and ain't changing it.

While GSAK comes up in all of it's splendid glory, and the cache info can be scrolled left and right, GSAK itself is cut off of some of it's right-side columns - like, everything from Database (of which we can see "Da" and that part of the entry field) onwards.

We managed to set the "Location" using the file menus, at which time we discovered we could manipulate the rest of the datafields, so overall no functionality is lost.

Mayhap there be a command line switch to make GSAK run "tiny" or other somesuch?

Just a usability question, everythning is working fine.

I recently showed someone the power of GSAK (Clyde, you should know whom I mean).  For reasons unbeknownst to me, they run their monitor at 800x600 and ain't changing it.

While GSAK comes up in all of it's splendid glory, and the cache info can be scrolled left and right, GSAK itself is cut off of some of it's right-side columns - like,  everything from Database (of which we can see "Da" and that part of the entry field) onwards.

We managed to set the "Location" using the file menus, at which time we discovered we could manipulate the rest of the datafields, so overall no functionality is lost.

Mayhap there be a command line switch to make GSAK run "tiny" or other somesuch? 

Just a usability question, everythning is working fine.

Although it is getting harder, the default shipped settings for GSAK still supports 800 x 600 screen resolution.

This means that all the GSAK dialogs should still fit on the screen without loosing any information.

If you can't see the "Database" drop down box in full, then it sounds like the shipped settings have been changed. Please note that you can customize the search bar (Right mouse click, select "customize search bar")

This will enable you to:

1. Select what items you would like to see in the search bar (get rid of the ones you don't use so you have more room for the ones you do)

2. Move any item to where you would like it

3. Resize any item

4. Resize the search bar itself (vertically). This is one way of getting all the available controls to fit on a 800 x 600 screen, but of course you loose some real estate in your grid view.

Edited by ClydeE
How do I get a file from GSAK and send it to Metroguide so I can see on the map what caches I have found and haven't found on the map?

It's Mapsource Metroguide, known as Mapsource in GSAK. Assuming your GSAK database contains the caches you want to map, from within GSAK go to File>Export>Mapsource MPS file.

If you check "Load File into Mapsource after Generation" in the export dialog, the program will open and the caches in your database will be displayed (otherwise you can open the saved mps file from within Metroguide).

Note: the newer versions of Mapsource use a different file type (gdb), but they will still import the old "mps" files. Clyde has not yet included gdb export because Garmin has not yet settled on a standard for it.

Edited by Kai Team

Hey just read about using custom icons [:mad:] kudos to you Robert that will be really cool, but that actually wasn't the reason I was comming here.

I was actually going to propose a feature suggestion. It would be really nice if when a log had a waypoint associated with it, there were a hyperlink in the the log that would direct you to some kind of mapping site (mapquest would be fine for me). I'm thinking about traveling caches, before the owner of the cache updates the cache coordinates...

OK, now I gotta go get custom icons working [:(]

Feature request or guidance needed:

I use streets and trips - I have loaded in the cache images from GC.com to use as custom pushpins. I then do three imports (trad, multi, puzzle) into S&T. It would be great if I could tell GSAK to output the caches in the current filter into three files automatically-

e.g. mycaches_trad.txt, mycaches_multi.txt, mycaches_puz.txt rather than having to filter for each type, then do a seperate export.

Maybe this is already possible??

Thanks, AJK

Maybe this is already possible??

Like most things in GSAK, yes. It's already possible.

Macros will do the trick, although I'm not the person to explain how to do it. My experience with macros was on a previous version where I did some experimentation. I understand the latest version of GSAK has an expanded macro feature.

Jamie

To answer my own question: Set up 3 or more filters (I called them trad, multi, puzzle, other)- note the name you save them as. Make a macro:

FILTER NAME=TRAD

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\TRAD.CSV"

FILTER NAME=MULTI

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\MULTI.CSV"

FILTER NAME=PUZZLE

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\PUZZLE.CSV"

FILTER NAME=OTHER

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\OTHER.CSV"

Bingo, 4 csv files ready to go. As to the question why do I do this - it allows me to import the files and assign them different icons - i.e. I end up with an S&T map that looks like GC maps.

To answer my own question: Set up 3 or more filters (I called them trad, multi, puzzle, other)- note the name you save them as. Make a macro:

FILTER NAME=TRAD

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\TRAD.CSV"

FILTER NAME=MULTI

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\MULTI.CSV"

FILTER NAME=PUZZLE

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\PUZZLE.CSV"

FILTER NAME=OTHER

EXPORT Type=SNT File="C:\OTHER.CSV"

Bingo, 4 csv files ready to go. As to the question why do I do this - it allows me to import the files and assign them different icons - i.e. I end up with an S&T map that looks like GC maps.

Yes indeed, macros to the rescue.

And don't forget, if this is something you do often you can add a button to the toolbar to call up this macro - then the whole process is only one mouse click away.

Clyde,

older versions(4.2) of GSAK allowed for HTML in the logs. The current does no longer allow this.

Has this been changed intentionally? Or is it a bug?

Regards,

myce

I don't recall Groundspeak ever allowing embedded HTML in the logs.

In order for this to work, the GPX files needs to show if the data has embedded HTML or not. The name space in the geocahing.com GPX files allow for this in the short and long descriptions with the HTML="True/False" element. There is no such provision with the logs.

If it did work before, then it would actaully be version 4.2 that had the bug.

Edited by ClydeE

I see. Those .gpx-files weren't from Groundspeak, but converted from other sources.

I can live with that...

One other point: Encrypted log-entries. GSAk seems not to support them. Is that planned for a future version?

myce

I see. Those .gpx-files weren't from Groundspeak, but converted from other sources.

I can live with that...

One other point: Encrypted log-entries. GSAk seems not to support them. Is that planned for a future version?

myce

Yes, this will come in a later release.

I can live with that...

myce

Is it the logs themselves or GPX that doesn't (didn't) support HTML? I see several logs with links to things and colored text. For example, some of the folks from SLAGA are putting in plugs for MOGA in their log entries encouraging folks to attend the event, and using colors to "Sign" the logs. See GCE655 and reference the log from BlueBeadMan. If this isn't HTML, then how is he doing that? That is not a sarcastic question by the way.

I can live with that...

myce

Is it the logs themselves or GPX that doesn't (didn't) support HTML? I see several logs with links to things and colored text. For example, some of the folks from SLAGA are putting in plugs for MOGA in their log entries encouraging folks to attend the event, and using colors to "Sign" the logs. See GCE655 and reference the log from BlueBeadMan. If this isn't HTML, then how is he doing that? That is not a sarcastic question by the way.

I must admit, this is puzzling to me too. If you take a look at the syntax for the log for the part that is in blue it is:

[blue]Blue Bead Man[/blue]

This is not valid HTML syntax for showing this text in blue, and if you place that in HTML that is exacly how it comes out (with the word in square brackets and all). The correct syntax to render this in a browser would be <font color="blue">Blue Bead Man</font>

I get the feeling there is some special form of coding you can use when making logs in Groundspeak to do this (which I am obviously not aware of). When Groundspeak read this "special" coding the correct HTML syntax is generated so your browser correctly shows the information in blue.

Is this a new log feature at Grounspeak?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this?

Edited by ClydeE