Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Two requests for GSAK

- Option to suppress music some people are adding to their web-pages. Each time I click on the cache in GSAK the music plays

In the meantime, try turning your speakers off when using GSAK - makes the music much less annoying! :P

Or turn off "play sounds" in your web browser settings.

This is actually one of the problems with this request. Playing of sounds in HTML is browser specific and GSAK does not have control of your browser.

In my case I use a program called "AdSubtract", which uses a proxy server to allow me to suppress music and background graphics without having to "turn off" things. What I wanted was to have GSAK use the same technique or my proxy server to suppress those things I don't want - I guess it's just to bad - thanks anyway........ :P

Allthough it does say that the filter has been dropped, I find that after the files have been downloaded into GSAK and you have clicked on the OK(this is what has been loaded) window, GSAK is still in the same filter mode and all that has been realy done is the name in the little window has been removed. This might be a bug, but it is a good kind of bug.

Darn, my version doesn't have that bug. The filter is set to NONE and all my caches, not just the checked ones, show. Oh well, I needed to learn about macros anyway and since it's been cold (OK, call me a wimp - South Carolina cold ain't exactly life-threatening) for caching, I should have some time on my hands....

jon

Are you a Garmin Quest user?

Thanks to Robert Lipe, I now have a special build of Gpsbabel that has tentative support for this model.

If you would like to give it a try and reports success or failure, please contact me via private email and I will send you a copy.

Is there a way to change the symbols used to export to GPX files? Or is there a way to have the URL (online URL) preserved when exporting to MapSource?

I have changed the symbols to the way I like it for exporting to my GPS, and then when exporting to MapSource I checked the "Use same icons as GPS" box. Problem is that the exporting to MapSource doesn't preserve the URL field (unless I'm doing something wrong there?).

So I tried exporting to GPX format, and then opened that in MapSource and the URL field is correct, but the symbols are not.

Sure would be nice to have one or the other.

Thanks.

I recently installed GSAK and cachemate. I can get the download into my laptop ok it's exporting to my palm 31 pda. Export>cachemate PDB file> and then hotsync and generate. All goes well I get the Running CMCONVERT  under the hood and then an  " ERROR SENDING WAYPOINTS " The error message I get is INSTALL T00L ERROR unable to install: ( it lists the file and says) it does not exist.Can someone help me with this problem. A warm northern thanks.

I'd try the following troubleshooting steps:

Double check the path you're specifying under "PDB File to Create" in the "Export Cachemate PDB file" dialog window to make sure the path and folder exist on your PC. If not, correct the path or create the folder and then try again.

If the path is correct, go to the folder specified (i.e. with Windows Explorer if you're using Windows) and see if the PDB file exists in that folder.

If the file exists, try opening the Palm Install tool and installing the file to the PDA manually.

These steps will help narrow down if it's a problem with the path, with GSAK/GPSBabble, or with the install tool.

Is there a way to change the symbols used to export to GPX files? Or is there a way to have the URL (online URL) preserved when exporting to MapSource?

I have changed the symbols to the way I like it for exporting to my GPS, and then when exporting to MapSource I checked the "Use same icons as GPS" box. Problem is that the exporting to MapSource doesn't preserve the URL field (unless I'm doing something wrong there?).

So I tried exporting to GPX format, and then opened that in MapSource and the URL field is correct, but the symbols are not.

Sure would be nice to have one or the other.

Thanks.

Allowing for symbols on GPX generation is on "the list" and will pop up in a future release.

The current MPS format does not support URL's and for the reason why GDB format is not supported please see this post

FotoMoto doesn't describe what GPS (we can deduce it's a Garmin-like substance) or which symbols are in question, but it's worth mentioning to those that have been chomping at the bit for custom icons in the "C" family - and now quest - and are willing to give up geocaching mode to use them that the firmware that just went into beta for the 60c/76c units allegedly quits mangling the custom icon symbols during a waypoint write.

I can neither confirm nor deny those allegations at this time. :unsure:

Hi Clyde

Is there a way to transfer the found cache status into a Cachemate PDB ?

I explain....

There is a Found check box in the Log tab of Cachemate. Usually you check this box after you found the cache. Sometime you just don't take the time to do this in the field. GSAK know about those caches I have found, so, is-it possible that when I export to Cachemate this flag be updated?

Thanks

-OpusTerra

I explain....

There is a Found check box in the Log tab of Cachemate. Usually you check this box after you found the cache. Sometime you just don't take the time to do this in the field. GSAK know about those caches I have found, so, is-it possible that when I export to Cachemate this flag be updated?

Is this flag not already updated when you transfer found caches to CacheMate?

If it is then you just have to flag your cache as found.

If it is not, then I do not know of any way to update this flag as I don't actually do the conversion in GSAK - it is just passed on to the command line version of CMConvert

Background: I have separate GSAK databases, one per state. My PQ's limit waypoint extractions to a specific state. I load these periodically, and keep all old logs per cache. (i.e. I don't delete the logs and keep them for historical reasons)

Today, I am preparing for a trip, so did not limit my PQ's to within a state, and performed several PQ's spaced out along my route. I created a new GSAK database, 'temp', and loaded all of them into that. I sorted by state, and interatively set flags on a single state, moved those waypoints to the respective State DB, and repeated.

A few observations while performing the Move/Copy Waypoints function under the Database tab::

After setting the user flags, I used the builtin filter to only show these waypoints. After the move, the filter result is 0 (empty), so the filter is deactivated, and all remaining waypoints are shown. The filter pulldown window still shows my old filter selection, even though it is no longer active. When the filter is considered invalid by producing an empty set, shouldn't this be reset to 'NONE' as well?

After a set of waypoints is transferred, the window refreshes and my sort column is reset. I have to reselect sort-by-state after every single move/copy. Can this be remembered?

Similarly, the differences between Center Point and Locations window selection appears to be a little confusing and inconsistent. I think a 'Not selected' line should show when the item visible in the Location box is not being used. The Locations selection seems to make a temporary Center Point. After a transfer, or a number of other functions, the window refreshes based on the Center Point or Alphabetically, rather than the previously/currently selected Location. If the Location box is selected, can we use that and remember that we are using that? When 'Not selected' is chosen, begin using the stored Center Point again?

My main reason for writing is that I made an incorrect assumption that the move/copy waypoints to a database was like importing them from the GPX file. I separated VA, DC, and MD waypoints from the Temp DB, and ended up losing my log history on the transferred waypoints. Is there a way that we can save the old logs during a waypoint transfer -- i.e. a waypoint 'Merge' perhaps. Or can we filter a GPX file load to just load entries meeting a criteria -- State?, cache type?, difficulty?, terrain?. I know, PQ has these filters, but you only get 5 per day. I used my 5 for large dumps around VA, DC, Baltimore, Trenton, & New York City, for my trip to Connecticut.

Oh, well. Just thought I'd share that in case others are moving/copying waypoints. You will lose your old log histories.

-Bisanabi

After setting the user flags, I used the builtin filter to only show these waypoints. After the move, the filter result is 0 (empty), so the filter is deactivated, and all remaining waypoints are shown. The filter pulldown window still shows my old filter selection, even though it is no longer active. When the filter is considered invalid by producing an empty set, shouldn't this be reset to 'NONE' as well?

Yes, I will fix this in the next release.

After a set of waypoints is transferred, the window refreshes and my sort column is reset. I have to reselect sort-by-state after every single move/copy. Can this be remembered?

I'll take a look at that one too.

Similarly, the differences between Center Point and Locations window selection appears to be a little confusing and inconsistent. I think a 'Not selected' line should show when the item visible in the Location box is not being used. The Locations selection seems to make a temporary Center Point. After a transfer, or a number of other functions, the window refreshes based on the Center Point or Alphabetically, rather than the previously/currently selected Location. If the Location box is selected, can we use that and remember that we are using that? When 'Not selected' is chosen, begin using the stored Center Point again?

Ditto

My main reason for writing is that I made an incorrect assumption that the move/copy waypoints to a database was like importing them from the GPX file.

Yes, the help file does say that the waypoint in the destination database will be replaced - not merged. However, If what you really want is to merge waypoint logs just export those waypoints to a GPX file (GSAK can export all logs and is not limited to 5) then load that GPX file into the other database. When you do this all logs are merged.

My main reason for writing is that I made an incorrect assumption that the move/copy waypoints to a database was like importing them from the GPX file.

Yes, the help file does say that the waypoint in the destination database will be replaced - not merged. However, If what you really want is to merge waypoint logs just export those waypoints to a GPX file (GSAK can export all logs and is not limited to 5) then load that GPX file into the other database. When you do this all logs are merged.

The comments on the transfer page and in the help file are quite explicit. I just missed the subtlety :rolleyes: purely my fault. Just wanted to let others know in case they missed it too.

I came up with the GPX export and import idea also, and will probably do that tomorrow. My 5 PQ's cover 9 states, redundantly. Since I name my DBs by the state abbrevs used in the state column, can I use a macro to somehow dump records automagically to each database based on the value in the state field?

Sorry, it's late, so I'm asking. I'll RTFM tomorrow when I wake up and try to figure it out myself. However, if anyone already does this easily, please pipe up. :anicute: Happy caching!!

I regularly load a selection of pocket query results into GSAK, so I find the "Most Recent" list in the Open GPX/LOC File dialog quite useful. It would be even more useful if GSAK could be configured to not remember files that have been loaded from certain locations. e.g. the temp directory which is used when you download one of the GPX/LOC files on an individual cache listing page. This would prevent it from being cluttered up with temporary files.

Edited by JDHnz

I don't know if this is a GSAK problem but I am going to ask anyways. I tried to export to my palm and got the following messages. A box labeled Install Tool Error popped up and inside it, Unknown error -521! I clicked okay and it then said unable to locate users.dat! I have been exporting for about a month and this is the first time this has happened. Can you help?

I'm having a bit of trouble with the locations tab under 'options' I have it set up as follows:

Home, N(coords), W(coords), 5

Yet, I'm still getting caches listed around my home at a distance greater than 5 miles. What am I doing wrong?

(NOTE: I do have actual numbers for the coords)

I'm having a bit of trouble with the locations tab under 'options' I have it set up as follows:

Home, N(coords), W(coords), 5

Yet, I'm still getting caches listed around my home at a distance greater than 5 miles. What am I doing wrong?

(NOTE: I do have actual numbers for the coords)

As per the help file the locations are used to set your current centre point and for distance and bearing indexes when you generate HTML.

The optional distance parmamer is only used when you generated HTML files (this makes this format compatible with reflocations.txt file from GPX Spinner). Please see the help file for more information on this subject.

If you only want to see caches 5 miles from home then:

1. Set "Home" as your current centre point

2. Set a filter on distance less than or equal to 5

Hi Clyde

I'm really, really pleased you have added support for Memory-Map exports to GSAK - although I have to use version 3.1.6 of Memory Map because of OS licencing restrictions the CSV file format manages to be consistent since the extra "new" fields are just ignored apparently. I do have one request, however. You appear to have hard coded the 9th field "Display" to be a 1 - this causes the name NOT to be displayed (according to MM help "the logic got inverted somehow") - I personally like to have the name displayed for all waypoints. Would it be possible to have this controllable by an option in the memory Map Export dialog?

I LOVE GSAK - thanks for all you hard work on it - and yes - I did pay for it <_<

Cheers

Another request re Memory Map export (and possible bug report).

I was trying to make it generate a customised URL by entering in a string in that field. What I entered was

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=%code&log=y

so that I would get the full expanded log whenever I did an "Open File" in MM. However this made the export go beserk and every entry was now split into more than one record and it seemed to have made the same substitution for %code on every record (actually choosing a cache from a different database <_< ).

I suspect you never anticipated people using tags in this field but it would be really handy to be able to do so.

Cheers

Another request - this time for ALL export formats.

In the GPS->Send Waypoints feature you can specify how many waypoints to send. In order to do the same thing in any of the exports you have to figure out how far away the nth cache is from the centre point, concoct a filter that eliminates everything further than that (assuming you are sorting by distance - I haven't even figured out how to do this if you have some other kind of sort in place) and then do your export. It would be really nice to have a means of specifiying a limit on how many caches to export directly. This is particularly important for the HTML ones which can get quite large and chew up all the available space on my PDA when I send them over there.

Thanks

I recently installed GSAK and cachemate. I can get the download into my laptop ok it's exporting to my palm 31 pda. Export>cachemate PDB file> and then hotsync and generate. All goes well I get the Running CMCONVERT  under the hood and then an  " ERROR SENDING WAYPOINTS " The error message I get is INSTALL T00L ERROR unable to install: ( it lists the file and says) it does not exist.Can someone help me with this problem. A warm northern thanks.

I'd try the following troubleshooting steps:

Double check the path you're specifying under "PDB File to Create" in the "Export Cachemate PDB file" dialog window to make sure the path and folder exist on your PC. If not, correct the path or create the folder and then try again.

If the path is correct, go to the folder specified (i.e. with Windows Explorer if you're using Windows) and see if the PDB file exists in that folder.

If the file exists, try opening the Palm Install tool and installing the file to the PDA manually.

These steps will help narrow down if it's a problem with the path, with GSAK/GPSBabble, or with the install tool.

I had a vaguely similar problem for a while - I was exporting cachemate files, and wanted them automatically put on my Install to PDA list. At some point, I got an error similar to Team2Hunt, and so I un-clicked the "install to PDA" box on the export page, and was adding them to the list with the PDA sync software's install tool. Later I realised that after the first exported CM file was added to the list, I didn't click "Done" but went back to GSAK and started exporting another one - and when I did, that's when I got the error. So now when my exported CM file has been added to the PDA Install list, I click "Done" *before* going back to GSAk for the next export. Haven't had the error since.

I think it might be trying to start up a second instance of the install tool, and that's why it fails with that error - the install tool is already open and waiting for a dialogue box to be clicked.

Another request - this time for ALL export formats.

In the GPS->Send Waypoints feature you can specify how many waypoints to send. In order to do the same thing in any of the exports you have to figure out how far away the nth cache is from the centre point, concoct a filter that eliminates everything further than that (assuming you are sorting by distance - I haven't even figured out how to do this if you have some other kind of sort in place) and then do your export. It would be really nice to have a means of specifiying a limit on how many caches to export directly. This is particularly important for the HTML ones which can get quite large and chew up all the available space on my PDA when I send them over there.

Thanks

You can use the User Flag option for Set for next nn Records to select the number or waypoints you want to transfer, then use the filter on user flag to display only those, then do the export.

A single field in the export might be easier, but this will work. It is what I do when I export stuff out of GSAK.

...specify how many waypoints to send. In order to do the same thing in any of the exports you have to figure out how far away the nth cache is from the centre point, concoct a filter that eliminates everything further than that and then do your export. It would be really nice to have a means of specifiying a limit on how many caches to export directly.

You are exporting everything you see in your "filter set". Sort by distance, clear user tags, use "Set nn tags" to set however many waypoints you wish to export. Then use the last builtin filter from the filter pull-down list -- only showing user flagged entries.

(assuming you are sorting by distance - I haven't even figured out how to do this if you have some other kind of sort in place)

As I said above, temporarily sort by distance, do your filter, then re-sort by whatever you were sorting by...

Also if the number of waypoints you select for the export is often the same (say 500) you may want to consider creating a macro for this. You can also add this macro as a tool button then it is only one mouse click away. Sample macro to select the first 500 waypoints in ANY filter or sort sequence:

USERFLAG type=clear range=all

USERFLAG type=set range=500

FILTER name="User flag = set" (or whatever you have called this filter)

Edited by ClydeE

ClydeE - I tried to set up GSAK running in two different user accounts on a computer I share. I wanted my databases to remain separate from theirs and have us both remain secure from accidental changes by the other user.

Based on my first experiment, it looks like everyone shares the same settings - that is if I set the database folder for user A, the same database folder appears to be set for user B. Ditto for backups.

Is there a way to keep the settings by user rather than globally? If not, is there another approach to try?

Otherwise, I guess we'll just be careful and back up a lot.

Jon

Actually I have a second related question/concern. Is there a problem in leaving GSAK open in one account then doing a switch to the other account and using GSAK in that one while the other is still "open"?

I would expect we'll be using different databases most of the time, but it occurred to me that some files (settings) might be shared and maybe could be corrupted?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Jon

ClydeE - I tried to set up GSAK running in two different user accounts on a computer I share. I wanted my databases to remain separate from theirs and have us both remain secure from accidental changes by the other user.

Based on my first experiment, it looks like everyone shares the same settings - that is if I set the database folder for user A, the same database folder appears to be set for user B. Ditto for backups.

Is there a way to keep the settings by user rather than globally? If not, is there another approach to try?

Otherwise, I guess we'll just be careful and back up a lot.

Jon

Yes, you can do this but you will need to install GSAK to a different folder for the second user.

hey clyde i just downloaded waypoints of locationless caches, and where it shows the cache type it shows them to be benchmarks. also when i try to look at the cache it does not give any information for it.

You haven't said what your source data is but is sounds like LOC files to me.

LOC files do not contain the cache type. (However, the latest release of GSAK does have a small bug in that they should all show as type "Other" rather than "Benchmark" - this will be fixed in the next release)

But for the real issues behind your problem, please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Edited by ClydeE

I explain....

If it is not, then I do not know of any way to update this flag as I don't actually do the conversion in GSAK - it is just passed on to the command line version of CMConvert

The Found flag is really checked in GSAK. It just don`t get updated in Cachemate. I will try some experiments with CmConvert...

Thanks

This may be a 'new feature" request or just something I am missing.

Is there a way while doing a import of a GPX file to have GSAK only set the user flag of those added or some other way to identify them?

I thought I could do this by simply sorting on the PLACE date, however in my area there are a lot of events that show a future date and many people appear to be posting caches with future dates (a whole other discussion) so I have a large number to wade thru to get to what i want.

In addition, the way my some of my PQ's are set, to get only ones Ihave not found, as I find caches the area expands, so some are added that may be older than sorting on the PLACED date would be useful for would be useful for.

This may be a 'new feature" request or just something I am missing.

Is there a way while doing a import of a GPX file to have GSAK only set the user flag of those added or some other way to identify them?

I thought I could do this by simply sorting on the PLACE date, however in my area there are a lot of events that show a future date and many people appear to be posting caches with future dates (a whole other discussion) so I have a large number to wade thru to get to what i want.

In addition, the way my some of my PQ's are set, to get only ones Ihave not found, as I find caches the area expands, so some are added that may be older than sorting on the PLACED date would be useful for would be useful for.

You can use the "user flag" but this method is a bit convoluted, so I will only go down that road if you really want me to.

However, you really don't need to. Just use the "Created Date". This is the date the waypoint is added to the database.

If you do not have the "Created Date" in your current view you can add it via Tools=>Options=>Display (remember you can drag the column heading to place this column anywhere you like in the grid)

However, you really don't need to. Just use the "Created Date". This is the date the waypoint is added to the database.

If you do not have the "Created Date" in your current view you can add it via Tools=>Options=>Display (remember you can drag the column heading to place this column anywhere you like in the grid)

I tried that, except the majority defaulted to 10/27/04 with PLACED dates much earlier. As an example, GCHR9P placed 2/24/04 shows the above creation date.

Edited by baloo&bd

Hello Clyde

I searched the menues and the help files. For a cache homework I need a project waypoint feature. I couldn't find a way in GSAK.

Is this possible as context menu with right click on the waypoint to enter the bearing and the distance and get a new waypoint?

Chris

I tried that, except the majority defaulted to 10/27/04 with PLACED dates much earlier. As an example, GCHR9P placed 2/24/04 shows the above creation date.

I don't quite follow ....

When you load a GPX file, GSAK checks to see if the waypoint aready exists in the database or not. If the waypoint does not exists it is added and the creation date gets set to the current date (or what ever your computer has as the current date).

So, your example is telling me that when first added cache GCHR9P to your database the date was 2/24/04. Is this not correct? Is your computer date set correctly? Was is correct at the time the cache was added? Can you isolate or replicate additions where you believe the "creating date" is not correct?

Another words, can you explain why the "created date" is not working for you?

Hello Clyde

I searched the menues and the help files. For a cache homework I need a project waypoint feature. I couldn't find a way in GSAK.

Is this possible as context menu with right click on the waypoint to enter the bearing and the distance and get a new waypoint?

Chris

You currently can not do this. I will add this to "the list"

GSAK Tip

Not happy with the current waypoint that is selected after you sort a column?

When you click on a column heading to sort the data, GSAK has two options for selection of the current waypoint after the reshuffle

1. The data is sorted in the new sequence, but the current waypoint remains selected

2. The data is sorted, then the very first waypoint in the new sort sequence is selected

You can alter this behaviour via Tools=>Options=>General and the "Move to first waypoint after column sequence change" box

More information can be found in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7695.htm

Edit:

On a related note, if you find that after every time you set a centre point you then always sort by distance, you can set GSAK to do this automatically. Tools=>Options=>General and check the box "Automactically sort by distance after setting a centre point"

Edited by ClydeE
On a related note, if you find that after every time you set a centre point you then always sort by distance, you can set GSAK to do this automatically. Tools=>Options=>General and check the box "Automactically sort by distance after setting a centre point"

This works fine if the centre point is set manually, but doesn't if the centre is set by applying a saved filter in which the centre was saved.

Bug, feature, or user error?

This works fine if the centre point is set manually, but doesn't if the centre is set by applying a saved filter in which the centre was saved.

Bug, feature, or user error?

Currently, this is by design.

The main purpose of saving a centre point with a filter (which is optional) is so the filter will work when you restore it. This becomes especially apparent if your filter has any reference to distance or bearing.

Feedback I have had thus far is that when restoring a filter, users don't want to loose their current sorting sequence regardless if the filter contains a centre point or not.

I downloaded GSAK, fired it up and it just sits there.  I uninstalled, re installed and it happens again. Looking in task manager it says Not Responding.  Any ideas? I have a new Dell running XP.

I also have a dell (laptop) running xp. I also went through what you described, by d/ling gsak installed it, run it and it just sat there and said not responding. I waited a few minutes and the program started running. I assume that it was doing something internally, and took a while to complete whatever it was doing. It runs now without the delay it originally had.

Same thing here on a Dell running XP. Weird thing is it did OK for a couple of days, but now it is not responding. I've reloaded it a couple of times and it's currently not responding. Any advice?

I downloaded GSAK, fired it up and it just sits there.  I uninstalled, re installed and it happens again. Looking in task manager it says Not Responding.  Any ideas? I have a new Dell running XP.

I also have a dell (laptop) running xp. I also went through what you described, by d/ling gsak installed it, run it and it just sat there and said not responding. I waited a few minutes and the program started running. I assume that it was doing something internally, and took a while to complete whatever it was doing. It runs now without the delay it originally had.

Same thing here on a Dell running XP. Weird thing is it did OK for a couple of days, but now it is not responding. I've reloaded it a couple of times and it's currently not responding. Any advice?

Please see this post

I also had one user fix this problem =>

When GSAK was running (but not responding) I

decided to restart Windows without first ending GSAK.

I obviously received the 'not responding.... End Now' warning and when I

clicked the 'End Now' button, GSAK started (and Windows did not shut

down). Now GSAK is starting without any problems. Problem solved!!

I explain....

The Found flag is really checked in GSAK. It just don`t get updated in Cachemate. I will try some experiments with CmConvert...

Thanks

Just to close this case, I have developped a manual procedure that gives me good flexible results. I should have intitulated this topic as "Another way to use Cachemate with GSAK!"

The principle is simple: Let GSAK control the Cachemate data :ph34r: !

So if I want all my found caches to appear in a Found category here is what I do:

First make sure that you have the Preferences setupped this way in Cachemate

Merge Import file records -> Checked

Preserve old item category -> Unchecked

1) Using a filter in GSAK that is setupped to select records that represent caches you found, you export the query result to a Cachemate PDB file.

2) After an Hotsync operation, you import the records into the Found category

3) With the Found category selected, you use the Record menu in Cachemate and you Mark Recs as Found.

This complete the job for the Found flag!

About a more general procedure:

The way I use Cachemate is only just to be paperless in the field. So for me there is nothing I write in Cachemate that I want to keep. I take all my notes in a small logbook I bring with me ... So Cachemate is only used as a reference.

Sometime I purge all the recs in Cachemate and I use this more general procedure to put fresh data in Cachemate:

1) Using a GSAK filter named 4GPS which brings me all the waypoints I want to transfer to my GPS, I also generate a PDB file for Cachemate. After an hotsync, I import all these records into my personal Not Found category.

2) I do the same thing with a filter named My Geocaches which is then imported into the Owned category in Cachemate.

3) Finally, I do the same thing with the Found filter as explained above.

Before I go geocaching, I make sure I have new caches as well as updated logs for the others. For this I transfer the result of my 4GPS filter to both GPS and Cachemate. To simplify the usage of my Palm in the field, most of the time I bookmark those I expect to go to.

That's it !

Edited by OpusTerra

I just downloaded (and registered) GSAK. Looks like a great program. I have one general question....

When I send cache waypoints from GSAK to my Meridian Platinum, will it overwrite the waypoints I allready have loaded on the GPS? I have several waypoints that I like to keep on the GPS, such as "Home". If it does overwrite, I assume I can just make sure that I upload the original waypoints I want to keep with each set of caches I want to put on the GPS. Just curious.