Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde,

This is similar to a question about automatically creating the folder that has come up before. I made a point that applied to files, and you pointed out that I was talking apples and oranges because what the html export wanted was a folder. I let it go back then, but was curious, and now that it has come up again, it has gotten the best of me. WHY are you asking for a folder for the html? Are you writing out multiple files or something like that. I have see MS Word do things like that when it creates html. But it asks for a file name, and that is where the html goes. Under that directory it creates supporting directories for the extra things like images it wants to put in separate files.

ooh this is a good and obscure one.... sorry clyde its partly related to html export and partly not. If you have a macro that exports using settings to a folder and you then stupidly delete the folder and run the macro, you get the above error message but no dialog box telling you WHAT the folder is - just the ok button. If you then go to html export you get the same error message everytime with no html export dialog.

If however you create the directory and do a manual export you get the nice dialog box asking you which folder you want it in, cancel the dialog box, delete the directory and then export again and you get the normal dialog box (with no message about the directory not existing)

In the end I looked in gsak.ini, saw

[TfmHtml]

edtHtmFolder.Text=d:\temp\gsakhtml

and created the gsakhtml dir in d:\temp to get round the error message.

Clyde asks for a folder name as he creates all the html files (for each query such as distance, density,difficulty etc in different directories and the images in another directory etc. This is also good as i can export different filters to different directories and have 3 or 4 index.html files as a starting point. for example i have one for a meeting i am going to tomorrow and another one for all unfound caches within 25 miles of home.

Edited by DomHeknows
ooh this is a good and obscure one.... sorry clyde its partly related to html export and partly not. If you have a macro that exports using settings to a folder and you then stupidly delete the folder and run the macro, you get the above error message but no dialog box telling you WHAT the folder is - just the ok button. If you then go to html export you get the same error message everytime with no html export dialog.

If however you create the directory and do a manual export you get the nice dialog box asking you which folder you want it in, cancel the dialog box, delete the directory and then export again and you get the normal dialog box (with no message about the directory not existing)

In the end I looked in gsak.ini, saw

[TfmHtml]

edtHtmFolder.Text=d:\temp\gsakhtml

and created the gsakhtml dir in d:\temp to get round the error message.

Clyde asks for a folder name as he creates all the html files (for each query such as distance, density,difficulty etc in different directories and the images in another directory etc. This is also good as i can export different filters to different directories and have 3 or 4 index.html files as a starting point. for example i have one for a meeting i am going to tomorrow and another one for all unfound caches within 25 miles of home.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I will address these issues in the next release.

Clyde,

This is similar to a question about automatically creating the folder that has come up before. I made a point that applied to files, and you pointed out that I was talking apples and oranges because what the html export wanted was a folder. I let it go back then, but was curious, and now that it has come up again, it has gotten the best of me. WHY are you asking for a folder for the html? Are you writing out multiple files or something like that. I have see MS Word do things like that when it creates html. But it asks for a file name, and that is where the html goes. Under that directory it creates supporting directories for the extra things like images it wants to put in separate files.

GSAK can not work like Microsoft Word for HTML generation because we are not generating just one document

When you take the option to generate HTML GSAK does not generate one file but many HTML files. With all the summaries and individual cache pages it is not possible to just generate one HTML file. Also these HTML files require corresponding graphic files (Like log smilies and Difficulty/Terrain stars).

So when you do the generation GSAK must ask for a folder (not a file) to put all these files in.

Edited by ClydeE
OK, first I download USB drivers 2.1 from Garmin. Then, when I download ver. 3.6, the updater doesn't see any USB device. So I can't get unit software and GSAK doesn't see it when I turn it on. I have no idea what to do!

Thanks, Awkward Socks

Your computer must see this as a USB device before you have any chance of this working. You might get lucky and someone here will be able to give you some pointers, but you need to discover why the drivers are not loading properly or showing on your computer first. (perhaps ask you question on a Garmin related board)

Clyde - I like to use the option to set user flags when importing pocket queries and filter based on the checked records to see what downloaded. I have a filter named "checked" that does the obvious and I use the option on the import to clear all user flags first.

If I leave the "checked" filter active, the "clear user flags first" clears the flags, invokes the test, clears the filter, and imports with the filter set to "none". Then I get to set the "checked" filter again.

This is a really minor request and might be awkward to change, but would it be reasonable to delay the test for zero records until after the download is complete? What I'd like to see is the clearing of user flags to take place as it does now, but to test the active filter afer the import, not before.

No big deal, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Jon

Clyde - I like to use the option to set user flags when importing pocket queries and filter based on the checked records to see what downloaded. I have a filter named "checked" that does the obvious and I use the option on the import to clear all user flags first.

If I leave the "checked" filter active, the "clear user flags first" clears the flags, invokes the test, clears the filter, and imports with the filter set to "none". Then I get to set the "checked" filter again.

This is a really minor request and might be awkward to change, but would it be reasonable to delay the test for zero records until after the download is complete? What I'd like to see is the clearing of user flags to take place as it does now, but to test the active filter afer the import, not before.

Jon

Unfortunately this is not possible. The flags MUST be cleared before the load is done and this "test" as you call is done at the database level and not at the load level.

If this is something you do often I suggest you just set up a macro for it and place a button on the tool bar. The all you have to do is click on the button and the whole lot gets done in one step

Sample macro template

LOAD settings="Load GPX and set flag"

FILTER name="user flag = set"

Clyde,

Thanks for the directory vs. file explanation. That clears up a lot.

Awkward Socks:

Have you installed MapSource that came with your 60CS on your new computer? It should load the drivers and at least get you connected even if the drivers are old. I would do that and make sure you can download from the 60CS into Mapsource to make sure that the connection is in place before even talking about GSAK. Otherwise it is a Garmin problem and maybe the 60CS discussion thread may be a good place to iron out a connection problem.

FWIW, on the Interface setup screen, if everything is working and set up, when you plug in the USB cable between the PC and the 60CS, it should show "Connected". If not, then it isn't going to be visible to any programs.

Hey,

I don't have the mapsource cd with me, it's been left in Knoxville somewhere. Can I download it from garmin anywhere? I tried, but it was an update, and when it didn't see my older version it didn't install. Thanks for the help.

(The interface setup screen does say connected)

Edited by Awkward Socks
Clyde - I like to use the option to set user flags when importing pocket queries and filter based on the checked records to see what downloaded.  I have a filter named "checked" that does the obvious and I use the option on the import to clear all user flags first.

Jon

Unfortunately this is not possible. The flags MUST be cleared before the load is done and this "test" as you call is done at the database level and not at the load level.

If this is something you do often I suggest you just set up a macro for it and place a button on the tool bar. The all you have to do is click on the button and the whole lot gets done in one step

Sample macro template

LOAD settings="Load GPX and set flag"

FILTER name="user flag = set"

Yep, I thought it might be more than "awkward". I've been lazy and haven't done anything with macros yet, so this will be a good incentive.

thanks for looking at the suggestion,

Jon

Two requests for GSAK

- Option to suppress music some people are adding to their web-pages. Each time I click on the cache in GSAK the music plays

- Option to suppress background pictures/graphics some people are adding to their webpages - just annoying during split screen browsing

--- As always, if possible.............

Thanks again for GSAK, hope you have enough paying customers to give you time to enjoy your product............

Edited by Frog Man

Just started playing with it today seems to work with little to no problems . Best way to use it is to export it to mapsource then import it to the gps from there (at least that's the way I did it ). Wait you can just export it directly from GSAK just look and tried it it works so there's 2 . I'm still learning (I literally just got the unit today) .

You can run it through Mapsource if that turns you on, but most folks can use GSAK to shoot directly to their units over USB becuase some people (mostly GSAK users) paid the way to make that code happen for the current generation of 60C, 76C, LegendC, VistaC and Quest owners.

Be sure to thank those users....or at least register to pay the way for the next generation of units.

Edited by robertlipe
Clyde - I like to use the option to set user flags when importing pocket queries and filter based on the checked records to see what downloaded.  I have a filter named "checked" that does the obvious and I use the option on the import to clear all user flags first.

If I leave the "checked" filter active, the "clear user flags first" clears the flags, invokes the test, clears the filter, and imports with the filter set to "none".  Then I get to set the "checked" filter again.

This is a really minor request and might be awkward to change, but would it be reasonable to delay the test for zero records until after the download is complete?  What I'd like to see is the clearing of user flags to take place as it does now, but to test the active filter afer the import, not before.

Jon

Allthough it does say that the filter has been dropped, I find that after the files have been downloaded into GSAK and you have clicked on the OK(this is what has been loaded) window, GSAK is still in the same filter mode and all that has been realy done is the name in the little window has been removed. This might be a bug, but it is a good kind of bug.

edit for spelling

Edited by MedicP1

I am sure that this question is probably somewhere amongst the 11 pages of this thread, but I am getting lost in reading.

Quick question. We have downloaded GSAK, and we have it working! (Great program, by the way!).

We can get the dababase over to Cachemate and hotsync it to the palm. However, when looking at Cachemate, it lists all the waypoints by the Cache title and not the GCXXX, which what we like to use, or actually a combo of both. To get it to the GC format or a combo thereof, is it a configuration that we need to set throug GSAK or is it Cachemate? If it's GSAK, then how do I do it?

Again, GREAT program! We are so glad that we invested the money in the software! Beats all the paper we kept dragging with us, leaving in car, etc. Now our next task is to figure out how to get maps to the thing.. but of course, one thing at a time.

Thanks in advance

The "Mrs" of Mr_and_Mrs_Hydrogeologist

Mr & Mrs - that is no problem in Cachemate - just

- Get into Cachemate list screen on your palm

- Click on drop-down Palm icon in lower left corner of screen

- Click on "options" in drop-down menu

- Click on "List Options"

- In "Extra Info" use drop down arrow to select "waypoints"

That should now allow both waypoint name and description on list screen.

You also should consider some of the functions in GSAK that allows you to drop the redundant "GC" in the waypoint id when creating Cachemate files and also when loading the waypoints to your GPS

Good Luck...........

Edited by Frog Man
You also should consider some of the functions in GSAK that allows you to drop the redundant "GC" in the waypoint id when creating Cachemate files and also when loading the waypoints to your GPS

Those are called "special tags" - search for same in the help index in GSAK. My favorites are:

%drop2 = Shows geocaching code, but drops the first two characters

%dif = Difficulty in full

%ter = Terrain in full

%typ1 - letters used are as follows: T=traditional, M=multi, B=letterbox hybrid, C=CITO, E=event, L=locationless, V=virtual, W=webcam, O=Other, G=Benchmark, R=Earth, and Y=mystery/Unknown.

Droping the "GC" makes caches easier to find on your PDA or GPSr (fewer letters to enter) and creates room for the terrain, difficulty and type to be included in your waypoint (check the maximum length allowed in your GPSr and use shorter versions if needed). Also, be sure to create the same waypoint settings for your Cachemate export and your GPSr export so you can easily cross reference between the two!

Edited by Kai Team
Two requests for GSAK

- Option to suppress music some people are adding to their web-pages. Each time I click on the cache in GSAK the music plays

In the meantime, try turning your speakers off when using GSAK - makes the music much less annoying! :P

Or turn off "play sounds" in your web browser settings.

This is actually one of the problems with this request. Playing of sounds in HTML is browser specific and GSAK does not have control of your browser.

Those are called "special tags" - search for same in the help index in GSAK.  My favorites are:

%drop2 = Shows geocaching code, but drops the first two characters

%dif  = Difficulty in full

%ter  =  Terrain in full

%typ1 - letters used are as follows: T=traditional, M=multi, B=letterbox hybrid, C=CITO, E=event, L=locationless, V=virtual, W=webcam, O=Other, G=Benchmark, R=Earth, and Y=mystery/Unknown.

This is the "Waypoint Name" I use when sending waypoints to GPS-V which allows 20 characters in a waypoint name -

%drop2-%typ1-%smart %notGC %code

This is the "Waypoint Name" I use when creating a Cachemate File -

%drop2-%typ1 %notGC %code

Note the dashes - makes the name more readable........

Edited by Frog Man

I've heard from Robert Lipe about how to use GPSBabel to load in a long file of waypoints that I found on the internet. Originally, the file was in .txt format and I converted it into an Excel file with only 3 columns - name (up to 10 characters), latitude, and longitude. Can this be easily read directly by GSAK since GPSBabel is built "inside" ?

Here is Robert Lipe's answer to my question ---

If you can control the text output, just arrange to save it as comma

delimited format in an order for something that GPSBabel already knows

how to read. For example if you make the lines look like:

35.99627, -86.62012, Dive Bomber by JoGPS & family

you'll find GPSBabel's 'csv' format will slurp it right up and then be

able to write them in your choice of about 5 dozen formats.

RJL

This one has me baffled.  I have (46) caches marked as “Found” in my database, but the count shown on the yellow filter button (at the bottom of the GSAK window) shows (47).  When I click the yellow (found) button, (46) caches are show (this is correct), but the button still shows (47).  This anomaly occurred after I imported about a dozen individual .gpx files.  I normally update my database from one large .gpx file.  Does anyone have any idea what is causing this discrepancy?

Yes. Groundspeak actually allow some caches to have multiple founds on a cache. So in order for GSAK to be able to match exactly the Groundspeak count, GSAK counts all your found logs.

What this means is that there is at least one cache in your database where you have logged more than one find (intentional or not). You can track this down using the "Log" filter. Let me know if you do not understand how to set a filter to do this.

You were right Clyde. I had originally logged two finds on one cache, but later consolidated the two finds into one log entry (because I didn’t want to count it twice). Anyway, one of the old log entries (before the consolidation) was still in my database. I deleted the cache record (in GSAK) and when it was recreated, from my query, the problem was resolved. Thank you!

Clyde (or someone else),

I have two unrelated questions regarding GSAK.

I wanted to use GSAK to manage some non-geocaching waypoints. I exported the waypoints to Streets and Trips in order to create of map of my waypoints, and I was hoping to use the URL feature of Streets and Trips to make my waypoints into links. The problem is that I can't figure out where to put my own non-geocaching.com URL. Right now, GSAK exports my waypoints fine, but they all export with a URL beginning with gc.com. Is there a way I can change the URL so it points where I want?

Question number two is actually geocaching related.

For a few months, I've used GSAK to create an HTML file to use with Plucker to send to my PDA. When I upgraded to GSAK v5 I noticed a change in the HTML output. Previously I set Plucker to "spider" four layers deep. After the upgrade this setting resulted in an unacceptably slow Plucker processing time. (Time went from a few minutes to waiting over an hour, and it still wasn't done.)

I lowered the Plucker setting to spider 3 layers deep. Now, the Plucker process only takes a few minutes, but I've lost some Plucker functionality. That is, where I used to be able to click on links from cache pages on my PDA, and it would bring up the associated page, it no longer does this. Now, any links from cache pages gives me the "Plucker did not download the page you requested" error.

I've come to the conclusion that the HTML output of GSAK was changed somehow in v5. Clyde, did something change, or am I just dreaming?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jamie

I wanted to use GSAK to manage some non-geocaching waypoints. I exported the waypoints to Streets and Trips in order to create of map of my waypoints, and I was hoping to use the URL feature of Streets and Trips to make my waypoints into links. The problem is that I can't figure out where to put my own non-geocaching.com URL. Right now, GSAK exports my waypoints fine, but they all export with a URL beginning with gc.com. Is there a way I can change the URL so it points where I want?

Yes, when you enter the waypoints there is a field called URL. If left blank it defaults to gc.com Just enter your required URL here for your non geocaching waypoints and it should work fine.

For a few months, I've used GSAK to create an HTML file to use with Plucker to send to my PDA. When I upgraded to GSAK v5 I noticed a change in the HTML output. Previously I set Plucker to "spider" four layers deep. After the upgrade this setting resulted in an unacceptably slow Plucker processing time. (Time went from a few minutes to waiting over an hour, and it still wasn't done.)

I lowered the Plucker setting to spider 3 layers deep. Now, the Plucker process only takes a few minutes, but I've lost some Plucker functionality. That is, where I used to be able to click on links from cache pages on my PDA, and it would bring up the associated page, it no longer does this. Now, any links from cache pages gives me the "Plucker did not download the page you requested" error.

I've come to the conclusion that the HTML output of GSAK was changed somehow in v5. Clyde, did something change, or am I just dreaming?

I am not aware of any changes that would have made this slower. Are you sure you were not previously using Sunrise Desktop? This is much quicker than plucker and produces the same output.

I've heard from Robert Lipe about how to use GPSBabel to load in a long file of waypoints that I found on the internet. Originally, the file was in .txt format and I converted it into an Excel file with only 3 columns - name (up to 10 characters), latitude, and longitude. Can this be easily read directly by GSAK since GPSBabel is built "inside" ?

Here is Robert Lipe's answer to my question ---

how to read. For example if you make the lines look like:

RJL

Yes, you can do a GSAK custom export (File=>Export=>Custom) on this file to generate a GPX file GSAK can load. Syntax for the custom export commoand would be something like

"C:\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i csv -f "C:\temp\bigfile.csv" -o gpx -F "c:\temp\bigfile.gpx"

You will need to change this to correspond to your install folder of GSAK (mine is c:\gsak) but I hope you get the idea.

When finished just load the file bigfile.gpx into GSAK

I've heard from Robert Lipe about how to use GPSBabel to load in a long file of waypoints that I found on the internet.  Originally, the file was in .txt format and I converted it into an Excel file with only 3 columns - name (up to 10 characters), latitude, and longitude.  Can this be easily read directly by GSAK since GPSBabel is built "inside" ? 

Here is Robert  Lipe's answer to my question ---

how to read.  For example if you make the lines look like:

RJL

Yes, you can do a GSAK custom export (File=>Export=>Custom) on this file to generate a GPX file GSAK can load. Syntax for the custom export commoand would be something like

"C:\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i csv -f "C:\temp\bigfile.csv" -o gpx -F "c:\temp\bigfile.gpx"

You will need to change this to correspond to your install folder of GSAK (mine is c:\gsak) but I hope you get the idea.

Thanks, Clyde, but I must have the command wrong somewhere since I get an error message in the Custom Export which says "Cannot create file with zero waypoints".

Here is my command line --

"D:\PROGRAM FILES\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i csv -f "C:\temp\bigfile.csv" -o gpx -F "C:\temp\bigfile.gpx"

Yes, when you enter the waypoints there is a field called URL. If left blank it defaults to gc.com Just enter your required URL here for your non geocaching waypoints and it should work fine.

That's it exactly. I thought I'd tried that, but apparently not. When I followed your directions, it worked just as I wanted it.

I am not aware of any changes that would have made this slower. Are you sure you were not previously using Sunrise Desktop? This is much quicker than plucker and produces the same output.

It's not so much the "slower" I was worried about--although it is indirectly. The problem seems to be that with a depth of 4, Plucker now tries to retrieve roughly 10x as many pages as it used to before v5. In order to bring the number of pages down, I have to lower the depth to 3 and by doing this, I no longer get pages beyond the cache pages. I was wondering if maybe somewhere GSAK added another "layer" of links that Plucker goes through.

Since you said there weren't any changes, I will check once more my Plucker settings (although most of them are gibberish to me :D )

I have not used Sunrise Desktop. Perhaps I should look into it, as it may give me the results I'm looking for.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
I've heard from Robert Lipe about how to use GPSBabel to load in a long file of waypoints that I found on the internet.  Originally, the file was in .txt format and I converted it into an Excel file with only 3 columns - name (up to 10 characters), latitude, and longitude.  Can this be easily read directly by GSAK since GPSBabel is built "inside" ? 

Here is Robert  Lipe's answer to my question ---

how to read.  For example if you make the lines look like:

RJL

Thanks, Clyde, but I must have the command wrong somewhere since I get an error message in the Custom Export which says "Cannot create file with zero waypoints".

Here is my command line --

"D:\PROGRAM FILES\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i csv -f "C:\temp\bigfile.csv" -o gpx -F "C:\temp\bigfile.gpx"

One of the "quirks" of using the custom export is that you must do so from a database that has waypoints. It would appear you are trying to run the export from an empty database.

If you run the same command outside of GSAK you would not get this error. However, to get it to work from within GSAK just select a database that has at least 1 waypoint.

Note: This is only required to generate the GPX file from your big text file. Once generated, you can swap over to your empty database and load the created GPX file into it.

It's not so much the "slower" I was worried about--although it is indirectly. The problem seems to be that with a depth of 4, Plucker now tries to retrieve roughly 10x as many pages as it used to before v5. In order to bring the number of pages down, I have to lower the depth to 3 and by doing this, I no longer get pages beyond the cache pages. I was wondering if maybe somewhere GSAK added another "layer" of links that Plucker goes through.

There are a couple of areas under user control that can add "extra layers" of links as you call them. As the following options are usually not required on a PDA be sure to uncheck these boxes:

1. Include ! custom URL links

2. Include "current details link" at top of page

There are a couple of areas under user control that can add "extra layers" of links as you call them. As the following options are usually not required on a PDA be sure to uncheck these boxes:

1. Include ! custom URL links

2. Include "current details link" at top of page

I don't completely understand what's happening for you, Jamie, but I'll add some more food for thought: you may want to play with the setting for restrictions of sought links. In my setup for Sunrise Desktop, I've got the 4 link spidering depth, but have it restricted to current directory.

In your original post, it sounded like you may have had it further ranging. But you might play around with this setting (if you haven't so far) to see if it makes a difference. You may find restricting to domain or host gives you what you want within an acceptable time frame.

Mr & Mrs - that is no problem in Cachemate - just

- Get into Cachemate list screen on your palm

- Click on drop-down Palm icon in lower left corner of screen

- Click on "options" in drop-down menu

- Click on "List Options"

- In "Extra Info" use drop down arrow to select "waypoints"

That should now allow both waypoint name and description on list screen.

Good Luck...........

Thank you so much for the information. We will definitely get the PDA and see if we can get it set correctly!

One of the "quirks" of using the custom export is that you must do so from a database that has waypoints. It would appear you are trying to run the export from an empty database. 

If you run the same command outside of GSAK you would not get this error. However, to get it to work from within GSAK just select a database that has at least 1 waypoint.

Note: This is only required to generate the GPX file from your big text file. Once generated, you can swap over to your empty database and load the created GPX file into it.

Yes, you are 100 % correct ! I was using a database without any waypoints. Now all works well with my comma delimited .txt file. But for some reason when I try to use the .csv file I get only latitudes correctly, longitudes are all zero, and my waypoint names are erased and replaced with a sequential numbering as default. Oh well, it was easy to change the input command to GPSBabel using a .txt instead of a .csv

Thank you SO much for all your help on this matter. Bill

Probably me being stupid but I can't get GSAK to recognise the fact that we attended an event cache.

Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

All other caches aoppear okay.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SL

I suspect this problem is identical to this post

When reading this post just substitue "webcam" with "event" and the same logic applies.

All right... I think I have all the issues taken care of (for the most part) with GSAK... except for one thing. I'm transferring waypoints to my Garmin GPS-12, and am having trouble with the symbols. I can figure out what some of the 16 symbols available to me are (such as flag, home, campground...), but I'm trying to transfer benchmarks as circle with x (which I see on the symbol chart... no names, just symbols in the documentation... grump!), but it's coming out as a dot on the garmin (default waypoint symbol)

Can someone help me correspond the symbols available for the GPS 12 to those that are listed by text in GSAK, or is there somewhere in the documentation (for either GSAK or the GPS12) that I can go to find out what the symbol names are?

Thank you very much!

I'm having problems getting my info to cachemate. I have a registered version of cachemate so I shouldn't have any problems with quantity issues. This is what I know how to do

1. Export-cachemate

2. Generate off whatever pops on the screen (this part also confuses me)

3. snyc my pda

I'm only getting 1 cache to go through though. That's my problem. What am I doing wrong? Before I've had no problems, but today is horrible. Please answer this as if I was completely computer illiterate, because I am. Any help would be great. Thanks,

PS- I emailed this to Clyde also

When you start cachemate up after hotsyncing the data, are you putting it in the 'unfiled' category?

The problem I had importing to cachemate was combining 'regular' caches with benchmarks, and then having to separate them.

But, I'd suggest checking out all the categories in cachemate.

I'm not sure what you mean, although I think I might have an idea. I only put caches in the unfiled. I don't do benchmarks on there yet. I run a pocket query, drag that into the gsak box=update the caches, hit export-cachemate, hit generate and bam, only 1 waypoint goes through. This is really frustrating. What am I not doing right?

Now i'm having even more problems. I got a fatal error of some type in the program that wouldn't allow me to even open the program. I had to uninstall and reinstall the program. Now I can get the program to load, but I can't see any of the caches. All I have is the tool bar at the top and nothing below it. How do I fix this?

updated/edit: ok i got this problem fixed, now i just need to figure out how to get more than 1 cache to transfer to cachemate

Edited by Ghostcat78
Now i'm having even more problems. I got a fatal error of some type in the program that wouldn't allow me to even open the program. I had to uninstall and reinstall the program. Now I can get the program to load, but I can't see any of the caches. All I have is the tool bar at the top and nothing below it. How do I fix this?

updated/edit: ok i got this problem fixed, now i just need to figure out how to get more than 1 cache to transfer to cachemate

It sounds like in the box that says "You can build the waypoint name using tags (see help)" you have wiped this out or changed it such that all your waypoints end up with the same name, hence only one waypoint in CacheMate.

You can get creative here using special tags (see help) but for the moment just try entering %code here to see if this fixes your problem.

You can get creative here using special tags (see help) but for the moment just try entering %code here to see if this fixes your problem.

Thats it! Thanks, I really appreciate it. Boy that was simple to fix, whew! Now i'm out the door caching. Got 2 hours of light left :rolleyes: Thanks again Clyde. YOU DA MAN!

Is there any way to stretch the width of the Code column in GSAK? Seems like it is the only column that I can't resize. :rolleyes:

Also, it seems it would be nice if there was a Type that was just "waypoint" so I could use that for entering parking waypoints and other things I want to keep track of that are related to a cache.

Thanks,

-robert

Is there any way to stretch the width of the Code column in GSAK? Seems like it is the only column that I can't resize.

The only way this would happen is if your code colum is this first column in the grid and you have the "Lock first column" box ticked.

Just untick this box, then you can resize the column. Remember to tick it again if you still want this column "locked" so the code column does not scroll off the screen when you scroll columns to the right.

Also, it seems it would be nice if there was a Type that was just "waypoint" so I could use that for entering parking waypoints and other things I want to keep track of that are related to a cache.

Custom cache types will come in a future release. However for now you can add these types of waypoints and select the "other" cache type. If you don't actually want a waypoint in the database then add this information to the "notes" section of that cache.

I recently installed GSAK and cachemate. I can get the download into my laptop ok it's exporting to my palm 31 pda. Export>cachemate PDB file> and then hotsync and generate. All goes well I get the Running CMCONVERT under the hood and then an " ERROR SENDING WAYPOINTS " The error message I get is INSTALL T00L ERROR unable to install: ( it lists the file and says) it does not exist.Can someone help me with this problem. A warm northern thanks.