Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

This really sounds strange. I am not aware of any 60cs/76cs user that has reported this type of problem, so I suspect it is something in your set up. However, from what you describe, I can't see anything obviously wrong.

D'oh! Once again the program is only as smart as the user. :rolleyes:

I finally sat down to see if I could find anything new before sending anythin to ClydeE. I discovered that there are different types of caches, each with their own symbol setting. Who would have guessed! :(

hi Clyde, any chance the export html option could have the option to create a directory if the location for the export doesn't exist please? At the moment it just complains about the directory doesn't exist and the browse option doesnt allow you to create a new one.

I'm just being lazy :-)

Thanks!

hi Clyde, any chance the export html option could have the option to create a directory if the location for the export doesn't exist please? At the moment it just complains about the directory doesn't exist and the browse option doesnt allow you to create a new one.

Thanks!

In theory it sounds like a reasonable request.

However, the problem you open up here is users will mis type the directory name and then wonder why they can't find their files.

As this also has the potential to increase my email support burden I am going to have to say no to this one.

Thanks!

In theory it sounds like a reasonable request.

However, the problem you open up here is users will mis type the directory name and then wonder why they can't find their files.

As this also has the potential to increase my email support burden I am going to have to say no to this one.

Well, I just cranked up the program to see what was going on here, since I thought I remembered that you used the standard Windows open dialog. That give you the ability to create a directory and othe file related functions as well. I brought up the export to an MPS file, and sure enough, it had the standard file dialog. But in the middle of crafting a post to the other person, I realized that the subject was the HTML output, so just to be thorough, I checked it out, and to my surprise, it opens up and entirely different dialog. It would seem to me that you could fairly well satisfy the request's intent by using the standard dialog here like you do for the MPS export, and I don't see how that will increase support traffic. How about that as an alternative?

Well, I just cranked up the program to see what was going on here, since I thought I remembered that you used the standard Windows open dialog. That give you the ability to create a directory and othe file related functions as well. I brought up the export to an MPS file, and sure enough, it had the standard file dialog. But in the middle of crafting a post to the other person, I realized that the subject was the HTML output, so just to be thorough, I checked it out, and to my surprise, it opens up and entirely different dialog. It would seem to me that you could fairly well satisfy the request's intent by using the standard dialog here like you do for the MPS export, and I don't see how that will increase support traffic. How about that as an alternative?

We are not comparing apples with apples here.

The MPS dialog you refer to is a file dialog

The HTML export is a folder dialog

It would be confusing and impractical to call up the file dialog to request a folder.

Both these dialogs are standard api calls to the corresponding windows dialogs keeping them consistent with other dialogs for that operating system. I guess I could hunt down a 3rd party dialog that does provide this functionality, but then you loose the familiarity aspect.

I will give this one more thought and see what I can come up with.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

I think I asked this before but since I can't find it I'll ask again, no doubt your answer was fine but this frustrates me anyway so I need to ask.

I use the polygon function to set up a filter, but I need to limit the number of caches returned to... say 500, is there a way to do that?

I think I asked this before but since I can't find it I'll ask again, no doubt your answer was fine but this frustrates me anyway so I need to ask.

I use the polygon function to set up a filter, but I need to limit the number of caches returned to... say 500, is there a way to do that?

Yes, you can do this with the help of the user flag. Basically the steps involve clearing all user flags, set user flag for next nn (500), then set filter on user flag=set.

Assuming you want the 500 waypoints closest to your current center point I would set up a macro to do this and add it as a tool button - then it is only a mouse click away. The macro would look like this.

USERFLAG type=clear range=all

SORT by="distance"

USERFLAG type=set range=500

FILTER name="User flag = set"

If you want to make sure the distance is always from a particular centre point rather than just the current one (Home for example), add the following command before SORT

CENTRE location="home"

Edited by ClydeE
Note: If you do not have the "log cache" as a custom URL in your version of GSAK just add the following via Tools=>Options=>HTML

Log cache=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid

Clyde - I never cease to be amazed with the capabilities of GSAK and it's author! :laughing:

Am new to GSAK and have tried to do my due dilagence in searching for answers. But I can't find what I'm looking for.

Goal: Export Waypoints for importing into Lowrance iFinder (with or with going via Lowrance Mapcreate)

Environment: Lowrance iFinder MAP&MUSIC, Windows 2000, GSAK 5.0.4, Lowrance MapCreate 6.3

Am successful in importing into GSAK my GPX files. For exporting, other references say to select "CSV" -- but I don't see that option (maybe an older GSAK?). So, I then do a File/Export -- and I'm picking "Delorme Topo USA, SA Plus, etc" since I can't find plain CSV....

I get a file that has:

BEGIN SYMBOL

36.7165,-76.246183,GCHY4X,Arrow Down

36.725267,-76.249733,GCHGJB,Arrow Down

END

This file, if I import it into MapCreate does three bad things:

1) Waypoint names all show up as Wpt 001*, Wpt 002*, etc...

2) Only Latitude gets imported, all Longitudes are 00.0000

3) I get an error that says Illegal Latitude/Longitude encountered at line xxx (where xxx is the last line of the file)

Now, to reverse-engineer things, I EXPORTED some waypoints from MapCreate to see what format it generates. I get this:

36.72422705, -76.24662097, Wpt 002*

36.72350461, -76.24563851, Wpt 003*

So, if I manually edit the file that GSAK generates, and do the following:

1) Remove the BEGIN SYMBOL and END statements from top and bottom

2) Search/replace/delete the ",Arrow Down"

3) replace all commas with comma + space

I get a file looking like this:

36.7165, -76.246183, GCHY4X

36.725267, -76.249733, GCHGJB

Now, this file will import fine into MapCreate. Then I have to run MapCreate's export to generate a *.USR file... and then load this USR file into the Lowrance.

I'm wondering:

1) What am I doing wrong?

2) Should I have to be editing the file like this?

3) Is the intermediate step of MapCreate required?

4) Is there a way to generate the needed USR file directly from GSAK

... WithCatz

Am new to GSAK and have tried to do my due dilagence in searching for answers.  But I can't find what I'm looking for.

Goal:  Export Waypoints for importing into Lowrance iFinder  (with or with going via Lowrance Mapcreate)

Environment:  Lowrance iFinder MAP&MUSIC, Windows 2000, GSAK 5.0.4, Lowrance MapCreate 6.3

Am successful in importing into GSAK my GPX files.  For exporting,  other references say to select "CSV" -- but I don't see that option (maybe an older GSAK?).    So,  I then do a File/Export -- and I'm picking "Delorme Topo USA, SA Plus, etc" since I can't find plain CSV....

I get a file that has:

BEGIN SYMBOL

36.7165,-76.246183,GCHY4X,Arrow Down

36.725267,-76.249733,GCHGJB,Arrow Down

END

This file, if I import it into MapCreate does three bad things:

1) Waypoint names all show up as Wpt 001*, Wpt 002*, etc...

2) Only Latitude gets imported, all Longitudes are 00.0000

3) I get an error that says Illegal Latitude/Longitude encountered at line xxx (where xxx is the last line of the file)

Now, to reverse-engineer things,  I EXPORTED some waypoints from MapCreate to see what format it generates.  I get this:

36.72422705, -76.24662097, Wpt 002*

36.72350461, -76.24563851, Wpt 003*

So,  if I manually edit the file that GSAK generates,  and do the following:

1) Remove the BEGIN SYMBOL and END statements from top and bottom

2) Search/replace/delete the ",Arrow Down"

3) replace all commas with comma + space

I get a file looking like this:

36.7165, -76.246183, GCHY4X

Now, this file will import fine into MapCreate.    Then I have to run MapCreate's export to generate a *.USR file...  and then load this USR file into the Lowrance.

I'm wondering:

1) What am I doing wrong? 

2) Should I have to be editing the file like this?

3) Is the intermediate step of MapCreate required? 

4) Is there a way to generate the needed USR file directly from GSAK

... WithCatz

Unfortunately the Lowrance iFinder is not well supported by GSAK yet.

Take a look at the files generated by the "Microsoft streets and trips csv file", "Fugawi", "Maptech eXchange format" these are all CSV fiels and may be better suited for your purpose.

However, if you really want full control over the CSV file layout you would need to run a "custom" export (File=>Export=>Custom) then use GPSBabel and a style file.

Edited by ClydeE

However, if you really want full control over the CSV file layout you would need to run a "custom" export (File=>Export=>Custom) then use GPSBabel and a style file.

Clyde, *YOU ROCK* -- super fast reply. With your suggestion... I think I figured out 80% of this. According to GPSBabel, their -csv is OK for Lowrance MapCreate -- and when I set the Custom Export for -csv (the default) -- (I have to give a -F manually) -- it exports a correct file that's importable... -- but used the long description for WayPoint name -- too long for the 12-character iFinder limit -- but it works -- at least it imports, with lat/long correctly and truncated name....

My preference is to use %code for the waypoint name (or %smart=12), and it appears that this information -- while in the Custom Export dialog box -- has no impact on what GPSBable is doing... My first working export line looked like this:

"C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o csv -F c:\geocaching\test.csv

So, I then created a style -- per your suggestion, and set it up for the xcsv format.... (BTW the README.style file referenced in the GPSBabel docs doesn't exist in the distribution of GSAK nor the zip of GPSBabel from sourceforge -- so, I googled it here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gpsb...le/README.style )

Here's my MapCreate6.style file:

DESCRIPTION GPSBabel Style file for Lowrance MapCreate6 (for iFinder, etc)
  EXTENSION TXT            # MapCreate defaults to *.TXT for WayPoint import
  SHORTWHITE 1             # Spaces are allowed in MapCreate WayPoint names
  SHORTLEN   12            # MapCreate Waypoint names are limited to 12 characters
  FIELD_DELIMITER COMMA    # MapCreate expects commas
  RECORD_DELIMITER NEWLINE # MapCreate expects one waypoint per line
  BADCHARS COMMA           # A comma would be a bad thing in a waypoint name

# Generate  latitude, longitude, shortname

IFIELD LAT_DECIMAL,"","%f"       #writes latitude,
  IFIELD LON_DECIMAL,""," %f"      #writes <space>longitude,
  IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s"        #writes <space>shortname    <- use one or the other, not both
  #IFIELD DESCRIPTION,""," %s"     #writes <space>description  <- use one or the other, not both

Then, a tweak to the Custom Export to use -xcsv and this new MapCreate6.style file...

"C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o xcsv,style=c:\geocaching\MapCreate6.style -F c:\geocaching\test.csv

I can live with all of this as a working process. I'm largely posting this as a reply to this so that others, coming after me, might be able to find a working solution for GSAK and Lowrance iFinder GPSr with MapCreate .... Something my searching hadn't come up with :laughing:

My "future feature request for GSAK":

Incorporate the equivalent of this MapCreate6.style file as a standard Export (call it "Lowrance MapSource" ??) -- so that it can:

a: support the dialog box that lets folks select what WayPoint style they way -- I happen to like Shortname (aka, %code), but others may want DESCRIPTION (aka, %name) -- or even better %smart

b: allow the user to browse / enter the destination file name for the export (instead of the hard coded output name required now)

Thanks again for the quick reply, and the hint that got me to where I needed to be! Maybe this will help other GSAK / Lowrance iFinder / MapCreate folks too....

... WithCatz

Incorporate the equivalent of this MapCreate6.style file as a standard Export (call it "Lowrance MapSource" ??)

Duh... Brain Hiccup -- Corrected -- Incorporate the equivalent of this MapCreate6.style file as a standard Export (call it "Lowrance MapCreate" ??)

Incorporate the equivalent of this MapCreate6.style file as a standard Export (call it "Lowrance MapSource" ??) -- so that it can:

a: support the dialog box that lets folks select what WayPoint style they way -- I happen to like Shortname (aka, %code), but others may want DESCRIPTION (aka, %name) -- or even better %smart

I would just like some clarification on this. Using the style file you created above (refering to IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s" ) the custom export should let you generate what goes in the SHORTNAME field by using the special tags (For example, %code or %smart) in the waypoint name.

I am just trying to establish if this is working for you, or can you not get GPSBabel to use the waypoint name GSAK generates using the special tags

I'm working on automating my GSAK, and I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

I can load a GPX file with my macro, but can I load a folder of files (like you can do manually)? If so, what is the command?

The key to using all the available options in the dialogs for macros is to use "settings"

Bisically it works like this:

1. Call up the dialog you want to use in your macro

2. Change all the settings for how you would like them to be in your macro

3. Save the settings and give them a meaningful name

4. Use the "settings" paramater in the macro to activate these settings

So in your case, just open up the "Open GPX/LOC" dialog and select the "Load a folder of files" and any other options you want. Now click on the save button and give these settings a name ("Load folder XYZ")

Now in your macro just enter the command

LOAD settings="Load folder XYZ"

I would just like some clarification on this. Using the style file you created above (refering to IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s" ) the custom export should let you generate what goes in the SHORTNAME field by using the special tags (For example, %code or %smart) in the waypoint name.

Well, Clyde... darnit, doesn't it just work just like that :laughing: I must have gotten mixed up during my MapCreate6.style creation to miss this... Mea Culpa...

I'm usually better at this kinda thing -- heck, it's my field .... guess I got too quickly excited that the darned XCSV thingy worked at all B)

More methodological testing... you're right -- duh... oh GSAK god B)

Test #1:

%code (8) - IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s" -- "C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o xcsv,style=c:\geocaching\MapCreate6.style -F c:\geocaching\test.csv

36.716500, -76.246183, GCHY4X

Test #2: 

%smart (8) - IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s" -- "C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o xcsv,style=c:\geocaching\MapCreate6.style -F c:\geocaching\test.csv

36.716500, -76.246183, WeHavePl
36.725267, -76.249733, LocksPoi

Test #3:

%name (255) - IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s" -- "C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o xcsv,style=c:\geocaching\MapCreate6.style -F c:\geocaching\test.csv

36.716500, -76.246183, We have plans for your bottles and cans
36.725267, -76.249733, Locks Point Cache

From my perspective, this means, that *THIS* theoretical MapCreate6.style should work fine... and accomodate GSAK's variable SHORTNAME --

DESCRIPTION GPSBabel Style file for Lowrance MapCreate6 (for iFinder, etc)
EXTENSION TXT            # MapCreate defaults to *.TXT for WayPoint import
SHORTWHITE 1             # Spaces are allowed in MapCreate WayPoint names
SHORTLEN   12            # MapCreate Waypoint names are limited to 12 characters
FIELD_DELIMITER COMMA    # MapCreate expects commas
RECORD_DELIMITER NEWLINE # MapCreate expects one waypoint per line
BADCHARS COMMA           # A comma would be a bad thing in a waypoint name

# Generate  latitude, longitude, shortname

IFIELD LAT_DECIMAL,"","%f"       #writes latitude,
IFIELD LON_DECIMAL,""," %f"      #writes <space>longitude,
IFIELD SHORTNAME,""," %s"        #writes <space>shortname

So, does it look promising for a "Lowrance MapCreate" export in GSAK's future?

... WithCatz B) -- aparently becoming the lone iFinder GeoCacher in the Abyss :anibad:

Maybe this will help other GSAK / Lowrance iFinder / MapCreate folks too....

As much as I'd love to have the time (and finances) to support every map program on the planet in GPSBabel, I don't. So when people tell me that "csv works with mapcreate" I take their word for it.

If you would like to see that style sheet included in the official GPSBabel builds and are willing to help support it by providing sample files, a paragraph for README, and the style file (which you seem to have worked out) I can arrange that. Send it to the gpsbabel-code mailing list and I'll fold it in.

...though you could have probably gotten to the same endpoint with '-o csv,snlen=12'

Hi Guys,

Just after some feedback here.

I am getting some noise about the size of the GSAK thread. Even starting a new thread after each version the thread does seem to grow quickly.

I really can't blame anyone for not reading the whole thread to find answers, it is just too big and it is unreasonable for me to expect you to do so. I know it can be frustrating when you do a search of the forum and get a hit, only to find your answer is buried somewhere in the many pages of the thread.

I am open to suggestions but here are a few ideas off the bat.

1. Abandon the idea of a single thread for GSAK. Encourage users to start their own threads, as long as the word "GSAK" is in the header I will search and respond.

2. Set up a "user" board on my web site and make this the central place for all GSAK discussion/questions. Perhaps the downside being it is another user ID/account and password you have to set up and remember.

3. As soon as the thread reaches x pages (say 5), start another thread.

4. Ignore the "noise" and leave it as it is.

Thanks

Clyde

Hi, everyone!

I have a quick question about GSAK. I just installed v5.0.4 Build 21, and even though I have turned off the automatic check for updates - it still tries to "call home".

Is that a bug, did I miss an additional setting, or is it calling home for another reason entirely?

And in any case, is there a way to disable that portion of it? (I dislike call-home functions on principle. :laughing: )

Hi, everyone!

I have a quick question about GSAK. I just installed v5.0.4 Build 21, and even though I have turned off the automatic check for updates - it still tries to "call home".

Is that a bug, did I miss an additional setting, or is it calling home for another reason entirely?

And in any case, is there a way to disable that portion of it? (I dislike call-home functions on principle. :laughing: )

If you have turned off the automatic update feature then GSAK will not do this.

However, GSAK does use IE to render the split screen display and initialization of IE will request use of the http protocol. Also, if you click on any custom URL or any link at all then GSAK will show up in any firewall software as wanting external http access.

If you are paranoid about this or think something sinister is going on here then just disable HTTP access (or any Internet access for that matter) for GSAK in your firewall software. Split screen display will not show properly, custom URL's (that access the Internet) won't work, and external links will not work from GSAK, but at least you will be confident in the fact GSAK is not "talking to the Internet"

Hi Guys,

Just after some feedback here.

I am getting some noise about the size of the GSAK thread. Even starting a new thread after each version the thread does seem to grow quickly.

I really can't blame anyone for not reading the whole thread to find answers, it is just too big and it is unreasonable for me to expect you to do so. I know it can be frustrating when you do a search of the forum and get a hit, only to find your answer is buried somewhere in the many pages of the thread.

1. Abandon the idea of a single thread for GSAK. Encourage users to start their own threads, as long as the word "GSAK" is in the header I will search and respond.

2. Set up a "user" board on my web site and make this the central place for all GSAK discussion/questions. Perhaps the downside being it is another user ID/account and password you have to set up and remember.

Thanks

Clyde

Hi Clyde

Option 1 may be the way to go.

I also like option 2 but suspect that many users will also post here, possibly duplicating their posts.

If you have turned off the automatic update feature then GSAK will not do  this.

However, GSAK does use IE to render the split screen display and initialization of IE will request use of the http protocol. Also, if you click on any custom URL or any link at all then GSAK will show up in any firewall software as wanting external http access.

Well, that I understand - obviously if you're using those features, it's going to need an outgoing connection.

However, what I'm talking about is different. I'm not using those features when it happens. I don't have the split screen display enabled.

I just start it up and do absolutely nothing, and about 7 seconds later - it tries to reach www.gsak.net (67.15.20.33 - on port 80). And it does this every time.

That's why I was wondering if it might be a bug - especially if you say that it shouldn't call home. perhaps the option to not check for updates isn't working as it should?

A couple of thoughts:

To me the prime consideration would be whatever works best in allowing search functions to find issues already discussed. I suppose that points to the first option (although I am not enough of a search guru to say that with *any* authority).

Secondarily, keeping things here would be simpler....even if you move things over to gsak.net, I'm sure a lot of questions will still get posted here...ultimately requiring the monitoring of two forums.

Thanks

Clyde

Option 1: Shorter threads, but there would be more of them and they wouldn't be pinned, so it could be even harder to find specific information. Edit: It would make it MUCH harder for those of us who follow the thread on an ongoing basis (i.e. we'd have to subscribe to or search many GSAK threads to follow the discussions).

Option 2: I think you'd lose a lot of readers, especially newbies, and get even more email requests for support and would end up monitoring two forums, as mentioned by embra . It also might hurt distribution of GSAK.

Option 3: Same issues as option 1.

Option 4: Starting to look better all the time... :ph34r:

Another possibility...

Option 5: Retain one GSAK thread and edit the OP on an ongoing basis to link to subtopics within the thread, i.e. use the OP as table of contents for the rest of the thread. I'd also put step-by-step instructions on searching the thread in the OP. Gc.com would have to grant you priviliges to override the edit timeout on the OP, but this might be the best solution - one thread, but easier to find things within that thread by looking at the OP.

I'd vote for either option 4 or option 5....

Edited by Kai Team

I like option 5. Looks best to me. If you can't get by Groundspeak though, you could always have a link to a page on GSAK.net with a table of contents so to speak, which would basically amount to a more librally expanded FAQ (anything asked more than once gets distilled and put in there...)

I've got no problem with option 4 though...

In the very minor annoyances category: When I drag and drop a GPX file attachment from Mozilla Thunderbird (the email program I use) to GSAK when GSAK is open, it loads the file just fine. However, if I drag and drop to the GSAK icon on my desktop, GSAK opens with the correct dialog, but then gives me a "file not found" error when I click OK.

Does anyone know if the cause of this problem is GSAK, Windows, Thunderbird or "operator error", and if there's a way to fix it?

2. I like the idea of one place for Geocaching related forums so I would not like to see this forum move. Maybe beef up the FAQ on your site and ecourage folks to check there first?

4. This sounds good. Is the forum size having a negative impact somwhere? I would rather see the search function fixed than to set arbitrary limits to the size of a thread.

In the very minor annoyances category: When I drag and drop a GPX file attachment from Mozilla Thunderbird (the email program I use) to GSAK when GSAK is open, it loads the file just fine. However, if I drag and drop to the GSAK icon on my desktop, GSAK opens with the correct dialog, but then gives me a "file not found" error when I click OK.

Does anyone know if the cause of this problem is GSAK, Windows, Thunderbird or "operator error", and if there's a way to fix it?

I get the same thing when copying the file across from TheBat (my email program). However if I wait a second before letting go of the mouse it tends to load properly. The problem was solved for me by automating the collection of gpx zip files from the email client and dumping them into gsak automatically.

As to the forum issue - maybe a solution would be to have a forum dedicated to gsak under the software group. Gsak is getting big enough (and has been good enough for a long long time) that more and more people are using it.

Mind you, a decent search facility (and people using it) in the forum software would also help.

Can't speak for the others, but the more places I have to look through, the less likely I am to help out.

I *like* having it all in one place. (Well most of it.)

Here is one "other" that thinks the same way. I like it all in one place, and I find that I learn a lot by reading others questions. I also get ideas for filters I would not have thought of.

That said I would not mind having a disscussion on just "filters". I would love a download area for cool searchs people have made like "All traditional caches within three miles of I-5 from border to border" Maybe a "GASK usage/tips/tricks" and a true support group.

I do think that Clyde and Robert should only be expected to support one message area. If the users responding in the other areas are stumped, have them move here. Heck, maybe you could use it as a filter to keep your time to the true "stumpers"

Hi everyone not a total newbie to GSAK but not an indepth user either I use it mostly for the datbase function in my role as an admin here at GC.Com I just downloaded version5.0.4 and now anytime I try to drag and drop or open the folder option to bring a new GPX file into GSAK it wants to restart itself. It gave me a couple of error messages which I let it dump to Clyde but I just wondered if anyone else experienced this problem and what maybe up. I thought the one database I was using maybe too large but it does this on a new empty databse. Everything else seems to work I just can't import gpx files anymore.

PLease Help

The Federation

Hi everyone not a total newbie to GSAK but not an indepth user either I use it mostly for the datbase function in my role as an admin here at  GC.Com I just downloaded version5.0.4 and now anytime I try to drag and drop  or open the folder option to bring a new  GPX file into  GSAK  it wants to restart itself. It gave me a couple of  error messages which I let it dump to Clyde but I just wondered if anyone else experienced this problem and what maybe up. I thought the one database I was using maybe too large but it does this on a new empty databse. Everything else seems to work I just can't import gpx files anymore.

PLease Help

The Federation

Looking at the dump you sent the database may be corrupt.

Try Database=>Repair/Defrag

If that does not fix the problem, then remove the database (Database=>Remove) and create it again (Database=>New)

If you have information in the database you don't want to loose, then try restoring from an old backup.

Also I notice you are running windows 98 - Reboot before trying any of this.

Edited by ClydeE

Don't know how this would effect others, but any chance of making the attributes dumping to the GPS 'sticky' to a particular database (rather than global across all databases.) I have one database with brass survey markers in it (all from outforthehunt's Brass Cap cache), and every time I export it to the GPS, I always forget to change my defaults to the ones required for that export (%smart tags don't mean a whole lot with these points, and the icons that I prefer aren't the same either). I've got them saved, but I always forget to select it.

Anyways, just thought I'd toss it out there. Any drawbacks to doing this that I'm missing?

.Option 5: Retain one GSAK thread and edit the OP on an ongoing basis to link to subtopics within the thread, i.e. use the OP as table of contents for the rest of the thread. I'd also put step-by-step instructions on searching the thread in the OP. Gc.com would have to grant you priviliges to override the edit timeout on the OP, but this might be the best solution - one thread, but easier to find things within that thread by looking at the OP.

There is a time limit on how long you can edit a post. After it expires no more editing. So while it sounds good, Option 5 won't fly here.

Don't know how this would effect others, but any chance of making the attributes dumping to the GPS 'sticky' to a particular database (rather than global across all databases.) I have one database with brass survey markers in it (all from outforthehunt's Brass Cap cache), and every time I export it to the GPS, I always forget to change my defaults to the ones required for that export (%smart tags don't mean a whole lot with these points, and the icons that I prefer aren't the same either). I've got them saved, but I always forget to select it.

Anyways, just thought I'd toss it out there. Any drawbacks to doing this that I'm missing?

One of the things on my "list" is to allow for "properties" for each database. Though this is not one of the properties I had invisaged I am sure the basic premise of having "properties" per database would allow me to provide some way to achieve this (Perhaps via a start up macro per database).

I just wouldn't like to commit myself to which release it will pop up in (I like to keep you guessing <_< )

.Option 5:  Retain one GSAK thread and edit the OP on an ongoing basis to link to subtopics within the thread, i.e. use the OP as table of contents for the rest of the thread.  I'd also put step-by-step instructions on searching the thread in the OP.  Gc.com would have to grant you priviliges to override the edit timeout on the OP, but this might be the best solution - one thread, but easier to find things within that thread by looking at the OP.

There is a time limit on how long you can edit a post. After it expires no more editing. So while it sounds good, Option 5 won't fly here.

Jester - You're wrong. Please reread my original comment (highlighted above). GC.com can override the edit timeout for a specific user (e.g. moderators have no edit timeout), so it could be done here. Option 5 depends on Clyde getting that privilege, which is why I mentioned it in my original post.

I'd like to make a few suggestions for the Interface of GSAK, if I may...

1. User-selectable Font and Font Size for all Grid Data. It's a bit difficult to read for me, and I'd appreciate the ability to change the font and font size.

2. Tool Tips for the Column Headers, so that you can get a full name and/or description for what each column represents. This isn't an issue for the ones that are clearly spelled out (such as "Last Found"), but it is important for the ones that are abbreviated or are just icons. If a short description is included, it could also be helpful for beginners (for example, it's not immediately clear what the difference is between "Date Placed" and "Date Created").

3. User-selectable color for the Column that the list is being Sorted by. (personally, I hate that yellow). <_<

4. User-selectable column to show the Status Attributes. At the moment, you can only choose between First Column and Code. It would be nice if the Options contained a dropdown list of all the columns, and you could just choose the one you wanted to be highlighted by this.

5. Windows Color Picker for choosing the color of each of the Status Attributes (and the Sort Highlight color, as well).

6. Get rid of the User Flag column, and just allow multiple selections via the standard Windows methods (i.e. Control-Click to toggle a non-adjacent selection and Shift-Click or click/drag for a ranged selection, )

What do you guys think?

What if they subdivided the GPS Units And Software so that GSAK becomes another level in the hierarchy? Then messages could be started by users, but they would be grouped under the GSAK topic.

I know this requires changes by Groundspeak, but I wonder if this would solve any problems discussed. What becomes of the search function? Not being a savvy user, I don't know if the additional sublevel does anything for you there.

I also don't know what it does for the "follow the thread" automatic notification feature. That is what I use, and I have to turn it on every time another version comes out. I don't generally go into the forum other than via that route. I assume that would be lost under my suggestion.

Anyway, I didn't see it in the original list of possibilities. That is unless it was there and I didn't recognize it. So I thought I would see if those who knew more than I might comment on it.

I would imagine the real issue might be getting Groundspeak to make it happen.

I know this requires changes by Groundspeak, but I wonder if this would solve any problems discussed. What becomes of the search function? Not being a savvy user, I don't know if the additional sublevel does anything for you there.

In the past there have been mumblings about using the forum to support commercial software programs etc.

I think it makes sense for the global good - in the sense that all GSAK's users are geocaching.com users and most GSAK users are probably premium members and this is the most likely place they would prefer to congregate.

What if they subdivided the GPS Units And Software so that GSAK becomes another level in the hierarchy? Then messages could be started by users, but they would be grouped under the GSAK topic...I wonder if this would solve any problems discussed.

For me, this has some of the same problems as option 1 - i.e. multiple threads to follow would make it more difficult to keep up with the discussions, even if they were all in a GSAK forum.

What becomes of the search function?

I don't think it would make any difference for searches, although the thread titles (if properly worded by the original posters, which is a big "if") could serve as a table of contents.

I also don't know what it does for the "follow the thread" automatic notification feature. That is what I use, and I have to turn it on every time another version comes out. I don't generally go into the forum other than via that route. I assume that would be lost under my suggestion,

You can also subscribe to a forum (versus a particular thread), so I don't think you'd lose this functionality, but again, you'd have multiple threads within that forum to follow.

A GSAK forum certainly would be preferrable to having multiple GSAK threads scattered through a generic forum (i.e. mixed in with other topics), but I'm not convinced it would make it easier to find specific information...

Yes, the easiest method is if you can get the GPX files from everyone in the group. (because they contain the found status for everyone in the group)

Then all you need to do, is create a new database and load all the GPX files into this new database. Finally if you set a filter on "not found" this will return a subset of all the caches that every one in the group has not found

Just make sure you select the following options when you load each GPX file into the database (or just put all the GPX files into the same folder, then tell GSAK to load the folder of files)

Boy, you sure need to be fast in this thread. Back on page eight are the above instructions for creating a database of unfound caches for a group. I think the settings you give are incorrect, though.

load2.png

If I read it right this would mark as unfound any caches found by previous members of the group but unfound by the one that is being added. On [Found Status Update Options] shouldn't [Found only] be marked?

Firstly what specificly, if you can say, is the 'noise'?

Secondly is the noise coming from TPTB or is it coming from GSAK users who are complaining about having to wade through all of the info/pages we are creating?

If it is GC.com then what are 'their' suggestions?

If it is GSAK users and/or nwbies, then maybe they should appreciate the wealth of information that is present from other users that by reading through the thread they could benifit from.

I think one thread for each version is not unreasonable, if everyone started their own topic/thread per question then there would be a huge amount of duplication of questions and cross posting which would take up more space and make it very hard to find your answer, thus promoting a 'just post my question rather that search myself' attitude.

My choice from those originally given, would be #4, with a FAQ section supporting the most recent version of GSAK (ie. remove questions/issues that were specific to a older version and solved by a newer version) and/or any still relevant issues.

Yes, the easiest method is if you can get the GPX files from everyone in the group. (because they contain the found status for everyone in the group)

Then all you need to do, is create a new database and load all the GPX files into this new database. Finally if you set a filter on "not found" this will return a subset of all the caches that every one in the group has not found

Just make sure you select the following options when you load each GPX file into the database (or just put all the GPX files into the same folder, then tell GSAK to load the folder of files)

Boy, you sure need to be fast in this thread. Back on page eight are the above instructions for creating a database of unfound caches for a group. I think the settings you give are incorrect, though.

If I read it right this would mark as unfound any caches found by previous members of the group but unfound by the one that is being added. On [Found Status Update Options] shouldn't [Found only] be marked?

WOOPS

My bad. Yes, you are 100% correct.

Firstly what specificly, if you can say, is the 'noise'?

Secondly is the noise coming from TPTB or is it coming from GSAK users who are complaining about having to wade through all of the info/pages we are creating?

If it is GC.com then what are 'their' suggestions?

If it is GSAK users and/or nwbies, then maybe they should appreciate the wealth of information that is present from other users that by reading through the thread they could benifit from.

I think one thread for each version is not unreasonable, if everyone started their own topic/thread per question then there would be a huge amount of duplication of questions and cross posting which would take up more space and make it very hard to find your answer, thus promoting a 'just post my question rather that search myself' attitude.

My choice from those originally given, would be #4, with a FAQ section supporting the most recent version of GSAK (ie. remove questions/issues that were specific to a older version and solved by a newer version) and/or any still relevant issues.

Yes, perhaps I should have been more specific.

The "noise" I refer to was pureley from GSAK users not Groundspeak.

I get a lot of support questions via email. I do try to answer all of these but I often mention the GSAK thread as an alternative. Some of these users say they don't like forums and the GSAK thread is too large.

So from that perspecitve, I like your comments here. :sad: