Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Must .... read .... all .... posts .... before .... asking... question. Couldn't do it, got about 1/2 way through and then went to the end and read the last few. Since everyone is so nice and patient, I knew I would still get help even if it's been asked before ;)

When I launch GSAK, it opens in the fully maximized screen mode (just the way I like it). Sometimes, not always, it opens in a smaller window, but the maximize button in the top right still shows it as maximized (it displays the restore down button). I click on the restore down button, it changes the window, then I click maximize, and it does maximize to the full screen. Obviously not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.

Great package Clyde, I use it all the time, and suspect I don't come close to using all of it's functionality.

Cheers!

Recently I purchased DeLorme Topo USA 5.0. For the first few map drops out of GSAK I got the "Not Found" chest on the map; now, for some reason I get only the DeLorme "Red Flag". I can't figure out what I did to change this. It's no big deal at this stage, but I would like to put the symbol of my choice on, particularly if I begin using multiple symbols. It's probably a simple fix on the DeLorme side, but I'm baffled.

Could renaming a database be one of the future options please?

As a work around, you can do this now through windows explorer.

All gsak databases are really just windows folders, and all the GSAK data is contained in these folders (with the same name as the database)

All these folders are stored in your "database folder" as configured via Tools=>Options=>General

So just rename the required folders using Windows Explorer, and GSAK will automatically pick up the renamed databases with the new name.

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde,

is there any possibility to add a special tag for the field "found by me"? :blink:

Also a bugreport: in transferring the %dist and when using a metric non-US format (e.g. 13,8 km) the comma does not show (which results in 138 km dist). :D

Thnx, Poppo.

Is it possible to 'send to GPSr now' in the gc.com code format rather than in the GSAK smart name format???

This option will use what ever where the last settings used to send waypoints to your GPS.

So if you do GPS=>Send waypoints, and change the waypoint name from %smart to %code, the next time you use 'send to GPSr now' you will get the GCXXXX code sent to your GPSr

I had changed that bit under the 'send waypoints to GPS' window and saved the settings, but since I didn't actually send anything to the GPSr, I guess it didn't change the 'send now' settings.

That is correct. You actually have to "send" waypoints to your GPSr for the "last used settings" (some call this "sticky" settings) to take effect.

If you click on the cancel button at any time, any changes you make to this dialog will not become "sticky".

I just can't figure out this filter thing. So far I have 500 caches closest to my home and I update this daily. I don't want to lose this. I will be traveling on a trip next month and want to create a file for this trip. How do I do this? I know how to get it to GSAK but don't want it mixed with my home group. How do I set it up to keep these seperate? I want to be able to pull up home caches and then go to another folder/file to see my trip caches. I hope this makes sense.

I just can't figure out this filter thing. So far I have 500 caches closest to my home and I update this daily. I don't want to lose this. I will be traveling on a trip next month and want to create a file for this trip. How do I do this? I know how to get it to GSAK but don't want it mixed with my home group. How do I set it up to keep these seperate? I want to be able to pull up home caches and then go to another folder/file to see my trip caches. I hope this makes sense.

This is what databases are for.

Just create a new database (Database=>New) and call it "Trip" or something meaningful for you.

Now all you need to do is to make sure you have the correct database selected (use the database drop down box) before you load GPX files or do any export.

Just in case there is something strange going on with your database could you also try Database=>Repair/Defrag

I'll give that a try, thanks.

OK, well I've defragged the GSAK database, deleted all items in my CacheMate database and reloaded them from GSAK exports, so that I know the records are all new. Still no logs in the cache pages though! I tried asking for 10 logs, 5 logs, 1 log, but there were none in any of them. Any more suggestions?

Just in case there is something strange going on with your database could you also try Database=>Repair/Defrag

OK, well I've defragged the GSAK database, deleted all items in my CacheMate database and reloaded them from GSAK exports, so that I know the records are all new. Still no logs in the cache pages though! I tried asking for 10 logs, 5 logs, 1 log, but there were none in any of them. Any more suggestions?

I had that same problem until I noticed that on cachemate there was a little (very small!) icon for the most recent logs. When I hit that then the logs would open up.

I had that same problem until I noticed that on cachemate there was a little (very small!) icon for the most recent logs. When I hit that then the logs would open up.

When I launch GSAK, it opens in the fully maximized screen mode (just the way I like it).  Sometimes, not always, it opens in a smaller window, but the maximize button in the top right still shows it as maximized (it displays the restore down button).  I click on the restore down button, it changes the window, then I click maximize, and it does maximize to the full screen.  Obviously not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.

I've noticed this too. Is it just a Windows thing or specifically related to GSAK? Anybody know?

Have just [successfully ;) ] used the option to export my cache locations from GSAK to my UK Fugawi Ordnance Survey Maps on my main PC (very impressed!)

Is there a facility to do export my cache waypoints to the same software on my Pocket PC (either directly from GSAK or some other way)?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but this would be a really useful facility!

Chris

Which view in CacheMate are you using? If you are always in overview, you have to check "show logs in overview" in the 'record view options'.

Edit to add: You might also want to ask this question in the CacheMate thread in this forum for a point-of-view from the other side.

Edited by The Jester

Which view in CacheMate are you using? If you are always in overview, you have to check "show logs in overview" in the 'record view options'.

Edit to add: You might also want to ask this question in the CacheMate thread in this forum for a point-of-view from the other side.

I wasn't really using the Overview page in CM, mostly the "P" page, which has a little drop-down just saying "none". I just went and changed to Overview, and clicked "show logs in overview", but nothing appeared at the bottom of the Overview.

Thanks for the link to the Cachemate thread, I'll try that. (I did try to get onto the forums of the smittyware.com website over the weekend, but never could get a login/password confirmation emailed to me ;) )

OK, looks like it was a CacheMate problem after all.

I just did a rescan of the memory card, and it found a load of records. I put them in Unfiled and the logs are attached to this "new" set of (duplicate) records. I deleted all the neatly filed and organised records in Multi, Traditional, Mystery etc (sob!), and now have 582 records to re-classify! ARSE.

OK, I don't know if this is a bug or it is just me, but...

When I copy a cache from one database to another - by selecting the user flag for the caches I want to copy over, then UserSet filter, then copy - I go back to the original database to deselect the user flag, it won't let me deselect the flag. In fact, I can't select any other caches either. Even if I go to a different database, I can't select the user flag on any cache. I can go to User Flags --> Clear All, and they disappear, but I can't select any other ones.

I have to exit GSAK, and go back in and then everything works fine.

The same thing happens if I delete caches by using the User Flag.

Hope this makes sense.

;)

OK, I don't know if this is a bug or it is just me, but...

When I copy a cache from one database to another - by selecting the user flag for the caches I want to copy over, then UserSet filter, then copy - I go back to the original database to deselect the user flag, it won't let me deselect the flag.  In fact, I can't select any other caches either.  Even if I go to a different database, I can't select the user flag on any cache.  I can go to User Flags --> Clear All, and they disappear, but I can't select any other ones.

I have to exit GSAK, and go back in and then everything works fine.

The same thing happens if I delete caches by using the User Flag.

Hope this makes sense.

;)

Hmm, I haven't heard of this one, nor can I replicate this behaviour (also what version of GSAK are you running?)

Perhaps if you could provide step by step instructions we might be able to get to the bottom of this.

One other question, have you made the user flag column the very first column in GSAK? (if so try moving it to a different position and see if you observe the same behaviour)

edited to add last question

Edited by ClydeE

Hmm, I haven't heard of this one, nor can I replicate this behaviour (also what version of GSAK are you running?)

Perhaps if you could provide step by step instructions we might be able to get to the bottom of this.

One other question, have you made the user flag column the very first column in GSAK? (if so try moving it to a different position and see if you observe the same behaviour)

That did it, the User flag column was in the first position, I moved it over one column and now it works fine. Thanks, I would never have figured that out.

;)

It happened on the previous version, tonight I saw the latest version available 5.0.4, installed it, and the same thing happened.

No that looks like an operator headspace problem. You have to make a decision when you import, and if you just select the default Unfiled category, then you'll put the caches into the unfiled category. If you want them in another category, you have to select that. Note, if you want separate categories for different cache types, and want them imported that way, you'll have to do separate exports via filters for each cache type, and carefully select the category on each import, or else do it manually on the Palm.

No that looks like an operator headspace problem. You have to make a decision when you import, and if you just select the default Unfiled category, then you'll put the caches into the unfiled category. If you want them in another category, you have to select that. Note, if you want separate categories for different cache types, and want them imported that way, you'll have to do separate exports via filters for each cache type, and carefully select the category on each import, or else do it manually on the Palm.

No, I wasn't being dim, but thanks anyway. The file that CM found after re-scanning the memory card was an old set of caches from about 3 months ago. I have set up separate cache exports for different types, and am perfectly capable of importing them correctly. This was from doing a re-scan of the memory card default.pdb (not the individually categorised sets I've done for the last few months) and didn't give me an option other than to import the lot in one place or cancel.

No that looks like an operator headspace problem.

Without getting in to the right and the wrong of the actual issue, (I've never used CacheMate)

My personal favorite way of saying this is "It's an interface problem between the chair and the keyboard."...

When I launch GSAK, it opens in the fully maximized screen mode (just the way I like it).  Sometimes, not always, it opens in a smaller window, but the maximize button in the top right still shows it as maximized (it displays the restore down button).  I click on the restore down button, it changes the window, then I click maximize, and it does maximize to the full screen.  Obviously not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.

I've noticed this too. Is it just a Windows thing or specifically related to GSAK? Anybody know?

I've noticed the same thing. Looks like a bug to me. Seems like it is maximized to an 800x600 window...

I've noticed the same thing. Looks like a bug to me. Seems like it is maximized to an 800x600 window...

I have never come across this one before, so If someone could give the exact steps that will cause this behaviour I would like to know.

It does however, sound like a Windows "anomoly" because if the window is showing on the screen as maximized then it should take up the full screen no matter what the resolution is. In fact, I don't know of any way to actaully show a screen as maximized, yet not take up the full screen.

Just wondering, this new version that came out. Something in the release notes made me think that it might support Cache attributes (once they are actually in the GPX file), or am I just dreaming...

No, I haven't seen cache attribututes pop up in the GPX file yet (yea, I know they are coming soon)

I really need to see them in the flesh and how users will be using them before I begin coding support for these.

Problem is, its not a consistent thing (at least not that I can see). I wonder if it is a variable intialization problem? Don't know how Delphi makes windows, as I've never really used it. I'd be hesitant to blame it on windows though, as I've never seen it with any other program (maybe you can blame it on Delphi :rolleyes: ).

No, I haven't seen cache attribututes pop up in the GPX file yet (yea, I know they are coming soon)

I really need to see them in the flesh and how users will be using them before I begin coding support for these.

I thought read over in the main forums, on one of Jeremy's posts that where they are going to appear is already defined, but reading over it now, it seems I was mistaken.

(first instance of me linking a post directly, so we'll see if it works...)

Problem is, its not a consistent thing (at least not that I can see). I wonder if it is a variable intialization problem? Don't know how Delphi makes windows, as I've never really used it. I'd be hesitant to blame it on windows though, as I've never seen it with any other program (maybe you can blame it on Delphi :o ).

Yea, I guess it is splitting hairs -but the reason I might blame it on Windows is that Windows is showing the screen as maximized - when in fact it is not. :rolleyes:

I thought read over in the main forums, on one of Jeremy's posts that where they are going to appear is already defined, but reading over it now, it seems I was mistaken.

(first instance of me linking a post directly, so we'll see if it works...)

There are two separate issues here

1. Caches attributes on the gc.com cache pages

2. Cache attributes in GPX files

GSAK can't really do anything with attributes until item 2 happens.

Yep, I know, I know. The part I misread in the post I quoted was the second statement"

Will attributes be available in Pocket Queries?

Pocket Queries will not contain the attribute information until we update the specification for the GPX to allow this info. We did create an attribute feature in 1.1 but we'll most likely change it to another version to accomodate some new ideas.

I read the second part to meant that the attribute feature was where the info was going to go, but they were going to update the spec to make it more obvious. When I re-read it, with the intent of quoting it, I noticed my mistake (seems that they are going to change their mind on how it was to be defined in there), but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to link direct to another message.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted to ask everyone to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm finally enjoying multiple logs (up to 10) in my not-found queries since I've got the correct checkboxes checked, etc.

One of the things that I do when I get queries in is to update/populate my Notfound database. Because of syncronization timings when I get queries in vs. when I log my finds, I first sort by userflag in order to group all the "non-updated" caches together. Usually, these non-updated caches will contain some (or all) of the caches I have found and already logged, but because of the unsync nature, they're still showing up. So, I delete them, one-by-one - right click, "delete", this one, just this once.

Without resetting the userflags (due to other stuff I want to do with the query the way it is, AFTER I delete the ones I've found, but yet keep the ones that aren't updated) - is there an easy way to "Delete these N caches" from the db?

I suspect the answer is "No". But, I thought I'd bounce it first.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted to ask everyone to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm finally enjoying multiple logs (up to 10) in my not-found queries since I've got the correct checkboxes checked, etc.

One of the things that I do when I get queries in is to update/populate my Notfound database. Because of syncronization timings when I get queries in vs. when I log my finds, I first sort by userflag in order to group all the "non-updated" caches together. Usually, these non-updated caches will contain some (or all) of the caches I have found and already logged, but because of the unsync nature, they're still showing up. So, I delete them, one-by-one - right click, "delete", this one, just this once.

Without resetting the userflags (due to other stuff I want to do with the query the way it is, AFTER I delete the ones I've found, but yet keep the ones that aren't updated) - is there an easy way to "Delete these N caches" from the db?

Thanks!

Why don't you get a PQ of your finds and import that into your database. Then filter out found caches and delete them?

I don't really understand why you don't want found caches in your database. You can keep found AND unfound in the same database and use filters to see only the ones you want.

Why don't you get a PQ of your finds and import that into your database.  Then filter out found caches and delete them?

I don't really understand why you don't want found caches in your database.  You can keep found AND unfound in the same database and use filters to see only the ones you want.

And if you use filters instead of a separate database for not found, you can right click on a cache that you've found, choose "edit" and check the found box (about two thirds of the way down the "edit current waypoint" page) and enter the date you found it. Once you check the "Found" box in GSAK, when you apply your "not found" filter, caches you've found go away, even if your latest download doesn't show them as found (make sure on the "Open GPX/Loc file" dialog screen, you have "Found Status Update Options" set to "Found Only" so that it doesn't overwrite your manual found notation).

I have a saved filter called "available caches". On the "General" tab within the filter dialog, I have Found Status = "not found" and "exclude caches placed by you." On the "other" tab, I have certain cache types selected that I want included, and others not selected (e.g. event caches) that I want excluded.

When I apply this filter, I get just the available caches (not found by me, not owned by me) of the types I want to seek and can export them to my GPSr, mapping programs, and Cachemate on my PDA! :huh: Much easier than setting user flags, sorting, deleting, etc.

Clyde, I love the program!! I have a question. I go to large cities to cache often and usually it is with different people or different combinations of people. We have a standing rule to not look for caches that have been previously found by anyone in the group. I have tried using the feature to disreguard finds by XXXXX cachers. and it worked to a point. It seems that it filtered all of the finds back by about 5 finds, but how do I get a complete filtering? I can get PQ's for all of the other people if that is necessary. Please give me step by step directions. And Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I tried to find a reference to this question but came up blank. Sawdust92

Clyde, I love the program!! I have a question. I go to large cities to cache often and usually it is with different people or different combinations of people. We have a standing rule to not look for caches that have been previously found by anyone in the group. I have tried using the feature to disreguard finds by XXXXX cachers. and it worked to a point. It seems that it filtered all of the finds back by about 5 finds, but how do I get a complete filtering? I can get PQ's for all of the other people if that is necessary. Please give me step by step directions. And Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I tried to find a reference to this question but came up blank. Sawdust92

I will give you some tips for the way I like to do this. There are several methods and Clyde recently answered this question for me with a very good, but different method. It lead me to this one.

Do get pocket queries from each person in GPX format for caches they have found. These will include a found log from each find the person has in the pocket query except for inactive caches, but since you won't be hunting them its not a issue.

I would make a backup of your main database and do the following. Take your database and then import the GPX files from the other users telling it not to change your finds even if the GPX file marks it as found. That will just add the "found" logs from the GPX files of the fellow cachers, but not mess up your "Found" number. If you forget to tell GSAK to ignore the found data in the GPX file, it will mess up your found count and you will need to restore your database.

Find out the Geocaching ID number for each member of your party, this can be found in the GPX files that you get and instructions on how to find it in the GSAK faq.

Filter out caches with found logs from Geocaching ID numbers from all the members of your party. I use the Geocaching ID numbers because several of the people I cache with have changed their ID over time (including me), but the Geocaching ID number does not change.

Thanks!

I am not 100% sure I have the right handle on what you are trying to do.

In a nut shell, I think you are saying you would like to use the "user flag" to delete a group of waypoints (rather than one at a time) but can't do this because you already have the user flags set for some other reason, and you don't want to alter this just to do the delete?

This being the case, then what you really want to be able to do is save the current state of the user flags, change them, then restore back to the previously saved sate. Yes, you can do this. (and you can even make up a macro to help automate the process)

The first thing you need to do, is to save the current state of the user flags. You can do this by setting a filter on "user flag=set", then exporting your database to a GPX file (File=>Export=>GPX)

You can now do what ever you like with the user flags to enable you to do multiple deletes. Finally, when you are finished doing the deletes or what ever and you want to restore your user flags settings to your previous state, just load back in the exported GPX file, but make sure you have the following options selected as in the picture below

load1.png

Clyde, I love the program!!  I have a question.  I go to large cities to cache often and usually it is with different people or different combinations of people. We have a standing rule to not look for caches that have been previously found by anyone in the group. I have tried using the feature to disreguard finds by XXXXX cachers. and it worked to a point. It seems that it filtered all of the finds back by about 5 finds, but how do I get a complete filtering? I can get PQ's for all of the other people if that is necessary. Please give me step by step directions.  And Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I tried to find a reference to this question but came up blank. Sawdust92

Yes, the easiest method is if you can get the GPX files from everyone in the group. (because they contain the found status for everyone in the group)

Then all you need to do, is create a new database and load all the GPX files into this new database. Finally if you set a filter on "not found" this will return a subset of all the caches that every one in the group has not found

Just make sure you select the following options when you load each GPX file into the database (or just put all the GPX files into the same folder, then tell GSAK to load the folder of files)

load2.png

Edited by ClydeE

No, I wasn't being dim, but thanks anyway. The file that CM found after re-scanning the memory card was an old set of caches from about 3 months ago. I have set up separate cache exports for different types, and am perfectly capable of importing them correctly. This was from doing a re-scan of the memory card default.pdb (not the individually categorised sets I've done for the last few months) and didn't give me an option other than to import the lot in one place or cancel.

OK, the new update of GSAK fixed my problem somehow. My cachemate exports now have logs in them again, at last.

I'm still learning the features of GSAK, but for jump-right-in-without-looking-first factor, I give it a 10, A+, excellent rating.

Now... if I only had time to read the manual... B)

Manual??!! You got a manual?? B):smile:

Haven't you heard? If all else fails, read the manual... (lucky dog, wish I got a manual)

Sorry, could resist...

Manual??!!  You got a manual??  :(  :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard?  If all else fails, read the manual...  (lucky dog, wish I got a manual)

Heh.... I was referring to the pages on ClydeE's website. Curretly, I'm looking for a way to put in my notes that I make. I use Cachemate when I'm out unsuccessfully looking for geocaches, and I make notes in my Visor... but I'm not sure how to transfer that into the logs that I have GSAK, or whether it's even possible. And then including all those logs of all the easy 1/1's I've missed onto the Geocaching webpage. I know I'm missing something here..... :mad:

Ah well.

Edited by Limax
Manual??!!  You got a manual??  :(  :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard?  If all else fails, read the manual...  (lucky dog, wish I got a manual)

Heh.... I was referring to the pages on ClydeE's website. Curretly, I'm looking for a way to put in my notes that I make. I use Cachemate when I'm out unsuccessfully looking for geocaches, and I make notes in my Visor... but I'm not sure how to transfer that into the logs that I have GSAK, or whether it's even possible. And then including all those logs of all the easy 1/1's I've missed onto the Geocaching webpage. I know I'm missing something here..... :mad:

Ah well.

I will be looking at ways to help automate loging of caches on gc.com in the next release.

However some points to note for the current release that might help you out.

1. You can update notes for any cache (right mouse click cache, select add/change/delete note) You can then copy and past information into these notes

2. You can add pictures or any html to these notes

3. You can automatically go to the log page at geocaching.com via a custom URL - if you do this often I suggest you add this button to the tool bar.

Note: If you do not have the "log cache" as a custom URL in your version of GSAK just add the following via Tools=>Options=>HTML

Log cache=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid