Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Not really a bug, but rather a lack of a feature. There happens to be a cache around here called : ) (actually no space between the : and the ), but I don't want the forum software to change it in to a smiley). Of course neither the : or the ) will export to the GPS, sooooooo I get no waypoint for it. Would be nice to get a warning/prompt to override the caculated smart name when I try to send it to the GPS.

Right mouse click the cache, then select edit. Then you can override the smart name permanently to fix this little bugger :rolleyes:

There happens to be a cache around here called : ) [ ... ] Of course neither the : or the ) will export to the GPS, sooooooo I get no waypoint

It's legal on some GPSes but not others. GSAK can't (or shouldn't) know which so GPSBabel should probably catch this [ mumble mumble ] case. Please privately send me the GC# of this litlte horror.

(Internationalized cache names are a less contrived way of running into variations of this how that I'm thinking about it...)

Not really a bug, but rather a lack of a feature. There happens to be a cache around here called : ) (actually no space between the : and the ), but I don't want the forum software to change it in to a smiley). Of course neither the : or the ) will export to the GPS, sooooooo I get no waypoint for it. Would be nice to get a warning/prompt to override the caculated smart name when I try to send it to the GPS.

Right mouse click the cache, then select edit. Then you can override the smart name permanently to fix this little bugger :rolleyes:

Oh I know I can do that, only I didn't think of it being in the list until today (and it has been on my list since day one...) Its a puzzle cache that I haven't solved yet so I haven't actually missed it in my GPS yet.

have you tried changing "documents and settings" in to docume~1 (or whatever the MS-DOS short name happens to be on your system?)

No, I'm unaware of the convention of which you speak. How can I find out what the proper short name for this folder would be?

Unless something really weird happend on your system, you want docume~1 in there. Basically long file names are also stored as the first six characters, and then a ~#, so that old MS-DOS programs can still access the files. The number increments for each file with the same first six characters (to keep things unique).

To find out the MS-DOS name, go to the command prompt, and do a dir /x in the directory above where you want to find out the short name for it, and it will show you the 'short name' for the directory.

The most likely name is the first six characters ~1.

I meant temp in the sense that I personally categorized them as such. This situation that I've been dealing with allowed me to specify where the file was sent, I just had trouble directing it to a particulal path, seemingly because of a space in the name of one of the folders.

This has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Is anybody working on a GSAK for OSX (Mac)?

CMConvert has a Mac front end and there is a Mac GPSBabble (both of which I have), so some of it is already available.

Too the World; GSAK Rules

Ok that said I need some help. I would like to create a filter that shows my finds and the finds of another GC user. The purpose to be able to create a list of unfound caches by both of us to plan a group cacheing day.

I started by exporting my finds to a new GPX then changing the Tools>Options>General>Use gc.com logon ID# to the other users ID. The problem starts here as the database refreshes the placed caches but not the found caches.

Any Ideas?

Also on further thought I am not sure performing this exercise will give me the tool I need anyway. I will have a GPX file of both our finds but what could I do to compare this file to the remaining caches available to us?

Would it be a desirable feature to filter the dbase by many gc.com logon ID#'s? I think it would be a very good feature for event and/or cache machine planning.

I would like to create a filter that shows my finds and the finds of another GC user. The purpose to be able to create a list of unfound caches by both of us to plan a group cacheing day.

Clyde gave a great answer to this on Dec 30th. Go back a few days and everything you need is right there. Clyde is the bomb!!!

Edited by FawverFamily
I would like to create a filter that shows my finds and the finds of another GC user. The purpose to be able to create a list of unfound caches by both of us to plan a group cacheing day.

Yup, it's a popular one. It was first raised December 29 in this post, and answered in the next two posts (by Clyde and a user, giving two different solutions).

Then it was raised again on December 30 in this post, and answered by Clyde for two cachers in this post, and for 3 or more cachers in this post. As pointed out above, the December 30 replies are much more extensive.

It pays to search or read through the thread! ;)

This has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Is anybody working on a GSAK for OSX (Mac)?

CMConvert has a Mac front end and there is a Mac GPSBabble (both of which I have), so some of it is already available.

No, GSAK is written in Delphi and there is no Delphi environment for the Mac.

However, Mac users that have "virtual pc" have reported that GSAK runs just fine.

I'm trying to print a list of one of my databases in grid column format and I keep getting the following message; "Ths file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." How do I do that? The control panel associates an .htm file (the type of file it's complaining about) with Firefox. Am I missing something?

Frank

I'm trying to print a list of one of my databases in grid column format and I keep getting the following message; "Ths file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."  How do I do that?  The control panel associates an .htm file (the type of file it's complaining about) with Firefox.  Am I missing something?

You need to have the print action associated with htm files (which most systems have this automatically done to use the default browser). You normally do this by going the to control panel, double click on folder options, then click on "file types" then finally the advanced button.

Hopefully someone who is more of a "windows guru" should be able to help you with the exact steps to set up the association of the print option for firefox.

However, the easy way to get around this is to just click on the "preview" button rather than "print". When in preview mode, the HTML should be shown in your default browser - now just print from your browser (Usually File=>Print)

Edited by ClydeE

However, Mac users that have "virtual pc" have reported that GSAK runs just fine.

...except the Mac users that have Garmin USB-only models. They're hosed, be it native or VPC.

Garmin USB is so non-conformant that it doesn't work with VPC. Users of the 60 and 76 can get away with doing the xfers over the serial hose. VistaC, LegendC, Quest, and SP26xx Mac users will find no joy with VPC - and that's not a GSAK or GPSBabel problem.

Ok, I started reading this thread but got bored after two and a half pages and posted my earlier question. The responses that directed me to the previous posts were a big help, thanks, and no charge for the attitude either! Awsome :huh: .

I am know on my way to figuring out the proper way to do this filter. I still think there is a problem with changing the gc.com logon ID# and getting the found caches to reset properly.

I started by exporting my finds to a new GPX then changing the Tools>Options>General>Use gc.com logon ID# to the other users ID. The problem starts here as the database refreshes the placed caches but not the found caches.

I perform the following steps:

• 1. Create New dbase
  • 2. Change gc.com logon ID#
  • 3. Open my standard GPX file (Lists nearest 400 caches from a given Lat & Long.)

The dbase imediately changes the hidden caches correctly for the new user but keeps the found caches the same as my finds regardless of the previous gc.com logon ID# used. Am I doing something wrong in loading the dbase or something else?

thanks

Ok, I started reading this thread but got bored after two and a half pages and posted my earlier question. The responses that directed me to the previous posts were a big help, thanks, and no charge for the attitude either! Awsome  :huh: .

I am know on my way to figuring out the proper way to do this filter. I still think there is a problem with changing the gc.com logon ID# and getting the found caches to reset properly.

I perform the following steps:

•  

• 1. Create New dbase

• 2. Change gc.com logon ID#

• 3. Open my standard GPX file (Lists nearest 400 caches from a given Lat & Long.)

The dbase imediately changes the hidden caches correctly for the new user but keeps the found caches the same as my finds regardless of the previous gc.com logon ID# used. Am I doing something wrong in loading the dbase or something else?

thanks

Ok, to understand why this is not working we need to understand a little more about how GSAK indicates a cache as found.

When you load a GPX file, GSAK updates caches as found in two steps.

1. As indicated by the GPX file. If you are a premium member and get a GPX file via a PQ, the GPX file will indicate which caches have been found.

2. By interrogating the logs and matching the found log as per your matching specifications (In your case gc.com id). This method takes care of caches that don't actually have the found indicator set in the GPX file (For example, an event cache) and caches that allow multiple finds. This way GSAK can correctly calculate your total found count.

Now, by changing the gc.com logon ID# and loading the GPX file again, GSAK will recalculate found counts based on step 2, however you still get founds as per step 1 because they are not allocated to a particular logon ID#. The GPX file just says the cache has been found - not by a particular logon ID

The way to get around this would be to:

1. Do a global replace on the database, replace "found status" with "not found"

2. Change your Logon ID to the required ID for matching

3. Load the GPX file, but in the "Found status update options" make sure you select "never"

By setting the "found status update options" in step 3 to "never" you stop GSAK updating a cache as found per step 1 above. However, step 2 above now interrogates all your logs to get just the finds for the logon ID# you have now entered.

Note this method will not be 100% accurate because it relies upon the logs to calculate finds. You always get your own found log in a PQ, so your found count will always be correct. However, if you are trying to calculate finds for another user and that user found the cache more than five logs ago, there is a chance you won't get a match because you only get the last 5 logs in a PQ. GSAK does of course accumulate logs, so if you have sufficient log history this method will in fact be 100% correct, but I am pointing out the reason why it may not.

Edited by ClydeE
and second question: as I export html files, I always have all cache descriptions with me on the PDA (in a 75km radius as set by the filter).. the only problem is that sometimes caches require pictures to be recognized... these I can't find on the offline html files.. is there a possibility ?

It would appear there is a work around for this.

For those that would automatically like to get the spoiler pictures included and sent down to your PDA check out this free utility http://www.anode.plus.com/spoilersync

Take a look at the FAQ. The instructions in the "How can I automate Spoilersync and Plucker" also shows you how to automate this process (including plucker) from a GSAK macro.

Thank You very much for that explanation Clyde. One less user you will have to explain it to. So really the best way to do the task is either download the users finds via thier stats page or get them to email thier found PQ. Makes sense.

Again thanks for the software.

and second question:  as I export html files, I always have all cache descriptions with me on the PDA (in a 75km radius as set by the filter).. the only problem is that sometimes caches require pictures to be recognized... these I can't find on the offline html files.. is there a possibility ?

It would appear there is a work around for this.

For those that would automatically like to get the spoiler pictures included and sent down to your PDA check out this free utility http://www.anode.plus.com/spoilersync

Take a look at the FAQ. The instructions in the "How can I automate Spoilersync and Plucker" also shows you how to automate this process (including plucker) from a GSAK macro.

hehe - i wondered how long before spoilersync would get mentioned in this thread (and is why i asked ages ago about calling external programs from gsak :-)

Totally changing the subject I've added a list of uk motorway junctions to my locations so that its now possible to get caches near junctions and using the html functions to have 1 click access to this list. For more details and for the text file to add to your locations, go to my blog post. Is there a limit to the number of locations clyde?

Totally changing the subject I've added a list of uk motorway junctions to my locations so that its now possible to get caches near junctions and using the html functions to have 1 click access to this list. For more details and for the text file to add to your locations, go to my blog post. Is there a limit to the number of locations clyde?

As this is a windows control, then yes there would be a limit. I think the limit would also vary by operating system, but even windows 98 should allow for 2 thousand or so.

Correct me if am wrong, but these "motorway junctions" sound very much like "highway exitis". So, if you are travelling a particular route, don't forget you can enter these "motorway junctions" into a GSAK arc filter (select the points option) and you will then automatically get a list of caches x miles from all of the junctions on your route.

Edited by ClydeE

Correct me if am wrong, but these "motorway junctions" sound very much like "highway exitis". So, if you are travelling a particular route,  don't forget you can enter these "motorway junctions" into a GSAK arc filter (select the points option) and you will then automatically get a list of caches x miles from all of the junctions on your route.

yep and thats why i did it. Although most of the time when work is paying my petrol I will look for caches at my destination. But like you say, plotting a path by junction number is also possible.

Clyde,

Do you have any plans to make the "Views" and "Locations" drop-down boxes sticky? When I open GSAK, the boxes revert to the top entry, even if that is not the one currently being used. Any filters are of course cleared, so moving to the top (NONE) option is correct for that box, and the "Database" box correctly displays the current database in use. Seems like it would make sense for the other boxes to be consistent as well.

Do you have any plans to make the "Views" and "Locations" drop-down boxes sticky? When I open GSAK, the boxes revert to the top entry, even if that is not the one currently being used. Any filters are of course cleared, so moving to the top (NONE) option is correct for that box, and the "Database" box correctly displays the current database in use. Seems like it would make sense for the other boxes to be consistent as well.

The database drop down box is "sticky" because when you start GSAK you always start with a particular database - the last one used. This behaviour is finite, and can't be changed by the user.

This is not necessarily the case for locations and views. For example, you might first select a location as your centre point, then later on in the session, set a cache as your centre point (or post code). If you now exit GSAK, then later start up GSAK, the cache (or post code) is still your centre point - so you can't synchronize any corresponding location in the drop down box. A location is really just a "type" of centre point, and you don't always have a location as your centre point.

As you can manually change the current view at any time, a similar logic applies as to why you can't synchronize the views drop down box between sessions.

Hello! I just bought my GPSr (Garmin 76CS) last week & was fiddling around with GSAK last night. I have a question about the cache symbols/icons. How do the symbol names correspond to the actual Mapsource symbols? I changed the symbol for geocache to geocache (I don't recall what it originally was) which should be an unopened chest. But when the cache waypoints are transferred it ends up as a bridge or something in the train section (I'm not at home so I don't remember exactly what it was.) Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff

I've searched the previous pages of this thread but couldn't find a post with this problem - apologies if i just didn't spot it.

I have PQs delivering me .gpx files of caches, which I import into the GSAK database. When I look at the caches in GSAK, I can see the logs of previous finders on each cache page as I select it. However, when I export caches to a Cachemate file, there are no logs in them. When I first started using GSAK/CM the logs were there, and though I don't think I've changed anything, they're not there now. I have changed the dialog box in the Export Cachemate File popup window (before the file is generated) to 1 log, 10 logs, and numbers in between, but when I sync the files onto my Palm, there are no logs.

Could this be a GSAK problem, or is it a Cachemate one?

Cheers,

Dr. B

I've searched the previous pages of this thread but couldn't find a post with this problem - apologies if i just didn't spot it.

I have PQs delivering me .gpx files of caches, which I import into the GSAK database. When I look at the caches in GSAK, I can see the logs of previous finders on each cache page as I select it. However, when I export caches to a Cachemate file, there are no logs in them. When I first started using GSAK/CM the logs were there, and though I don't think I've changed anything, they're not there now. I have changed the dialog box in the Export Cachemate File popup window (before the file is generated) to 1 log, 10 logs, and numbers in between, but when I sync the files onto my Palm, there are no logs.

Cheers,

Dr. B

Check the Export to CM window. Down at the bottom is a drop-down that let's you choose the number of logs. You may have it set to 0.

Cheers,

Dr. B

Just in case there is something strange going on with your database could you also try Database=>Repair/Defrag

Hello! I just bought my GPSr (Garmin 76CS) last week & was fiddling around with GSAK last night. I have a question about the cache symbols/icons. How do the symbol names correspond to the actual Mapsource symbols? I changed the symbol for geocache to geocache (I don't recall what it originally was) which should be an unopened chest. But when the cache waypoints are transferred it ends up as a bridge or something in the train section (I'm not at home so I don't remember exactly what it was.) Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff

Where do you see the symbols that confuse you, in mapsource or on the GPS?

When things "are transferred", there are three possible subjects: gsak, mapsource, and the GPS with the same number of objects. What is being transferred where?

I have changed the dialog box in the Export Cachemate File popup window (before the file is generated) to 1 log, 10 logs, and numbers in between, but when I sync the files onto my Palm, there are no logs.

Check the Export to CM window. Down at the bottom is a drop-down that let's you choose the number of logs. You may have it set to 0.

I know it's perfectly possible to be that stupid, but in this case, I wasn't.

It's both. I can export the GSAK info to Mapsource or send it directly to the GPS & the result is the same.

From what I can tell (and since I'm new to this I could be way off) in order for a geocache waypoint to be listed in the "geocache" section of my 76CS, the waypoint symbol needs to be whatever I use in the setup. Right now I have the unfound geocache symbol set as the unopened chest and the found geocache symbol set as the opened chest.

In GSAK I have it set so that a geocache that's marked as unfound gets the geocache symbol and one that's marked as found gets the geocache found symbol. But when it gets transferred to either the GPS or Mapsource, the symbol is not the chest. Is there somewhere in GSAK where I need to setup where the GSAK symbol definitions point to in the GPS or Mapsource?

It's both. I can export the GSAK info to Mapsource or send it directly to the GPS & the result is the same.

From what I can tell (and since I'm new to this I could be way off) in order for a geocache waypoint to be listed in the "geocache" section of my 76CS, the waypoint symbol needs to be whatever I use in the setup. Right now I have the unfound geocache symbol set as the unopened chest and the found geocache symbol set as the opened chest.

In GSAK I have it set so that a geocache that's marked as unfound gets the geocache symbol and one that's marked as found gets the geocache found symbol. But when it gets transferred to either the GPS or Mapsource, the symbol is not the chest. Is there somewhere in GSAK where I need to setup where the GSAK symbol definitions point to in the GPS or Mapsource?

This really sounds strange. I am not aware of any 60cs/76cs user that has reported this type of problem, so I suspect it is something in your set up. However, from what you describe, I can't see anything obviously wrong.

From the main menu could you please take the option "Help=>Send debug info to Clyde". Could you then please email me the tracking number, together with a screen shot of the GPS send dialog just before you send waypoints to your GPS.

Thx

Clyde

There happens to be a cache around here called : ) (actually no space between the : and the ), but I don't want the forum software to change it in to a smiley). Of course neither the : or the ) will export to the GPS, sooooooo I get no waypoint for it. Would be nice to get a warning/prompt to override the caculated smart name when I try to send it to the GPS.

I finally got to this. If any of you are in areas where identically named caches or caches with names that cannot be represented in your garmin like this smiley situation, I have a GPSBabel build for you. Mail me for a copy _after_ you've saved the gpsbabel.exe that GSAK squirrels away for you.

If you're interested, you can read how I spend my evenings.

Edited by robertlipe

I have changed the dialog box in the Export Cachemate File popup window (before the file is generated) to 1 log, 10 logs, and numbers in between, but when I sync the files onto my Palm, there are no logs.

I wasn't trying to imply stupidity, but sometimes the most obvious is the answer.

My apologies if this has been asked before. I couldn't find it if it has.

I have started generating my MapSend and Cachemate Waypoit ID's using smart tags ( %typ1$con1%drop2 ) and that works great. Is there a way to display this in the GSAK main screen also? I don't want to override the GC code field, I'd just like to be able to see it there.

Thanks.

HW

My apologies if this has been asked before. I couldn't find it if it has.

I have started generating my MapSend and Cachemate Waypoit ID's using smart tags ( %typ1$con1%drop2 ) and that works great. Is there a way to display this in the GSAK main screen also? I don't want to override the GC code field, I'd just like to be able to see it there.

Thanks.

HW

Can do: Tools/Options/Display then toggle on Smart Names. It should be down at the bottom of the list. You can also add or remove other columns from here.

My apologies if this has been asked before.  I couldn't find it if it has.

I have started generating my MapSend and Cachemate Waypoit ID's using smart tags ( %typ1$con1%drop2 ) and that works great.  Is there a way to display this in the GSAK main screen also?  I don't want to override the GC code field, I'd just like to be able to see it there.

Thanks.

HW

Can do: Tools/Options/Display then toggle on Smart Names. It should be down at the bottom of the list. You can also add or remove other columns from here.

Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't get it (unless I missed something- entirely possible). I don't want to see the generated Smart Name, I want to see the code I generate using Smart Tags when I do my MapSend and CacheMate exports. I tried doing an override, but it doesn't like my putting Smart Tags in the Smart Name override. I can see where recursive Smart Tags could be, shall we say, problematic.

I've done it know. I just don't know what it is. I have been sending 515 caches to my gps. It always says that is more than my gps can handle. I had set it up in GSAK for 500. Never has been a problem. This morning, I changed from %code to %drop2. Sent it to my gps and some were 4 code and some were 6letter code. I deleted all the points in my gps and changed it back to %code and resent everything to the gps. GSAK says it is sending 515 waypoints but when I check the gps(Legend), there are only 15 waypoints. I changed it to send only 500 and tried again. Still only getting 15 waypoints. What have I screwed up now?

Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't get it (unless I missed something- entirely possible).  I don't want to see the generated Smart Name, I want to see the code I generate using Smart Tags when I do my MapSend and CacheMate exports.  I tried doing an override, but it doesn't like my putting Smart Tags in the Smart Name override.  I can see where recursive Smart Tags could be, shall we say, problematic.

I see. I may not be making the best suggestion here (because I don't use either smart names or special tags that much) but it looks to me that if you export your database to a gpxfile using special tags for the waypoint name, and then reimport it (perhaps into a new database) you may get something like you want. Would that do it?

If not, somebody who knows more than I do about this will chime in soon.

Edited by embra

I wasn't trying to imply stupidity, but sometimes the most obvious is the answer.

I should've put a smiley on my post, sorry about that! :D

(I did explain in my original post (quoted above) that I had set the number of logs I wanted to numbers other than zero.)

I have started generating my MapSend and Cachemate Waypoit ID's using smart tags ( %typ1$con1%drop2 ) and that works great.  Is there a way to display this in the GSAK main screen also?  I don't want to override the GC code field, I'd just like to be able to see it there.

Thanks.

HW

Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't get it (unless I missed something- entirely possible). I don't want to see the generated Smart Name, I want to see the code I generate using Smart Tags when I do my MapSend and CacheMate exports. I tried doing an override, but it doesn't like my putting Smart Tags in the Smart Name override. I can see where recursive Smart Tags could be, shall we say, problematic.

You can't display this in grid view.

One work around is as Embra suggested above, however I suspect you don't want to have to keep exporting to GPX and importing just to see the result of you tags.

Another work around is to use the split screen display. You can only view one waypoint at a time, but at least you don't have to perform any database gymnastics.

To do this, Tools=>Options=>Html

In the "Waypoint description for HTML view" (default is %name by %by (%dif/%ter) for your situation change this to something like:

%name by %by (%dif/%ter) wpt=%typ1%con1%drop2

Thanks.

HW

You can't display this in grid view.

One work around is as Embra suggested above, however I suspect you don't want to have to keep exporting to GPX and importing just to see the result of you tags.

Another work around is to use the split screen display. You can only view one waypoint at a time, but at least you don't have to perform any database gymnastics.

To do this, Tools=>Options=>Html

In the "Waypoint description for HTML view" (default is %name by %by (%dif/%ter) for your situation change this to something like:

%name by %by (%dif/%ter) wpt=%typ1%con1%drop2

Thanks, ClydE. I kinda figured that. Perhaps a future enhancement would to be able to use smart tags in the User Data field?

But I took your suggestion and modified the description line in the HTML.

Thanks for the suggestion.

HW

I've done it know. I just don't know what it is. I have been sending 515 caches to my gps. It always says that is more than my gps can handle. I had set it up in GSAK for 500. Never has been a problem. This morning, I changed from %code to %drop2. Sent it to my gps and some were 4 code and some were 6letter code. I deleted all the points in my gps and changed it back to %code and resent everything to the gps. GSAK says it is sending 515 waypoints but when I check the gps(Legend), there are only 15 waypoints. I changed it to send only 500 and tried again. Still only getting 15 waypoints. What have I screwed up now?

I suspect when looking at you Legend 'Find Waypoints' you are selecting 'Nearest'. On my Legend selecting 'Nearest' also only displays about 15 waypoints.

Try selecting 'By Name' - you should see a soft keyboard at the bottom of the screen - navigate to the 'OK' button and select it. Now you should be able to scroll through all the waypoints on yor Legend.