Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Speaking of macros, what would be kind of neat is if there were a place we could go and look at some macros that do certain things. Maybe someone has made a macro to do whatever, they could then send it to someplace so that everyone else that might want to do this could use it as well. Kind of like a data base of macros? I think this would be very benificial to everyone. What do you all think?

There was a thread on automation a few months ago, but with the expanded capability a new one would be in order.

Edited by embra
I am trying to move just a few waypoints from one data base to another. When I select 'Database->Move/Copy Waypoints...' it moves all of them. Is there a way to move just a few?

When you take the move/copy option it only moves/copies the current subset.

So just set a filter to narrow down the waypoints you want to move/copy

If you just have a few individual waypoints that you are having trouble working out what filter to set:

1. Clear all user flags

2. Set the user flag for the invidual waypoints you want to move/copy

3. Set a filter for "User flag = set"

4. Database=>Move/Copy to move/copy just these selected waypoints

I been having problems occassionally.

Part of it is that I only have one com port available for my Palm and MeriGold gpsr to share. Plug in/plug out... switch cables.. plug in the other. A real pain in the a**. I have to refresh that com port everytime I do this. Sometimes I do a hard reboot when it does not take.

I've had to do the same thing. What I did was get a serial extension cord so I didn't have to mess around the back of the machine every time. It extends on to my desk, making it easy to switch cables. (Then I switched to USB hotsync cable and don't do the dance anymore, but the extension cord is still in place.)

I've also seen serial switches, allowing you to flip a switch to change which cable is 'active'.

I'm looking to be able to drop superfluous words from the beginning of the cache name (like "A", "An" or "The") when setting up the HTML output indexes. I end up with dozens of caches clumped together due to the name starting with "the" in my name index. Is this possible?

I'm looking to be able to drop superfluous words from the beginning of the cache name (like "A", "An" or "The") when setting up the HTML output indexes. I end up with dozens of caches clumped together due to the name starting with "the" in my name index. Is this possible?

I would also be happy of this feature if it existed.

Not exactly, but try this work around.

When generating the HTML enter %smart in the "Waypoint code" box

Now take a look at the "code" index. You will find it sorts waypoints alphabetically, but having superfluous words (like "A", "An" or "The") removed.

I'm looking to be able to drop superfluous words from the beginning of the cache name (like "A", "An" or "The") when setting up the HTML output indexes.  I end up with dozens of caches clumped together due to the name starting with "the" in my name index.  Is this possible?

Not exactly, but try this work around.

When generating the HTML enter %smart in the "Waypoint code" box

Now take a look at the "code" index. You will find it sorts waypoints alphabetically, but having superfluous words (like "A", "An" or "The") removed.

But then I lose my GC-code waypoint index. :D

Thanks for the work-around suggestion, but I'll just cross my fingers and hope you'll concider including this option in a future release.

Thanks for a nice piece of software, though!

How does one convert the waypoint name back to the GCXXXXX code? I'm deciding if I like having the caches being saved as names, or as GCXXXX codes.

edit - Nevermind. I realized I could delete the geocache waypoints from my GPSr, and then resend them using %code as the waypoint name.

Edited by royta
As I was slogging my way through figuring out how to move a waypoint from one GSAK db to another, my first inclination (yes, I *do* use the mouse on occasion, contrary to my prior comments/requests) was to right-click the waypoint in question with the expectation to see a "Move Waypoint..." dialog, something along the lines of "Move waypoint to another DB".

Any chance of something like this happening? 

If not, no biggie, hence low importance. 

Thanks!

I will look at adding this option in the next release of GSAK.

However, as a work around if this is something you do often, I suggest you make up a macro for it then add a macro button to the tool bar. The macro would go something like:

Thanks Clyde.

As I said, it's a low priority thing.

I don't do it that often - have moved a total of 3 to this point, but will look into the macro bit. I primarily offered it up as a possible usability enhancement for people who DO move a lot of waypoints. Plus, it kinda made sense, but I can already see the logistics behind it.

Not if you use %smart %code (or any other nice combination). :(

Sorry, but it still indexes it alphabetically by the %smart, and NOT by the %code.

If I am in a group caching some people may have waypoints in their GPS as the GC code, and other as the cache name. It is nice to be able to flip open the Palm and get an sorted index by either method.

It's not a critical feature...it would just be nice to have.

Not if you use %smart %code (or any other nice combination). :(

Sorry, but it still indexes it alphabetically by the %smart, and NOT by the %code.

If I am in a group caching some people may have waypoints in their GPS as the GC code, and other as the cache name. It is nice to be able to flip open the Palm and get an sorted index by either method.

Yep, I can see this and will look at adding that feature in a future major release (not the maintance releases)

For now then, the only work around for you whould be to do the HTML generation twice (once using %code and once using %smart) then copy both sets of HTML down to the PDA. Yea, I know it would be a pain to swap back and forth between the two sets of indexes but at least it could be done as GSAK stands now.

Yes! CacheMate has this option. Just open it up and you can sort either way, go back and forth on the fly or what ever. And GSAK can even export a cachemate file! :blink:

Not if you use %smart %code (or any other nice combination). :blink:

Yep, I can see this and will look at adding that feature in a future major release (not the maintance releases)

For now then, the only work around for you whould be to do the HTML generation twice (once using %code and once using %smart) then copy both sets of HTML down to the PDA. Yea, I know it would be a pain to swap back and forth between the two sets of indexes but at least it could be done as GSAK stands now.

Thanks for looking into this Clyde!

Not sure what to search for so will ask -

If one installs GSAK on a desktop and laptop and the desktop is set-up as like, what files does one transfer to the laptop to make it the same?

You can do this via the backup/restore options in GSAK

If you just want the settings synchronized (this includes filters, views, icons, and sticky dialog settings) then only check the "Save GSAK settings" box on the backup dialog.

If you also want all your waypoint data synchronized then check every database in the backup dialog as well as the "Save GSAK settings"

Once you have done the backup, take the generated zip file over to your destination computer and select File=>Restore

GSAK, MapSource, and GPX – setting the record straight

Mapsource 6.5 supports GPX files and there have been some reports about problems/errors when trying to load the GPX files generated by GSAK

I am happy to report that Garmin did admit there was a problem with their import routine in the beta version of 6.5. It would puke on valid GPX files generated by GSAK (and some other sources for that matter) This has now been fixed (I’m told) with the public/non beta release of 6.5

However, the “GSAK Slave” is not totally without blame here. When you currently generate a GPX file for MapSource (or any other program for that matter), be sure to uncheck the box “include GSAK extra fields in export”. This option generates data which is specific to GSAK only, and can cause errors when loading into other programs. To prevent these problems I will move the GSAK specific data into its own “name space” in the XML schema, then it shouldn’t really matter what options you take, it won’t “bomb” out the target program. (Hey, you in the corner “Mr Lipe”, did I just hear you say “told you so!”)

I never envisaged users checking this box for anything other than GSAK, but I guess that is no excuse to potentially generate GPX files that could “trip up” other programs.

To prevent these problems I will move the GSAK specific data into its own “name space” in the XML schema, then it shouldn’t really matter what options you take, it won’t “bomb” out the target program. (Hey, you in the corner “Mr Lipe”, did I just hear you say “told you so!”)

[ grins smugly ]

Yep. That's why I make the big bucks... <_<

That said, it's no secret that .mps has been a huge pain in my butt and .gdb has been enough worse that I've pretty much refused to touch it. I *welcome* a Mapsource that reads and writes a standardized, documented, open file format. And if it makes us all walk a slightly tighter rope on that standard (yes, I made a change in GPSBabel's GPX 1.1 handling for Mapsource) I think that's a much better thing than us all spending hours reverse engineering the .mps or .gdb mutant of the week.

And a pat on the back to Magellan who keeps producing Mapsends that actually match thier published formats. Notice how DirectRoute and Topo 3D users didn't have problems the day they were released?

In the help menu under Misc. Features there is mention of the Change Icons dialog box. How can I access that? I have run through all the buttons with out sucess.

When you send waypoins to your GPS (or export to MapSource, MapSend, Memory Map, and Delorme) you will see a button with the caption of "Change"

Just click on that button.

I just wanted to report back on my OziExplorer adventure. I downloaded and installed Ozi and then opened TOPO and took screen shots of the level 2 maps of Utah. Then I merged all of the screen shots into one big .tiff image. I then loaded and calibrated the map image into Ozi. Then I set the double click option in GSAK to "show Ozi map".

Now when I am wondering where a cache is located, I doubleclick on it and the Ozi map comes up and shows me where the cache is. Pretty slick !!

Thanks for a great program and timely responses to questions.

You can do the same thing easier with USAPhotomaps, as long as you have an internet connection. It imports the .gpx file, and displays the caches on topo maps or aerial photos, your choice, switchable the the press of a key, and completely zoomable. No need for all the extra work. It only works for the USA, though, but the last I heard Utah was still in the Union. B)

You can do the same thing easier with USAPhotomaps, as long as you have an internet connection. It imports the .gpx file, and displays the caches on topo maps or aerial photos, your choice, switchable the the press of a key, and completely zoomable. No need for all the extra work. It only works for the USA, though, but the last I heard Utah was still in the Union. B)

We obiously are not talking about the same thing.

I have USAPhoto Maps. It is a great program for looking at color aerial photos of urban areas. It will not take my gpx file with all 3200 of the caches in Utah. The import file size is limited to 1mb, my gpx file is 16mb. Even if it did, if I double clicked on a cache in GSAK, will USAPhoto Maps open up and show me the location of the cache? I don't think so.

On the other hand ExpertGps will take my file and show the location on either an aerial or topo, but only if I export a gpx file from GSAK and then open it in Expert GPS and then go and find the cache I am interested in.

With the process I described in the post above, if I see a cache in GSAK and want to know where in the Great State of Utah it is located, I simply double click on the cache and I see it on the map displayed in OziExplorer.

You can do the same thing easier with USAPhotomaps, as long as you have an internet connection.  It imports the .gpx file, and displays the caches on topo maps or aerial photos, your choice, switchable the the press of a key, and completely zoomable.  No need for all the extra work.  It only works for the USA, though, but the last I heard Utah was still in the Union.  B)

We obiously are not talking about the same thing.

I have USAPhoto Maps. It is a great program for looking at color aerial photos of urban areas. It will not take my gpx file with all 3200 of the caches in Utah. The import file size is limited to 1mb, my gpx file is 16mb. Even if it did, if I double clicked on a cache in GSAK, will USAPhoto Maps open up and show me the location of the cache? I don't think so.

On the other hand ExpertGps will take my file and show the location on either an aerial or topo, but only if I export a gpx file from GSAK and then open it in Expert GPS and then go and find the cache I am interested in.

With the process I described in the post above, if I see a cache in GSAK and want to know where in the Great State of Utah it is located, I simply double click on the cache and I see it on the map displayed in OziExplorer.

If your mapping program supports loading of a GPX file you can also get a similar function out of GSAK

Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and take a look at the "Run program" box (click on help for more information)

Basically, this will let you right mouse click on the cache and run your selected program passing the GPX file to it (or any of the other special tags for that matter).

Edited by ClydeE

I'm using GSAK 5.0.3 B17 (Registered Copy) and the Export HTML / Unfound Caches page isn't working for me. Using the default options and a database of 400 caches, the Unfound Caches HTML index shows only about 12 unfound caches, several of which I have found and are marked as found in the GSAK database. The problem seems to be the HTML page called _2Unfound.htm

Any ideas Clyde ?

I'm using GSAK 5.0.3 B17 (Registered Copy) and the Export HTML / Unfound Caches page isn't working for me. Using the default options and a database of 400 caches, the Unfound Caches HTML index shows only about 12 unfound caches, several of which I have found and are marked as found in the GSAK database. The problem seems to be the HTML page called _2Unfound.htm

Any ideas Clyde ?

The unfound HTML listing is supposed to be a list of caches that have not been found by anyone - not just you.

This is usually a good way to see if you can be a FTF for any of these.

However, GSAK interrogates the logs to work out if the cache has been found or not. So if your database does not have any found logs for a particular cache it will appear on this list. This requires that you are populating your GSAK data base with GPX files from gc.com

Now, are there any caches on this list that do in fact have found logs in your GSAK database? If so then contact me by private email and I will get you to send me your database so I can interrogate and track down what the problem is.

edited: fixed bozo typing mistakes

Edited by ClydeE
Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and take a look at the "Run program" box (click on help for more information)

Clyde,

What an AWESOME feature. Just tried it with ExpertGPS and it works like a dream. Is there a way to send more than one (let's say three) without filtering/exporting or is the right click trick only good for one at a time?

Clyde,

What an AWESOME feature. Just tried it with ExpertGPS and it works like a dream. Is there a way to send more than one (let's say three) without filtering/exporting or is the right click trick only good for one at a time?

When I try this I get an error that says "program not found"

This is what my program says : ExpertGPS=C:\program files\ExpertGPS\ExpertGPS.exe;%gpx

What does yours say?

Clyde,

The right click menu only allows for one at a time (it can only action on the cache your are right clicking on)

However, as usual there is often a work around the achieve the end result.

If you want more than one cache, then you do the filter, export, and call up ExpertGPS via a macro (see the "RUNPGM" command in the macro language)

Again, if this is something you do often, just add the a macro button to the tool bar and you are only a mouse click away from loading multiple waypoints into ExpertGPS

When I try this I get an error that says "program not found"

This is what my program says :

ExpertGPS=C:\program files\ExpertGPS\ExpertGPS.exe;%gpx

What does yours say?

Cool! This is what worked for me:

ExpertGPS=D:\Maps\ExpertGPS\ExpertGPS.exe;"%gpx"

Looks like the quotes make the difference.

When I try this I get an error  that says "program not found"

This is what my program says :

ExpertGPS=C:\program files\ExpertGPS\ExpertGPS.exe;%gpx

What does yours say?

Cool! This is what worked for me:

ExpertGPS=D:\Maps\ExpertGPS\ExpertGPS.exe;"%gpx"

Looks like the quotes make the difference.

Hey,

Sure is a cool program

If you want more than one cache, then you do the filter, export, and call up ExpertGPS via a macro (see the "RUNPGM" command in the macro language)

Again, if this is something you do often, just add the a macro button to the tool bar and you are only a mouse click away from loading multiple waypoints into ExpertGPS

OK, this had finally pushed me to write my first macro, albeit a simple one. What is the proper language to use in the "parameters" field to open the export in ExpertGPS? I'm able to filter, export and open the app, but the resulting export isn't passed to it. I'm sure that is set in the parameters, but am unaware of the correct sytax to make to happen.

Thanks in advance.

OK, this had finally pushed me to write my first macro, albeit a simple one. What is the proper language to use in the "parameters" field to open the export in ExpertGPS? I'm able to filter, export and open the app, but the resulting export isn't passed to it. I'm sure that is set in the parameters, but am unaware of the correct sytax to make to happen.

Thanks in advance.

Sample macro template:

#macro to filter, export, then open ExpertGPS

FILTER name="My filter"

EXPORT type=GPX settings="ExpertGPS"

RUNPGM pgm="c:\program files\ExpertGps\ExpertGps.exe" parms="c:\some folder\ExpertGps.gpx"

The parms= should contain the fully qualified path to the file generated in the EXPORT command (surrounded by double quotes)

Clyde,

I've always, from the beginning, loved working with GSAK - it's such a splendid tool - and it's THE only tool that I use today.

With 1 Macro button I load up 2 GPX files (traditional caches and other caches) because there's a limit of 500 WP's from the pocket queries in geocaching.com.

That same macro copies the notfound caches within a radius of 75km into a new DB, then it copies my personal other WP's into that same DB, exports to ozi, mapsource, tomtom and creates html files.

Just 1 click !!! fabulous.

Just 2 questions: Mapsource as of version 6 uses a new file layout .gdb extension. while it can still open .mps files of course.. is there a chance getting the export to mapsource created in the new format .gdb ?

and second question: as I export html files, I always have all cache descriptions with me on the PDA (in a 75km radius as set by the filter).. the only problem is that sometimes caches require pictures to be recognized... these I can't find on the offline html files.. is there a possibility ?

Thanks and keep on the good developments..

JeepeeS / Jean-Paul (registered GSAK user)

I'm not Clyde, obviously, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

When GPSBabel supports the new file format, then GSAK will. In the meantime, just use the old format, and the new Mapsource will open the files with no problems.

There is no chance of pictures, because .gpx is a text format, and so the pictures aren't sent in the pocket queries, thus they're not available to GSAK or any other program. The only way to get pictures is to go to each cache page individually and copy the pictures. Same thing with maps. Nothing comes with the pocket queries except text. The other images, such as stars, etc are stock and stored locally, and put into the text files as needed. If images were sent in pocket queries, they wouldn't be accepted by any email server, because they would be in the tens of megabytes in size.

NightPilot, pretty much sums up the situation on both questions.

Just some additional information on the MapSource GDB format:

Garmin won't publish the file format for GDB, so it makes it very hard to generate this format. Worse still, every version of Mapsource that supports GDB so far has a DIFFERENT version of GDB support. Not only are the rules changing, but we were never given a copy of the rules in the first place. :rolleyes:

So I really can't see this format being supported any time soon.

Edited by ClydeE

Ok Thanks for the replies NightPilot and Clyde.

No Problem today for the mps format, and for the Pictures, I understand I have to save them by downloading/saving them locally (can even be done from within GSAK if connected to the Internet though and in the "split view" screen)

When I transfer my cache names to the GPS from the GASK program all the letters in my Garmin GPS V are capitalized. I do not have the block checked in the window "Force all data sent to the GPS to be Uppercase".

I use the %smart tag which is shorten to 7 characters because I all want to also see %dif1a %ter1a and %typ1. As this eliminates spaces between words and all letters are capitalized, some names are difficult to read as they all run together.

I have checked the setup of my GPS V and cannot find a setting where I am forcing them to be uppercase. What am I doing wrong?

While posting this I feel compelled to tell Clyde what a superior program that he has created. The deeper I get involved in the features that he has created I can tell he has devoted himself to this program. I must say "Job Well Done".

You are much appreciated.

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. To my knowledge, all Garmin units force waypoint name to be uppercase. If you mark a waypoint in your unit manually, you should see the shift key greyed out, indicating it is not available for use on that screen.

Hmm...I think I've found a bug.

When I run this macro:

#Macro to open mini-export in ExpertGPS

#load filter of selected items

FILTER name="selected caches only"

#export .gpx file

EXPORT Type=gpx="c:\documents and settings\owner\desktop\tempexport"

#run ExpertGPS

RUNPGM pgm="c:\program files\expertgps\expertgps.exe" parms="c:\Documents and Settings\owner\desktop\tempexport.gpx"

the .gpx file is NOT generated with the "tempexport" name, but rather the name that I used when I last manually exported a .gpx file by using File-->Export-->GPX/LOC. Because of this, my macro fails because it can't find the specified file (because it was generated with the wrong name).

**UPDATE**

I went ahead and manually changed the sticky name in the manual export box to the same name that I want my macro to generate. This works around the previous name problem, but I then get the message "C:\Documents was not found" Is the space in the folder name causing me additional problems or am I missing something obvious here?

Edited by gnbrotz
**UPDATE**

I went ahead and manually changed the sticky name in the manual export box to the same name that I want my macro to generate. This works around the previous name problem, but I then get the message "C:\Documents was not found" Is the space in the folder name causing me additional problems or am I missing something obvious here?

The main problem with your macro is the syntax for the following command

EXPORT Type=gpx="c:\documents and settings\owner\desktop\tempexport"

Please see the help file for more information (and my macro template in the previous post here , but it should be something like:

EXPORT Type=gpx settings="ExpertGPS"

Where settings="ExpertGPS" are the dialog settings you saved under the name of "ExpertGPS" which has all the options you want for this export, including the qualified path to the GPX file.

To set up saved settings:

1. Open the GPX export dialog (File=>Export=>Gpx/Loc)

2. Change all the options to suit this export for ExpertGps

3. Click on the "save" button and enter the name "ExpertGps"

Got all of that changed (thanks!). Still getting the "C:\Documents was not found" message with this macro:

EXPORT Type=gpx Settings="ExpertGPS"

RUNPGM pgm="c:\program files\expertgps\expertgps.exe" parms="C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\tempexport.gpx"

BUT, if I change the export/open target to just "c:\tempexport.gpx" everything works fine now, so I'm still suspicious that the spaces in the original file path are problematic.

Any more thoughts (other than leaving the new target as is)? I really would like to use my original location. :rolleyes:

Edited by gnbrotz
Got all of that changed (thanks!).  Still getting the "C:\Documents was not found" message with this macro:

EXPORT Type=gpx Settings="ExpertGPS"

RUNPGM pgm="c:\program files\expertgps\expertgps.exe" parms="C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\tempexport.gpx"

BUT, if I change the export/open target to just "c:\tempexport.gpx" everything works fine now, so I'm still suspicious that the spaces in the original file path are problematic.

Any more thoughts (other than leaving the new target as is)?  I really would like to use my original location. :rolleyes:

It would seem that parms being surrounded by double quotes is not being seen by ExpertGPS as one pararmater but rather serveral paramaters separated by a space. (hence the error message)

I think maybe the control that does the call is stripping out the double quotes when it passes to paramter to ExpertGPX. I will check this out and see what I can find.

In the mean time the work around would be to create a batch file (.bat) with the single command:

"c:\program files\expertgps\expertgps.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\tempexport.gpx"

Then change your RUNPGM macro to call up this BAT file without the parms= token

Edited by ClydeE

Not really a bug, but rather a lack of a feature. There happens to be a cache around here called : ) (actually no space between the : and the ), but I don't want the forum software to change it in to a smiley). Of course neither the : or the ) will export to the GPS, sooooooo I get no waypoint for it. Would be nice to get a warning/prompt to override the caculated smart name when I try to send it to the GPS.