Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Cool, so you could add .gpx files to the folder and gsak would add them to your database the next time you updated it!

Thanks alot for your help.

DC

You don't have to process the .gpx files at all. Process the zip file it comes in and GSAK will take the zip apart on its own.

Hi Clyde,

Is it possible to display the name of the last person to make a found/dnf/note comment in the column view? I had a look in the View->Add/Delete columns dialog but could not find it there. I know it is available in the html view, but then I would need to click on each cache listing and scroll down.

I have noticed what I think is a bug with the new Memory-Map export. When I leave the settings as they are the waypoints are imported into Memory-Map using the dot icon and the category "Geocache". Shouldn't it, by default, be using the anchor as stated in the export options?

When I change the export options so that the icon for unfound caches is a flag the category is also changed to be "Flag".

I was wondering if a better way would be to have the category name independant of the icon name.

Sorry, I don't have memory map so my knowledge of this product is limited.

When beta testing this export none of the testers mentioned "category". GSAK is not aware of any "category"

Perhaps a current memory map user may be able to help here, as I really don't know if this is a problem or just your interpretaiton of how it is working.

Is it possible to display the name of the last person to make a found/dnf/note comment in the column view? I had a look in the View->Add/Delete columns dialog but could not find it there. I know it is available in the html view, but then I would need to click on each cache listing and scroll down.

No, this is not a column you can display.

However, to make it easier to see in the split screen HTML view change your "split screen format" to "log summary". This way you will be able to immediately see the last log without having to scroll down the split screen to get to the logs.

When beta testing this export none of the  testers mentioned "category". GSAK is not aware of any "category"

An example line from the CSV that GSAK produces:

WP04,51.269983,-1.522833,10,"One for the girls!!! by The Scooby snacks (1/1)","GCD3E7 You need to go in the churchyard but it is just outside the yard.","http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a94b5eae-797d-4b7c-bdd9-c49c06348183",0.0, 1, "GCD3E7",1,1,"Flag",0

And here is the CSV import schema from the Memory Map help file:

WP04,Lat,Lon,Symbol,Name,Comment,File,Radius,Display,Unique,Visible,Locked,Category,Circle

Symbol is an integer indicating the symbol type. Experiment with exporting some samples to get the values. -1 means use the icon of the linked file.

Category is the category for the mark. Objects are organized by category in the Overlay Properties dialog

I am using Memory Map 4.3.1

Issue 1: When I do an export from GSAK with the symbol for an unfound (or any status / cache type) set to Flag then GASK produces a CSV file with the Symbol set to 10, which is correct for a flag, and the Category set to "Flag". I propose that either the category is "Geocaching" or is in some way user defined from within GSAK rather than defaulting to being the same as the Symbol text.

Issue 2: When I do an export from GSAK without having defined the icons first then the Symbol is null and the Category is "Geocaching". This occurs even though GSAK says the symbol will be Anchor. The user has to explicitly go into the change symbols dialogue and set each symbol to "Anchor" in order for the export to have Symbol set to 6. This, as I see it, is unexpected as it looks, to the user, as if the symbol will be an Anchor.

I hope this clarifies my issues with the software. I will be registering it shortly as I really do like the program (and the dollar is really weak against the pound) :D

Regards,

Dan.

Is it possible to get clickable icons in Mapsource?

By clickable icons, I suspect you mean the ability to call up the associated URL when you click on the icon?

I think this is available with the new gdb format MapSource files, but this format is proving to be a bit of a headache to convert (Specifications are either non existent or erroneous)

So in answer to your question - Via GSAK, currently no.

Yes, GDB offers that ability. Garmin won't publish the file format and every version of Mapsource that supports GDB so far has a DIFFERENT version of GDB support.

Beta Mapsource that can read GPX files may prove more gratifying in that regard. (It's definitely more gratifying in my world since it's an open file format and Garmin can't endlessly tinker with it to ensure incompatibilities.)

I don't know if the new betas can write data to GPX as well or if it continues to hold your data hostage in a closed file format.

For some odd reason, when I load the PQ's, the caches that I own or have found are not being updated. My finds have not been updtaed since 12/26 and my cahces have not been updated since 12/29. All the rest of the caches in the PQ's are being updated. Any ideas?? This did not happen until recently.

For some odd reason, when I load the PQ's, the caches that I own or have found are not being updated. My finds have not been updtaed since 12/26 and my cahces have not been updated since 12/29. All the rest of the caches in the PQ's are being updated. Any ideas?? This did not happen until recently.

Hmm, strange.

Please email me a screen shot of the GPX load dialog - I might be able to pick up something obvious from that.

Clyde I think I have something that hasn't been addressed yet.

As I was going through my main database, sorting for unfound caches, by clicking on the column 'last found' I noted that GSAK doesn't recognize event caches 'attended' as being 'found' and as such leaves that space blank. I created a filter that only shows events and the results were all the caches that use the new 'attended' radio button show as unfound and those that use the old found show as found.

It seems it is just a matter of GC.com being a bit ahead of you. That doesn't happen to often.

Is this something that could be addressed in one of the future updates.

Thanks again for all you hard work and dedication to us,

MedicP1

As I was going through my main database, sorting for unfound caches, by clicking on the column 'last found' I noted that GSAK doesn't recognize event caches 'attended' as being 'found' and as such leaves that space blank. I created a filter that only shows events and the results were all the caches that use the new 'attended' radio button show as unfound and those that use the old found show as found.

It seems it is just a matter of GC.com being a bit ahead of you. That doesn't happen to often.

GSAK currently compares a log type of "Attended" as found.

Has this changed?

Perhaps I'm not comparing this to the correct log description exactly

However, could you also check to see if your "found by me" dates are being populated (for any cache you have found) automatically on GPX load - if not then you have a matching problem. Please send me your GSAK.ini file so I can get to the bottom of it.

If your "found by me" dates are being populated, then yes it would apper GSAK has a bug in the way it handles the "Attended" log. In that case could you please send me a GPX file of a cache you have attended (plus your GSAK.ini file) so I can track down what the problem is

Thanks

Clyde

What is the easiest way to clear a subset and show all caches in the database?

If your preference is via the keyboard then use the Escape key (Esc)

If you are a mouse user then click on red X tool button as per below

tool1.png

Edited by ClydeE
Yes, GDB offers that ability.  Garmin won't publish the file format and every version of Mapsource that supports GDB so far has a DIFFERENT version of GDB support. 

Beta Mapsource that can read GPX files may prove more gratifying in that regard.  (It's definitely more gratifying in my world since it's an open file format and Garmin can't endlessly tinker with it to ensure incompatibilities.) 

I don't know if the new betas can write data to GPX as well or if it continues to hold your data hostage in a closed file format.

Mapsource version 6.5.0 writes GPX.

I have made these two files for comparisation.

- Have filtered on my caches in GSAK, exported to Mapsource and

saved as GPX to: mapsource-gpx.

-Also did a direct export to GPX in GSAK; gsak-gpx.

The complete gpx-file from Mapsource containing just one of the caches

looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="MapSource 6.5.0 Beta" version="1.1">

<metadata>
   <link href="http://www.garmin.com">
     <text>Garmin International</text>
   </link>
   <time>2005-01-03T09:59:06Z</time>
   <bounds maxlat="59.699950" maxlon="8.109600" minlat="59.699950" minlon="8.109600"/>
 </metadata>

<wpt lat="59.699950" lon="8.109600">
   <ele>0.000000</ele>
   <name>Roadbuilde</name>
   <cmt>The Roadbuilder by hbrx (15/1) (1/1)</cmt>
   <desc>The Roadbuilder by hbrx (15/1) (1/1)</desc>
   <sym>Geocache Found</sym>
 </wpt>

</gpx>

Mapsource will not import the GPX made by GSAK, but gobbles up the ones

from gc.com, complete with the weblink.

This might as well be a bit OT, but I am not active on the Babel-list so...

(it might even have been posted there already)

hbrx.

Mapsource will not import the GPX made by GSAK, but gobbles up the ones

from gc.com, complete with the weblink.

This might as well be a bit OT, but I am not active on the Babel-list so...

(it might even have been posted there already)

Not exactly true. There are some GPX files generated by GSAK that won't import. We are trying to track down the reason for this but so far have come up empty, and are still not certain if this is a GSAK or Garmin problem.

You will find a discussion on this very topic starting about here

Edited by ClydeE
I remember seeing this, but can't find it now. How do you change the view of the offline database. Thanks for a great program.

If you are talking about adding and removing columns then Tools=>Options=>Display.

Don't forget you can also change the widths of the columns and move them about in any order to suit your needs. Finally when you have the required columns the way you want them you can save this view (View=>Save current view) and give it a name. You then select the view via "View=>Select a view" or the drop down box on the search bar.

You may want to set up several views for different situations or databases, then you can swap your current view at any time.

GSAK currently compares a log type of "Attended" as found.

Has this changed?

Perhaps I'm not comparing this to the correct log description exactly

However, could you also check to see if your "found by me" dates are being populated (for any cache you have found) automatically on GPX load - if not then you have a matching problem. Please send me your GSAK.ini file so I can get to the bottom of it.

If your "found by me" dates are being populated, then yes it would apper GSAK has a bug in the way it handles the "Attended" log. In that case could you please send me a GPX file of a cache you have attended (plus your GSAK.ini file) so I can track down what the problem is

Thanks

Clyde

768ff2f8-12a2-4b51-a64d-1f47bc3284d4.jpg

The "Found By Me" is OK for the "Events" I have attended. It is just the "Last Found" column that is not showing anything and thereby GSAK is treating it as an unfound (by anyone) cache, even though as you can see from the picture the event was attended and logged by others.

The "Found By Me" is OK for the "Events" I have attended. It is just the "Last Found" column that is not showing anything and thereby GSAK is treating it as an unfound (by anyone) cache, even though as you can see from the picture the event was attended and logged by others.

I handle this by simply excluding event caches from my "not found" filters.

Search>Filter>Other, uncheck "Event", click "Save" and give the filter a name. I also uncheck "CITO" and "Locationless", since they are the other unusual cache types that I'm not interested in when searching for caches that have not been found.

Ok, I see it now.

Will fix in the next maintenace release (out soon)

I would like to see the hint on my Garmin 60cs - I've read the FAQ's as mentioned on the third page of this thread and see that I need to add the special tag in the "cache description format"... Where in the world is the "cache description format"? Feeling a little stupid here - would appreciate a quick "cache description 101 lesson". Thanks, Shelly

I would like to see the hint on my Garmin 60cs - I've read the FAQ's as mentioned on the third page of this thread and see that I need to add the special tag in the "cache description format"... Where in the world is the "cache description format"? Feeling a little stupid here - would appreciate a quick "cache description 101 lesson". Thanks, Shelly

It's under the 'Send Waypoints to GPS' option - put your %tag in the 'Waypoint description format' box.

There's a lot of info on tags in the GSAK help file.

Am I dreaming, or is the area for the description in the 60cs too small to be of much use unless the hint is really small?

Yes, unfortunately the description/comments in the 60C is limited to 30 characters (much to the dismay of many 60C users)

Edited by ClydeE

I am wondering if there is anything in the works to link GSAK with a mapping program so we could click on a cache and have it show up on a map. I realize that is probably a big stretch, but just had to ask.

I presently use TOPO! and export my data base into TOPO! which works great. Hoping to maybe eliminate a few steps .

By the way, I love all of the features in GSAK and think you have done a superb job in putting together an awesome tool for cachers.

I am wondering if there is anything in the works to link GSAK with a mapping program so we could click on a cache and have it show up on a map. 

Right click on a cache and choose "custom URL" - click on any of several mapping sites and voila, your wish is fulfilled! You can add your own custom URL's if you have other preferred mapping sites, by going to Tools>Options>HTML and adding a URL under custom URL's.

If you use this function often (I do), you can assign a mapping site to the double click funciton, so that it opens a map displaying the cache whenever you double click on a cache. Go to Tools>Options>General and change the drop down under "Default action when you double click on a waypoint name".

I own NG Topo!, Mapsource, and Map Tech Terrain Navigator, but find this is the most efficient way to quickly check the location of a single cache I'm interested in (I export to one of my mapping programs if I'm looking at multiple caches)!

Edited by Kai Team
if you use this function often (I do), you can assign a mapping site to the double click funciton, so that it opens a map displaying the cache whenever you double click on a cache.  Go to Tools>Options>General and change the drop down under "Default action when you double click on a waypoint name".

Good point.

You may also have more than one URL you like to use often, but find the right click=>custom URL path a bit cumbersome?

Tool buttons come to the rescue. Don't forget you can add tool buttons for just the URLs you like to use. Right click on the tool bar, then select "Customize tool buttons" then scroll down to the "Custom URLs". Now just drag the URL buttons you want to use on to the tool/speed bar.

Edited by ClydeE

What an amazing program. :D:D

Is there a way to have the location show on the aerial photo maps at Microsoft Terra Server? It shows on the other maps like Topo and Mapquest.

I hate to use ExpertGPS and GSAK in the same sentence because GSAK does so much more. The map capabilities of ExpertGPS are what I am missing in GSAK. Any hope for something similiar in GSAK?

Not wanting to appear as greedy, you have done a great job. Just wondering.

I hate to use ExpertGPS and GSAK in the same sentence because GSAK does so much more.  The map capabilities of ExpertGPS are what I am missing in GSAK.  Any hope for something similiar in GSAK?

Not wanting to appear as greedy,  you have done a great job.  Just wondering.

I decided a while ago to leave dedicated mapping out of GSAK. It is a specialized area and there are more than enough programs already competing in this arena. GSAK already interfaces with many of these - especially well with OziExplorer.

Perhaps one day when I have put everything else into GSAK that is "on the list" (this won't be any day soon :D ) I will revisit this decision - but for now my time is better spent adding geocaching specific features to GSAK which aren't being done in the mapping programs.

Edited by ClydeE

I just ran my first pocket query and had it emailed to me. I am working on XP and know to drag it into GSAK instead of trying to open. How do you do this? I clicked and held on the attachment and tried to drag it and nothing happened. I clicked on the attachment and it came up with a box that said do you want to open this file. I said yes and it took me to a page with with a folder on it. I tried clicking and holding and dragging this into GSAK and where my mouse is shows a circle with a line through it and will not drop anything into GSAK. How do I drag this into GSAK? Thanks.

the language lawyer in me wonders if DaVIDe and Clyde are talking past each other.

DeVIDe, if you don't care WHICH program is doing the display of the terraserver images, would you be OK with GSAK building a linky link to terraserver-usa.com and popping them open in your web browser just like geocaching.com does for individual cache pages? If it dosn't do that "out of the box" I suspect it's pretty easy to provide the URL templates to do that.

...and far wiser than trying to make GSAK a mapping program itself, IMO. :-)

Sorry to butt in on a thread that seems to be for experts with GSAK but I could really do with some help please.

I've just got a GPS to PC lead for Xmas and have downloaded GSAK but can;t get the GPS and PC to "talk" to each other. Been on all the help pages but still no luck.

Be really grateful for some help.

Thanks Kevin

I hate to use ExpertGPS and GSAK in the same sentence because GSAK does so much more.  The map capabilities of ExpertGPS are what I am missing in GSAK.  Any hope for something similiar in GSAK?

Not wanting to appear as greedy,  you have done a great job.  Just wondering.

I decided a while ago to leave dedicated mapping out of GSAK. It is a specialized area and there are more than enough programs already competing in this arena. GSAK already interfaces with many of these - especially well with OziExplorer.

Perhaps one day when I have put everything else into GSAK that is "on the list" (this won't be any day soon :D ) I will revisit this decision - but for now my time is better spent adding geocaching specific features to GSAK which aren't being done in the mapping programs.

Thanks for your reply, I will check out OziExplorer.

the language lawyer in me wonders if DaVIDe and Clyde are talking past each other. 

DeVIDe, if you don't care WHICH program is doing the display of the terraserver images, would you be OK with GSAK building a linky link to terraserver-usa.com and popping them open in your web browser just like geocaching.com does for individual cache pages?  If it dosn't do that "out of the box" I suspect it's pretty easy to provide the URL templates to do that.

...and far wiser than trying to make GSAK a mapping program itself, IMO. :-)

Thanks for your insight. A link to terraserver.com which would pop up and show the cache location on an aerial photo would be fantastic. However even the link from GC.COM doesn't show the cache location on the aerial photo.

Edited by DeViDe

I hope I am now wearing out my welcome here :D , but I am just getting into GSAK and realizing what a powerful tool it is.

I have 3200 caches in my database(all of Utah), when I drag the scroll button on the left of the screen to the bottom of the bar it moves to the bottom of the list. When I move up one tick it moves somewhere close to the middle of the list . Any body else notice this?

Thanks again for your help.

Dewayne

I have 3200 caches in my database(all of Utah), when I drag the scroll button on the left of the screen to the bottom of the bar it moves to the bottom of the list. When I move up one tick it moves somewhere close to the middle of the list . Any body else notice this?

If memory serves correctly, Clyde has acknowledged that the scrollbar control in his software Erector set is a bit squirrley. I think what you observed falls into that type of behavior. We're living with it.

As far as your Terraserver request, are you talking about something other that what you get when you right-click on the waypoint and select custom url/Microsoft Terra Server? I think this is an out-of-the-box solution that Robert referenced. (I may be recalling wrong, in which case we can tell you how to add it).

I've just got a GPS to PC lead for Xmas and have downloaded GSAK but can;t get the GPS and PC to "talk" to each other. Been on all the help pages but still no luck.

Kevin, when asking a question about how to get your GPS to work, it's often useful to let us know what type of GPS you have.

On one hand, the first thing I thought of is that you have Magellan, and have not set the baud rate correctly, a common error.

On the other hand, if you didn't already have the PC cable, it means there is a good likelihood that you own a Garmin eTrex.

Or maybe you have neither a Magellan or Garmin, in which case GSAK probably won't work for your GPS.

Perhaps, I'll guess, do you have a hot-sync cradle for your palm hooked up?

Jamie

I been having problems occassionally.

Part of it is that I only have one com port available for my Palm and MeriGold gpsr to share. Plug in/plug out... switch cables.. plug in the other. A real pain in the a**. I have to refresh that com port everytime I do this. Sometimes I do a hard reboot when it does not take.

soooo.. maybe you have to do the cable dance like I do???

As far as your Terraserver request, are you talking about something other that what you get when you right-click on the waypoint and select custom url/Microsoft Terra Server?  I think this is an out-of-the-box solution that Robert referenced.  (I may be recalling wrong, in which case we can tell you how to add it).

Thanks for you input.

When I take the custom url to terraserver the terraserver window opens, but the cache location is not marked on the aerial photo. What I am wondering is it possible to have the location marked on the aerial photo? I certainly understand if what I am asking is not available, just wondering what the options are.

Yet Another Feature Request

Synopsis: Easier way of moving waypoint(s) to another DB

Importance: Low

Niftyness: Medium

As I was slogging my way through figuring out how to move a waypoint from one GSAK db to another, my first inclination (yes, I *do* use the mouse on occasion, contrary to my prior comments/requests) was to right-click the waypoint in question with the expectation to see a "Move Waypoint..." dialog, something along the lines of "Move waypoint to another DB".

Any chance of something like this happening?

The way it is now works, but it's a bit non-intuitive and involves many user steps: Filter to waypoint, user-mark it, then click Database (not Waypoint!), then Move, then... etc.

If not, no biggie, hence low importance.

Thanks!

I received a pocket query with 300 waypoints in my email. I dragged and dropped this file into GSAK. Everything looks great here. If you look at my screen in GSAK, all 300 are listed there. I don't know if it is one big file with 300 waypoints in it or 300 different files. With all 300 listed, I went to export and and clicked Cashemate. I got a screen entitled Export Cachemate PDB File. It already had a name in the box for file to create. It also already had a name in the box that says Select From Most Recent. I left everything the same except the box for Limit number of logs to export. I changed it to 10 since I am still using the free version of cachemate. I then clicked generate at the bottom and got a box that said this file already exists. Do I want to replace? I click yes. It generates the file and gives me a box that says CmConvert: 1 waypoint coverted finish okay. I clicked oakay. I then hotsynched and when I open cachemate on my palm, I get a box that says at the top, Select Import Category. Below that it says File/Database. Below that the word Home. Below that Database/Default. Below that Category/ Unfiled. I renamed that Not found. Below that All new records from the named file will be created under the selected category. I click okay. Then it reads Import data was successfully merged with the main cachemate database. I click okay. The only waypoint that is listed is the last one in my list of 300 on GSAK. What am I doing wrong?

When I take the custom url to terraserver the terraserver window opens, but the cache location is not marked on the aerial photo. What I am wondering is it possible to have the location marked on the aerial photo? I certainly understand if what I am asking is not available, just wondering what the options are.

Aaaah, that's a rather different question. Looking at

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/about.asp...AboutLinktoHtml I don't see a way to plunk a marker/pin onto the generated map.

Marky's site does use the terraserver imagery and does insert pins. I don't know if he found a way to build linky links directly or if he's using the web services API thingy or if he's getting the image and layering hte marker on himself. I'm wagering it'd be easy to build map links straight to his front end at http://www.yvanovich.com/terraserver/ using the example URLs given on his site.

As I was slogging my way through figuring out how to move a waypoint from one GSAK db to another, my first inclination (yes, I *do* use the mouse on occasion, contrary to my prior comments/requests) was to right-click the waypoint in question with the expectation to see a "Move Waypoint..." dialog, something along the lines of "Move waypoint to another DB".

Any chance of something like this happening? 

The way it is now works, but it's a bit non-intuitive and involves many user steps:  Filter to waypoint, user-mark it, then click Database (not Waypoint!), then Move, then... etc. 

If not, no biggie, hence low importance. 

Thanks!

I will look at adding this option in the next release of GSAK.

However, as a work around if this is something you do often, I suggest you make up a macro for it then add a macro button to the tool bar. The macro would go something like:

# move a single waypoint

USERFLAG type=clear range=all

USERFLAG type=set range=1

FILTER Name="User flag = set"

MOVECOPY settings="required setting for single waypoint move/copy"

CANCELFILTER

Now the move/copy of a waypoint is only one mouse click away

Edited by ClydeE

Speaking of macros, what would be kind of neat is if there were a place we could go and look at some macros that do certain things. Maybe someone has made a macro to do whatever, they could then send it to someplace so that everyone else that might want to do this could use it as well. Kind of like a data base of macros? I think this would be very benificial to everyone. What do you all think?

LthrWrk, you may have only one physical serial port, but you can have several virtual ports. Try putting the GPS on Com 3, which uses the same physical port, but uses software to separate them. You'll still have to change the physical plugs, but it should help with the other interference. If you can find a 'y' serial cable, you should be able to keep both plugged in at the same time, and use Com1 for one and Com3 for the other. Admittedly XP can do strange things, but it should work, and used to work on a DOS machine. You can't use both at the same time, but you can use them at different times with no interference.