Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

GSAK version 5 is now ready to download.

Major changes this release:

Custom Tool bar - Add/Remove/ buttons on the tool bar (also change their position)

Custom Search bar - Select, Move, Size, controls on the search bar

New "settings" option added to all export dialogs.

New "settings" option added to GPX load dialog

Macro language can now control all options for the Export and Load dialogs

New macro commands

New special tags

Database changes to make saving of icons and corrected coordinates more robust

Support for Delorme Topo USA, Street Atlas Plus (Including shipped and custom icons)

Support for Memory Map (Including shipped and custom icons)

Major overhaul of GSAK generated HTML to fix mal formed pages and better support PDA "non graphics" formats

Icon overrides - override icons for "micro" cache type and others like GPX spinner

Ability to Move/Copy waypoints between databases (Database=>Move/Copy Waypoints...)

Ability to purge logs from your database (Database=>Purge Logs...)

New uncluttered default tool bar (but customize the way you want it)

Automatic check for newer version of GSAK (May need firewall authorization if you have firewall software installed)

There are also many other changes (For example, check out the new "cache density" HTML report to plan your next "cache raid"), which you can view here http://gsak.net/help/hs1060.htm

Download from the GSAK web site here http://gsak.net

Cheers

Clyde

Thanks for more stuff that rocks!

ETA: Is Quest support coming anytime soon?

I recall that one of our fellow geocachers was sending his (quest or 2610?) to Robert Lipe, for some testing and analysis before Christmas. I will keep you informed if there is any progress on this.

even better than before clyde - thanks!

Any chance of the date filters having the option of -7 (as previously requested :rolleyes: so that i can see all caches logged in the past 7 days for example?

Also, any chance of the default button being "ok" in the dialog box that pops up when you drag and drop a file into gsak? That means i can drag the file and then just hit return, rather than having to move my mouse to the ok box.

Any chance of the date filters having the option of -7 (as previously requested :rolleyes: so that i can see all caches logged in the past 7 days for example?

As requested, this feature was added back in 4.2.0 ;)

Take a look at the "During" and "Not During" options.

Edited by ClydeE

Just became a registered owner. I've used it free for so long I finally figured out it was well worth the price.

When I dl'd v5.0 I got a message saying 5.0.1.10 was available, but I don't see it on the web page. Am I missing something?

Edited by SeventhSon
Just became a registered owner. I've used it free for so long I finally figured out it was well worth the price.

When I dl'd v5.0 I got a message saying 5.0.1.10 was available, but I don't see it on the web page. Am I missing something?

Sounds like your browser or ISP is caching the old page. Hold down your shift key and click on the refresh button.

Clyde,

The export format button for gpx/loc won't submit to being moved from the dialog box up to the toolbar.  Every other button I wished to use complied.

Any suggestions?

Hmm, are you getting the "no go" cursor (circle with a line through it) when you try to drag this button?

This happens if the button is already on the tool bar ;):rolleyes:

Edited by ClydeE
ETA:  Is Quest support coming anytime soon?

I recall that one of our fellow geocachers was sending his (quest or 2610?) to Robert Lipe, for some testing and analysis before Christmas. I will keep you informed if there is any progress on this.

It was a 2610 that the user was going to send me. (I can't recall if he offered this publicly, so I won't name him here.) This may or may not improve life for users of Quest. Experience has proven that adding support for model X of a Garmin doesn't necessarily have anything to do with model Y of a Garmin even if you suspect that models X and Y probably share common DNA.

I'll reiterate my offer to Quest users:

A) if someone wants it badly enough to loan me a unit for the time it takes to do the code, I'll code it and return it. (This is how the original Garmin support was developed, how the Mac/USB support was developed, etc.)

B ) If enough people want to make a directed donation to buy one for the project, I'll pick one up, add the code, and be sure that it works in all future releases.

C) If someone with a Quest wants to do the work, contribute it to the project (it IS open source - I don't have to do all the development myself) and help with the maintenance/support of it, I'll gladly work with them to include it.

In fantasy land, I'd love to have the time and budget to support everything. $30 USB adapters and $40 mapping programs come easier than the high-end receivers. (And those come a lot easier now that GSAK is helping to foot the bill.) In the end, it depends on someone wanting it badly enough to help make it happen.

In fantasy land, I'd love to have the time and budget to support everything.    $30 USB adapters and $40 mapping programs come easier than the high-end receivers.  (And those come a lot easier now that GSAK is helping to foot the bill.)  In the end, it depends on someone wanting it badly enough to help make it happen.

Indeed... though, it's something if the hardware is even available to you in the first place. Case in point with what I'm working on. Their hardware is only sold in Europe, so far, which makes life difficult for a US-based developer.

If someone with a Quest wants to do the work, contribute it to the project (it IS open source - I don't have to do all the development myself) and help with the maintenance/support of it, I'll gladly work with them to include it.

How much technical knowledge is requred on the part of a Quest-owning volunteer in order to accomplish this task?

Leave it to me to have some oddball problem.

I updated to 5 and exported to PDB, sync'd it to cachemat and now the Cache Name shows in teh Waypoint side as well. In the description part of Cachemate it is OK, however in the list view it is names in waypoints as well which means I can not search by wayppint.

Everything is the way it was on the last sync and the only thing in the tag are on the export is %code.

I know at first glance it looks like a Cachemat issue, however it did not do this until I upgraded. I even wiped out the Cachemate DB and reloaded it.

Edited by baloo&bd
Leave it to me to have some oddball problem.

I updated to 5 and exported to PDB, sync'd it to cachemat and now the Cache Name shows in teh Waypoint side as well. In the description part of Cachemate it is OK, however in the list view it is names in waypoints as well which means I can not search by wayppint.

Everything is the way it was on the last sync and the only thing in the tag are on the export is %code.

I know at first glance it looks like a Cachemat issue, however it did not do this until I upgraded. I even wiped out the Cachemate DB and reloaded it.

Sorry, I don't have cachemate so I won't be much help on this unless we can pin it down to something GSAK specific.

Any other CacheMate users have this problem?

Any other CacheMate users have any idea would could be the problem?

A funny situation ;)

If the name of the filter contains an accentuated letter (éàè...), it cannot be deleted :)

Sample "99 BE Liege" -> delete Ok

but "99 BE Liège" -> Cannot be deleted

Sorry for this specific french users problem B)

That does it. I'm getting out my globe and scratching out most of Europe. Problem fixed. B)

Ok, kidding - I will check this out and send you a fix (hopefuly) to try out.

Any chance of the date filters having the option of -7 (as previously requested B) so that i can see all caches logged in the past 7 days for example?

As requested, this feature was added back in 4.2.0 ;)

Take a look at the "During" and "Not During" options.

doh! didn't use the drop down box.

Clyde - thats amazing. thanks....

ok - now i've fiddled with some more and the last log NOT duringby doesn't seem to work - the DURINGby works, but not the not.

last log during 5 days shows all logs since the 11/12.

however selecting NOT during, would have given me UP to the 11th? instead i just get 11-15

I want to use this as a primitive feature to work out which caches are likely to have been archived

ok - now i've fiddled with some more and the last log NOT duringby doesn't seem to work - the DURINGby works, but not the not.

however selecting NOT during, would have given me UP to the 11th? instead i just get 11-15

I want to use this as a primitive feature to work out which caches are likely to have been archived

Yep, thats a bug in the "NOT during" all right. Can't believe no one has picked this up before now B)

I also found some little bugs.

I'm not quite convinced B)

you can't paste text in code-search or name-search fields anymore

Hmm, I can on the 3 computers I have here. Are you sure you have something in the clipboard? Anyone else observe this?

and shutting down gsak takes much longer than in 4.22

No it doesn't. However, I suspect you have the automatic backup option set. If you have added databases or increased the size of your databases the backup will of course take longer. If this is a problem then you can either disable the automatic backup (Tools=>Options=>General) or perhaps just change the frequency.

Edited by ClydeE

I'm not quite convinced B)

Hmm, I can on the 3 computers I have here. Are you sure you have something in the clipboard? Anyone else observe this?

No it doesn't. However, I suspect you have the automatic backup option set. If you have added databases or increased the size of your databases the backup will of course take longer. If this is a problem then you can either disable the automatic backup (Tools=>Options=>General) or perhaps just change the frequency.

ah, I see, I can paste text using ctrl-v but I can't using my right mouse button, as I could before...

As far as shutting down, I don't have the auto backup option set. I'll check on it tomorrow (it's 0:23 in .NL) on another compouter and let you know if it's just my imagination ;-)

cheers, Marcel.

Clyde, 5.0 is great.  I've gotten a big kick out of the cache density feature.  My question, as a registered owner, I downloaded 5.0, and then today I get notified that there is an update 5.0.1.  Is there truely any difference, or is this just registered user vs. non-registered?

Yes, there is a difference, all be it only a few bug fixes. To see the changes refer to the version history.

I would normally wait a few days to a week to pump out the first maintenance release, but the "crash" when moving waypoints to another database was a nasty one, so I thought I better correct it quickly.

I wanted users to see the new "automatic" version notification at work and that is why there was no email notification sent out.

HTH

Edited by ClydeE
Can GSAK grab 20 GPX files and merge them all at once into one larger GPX? This is as opposed to opening merging them one at a time.

Watcher can do this but it seems to stop when you grab 10 or so files to merge. The old version of GSAK seemed to only let you grab one file at a time.

Yes, Just place all your GPX files into the one folder, than tell GSAK to load the folder rather than a single file. (this worked in previous versions also)

However what is new in version 5 is support for more than 1 GPX file inside a zip file. Another words, you can tell GSAK to load a zip file and it will load all the GPX and LOC files it finds inside this zip file.

Hey Clyde, thanks for 5.0. Of course I started using it right away.

Anybody: While doing some exploring in 5.0, I turned split screen back on which I hadn't used in a while. What I stretched the screen a little, all I am getting is logs (happy faces, dates and by username). I am not getting the offline view I asked for in 'tools'. 'general' I had been looking in OZI when clicking waypoints. What do I have set wrong?

Anybody: While doing some exploring in 5.0, I turned split screen back on which I hadn't used in a while. What I stretched the screen a little, all I am getting is logs (happy faces, dates and by username). I am not getting the offline view I asked for in 'tools'. 'general' I had been looking in OZI when clicking waypoints. What do I have set wrong?

There is a drop-down box just below the toolbar that is labled "Split-screen format." It sounds like you have it set to "Full logs only." Change that setting to what you want.

Anybody:  While doing some exploring in 5.0, I turned split screen back on which I hadn't used in a while.  What I stretched the screen a little, all I am getting is logs (happy faces, dates and by username).  I am not getting the offline view I asked for in 'tools'.  'general'  I had been looking in OZI when clicking waypoints.  What do I have set wrong?

There is a drop-down box just below the toolbar that is labled "Split-screen format." It sounds like you have it set to "Full logs only." Change that setting to what you want.

DUH, whoop, there it is, whoop, there it is. Thanks.......Those are THE handiest boxes. I use the database and filter ones all the time, didn't see the one next door. Thanks a bunch, I looked all over the help and didn't find it.

Yep, thats a bug in the "NOT during" all right. Can't believe no one has picked this up before now :cool:

probably because the option was hidden :-)

I can confirm it works and with the option of "available", "updated not during last 3 months" and "last log not during last 3 months" I've got a query showing me all likely caches that are either really difficult or archived. Then click on the online listing within the split view and then a toggle archive status, the cache disappears from the query and my database is updated with current caches.

Thanks clyde....now to trawl through the 149 likely candidates.

It was a 2610 that the user was going to send me. (I can't recall if he offered this publicly, so I won't name him here.)

That would be me and I believe I did mention it in the now closed 4.x.x thread. Now that Survivor is over I have a free hour tonight so I'll load the TN maps and pack it up and ship tomorrow.

I updated to 5 and exported to PDB, sync'd it to cachemat and now the Cache Name shows in teh Waypoint side as well.

Are you talking about when you display the list of caches? I exported some caches into cachemate from GSAK to try and duplicate the problem but I don't think I can.

In the primary list that shows when you load cachemate I first see the name of the cache. If I click on the "Wpt" sort option I see the list of GCXXXX waypoints which is what I would expect to see.

Under list options I have extra info set to None and all of the other items on that dialog checked. How do you have cachemate configured?

Enhancement suggestion :

When clicking the colums to sort by that category, the list then displays from the first record in that column - even if a record has been highlighted. Can GSAK be modified so that if a particular record is highlighted and the column header clicked to sort, the selected record is still visible in the same relative position?

I don't know if this has ever been requested before and the current method of operation is preferred, but if so, could it be a configurable option?

Thanks.

Enhancement suggestion :

When clicking the colums to sort by that category, the list then displays from the first record in that column - even if a record has been highlighted. Can GSAK be modified so that if a particular record is highlighted and the column header clicked to sort, the selected record is still visible in the same relative position?

I don't know if this has ever been requested before and the current method of operation is preferred, but if so, could it be a configurable option?

Thanks.

This is the default behaviour, but it is an option you can configure now.

Tools=>Otpions=>General, then uncheck the box "Move to first waypoint after column sequence change"

Under list options I have extra info set to None and all of the other items on that dialog checked. How do you have cachemate configured?

OK, this led me to check the list options in CacheMate and found that the Display Waypoint Name had somehow become unchecked. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I think the code is one of the more useless features of gc.com, but if you like it, that's how to get it.

I agree that the codes are not descriptive howeve they match what is loaded in my GPS V. Loading smartnames just takes up too much real estate in the GPS. I also use Mapsource when out in the field and have the codes set up to give me the vitals which includes the GCXXXX code (sans the GC), anything else just gets to busy on the maps.

Having said all this, i am always looking for better ways so am open to hear how others have their exports to Maps and GPSr's set-up.

Tools/options/general:

"Move to first waypoint after column sequence change".

It's probably checked.  Uncheck it and see if that's what you want.  B)

This is the default behaviour, but it is an option you can configure now.

Tools=>Otpions=>General, then uncheck the box "Move to first waypoint after column sequence change"

I knew I should have looked harder :cool:

Thanks.

I'm not quite convinced :cool:

ah, I see, I can paste text using ctrl-v but I can't using my right mouse button, as I could before...

As far as shutting down, I don't have the auto backup option set. I'll check on it tomorrow (it's 0:23 in .NL) on another compouter and let you know if it's just my imagination ;-)

cheers, Marcel.

I've excluded GSAK.INI from virus-scanning by F-Secure. Shutdown now takes place in 0 seconds instead of 5. (as does closing the options window)

Not a bug in GSAK and problem solved ;-)

greetings, Marcel.

Personally, I think the code is one of the more useless features of gc.com, but if you like it, that's how to get it.

I agree that the codes are not descriptive howeve they match what is loaded in my GPS V. Loading smartnames just takes up too much real estate in the GPS. I also use Mapsource when out in the field and have the codes set up to give me the vitals which includes the GCXXXX code (sans the GC), anything else just gets to busy on the maps.

Having said all this, i am always looking for better ways so am open to hear how others have their exports to Maps and GPSr's set-up.

Personnally, I like the %drop2 option which just gives the last 4 digits of the GCXXXX code. I also add %typ1, which provides a single letter code for the type of cache (virt, trad, multi, mystery), so I type %drop2%typ1.

Personnally, I like the %drop2 option which just gives the last 4 digits of the GCXXXX code. I also add %typ1, which provides a single letter code for the type of cache (virt, trad, multi, mystery), so I type %drop2%typ1.

I am doing something similar;

%drop2%con1%typ1%dif1%ter1%bug%notGC%code

but only for my exports to Mapsource.

For the PDA I just use the %code.

I've excluded GSAK.INI from virus-scanning by F-Secure. Shutdown now takes place in 0 seconds instead of 5. (as does closing the options window)

Not a bug in GSAK and problem solved ;-)

Great tip :D:o:lol:

I always had wondered why the exit of the configuration screen was longer than most (it updates a lot of stuff in gsak.ini) I turned off virus scanning for this file and now it is much quicker.

You learn something new every day :o