Location question

Guest stickandpuck

Guest ClayJar

I've got a landowner who has become quite taken with geocaching. We're going to walk his land and find a really great spot to put a cache. As long as the owner is supporting the cache placement, it's not a problem, but make sure to keep in touch with the landowner. If they decide that they no longer want the cache there, you want to be very prompt in archiving and removing it, since it being there is their business.

Guest bob_renner

I would suggest that in your cache report you mention that it is on private property and with the permission of the owner. Also ask that people looking for the cache observe signs (if any) of adjacent property owners.

Bob

Guest brokenwing

Shelly,

Welcome! It's always good to have more D/FW area Geocachers! The thing to remember is that geocachers sometimes don't do things the easy way. What I'm saying is, be sure to give coordinates to an acceptable parking place as well, Otherwise folks will be coming at it from all directions, some of which your father, or his neighbors might not want.

As far as local caches, my opinion is that urban caches are sometimes more challenging, since the owners have to be quite creative. There are some really neat caches in the area and they will take you to places you might not have known existed.

We'd be interested in any caches you place, either locally, or in the piney woods. We live in Fort Worth, but, like you have family in East Texas. By the way, we are also thinking about putting a cache in East Texas, but ours will likely be on US Forest Service land.

Again, welcome, and get out there and have some fun!

brokenwing

Guest Markwell

I would also think that your father wouldn't want people just trapsing onto the land from anywhere. I might suggest you get a blown up version of the Geocaching Four Square logo and print it in color on a full page and get it laminated. That sign could then be placed on a post near the front entrance of his driveway (for example) as a code that

1. Geocachers are on the right property (and are welcome)
  2. Enter here, not anywhere else
  3. Park here and walk the rest of the way

Also, you need to be aware that Geocachers can come ANY time, bidden or unbidden. With that in mind, he could have one sign that has the logo that he leaves up all the time. There could be a day, for example, a huge family reunion on the farm and doesn't want Geocachers coming on that particular day. On those days and for that short time, he might put up a sign with the Geocaching logo with a "no" sign. Then I would mention in your cache page that if the "no Geocaching" sign is up - they should try again another time (and that it's not that your father hates Geocaching).

Just my 2¢

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 03 August 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Some good ideas here, for sure. When I and my friend go out and plant a cache on his land, we'll definitely make a note of the two possible parking places (which you choose depends on whether you have a high tolerance for a very substandard driveway -- it doesn't require a hummer, but I wouldn't drive my car there just to avoid an extra quarter mile).

I've hunted a couple caches on private land (placed by the various landowners), and the descriptions always made sure to note that you didn't have to cross any fences (and not to disturb the cows, etc). Of course, any restrictions can be offset by the fact that the landowner can do whatever they want to when placing the cache. My friend even considered submerging the cache in the little stream behind his land... no boat required, but your feet would have to get wet. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

Some good ideas here, for sure. When I and my friend go out and plant a cache on his land, we'll definitely make a note of the two possible parking places (which you choose depends on whether you have a high tolerance for a very substandard driveway -- it doesn't require a hummer, but I wouldn't drive my car there just to avoid an extra quarter mile).

I've hunted a couple caches on private land (placed by the various landowners), and the descriptions always made sure to note that you didn't have to cross any fences (and not to disturb the cows, etc). Of course, any restrictions can be offset by the fact that the landowner can do whatever they want to when placing the cache. My friend even considered submerging the cache in the little stream behind his land... no boat required, but your feet would have to get wet. icon_smile.gif

Guest stickandpuck

Thanks for all of the suggestions - I'm sure I will be using most of them. I told my dad that if any problems arise, we can just remove the cache. I just thought it would be a good place for our first since we can hide it any way we want to and he goes out there at least once a week so he can keep a close eye on it. He's pretty excited about learning about all of this as well.

Tomorrow we go on our first adventure out to find some of the local caches. If all goes well, I'm hoping to start our first one within the next couple of weeks if not sooner.

Thanks again!

Shelly