Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigredmed

Qrp

Anyone use portable QRP while out geocaching?

I recently bought a 40 meter pixie 2, and I was wondering what kind of antennas people had good luck with.

40 meters portable is pretty tough. Any man-transportable antenna is not going to be very efficient--and with QRP antenna efficiency is everything.

I have used a kite to support a 33' 3" wire. It is cumbersome for hiking, but worked okay while camping.

You could always go the slingshot into a tree route. I have used this mthod to put up light weight dipoles for camping also.

I don't know of anything that is more portable than these, for 40 meters....

Dave_W6DPS

I'm a 40 mtr CW fan but QRP while geocaching? I guess perhaps if I hiked to a good sized hill.

Steve

N9BGH

Wow, that brings back some good memories...I used to have an old Yuesu FT-7 and a 40 meter loaded whip. I clamped the whip onto the railing in a second-floor apartment and worked the western states with 5 watts. That was my first experience with Ham radio and I always enjoyed that band!

In my opinion, it seems like too much work. If your Geocaching the radio may get in the way of the real job at hand. If your hiking on groomed trails that may be a different story. If I were to setup a portable (hiking) QRP station I'd attach a hamstick to a aluminum framed pack. That way the antenna is always at about the highest point, and you don't have to hold it. <_<

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I should have clarified my idea. From Geocaching, I have found several places where with a good hike, you can get to some great locales that would offer a sheltered spot to run the radio with long streches of unincumbered space for good low angle take offs. There is a pedestrian bridge the crosses the Platte by South Bend. From the bridge about 15 feet above the river, the river stretches about a mile downstream before turning east, and goes about 2 miles before turning more WNW. The river is about 500 yards wide at that point, and there is another 500 yards or more of river valley before any hills. I was thinking that that place would make a good location for a river wire antenna, but the technical aspects of that kind of antenna experiment are beyond me now. I would think that the bridge might be a good location for a slinky dipole or some other center fed dipole that could be stretched between PVC or crappie poles connected to the bridge by clamps.

There is a rec area north of town where I have a geocache and this location would be a great place to radio from as there are trees sheltering the location, so as long as the precipitation was not a factor, the site would be a cool one for a QRP session.

Any thoughts on a semi-portable antenna? Am I just having a pleasant fantasy?

bigredmed,

i've actually been couting the same idea. i'm brand spanking new to geocaching (just got my first GPSr this morning), but thought it might lend itself to day hikes where i could engage in both activities.

please post if you give it a go.

Not at the same time, but last summer I went camping several times and did some geocaching part of the time and QRP operating the rest of the time. I always take my QRP gear with me camping. I have a 20m MFJ-9020 and my newest a RockMite 20 which puts out a whopping 500 mW. I plan to do the same again this coming summer.

I'd like some input on this idea. I have been toying with the idea of making a small 40 meter QRP transmitter into a travel bug and asking that it be passed from ham to ham. When another ham grabs this bug he/she would e-mail me and set up a sked then we would work each other using the TB. It would have to be cheap since it would likely disappear at some point and I would be thrilled if it made it to just a few hams before going MIA. If a non-ham grabbed it, it would work just like a regular TB. I would assume that if a ham grabbed it they would already have an antenna, key, power supply, etc. for getting this to work OK. I may pick up a cheap QRP xmiter kit at the next hamfest.

Good idea? Dumb idea? Has this been done before? ????

I'd like some input on this idea. I have been toying with the idea of making a small 40 meter QRP transmitter into a travel bug and asking that it be passed from ham to ham. When another ham grabs this bug he/she would e-mail me and set up a sked then we would work each other using the TB. It would have to be cheap since it would likely disappear at some point and I would be thrilled if it made it to just a few hams before going MIA. If a non-ham grabbed it, it would work just like a regular TB. I would assume that if a ham grabbed it they would already have an antenna, key, power supply, etc. for getting this to work OK. I may pick up a cheap QRP xmiter kit at the next hamfest.

Good idea? Dumb idea? Has this been done before? ????

I have never heard of it being done before. It might be a bit cumbersome when you think about attaching antennas and keyers. It will also be expensive no matter how you cut it.

I would definitely look for it.

A cool way of getting some 40 meter DX would be to send it to one of the international cache exchange caches in some non-North American location (Germany and Spain both have them, and there is also one in Holland or Belgium--can't remember which now, Divine set it up.)

Another alternative would be to set up a TB with an Echolink node number. HAM's that get it could talk to you via Echolink once they find it.

Might I suggest the use of psk-31. It requires the use of a laptop but it is far far far better when you are running QRP. I have worked the world with 5 watts output to a simple dipole.

Brad

Might I suggest the use of psk-31. It requires the use of a laptop but it is far far far better when you are running QRP. I have worked the world with 5 watts output to a simple dipole.

Brad

That would add a lot of weight.

I have seen PSK-31 at work and its interesting. I would need a 10 meter rig and right now my pixieII has a 40 meter crystal. I may get into this if I decide I want a base station.

PSK is prevelant on all bands. It works very well on 40 meters. During the day I have an average range of about 500 miles with 10 watts out on 40.

The size issue is a tough one. I am currently designing a palm pilot to run the program. The hardest part is the incorporation of a soundcard setup. I was in the office max the other day and saw that some laptops are not much bigger than a palm. Couple that witha rigblaster nomic (About 1/2 the size of a cigarette pack) you would have a killer setup.

Brad

PSK is prevelant on all bands. It works very well on 40 meters. During the day I have an average range of about 500 miles with 10 watts out on 40.

The size issue is a tough one. I am currently designing a palm pilot to run the program. The hardest part is the incorporation of a soundcard setup. I was in the office max the other day and saw that some laptops are not much bigger than a palm. Couple that witha rigblaster nomic (About 1/2 the size of a cigarette pack) you would have a killer setup.

Brad

Set up the program to run on a CF card in a card reader for an old Handspring visor, and now you have the ability to use small, old(thus cheap) PDA and type 1 CF cards) and you may be into something.

Didn't know PSK was on 40 meters. With the crystal control of the pixie II, I am not sure I can get into any other ranges of the 40 meter band other than the ORP section.