Caches On State Park Lands

klizich

:blink:

Hi,

I am also kind of new to Geocaching although I have stomped the woods in search of interesting and different things to see - historical, odd, etc.

The rules or policies of Geocaching.com allude to obtaining permits or permission to place caches on State Park land. In checking the caches in the immediate area, I find a number of them in State Park lands. I am very close to one and have an idea for a cache placement. Can anyone offer information relating to getting (or not getting) permission/permits for State Lands, and, how to address this issue in the cache placement application? (Translation: how do I get a cache listed in a State Park?) Any input appreciated.

Thanks

klizich

"Wherever you go, there'll you be! ...but don't follow me, I'm lost!

It depends on the park. I think you'll find that in your area, (others will know better) that the parks don't have a policy regarding geocaching. If the park doesn't have a policy forbidding geocaching, that would be considered "adequate permission". Some parks require a permit or at least that they be notified if a cache is placed. Such a policy should be advertised on their website. A quick email to NJ Admin will get you the info you are looking for. Or, just hang out for a minute, Briansnat should be replying any second now with all the info you'll need. :blink: In the meantime, here's a couple of links to help you with your first hide:

Ammo Cans

Lock & Lock

Cache Prep

Edited by JMBella
Briansnat should be replying any second now with all the info you'll need

A bit more than any second. I think JM gave good advice. Not much to add to that. As far as permits in NJ, none are required at this time. The state has been very geocache friendly so far. I think the super at Kittitanny State Park wants to know about caches in advance, but the others have no policy. Team Rampant Lion has a relationship (purely platonic) with the Kittitanny SP super if I recall correctly and can fill you in regarding placements in that park.

Edited by briansnat
Briansnat should be replying any second now with all the info you'll need

I think the super at Kittitanny State Park wants to know about caches in advance, but the others have no policy. Team Rampant Lion has a relationship (purely platonic) with the Kittitanny SP super if I recall correctly and can fill you in regarding placements in that park.

Briansnat is right - the Kittatinny SP Super does want advance notice and has adopted the PA approval form to use. He is responsible for the SP but also ALL of the Sussex Branch and Paulinskill Valley Trails.

Important to note: I have referred others to him for the process and he has told them that the current level of approved cache placements in the park and on the trails (n=5) represent saturation.

I am overdue to go in and demonstrate the positive impacts of geocaching on the SP to him (I placed cameras in my caches to show him pictures of our smiling faces while we cache :blink: ). I have also offered to host a CITO event at the park. We'll see what happens.

:rolleyes:

Thanks to all who replied, guess that answers my question and makes it possible to start considering a cache. Should have done this earlier - (1) had a great "in" with the park super, he retired to manage his ailing father's fortune; his replacement is sort of the northbound end of a southbound horse, so to speak., (2) used to have access to quantities of the ammo boxes, but now that they would be beneficial.......

I was thinking of getting some PVC pipe (moderate diameter), with one glue on end cap and one screw on end cap and painting it a little more subdued than white; time will tell...may just do the tupperware thing to start.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!

You have made me feel welcome.

klizich

in the words of a famous man:

"ALWAYS remember that two wrongs don't make a right...........but three do!"
I was thinking of getting some PVC pipe (moderate diameter), with one glue on end cap and one screw on end cap and painting it a little more subdued than white; time will tell...may just do the tupperware thing to start.

Unless you have the pipe material laying around, the PVC pipe container can get pretty expensive. I considered making one and priced it at Home Depot and it came out close to $20! Also, if tightened enough to stay dry they can be very hard to open and if not tightened enough, they can get soaked. Then there is the matter of people accidently finding them and reporting them as pipe bombs. So you have to be very careful where you hide them.

Check out Lock 'n Lock containers. Pathmark sells them. They work pretty well for plastic containers. Also the Rubbermaid Seal 'n Savers (with the blue rim on lid) are decent. The ones I have out have stayed nice and dry. Real Tupperware is pretty expensive and seems to fail after about a year in the wild. Almost every Tupperware cache I've found was wet. Forget about Gladware, cheap, dollar store plastic containers and Chinese food/deli containers unless you plan to visit your cache every few weeks to dry it out.

You can also pick up ammo boxes at www.cheaperthandirt.com. They sell 6 for $19, which is a pretty good deal, even considering $8 for shipping (the $8 is a flat rate so the more you buy, the cheaper they become).

Unless you have the pipe material laying around, the PVC pipe container can get pretty expensive. I considered making one and priced it at Home Depot and it came out close to $20! Also, if tightened enough to stay dry they can be very hard to open and if not tightened enough, they can get soaked. Then there is the matter of people accidently finding them and reporting them as pipe bombs. So you have to be very careful where you hide them.

Check out Lock 'n Lock containers. Pathmark sells them. They work pretty well for plastic containers. Also the Rubbermaid Seal 'n Savers (with the blue rim on lid) are decent. The ones I have out have stayed nice and dry. Real Tupperware is pretty expensive and seems to fail after about a year in the wild. Almost every Tupperware cache I've found was wet. Forget about Gladware, cheap, dollar store plastic containers and Chinese food/deli containers unless you plan to visit your cache every few weeks to dry it out.

You can also pick up ammo boxes at www.cheaperthandirt.com. They sell 6 for $19, which is a pretty good deal, even considering $8 for shipping (the $8 is a flat rate so the more you buy, the cheaper they become).

I'll second the caution about using PVC Pipe... we have one cache that uses PVC and it does get either stuck and hard to open or wet at times and we have to keep going doing maint visits to dry out the contents... but that particular cache (as anyone who has visited it can attest, you know which one I'm talking about)... wouldn't really work with any other type of container... :rolleyes:

Teflon pipe tape does help, but does not last too long with all the opening & closing...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Learn from my mistake. I had a couple of those PVC pipes out there and they ended up completely filled with water. There's been threads regarding how to keep them dry but I don't see the point. Especially since Lock & Lock makes just about every conceivable size you could ever want.

Brian, is Pathmark selling those again? I would be a very happy cacher if they did.

Learn from my mistake. I had a couple of those PVC pipes out there and they ended up completely filled with water. There's been threads regarding how to keep them dry but I don't see the point. Especially since Lock & Lock makes just about every conceivable size you could ever want.

Brian, is Pathmark selling those again? I would be a very happy cacher if they did.

I have not seen them at our local Pathmark in Gillette, NJ...

But maybe (the other) Brian could let us know which ones he's seen them in?

I have only seen them a few times and should have bought some when I did... :rolleyes:

It's not the original Lock 'n Lock brand. Its a knock-off called Lock 'n Seal, or something like that. $1.50 each and they come in several sizes and shapes. I Bought a few, checked them out and they seem to seal even tighter than Lock 'n Locks. Passed the sink test with flying colors. I have a cache in one now so we'll see how they stand up over time.

For some reason they're in their own aisle, away from the Rubbermaid. Don't know if all Pathmarks have 'em, or just the one by me. If you can't find 'em I can pick up a bunch for you. Don't know if this is a one time thing, or will be re-stocked. They're all larger size...about a quart to two quarts. None of the 1/2 cup ones.

Learn from my mistake.  I had a couple of those PVC pipes out there and they ended up completely filled with water.  There's been threads regarding how to keep them dry but I don't see the point.  Especially since Lock & Lock makes just about every conceivable size you could ever want. 

Brian, is Pathmark selling those again?  I would be a very happy cacher if they did.

It's not the original Lock 'n Lock brand. Its a knock-off called Lock 'n Seal, or something like that. $1.50 each and they come in several sizes and shapes. I Bought a few, checked them out and they seem to seal even tighter than Lock 'n Locks. Passed the sink test with flying colors. I have a cache in one now so we'll see how they stand up over time.

For some reason they're in their own aisle, away from the Rubbermaid. Don't know if all Pathmarks have 'em, or just the one by me. If you can't find 'em I can pick up a bunch for you. Don't know if this is a one time thing, or will be re-stocked. They're all larger size...about a quart to two quarts. None of the 1/2 cup ones.

I'll check it out. I've found a few different versions of knock off L&Ls. They all seem to work pretty well so far. I even found ones in the dollar section of a Waldbaums here. Same blue gasket and all. Yep, they work great and they're only a buck.

Joe pathmark in shirley has them there next to the ziplock bags,in there own end cap for a 1.50.Also the pvc pipes freeze in the winter so you can't get the tops off!