Got Geodogs?

Peconic Bay Sailors

How did you all acquire your geodogs? Was it by breeder, pet store or by family or friend who had a litter that you received you geodog?

The reason I ask, is that I am looking to see where I can get in contact with a reputable breeder here in North Jersey.

I would like to get a doggie too! :D

Edited by GeoKender
How did you all acquire your geodogs? Was it by breeder, pet store or by family or friend who had a litter that you received you geodog?

The reason I ask, is that I am looking to see where I can get in contact with a reputable breeder here in North Jersey.

My owner, Polgara, wanted a specific breed, Alaskan Malamute, for hiking and spending time on the trail and rock scrambling. I have lots of fun with Polgara, and I have enjoyed the trails and creeks we go on.

Polgara bought me from a breeder, because she wanted a specific breed, and for it to have certification on hips and eyes so I would be healthy. The breeder she bought me from, D&J Kennels, above Harrisburg, PA, advertised to be a reputable breeder of Malamutes & Huskies.

HOWEVER

THey lied about my hip & eye certification, my father was graded with fair hips, my mother was never tested. Neither were eye certified, yet their webpage states that their dogs are certified for these things.

I was also born with birth defects that were not apparent to my owner, Polgara, within the first 30 days of her owning me, so the PA puppy lemon law did not apply once Polgara realized these defects were present, including aggression and GI issues, (i require one tagumet a day).

After talking with 2 Vets, and the PA malamute rescue assosciation, Polgara was informed that D&J Kennels are a known, glorified puppy mill for huskies & malamutes, and that several people have had major problems with the dogs purchased at this kennel. The owners also boast that they breed champions, however, I've yet to know of one of their champions.

Also, D&J is listed with the Better Business Bureau...which burns Polgara's temper, big time, because thay are such a freakin fraud, and its fooling people into thinking its a reputable place.

Anyway, Polgara did not want to return me, because she did not want to release me back to such a place, so she is working with me, very patiently, through my problems, and we are having a nice time together.

If anyone in the PA area wants an Alaskan Malamute purebred, Polgara can give you the name of a reputable breeder that shows her malamutes. Steer clear of the D&J Kennels puppy mill.

Polgara's word on malamutes...people get attracted to these dogs cause they are pretty, and some people want a snow dog. That is a bad reason to buy a Malamute. I bought mine cause I owned a "pack dog" previously, and I wanted a "pack" dog that will handle rough terrain and rock scrambling, and maybe even carry some gear. I love my Malamute, but she is incredibly strong, and she challenges me, mentally, on a daily basis, cause she wants high "pack order" in my family, and these mental challenges are exhausting, and if you lose the challenge, the dog will overtake you. She also does not like children. If you don't have an extensive amount of time to put into training and exercising a Malamute, don't get one, cause it will eat everything in your house. Timber goes through at least 3 rawhides per week, and gets at least 2 miles of dog walking per day.

My owner, Polgara, wanted a specific breed, Alaskan Malamute, for hiking and spending time on the trail and rock scrambling. I have lots of fun with Polgara, and I have enjoyed the trails and creeks we go on.

Polgara bought me from a breeder, because she wanted a specific breed, and for it to have certification on hips and eyes so I would be healthy. The breeder she bought me from, D&J Kennels, above Harrisburg, PA, advertised to be a reputable breeder of Malamutes & Huskies.

HOWEVER

THey lied about my hip & eye certification, my father was graded with fair hips, my mother was never tested. Neither were eye certified, yet their webpage states that their dogs are certified for these things.

I was also born with birth defects that were not apparent to my owner, Polgara, within the first 30 days of her owning me, so the PA puppy lemon law did not apply once Polgara realized these defects were present, including aggression and GI issues, (i require one tagumet a day).

After talking with 2 Vets, and the PA malamute rescue assosciation, Polgara was informed that D&J Kennels are a known, glorified puppy mill for huskies & malamutes, and that several people have had major problems with the dogs purchased at this kennel. The owners also boast that they breed champions, however, I've yet to know of one of their champions.

Also, D&J is listed with the Better Business Bureau...which burns Polgara's temper, big time, because thay are such a freakin fraud, and its fooling people into thinking its a reputable place.

Anyway, Polgara did not want to return me, because she did not want to release me back to such a place, so she is working with me, very patiently, through my problems, and we are having a nice time together.

If anyone in the PA area wants an Alaskan Malamute purebred, Polgara can give you the name of a reputable breeder that shows her malamutes. Steer clear of the D&J Kennels puppy mill.

Polgara's word on malamutes...people get attracted to these dogs cause they are pretty, and some people want a snow dog. That is a bad reason to buy a Malamute. I bought mine cause I owned a "pack dog" previously, and I wanted a "pack" dog that will handle rough terrain and rock scrambling, and maybe even carry some gear. I love my Malamute, but she is incredibly strong, and she challenges me, mentally, on a daily basis, cause she wants high "pack order" in my family, and these mental challenges are exhausting, and if you lose the challenge, the dog will overtake you. She also does not like children. If you don't have an extensive amount of time to put into training and exercising a Malamute, don't get one, cause it will eat everything in your house. Timber goes through at least 3 rawhides per week, and gets at least 2 miles of dog walking per day.

I sympathize with you. :D

I know exactly how you feel and what you're going thru because I have walked in your shoes, but further.

I truly hope all becomes well for you.

It has taken me 9 years to get the "itch" for a dog again.

Edited by GeoKender

Polgara I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you're having with Timber, hang in there persistence will pay off. She is a beautiful creature and her picture was one of the itch creators for me. I've had the itch for awhile and the past 6 months or so have been feeling our family is ready. We were back and forth between a lab and shepherd. We've had both so had a good idea what we were in for either way. I would have been just as happy to have a mixed breed but the men of the house were determined to have a purebred, my choice of purebred was a Bernese Mtn dog like Bailey but neither of them was interested and they are just so expensive. Since I was the one that wanted it most I went along with them just to get them on board with getting a pup.

So far I've been lucky with the family bred home dog. I just can't get myself to pay the hefty prices of most breeders. We're not interested in showing, just want a healthy pet, true to breed characteristics. I had researched, mailed with and talked to many breeders but just couldn't get myself to spend the kind of money they were asking. I started looking in local classifieds till I found a litter of shepherds closeby. The parents were both gorgeous, the pups were raised in the kitchen with kids in the home. I spoke with their family veterinarian to confirm the health and personalities of their dogs. My usual stipulation is that I want a pup young.. 6-8 weeks of age so that I can be a part of that important socialization period.

Not that I'm reccomending this for you Geokender, I go this route mostly because I'm cheap or underfinaced anyways. With the sounds of your last experience if you can afford to pay for the extra security definitely go with a reputable breeder. I would definitely stay away from pet stores, and be careful, puppy mills are getting a bit harder to identify, puppy brokers have become the middleman. Maybe try your local veterinarian offices and see if they know of anyone local that breeds healthy dogs. (If a shepherd is what your looking for email me, I found a breeder in Northern Jersey that I would have loved to have bought from, even paid the going price if I was closer.)

Good Luck in whatever you choose! and start puppy proofing well in advance.. heheh we're still in need of one more puppy gate before I feel I'll be able to relax a bit with Gracie not in my constant sight.

Let me stick in a pic of Gracie last weekend at 13 weeks just to support the itch :D

13weeks.jpg

I would like to get a doggie too! :(

If you are looking in North NJ... and are still trying to figure out what you want,

I'd suggest going to St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center located in Madison, NJ and North Branch, NJ.

There is an application process where you sit with a counselor who tries to match you with the correct dog, for you, from among the ones they have available...

(these people are very good and really care about the dogs)...

Our two girls (Mother & Daughter) are Chessepeke & Dalmation mix... while not a purebread... mutts have the distinct advantage of a generally longer life & usually do not have the inherrited hip peroblems & all the other problems that come from a narrow gene pool...

St. Hubert's has all kinds of dogs, some that do come with papers... The cost is minimal also, as they are really just looking for good homes for these guys...

I believe they all are spayed or nutered before you get them and they will all be up to date with shots, etc...

I'd also suggest anyone who owns a dog to get your vet to implant a tracking micro-chip in them...

In the event they slip out of their colar and get lost... The local Animal Control will be able to identify them to you by just waving a wand over their shoulders... the chip # is registered with your name and address and contact #'s...

It's painless for the dogs... our girls have had them since they were puppies...

Also, since this technology has been available, research tanks are required to scan any dogs brought in, in case they were stolen and someone tried to sell them for research (experiments)...

Back in the '70's a college roommate of mine had his dog stolen, only to end up in a Lab class that he was taking at Villanova...

Thankfully he was able to rescue his dog before any experiments were started... and the person who sold the dog to the University was caught & prosecuted...

And my college roommate? He's a Veterinarian now...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Heres a great dog song by John Hiatt off the album "Beneath this gruff exterior"

MY DOG AND ME

As she marked our trail

Up the Back Bone Ridge

How many times can one dog pee

She lifts me high as an eagle

When I'm on the skids

I guess you gotta come down eventually

CHORUS #1:

Buddy I coulda done that extra mile

An extra bark or an extra smile

'Cause I never felt so free

It was just my dog and me

Then she gives me that look

Like she'd lay down her life

No doubt she would in a minute, man

She'd face the bullet

Or she'd face the knife

Just to keep my butt from the fryin' pan

CHORUS #2:

Now she runs up ahead to chase some deer

Comes back to tell me that the coast is clear

And it's a different world I see

When it's just my dog and me

There's a rabbit on the run

Man and beast and sky and sun

Who's talking to the birds in the trees

Why it's just my dog and me

Now it looks like we've been makin' tracks

From the crack of dawn

To the end of the day

So it's nice and easy down the devil's back

She wouldn't know

Any other way

CHORUS #3:

But to carry us down that one last ride

'Til we're fast asleep by the fire side

Dreaming those dreams for free

Just my dog and me

Mine was a rescue from the local Humane Society. I simply could not justify buying a dog of any particular sort, when there are so many of those mournful faces that need a home -- any home.

Edited by joefrog

Hope it's ok to post here as I'm in the midwest not Northeast...

Here are my geo kitties

ec4ca617-d3e7-4c77-b2fc-aebbec7039c8.jpg

Hey they remind me of my new cat! If you put together both your cats' face markings you would get my cat, heh...

sneakersm.jpg

I also have two dogs and a foster dog... All three were strays. My Golden has gone on all the (small amount!) of caches I've looked for so far and will be going on all the ones I look for in the future. My terrier will also be coming along when I can bring both. I am looking to get a geocaching "title" for my Golden (not really a title, just a badge...)

ginppark.jpg

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

I would like to get a doggie too! 

We got Gus from a breeder in southeastern VA, so I doubt that's much help to you. We went with a breeder instead of a shelter or rescue because we knew we wanted a Golden, but had heard about hip dysplasia (and other) possible inherited problems and wanted to avoid the potential heartache.

He wasn't cheap, but he didn't break the bank and he's been worth 100 times what he cost. :huh:

GtG

I would like to get a doggie too! <_<

My dogs were all strays, including all my foster dogs. They have GREAT personalities, came already housetrained, and were over the chewing phase! They did not know any obedience when I got them but were very fast learners.