Geocaching Event In The Adirondacks

nfa

Hi,

I'm planning on hosting an event over the weekend of the 15th/16th, and was wondering which day works better for anyone interested in coming. I had in mind meeting for a meal, discussing the new DEC policy on geocaching, and either a snowshoe or xc ski trip afterwards.

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

We have a house approx 50 miles south of where NFA lives still inside Adirondack Park... and it's

Cold enough that it takes 2-3-4 cords of wood to heat the house each month during the winter...

Cold enough that by mid-January you can drive a truck on the ice on the Great Sacandaga... They actually plow roads... :

Cold enough for my mustache & beard to be a block of ice in 1/2 hour just from breathing in and out...

Enough snow that an ATV is useless by mid-January... (that's a good thing)... I have seen it too deep even for snowmobiles...

It gets so cold You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo...

It gets so cold Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets...

It gets so cold Your car helps you plan your trip South...

It gets so cold You need jumper cables to get the driver going...

Need I say more?

Except that it is absolutely one of the most beautiful places on earth in winter...

Keep us posted (Sat. the 15th would be best for us as we have to trek back to NJ on Sunday)...

we should be able to get a bunch of Mayfield area cachers to take a road trip...

And I'll give a heads up to wagonburner & Rusty-O-Junk...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors
NFA,

when is the "Winter Carnival" this year?

meaning 2005.

I'm glad you asked...

The Saranac Lake Winter Carnival, the oldest winter festival in the eastern United States, will celebrate its 108th anniversary when it returns to the Adirondack Mountain village of Saranac Lake, NY from February 4 to February 13, 2005. The theme for 2004 was "Carnival Time ". The theme for 2005 is "Adirondack Aloha."

The Winter Carnival still offers a fascinating array of sporting events. These include snowshoe and nordic ski races at the Dewey Mountain Cross-Country Ski Center, innertube and alpine ski races down the slopes of Mount Pisgah, skating races, broomball and hockey games at the Saranac Lake Civic Center, volleyball played in knee-deep snow, softball played on snowshoes, and a competitive display of traditional logging skills.

At the beginning and the end of the Carnival there are spectacular fireworks displays over what has become the symbol of the Winter Carnival, the world renowned Ice Palace!

The palace was an outgrowth of the village's ice industry, which, in the days before electric refrigerators, harvested ice from local lakes for use in ice boxes across the country and around the world. Despite some refinements in machinery, the Palace is still constructed in much the same manner as it was in 1898, the first year it was built.

About six weeks before the Carnival, an ice field is marked off on Pontiac Bay on Lake Flower; once a suitable ice thickness has been achieved, cutting with long ice saws begins. The blocks taken from the lake are two feet wide and four feet long, are anywhere from one-and-a-half to three feet thick, and weigh between four and eight hundred pounds!

These are moved onshore via a conveyor belt, and are maneuvered into place with "peaveys" - metal-tipped poles with hinged metal hooks - and ice tongs. The blocks are secured to one another with a "mortar" made of slush. While designs may vary from year to year, each palace has, on average, over 1500 blocks in it, and ranges from 70 to 90 feet in length and 40 to 60 feet in height. Within each design is an array of colored lights, that each night transforms the Palace into a vivid sculpture of ice and light!

If you have never been, you should make a point of coming some year...it's awesome!

nfa-jamie

ps - I've listed the event, and picked out January 15th as the date.

Edited by NFA

not approved yet...nyadmin seems to work through stuff on Fridays (for me anyway)

N 44° 19.540 W 074° 07.920

A get-together to share a meal, discuss geocaching in the Adirondacks (and Northern New York), and go on a snowshoe or XC-ski trip afterwards.

I hope that people are willing to brave the cold to come out for a meal or more at the Blue Moon Cafe in Saranac Lake, NY at 12 noon on January 15th, 2005.

We can have some great food and coffee, and discuss the current and future state of geocaching in Northern New York State, and more specifically the Adirondack Park. I also look forward to sharing stories with cachers from other parts that I haven't visited, to hear about the "can't miss caches" in their neck of the woods.

After lunch, we could break up into smaller groups, or head out en masse to snowshoe or XC-ski one of the many local trails.

The Blue Moon Cafe is West of the municipal parking lot and North of the Harrietstown Town Hall.

nfa-jamie

not approved yet...nyadmin seems to work through stuff on Fridays (for me anyway)

A get-together to share a meal, discuss geocaching in the Adirondacks (and Northern New York), and go on a snowshoe or XC-ski trip afterwards.

I hope that people are willing to brave the cold to come out for a meal or more at the Blue Moon Cafe in Saranac Lake, NY at 12 noon on January 15th, 2005.

We can have some great food and coffee, and discuss the current and future state of geocaching in Northern New York State, and more specifically the Adirondack Park. I also look forward to sharing stories with cachers from other parts that I haven't visited, to hear about the "can't miss caches" in their neck of the woods.

After lunch, we could break up into smaller groups, or head out en masse to snowshoe or XC-ski one of the many local trails.

The Blue Moon Cafe is West of the municipal parking lot and North of the Harrietstown Town Hall.

nfa-jamie

Mmmmmm...

Your answer seems to answer speculation I read on another FORUM...

Where it it was suggested that you might be the/a NYADMIN!

I don not balme NYADMIN for keeping his true identity a secret...

If it were me... I'd do the same...

Unless, of course, this is just a ploy to throw us off the trail???!

Mmmmmmm :o

Except that it is absolutely one of the most beautiful places on earth in winter...

I have to say I have been all over the country backpacking, hiking, and skiing the high peaks region is easily the most beautiful places I have been. I haven't been lucky enough to be there in the winter but I am sure it's even better. If I can swing it and talk someone else in going with me I would love to come up.

IMLost, I have cross-country skied in the high country, Mt. Van Hoevenburg in particular among other places, even before the 1980 Olympics. The scenery on a clear winter day is breathtaking, among the best in the east anyway. Just be sure to prepare for very cold temps, single digits or even below zero. I sure do miss the place.

Hi,

It was 17 below this morning at my house in Lake Clear...I found 6 caches today, ate some crappy mall chinese food, watched "National Treasure", shopped at Lowes, and picked up a huge Dunkin Donuts coffee with 2 chocolate-glazed for the drive home...essentially a perfect day in my book. :lol::D:smile:

ps - the 17 below was a date/place record breaker with the previous record at 1 below in 1980.

nfa-jamie

Hi,

It was 17 below this morning at my house in Lake Clear...I found 6 caches today, ate some crappy mall chinese food, watched "National Treasure", shopped at Lowes, and picked up a huge Dunkin Donuts coffee with 2 chocolate-glazed for the drive home...essentially a perfect day in my book. :(:(:P

ps - the 17 below was a date/place record breaker with the previous record at 1 below in 1980.

nfa-jamie

Maybe the lake will be frozen enough for someone to rescue Rusty 'O Junk's

Adirondack Traveler cache...

:o<_<:P

Holy Cow you're up there.  I checked the map and it says 342 miles, 6 hours.

I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I...

went to L.A. 

via Omaha 

<_<

macatac...

we're going 327 miles... about 6 hours...

but we are making a weekend of it...

and staying with jimmybojangles...

but we have a 2:50 hr ride each way from Mayfield up rt. 30 (127 miles) on the day of the event...