Be Careful Out There!!

Team DEMP

Our prayers go out to the family of this tragedy...

BUT... we have been close to the same tragedy for myself & deb while sailboat racing...

Twice in the last 2 years... once while coming home from a Block Island race in the fog (thank God for GPS, visibility was so bad you couldn't see the bow of the boat from the helm) and almost getting t-boned by a 38' sport fisherman going at full speed somewhere near Montauk Pt. (idiot!)... It was terrifying just being able to hear his motors thru the fog as he got closer...

And just this past September when a freak "White Squall" blew up in Gardiners Island Bay on LI,NY with sustained winds of 60 knots and gusts up to 84 knots (waves were between 12-18' in the bay) It lasted 2.5 hours... 5 boats sank & one very experienced sailor from Stonington, Ct. participating in the same race did loose his life... with his life jacket on... when the 31' tri-maran he was on capsized and he got caught in the rigging...

At least with geocaching you have an idea of the terrain you will be entering and can take the usual precautions...

The victim here should never have been caching, where risky climbing/terrain was involved, by himself, alone... no cache is worth your life...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors
I'm allways worried about meeting some maniac out in the woods,not the kind that hide tupperware the ones who are hiding bodies to cover up there crime!There have been several bodies found dumped in the long island pine barrens over the last few years.

Me too... I always worry when Deb goes on a lunchtime cache by herself...

I usually am on the cell phone with her as she does her hiking & caching...

(Beside the fact that she usually forgets the cache sheet and has to call me for any hints and to read other posters comments)...

I'm allways worried about meeting some maniac out in the woods,not the kind that hide tupperware the ones who are hiding bodies to cover up there crime!There have been several bodies found dumped in the long island pine barrens over the last few years.

several dead bodies have turned up in the Palisades near the NY/NJ border over the past few years, though I think some washed ashore as opposed to being dumped in the woods. Also a gentlemen died there a week ro two ago after crossing a fence barrier and playing on the rocks and then falling to his death.

one must always exercise caution. this may be a sport, but real life can stick its nasty head back in any time it wants, be it heart attacks, slipping and falling or meeting maniacs in the woods.

I'm pretty impressed that despite this horrible tragedy, the media seems to be casting geocaching in a positive light.  y.

Geocaching - Deadly Game ?

Keep in mind that the person who wrote the headline is NOT the person who wrote the story. So the story is more of a barometer of the media stance than the headline is.