First To Find

Jumbo Village

I don't see the point of being FTF, per se. We do enjoy the friendly competition of being FTF on the difficult ones.

We DNFed on a cache practically in our backyard. In the dark it was pretty hard, but during the day we saw it right off the bat.

The latest cache by FennDog we were FF. Let's see how long second place takes. :grin:

It's not hard to understand: It's competition, and competition is FUN, especially if you WIN. People like to race each other. "I can run faster than you, and I can prove it; My car's faster than yours, I can jump higher than you, I can score higher on this test than you, I can answer more questions than you on Jeopardy; I can beat you at Monopoly, I can get a bigger raise than you, I can hike six miles cross country at night and beat you to the treasure, I can beat you to Nome, or the North Pole, or the finish line at Indy..." Or if you win, at least we had fun doing it, and mayabae I'll win next time. Human Beings are very competitive animals...

I hear of places where cachers are likely to run into each other at 2 a.m. at a new cache.

Yeah, I saw that when I spent some time in the north suburbs of Orlando earlier this year. I happened to spot a cache on-line that had just been placed the day before; I wasn't specifically "going for" FTF, but I just thought it would be neat for an out-of-towner to happen to beat the locals to FTF.

Forget it...I went out exactly 1 day after it was approved, and the 2 local FTF-hounds had both already logged it just after Midnight the night before (and apparently had unexpected met up with each other with their flashlights out on the trail!).

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
It's not hard to understand: It's competition, and competition is FUN, especially if you WIN

I would understand if you did WIN something, but you don't (well not always unless there's something special in the cache right?).

But I think I am beginning to get a feel for what you guys are saying here now. If enough people want to play the game on another level, then a FTF is the way to go.

Me however, I'm just hapy if I ever find them at all!

Thanks

Richard

So far I've only gotten one FTF and it was absolutely no big deal at all. I think that most people do it for bragging rights really. And to most of us, it's of no significance whatsoever. :blink:

I don't think the majority do it for bragging rights at all - it's more likely a personal challenge - I like trying to get FTF on puzzle caches, but in no way do I do it to get one up on anyone else. Trying for FTF also often means you'll meet other cachers. There are one or two in my area that I have met on FTF hunts - this is cool too.

There's also the added bonus of finding the cache in it's original state, often with geocoins ot TBs in it.

Never got it myself. It seems more of an issue in some regions that others. I hear of places where cachers are likely to run into each other at 2 a.m. at a new cache. Here (In NJ) a new cache can go 3-4 days before the FTF.

Here in Rochester, NY, this happens often. Many of my FTFs are after 11pm, and I have run into people past midnight at caches!

It's VERY rare that a cache isn't found within an hour or two of it being posted!

It is kind of a personal challenge. When we first started geocaching it was tough in our area, now it isn't quite so tough although there are some new cachers that are enjoying it too. It is quite a bit tougher to find sometimes because of the kinks that may need working out. Just another challenge is what it is. (89 FTFs)

I would understand if you did WIN something, but you don't (well not always unless there's something special in the cache right?).

You always win something. You get to say you were FTF. That's more important to me than a prize, only because we have heavy competition here. Plus I get to add it to my FTF list in my profile.

Lately about a third to a half of my finds are FTFs (or FTF attempts!) only because I have to limit my caching time, and I enjoy the FTF challenge more than a normal find.

i don't count the number of FFs i have. let's just say it's more than four and fewer than two hundred.

a FF prize is noce, but not necessary. i think it's tacky to put the number of FF's in my profile. i can't even say it's about bragging rights, because i don't brag about it. i don't even mention it in my log, so if you were there the same day as me and logged online first, nobody would even know but you and me. sometimes i don't even sign the first page in the book.

that said, i will confess to driving four hours to get a FF. i will confess to being a FF at a quarter of two in the morning in the rain. maybe it's a zen thing.

Am I missing some higher spiritual point here?!

Thrill!

Exhilaration!!

Excitement!!!

The adrenaline rush...

It's more emotional, therefore a "heightened" experience and since strength of memories are tied to emotional involvement, more memorable.

Also, unlike a cache with prior finders, there's less of a trail leading right to the container, fewer "scratched" rocks, etc. The hide is closer to it's original design rather than what's left after a few visitors have each gradually affected it.

Obviously, after you've done a bunch of FTF's, the emotional excitement mellows, but it's still way beyond finding after the fact.

OTOH, it's risky, FTF attempts are most likely to discover poor coords, goofed coords, etc.

Now that I think about it, FTF'ing is more like treasure hunting as compared to visiting a historical site that many have been to before you.

Regardless, to each their own...

Enjoy,

Randy

Within a day of any of my hidden caches, you can garuntee someone will have found it.

Most of the good points have been well stated above. But, one other thing I enjoy about hiding caches is trying to create ones that the local FTF hounds don't get FTF on. A couple of the FTF hounds in our area nab the new caches within the day they are posted, but, both my recent puzzle caches were first found by others.

My current theory is that there are the park and grab FTF hounds, the find the tough ones first FTF hounds, and the fastest puzzle solver FTF types. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a lot of overlap in these, although the park and drive locals still made it into the top four on my recent puzzle caches.

So far I've only gotten one FTF and it was absolutely no big deal at all. I think that most people do it for bragging rights really. And to most of us, it's of no significance whatsoever. :blink:

I don't know if I'd be so quick to speak for "most of us", if I were you.

I think it's great fun, and part of the "spark" I get from the game, to race out and try to find a cache before anyone else does. Just like finding one that's been around for months, it's the thrill of the hunt. The possibility of being FTF just adds a little more thrill to it, is all. There are enough other people who get a thrill out of being FTF, that I think your "most of us" statement is questionable.

I have only run into one other cacher going for a FTF at night, it was around midnight, when I saw someone looking the cache I drove off the road trying to see who it was ;) , He thouhgt I was a security guard because of all the antennas on my truck for my ham radios (4) :blink: . to make matters worse, we looked for a long tome and could not find the cache, it's rates 1X1, so we left :D

We found out later that the cache was hidden by some kids and one of their brothers took the cache when they told him were it was hidden :D

My last FTF was a long time ago, I think about a week ago. I'm starting to have trouble sleeping, I stay up all night check for new caches. ;)

I love being the first to find a cache because:

•Many times, it will get me to an area that I haven't been to before, and then I'll do a bunch of other caches in the area too.

•I find better swag in a brand new cache and will always make a trade instead of TNLN.

•I've met other cachers who are out trying for the same thing.

•I find it more exciting as it adds an element of competition.

•I like the spontaneity of it all.

•You are not only the search engine, but also the beta tester.

Sometimes, the pitfalls of trying for a FTF are strange and funny. Twice now, I went for the FTF, but the cache had not yet been hidden! Another time, I gave up rather easily because the clue directed me to a totally different area from the posted coords, which were actually quite close.

(60 FTF - and 8 of those were in 1 day - not that it's about the numbers or anything) :blink:

Edited by ElectroQTed

I read through and found myself agreeing entirely with CoyoteRed, amazing.

Seriously, I enjoy the occasional race to a really tough one, but for the most part I leave them alone. One plus is that you get to find the cache the way the hider intended. If it is out in the open, it is because it was hidden that way. Anyone who finds after the FTF cannot be guaranteed that same experience. On the downside of that, you are beta-testing, if the coords are off by a tenth of a mile you get to discover that, I know I have done it. You also get the opportunity to discover whether or not the hider got permission for the cache, I have had that happen too.

The more I think about it the more it reminds me of something else, you get to discover the unspoiled beauty of the new cache, but at the same time you have to deal with some fumbling and dancing around that you would not get with a more "experienced" cache.

I used to drive quite a ways to be FTF. I don't know if I have mellowed over the last year or what but it has to be a fairly close one for me to try now. I had a little friendly competition going with a fellow cacher before and there's a new cacher that has been snagging the FTF's in the area and doing some bragging. Maybe it's time to burst his bubble a little. :blink:

Edited by Mastifflover

I recently placed my 2nd cahe, and specifically stated on the page that there would not be a FTF Prize. Instead it would be a "Fourth-To-Find".

And, wouldn't you know it, our local FTF Hound just "happens" to be 4th. Geesh...you try to spread the wealth around, and it it just ends up being the same people.

I guess the thing that really irritates me is that this cache was an extremely easy one. And I was trying to setup something nice for a newer person to enjoy.

I have been trying to avoid being anything less than 4th or 5th to find lately. It's no use trying anymore, always the same few local cachers running out to beat everyone else.

I just love logging my find as: Woo Hoo FFTF!! (Forty-Fifth To Find).

I'll get off my soap box now....

JayBee

I can sort of see the kudos of getting a "First to Find", but I can't understand the reason why people get so fanatical about it! Within a day of any of my hidden caches, you can garuntee someone will have found it.

Thanks

Richard

bragging rights, mostly, but sometimes there's a cool first-finder's prize too

I recently placed my 2nd cahe, and specifically stated on the page that there would not be a FTF Prize. Instead it would be a "Fourth-To-Find".

And, wouldn't you know it, our local FTF Hound just "happens" to be 4th. Geesh...you try to spread the wealth around, and it it just ends up being the same people.

I guess the thing that really irritates me is that this cache was an extremely easy one. And I was trying to setup something nice for a newer person to enjoy.

I have been trying to avoid being anything less than 4th or 5th to find lately. It's no use trying anymore, always the same few local cachers running out to beat everyone else.

I just love logging my find as: Woo Hoo FFTF!! (Forty-Fifth To Find).

I'll get off my soap box now....

JayBee

Here's a trick for next time.

Don't tell anyone about any finders prize. After the first 1, 3, 4, whatever logs, go out there and leave the prize. Make sure it's well labeled that it's a finder's prize and not needed to trade for it. You might also want to make a small note of it at the top of the next blank page in the logbook. If you do that on every new cache, and randomize what # is the lucky finder, you have a better chance of distributing the wealth. Also, perhaps the FTFers that are in it for the loot will leave FTF on your caches for someone else, in hopes to score the big 4TF prize or whatever.

Ah. FTF. I have either one or two. Definitely BrianSnat's Fluffy Pink Bunnies. I was going into that area anyway, and designed my day to log that one. :blink:

On the other hand, I don't drive at night, so I missed two very local ones. One by a half hour. Oh, well.

Yes, I did enjoy the FTF. Either the challenge, or the adenalin. Not sure which.

And read the FTF comment on one of mine sometime. At 'A Matter of Attitude'.

I can sort of see the kudos of getting a "First to Find", but I can't understand the reason why people get so fanatical about it! Within a day of any of my hidden caches, you can garuntee someone will have found it.

Some people don't get the point about Geocaching either.

I love being the first to find a cache because:

•I find it more exciting as it adds an element of competition.

•I like the spontaneity of it all.

•You are not only the search engine, but also the beta tester.

I cache in the same area as ChileHead and I enjoy the competition and the spontaneity (and the consequences that come with it) required to increase my luck to rack up the FTFs. I also like night caching however, I only seem to make time for it while attempting a FTF.

My wife isn't generally all that excited about Geocaching, but FTF opportunities really get her interest.  If I announce that I've just found a new listing for a nearby cache that hasn't had any finds logged on it yet, there's a very good chance that she will be as enthusiastic as I am — if not more so — about going after it.

So far, we've only managed 3 FTFs, but to get an idea of how motivated we can be about an FTF, check out the log on our second FTF.

It's not hard to understand: It's competition, and competition is FUN, especially if you WIN. People like to race each other. "I can run faster than you, and I can prove it; My car's faster than yours, I can jump higher than you, I can score higher on this test than you, I can answer more questions than you on Jeopardy; I can beat you at Monopoly, I can get a bigger raise than you, I can hike six miles cross country at night and beat you to the treasure, I can beat you to Nome, or the North Pole, or the finish line at Indy..." Or if you win, at least we had fun doing it, and mayabae I'll win next time. Human Beings are very competitive animals...

That pretty much sums it up. Competition isn't for everyone. For those who enjoy it, like me, it's just adds another fun eliment to the game. And I actually have run into other cachers at night. I've also ran out for a FTF at 10:00pm, just 30 minutes after the cache was posted and was beaten to it. Thats the thing about geocaching, there's something for everyone.

Mankind has historically sought challenges (i.e. the first to the North or South Pole, the top of Mount Everest). And why? – numerous novels can best give one a flavor more than I can elaborate on here. Personally I don’t have the time or money to go on this type of expedition at this point in my life; most of the biggies have been accomplished anyway.

For lack of a better phrase, this is a “poor man’s” (or woman’s) way to achieve something similar. There is no feeling quite like standing atop a summit at 5:00 AM as the sun peaks over the horizon; opening the logbook and seeing you have been the first to accomplish this journey.

Certainly a FTF won’t go down in the history books; all won’t appreciate it. But for a brief, selfish moment, I have joined the ranks of the great explores.

As always, enjoy the adventure! :cool:

MS

There is no feeling quite like standing atop a summit at 5:00 AM as the sun peaks over the horizon; opening the logbook and seeing you have been the first to accomplish this journey.

Wow Miles, I need to move to your part of the state! Down here, if you're opening that mountain top logbook at 5am, you might as well just open it to the 3rd page, cause Al and Randy already logged it hours ago. B):cool:B)