Mapsource "avoidance" Feature

I'm running the 6.5 Beta version of MapSource and using City Select v6. My Quest has a feature that allows you to create "avoidances" or streets/areas that you don't want the unit to consider using when building a route. Today, while working on a routing project on the desktop, I tried to do the same thing with the MapSource program but there's no such feature. I can tell it to avoid things like highways, U-turns and dirt roads but I can't find any way to exclude a specific street or area.

If anyone knows of a way to do what I'm trying to do with this program, I'd be grateful to learn about it.

Thanks!!!

If anyone knows of a way to do what I'm trying to do with this program, I'd be grateful to learn about it.

MapSource doesn't support this feature that the Quest does so well...odd, huh? I have a Quest and use the road/area avoidance feature alot here in SoCal. It would be nice to be able to set these avoidances from within MapSource and transfer them to the Quest in one shot but I don't know if this would be possible...

In MapSource, go to:

EDIT | PREFERENCES | ROUTING

Look in the lower left corner

"Try to avoid"

[ ] Highways

[ ] Toll Roads

[ ] Unpaved Roads

[ ] U-Turns

[ ] Carpool Lanes

Yes, I saw this but it's function is limited to allowing the program to determine what to avoid and what to use based upon these settings. What I'm referring to is the Quest's ability to specifically select a single street (or section thereof) to avoid. The MapSource feature is just too limited and general.

Well, considering that I'm on perpetual hold with Garmin about another subject, I guess I'll ask about this one too and let you know what I find out.

It would be nice to be able to set these avoidances from within MapSource and transfer them to the Quest in one shot but I don't know if this would be possible...

It never hurts to ask...so I will!!!

This is just another reason why Quest Rocks!!!

Edited by VisionQuest220

OK, I'm off the phone with the folks at Garmin and the word on the "avoidance" issue is simply this: The software that the Quest GPS is running is more advanced than the current release of MapSource which is why the standalone program isn't currently as capable as the GPS itself. According to the Garmin Rep, Quest is the most recent, and therefore, advanced product that Garmin has on the market and it's going to take a little while for the older programs to catch up. He told me that he'd pass along the suggestion and to look for it in future updates of MapSource.

Now we know...