The Garmin Map60cs Faq

Sputnik 57

The Garmin GPSMap60CS Thread has more posts than any current thread in this forum. For those of you who don't want to wade through all of it (now 9 pages and growing), I'm starting this thread as an "FAQ shortcut."

Please read the questions below. Yours is probably listed and answered! If all goes according to plan, the posts in this thread will link you to answers or discussions in this forum (or elsewhere) that address your question. Some links point to a question in a forum that has several answers following, so read a bit beyond the post you are linked to.

If your question is not answered below, please post it in the GPSMap60CS thread, (NOT here) so that this thread doesn't mushroom into an novel.

To stay on topic in this thread, please follow a few simple rules:

(i) Only post a question here that can be answered in a few words, or for which you can Markwell an answer in your post.

(ii) Type the question in bold, for easy viewing, and link the answer.

(iii) If you want to comment or expand on the answer, keep it short, and in plain text.

(iv) While the focus of the thread is Garmin Map60CS, similar operating systems (60C, 76C, 76CS, Legend C, etc.) are fair game.

(v) Related questions (such as maps and software) are also appropriate if they are used by 60/76 owners.

And now, some preliminary FAQs to start us off:

Where can I find the manual on line?

The 60CS manual is here. The 60C manual is here. Other Garmin manuals can be found by going to the Garmin products page, clicking on your unit, and then clicking on "manual" on the left margin. (BTW, if someone has answered your question with RTFMS, I think that means "Read the fine manual, silly.")

How can I tell what version of the firmware I have?

Step by step instructions here

What is the most recent firmware?

Version 3.6 as of 11.12.04, but check here for the 60CS and here for the 60C. The latest drivers are there too.

What maps can I load onto the 60CS?

Only Garmin maps can be loaded. A complete list can be found here (click on the "MapSource Compatibility" link on the right). The most popular are City Select (for auto routing and points of interest), Topo US (for off road trails), and US Topo 24K (for detailed maps in national parks).

How do I reset the trip odometer?

Step-by-step here.

How do I delete tracks?

Also here.

How do I switch between "follow road" and "off road"?

Here again. (Curmudgeonly Gal is pretty darn smart! Thanks Michelle!)

To get the GPSr to prompt you for "follow road" or "off road" look here.

My old GPS 12 had a "Man Overboard" function. How do I quickly mark a waypoint with this unit?

Press and hold "Find." (See page 18 of the manual).

How can I load both City Select and Topo maps?

One solution is here.

Can I see both City Select and Topo maps at the same time?

In a word, no. Read the next post to see why.

If I have City Select and Topo loaded for the same area, I only see the City Select map. How do I see the Topo map and switch between them?

Detailed explanation here and in the few following posts (please excuse the rant).

How do I check to see how much memory is unused in the GPSr?

Well, you can't directly, but you can via MapSource.

Any suggestions for a good mount?

A pretty good discussion starts here. Garmin and RAM seem to be the most popular.

What's the best external antenna?

Garmin and Gilsson models seem popular.

Any recommendations on cases?

Neoprene and sharkskin cases are discussed here.

Feel free to jump in here!

Edited by Sputnik 57

Where can I see a good review of this GPSr?

Try gpsinformation.net. The 60C is reviewed here. The 76C review is here. Other units and topics are listed on their home page.

Screen shots of the 60C are available here.

Where can I find the super secret Garmin start-up commands?

There is a list of them here, but use at your own risk. Pressing the wrong keys will reset your unit!

OK, but what if I want to reset my unit

Details on doing a hard reset can be found in this post.

What if I just want to delete all of the waypoints?

Follow the steps in these posts.

How do I keep the cache waypoints from showing up on my map without deleting them?

This dicussion talks about that.

Edited by Sputnik 57

How do I get EasyGPS to talk to my GPSr via the USB port?

First, make sure that you have the latest version of EasyGPS (ver. 1.3.7 as of this post). Then make sure you have the "use USB' box checked.

How to I get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to talk to my GPSr via the USB port?

Make sure that you are using the latest version of GSAK (4.2 or higher--5.0 is about to be released as of this post). Earlier versions didn't support USB.

Can I get MS Streets and Trips to talk to my GPSr via the USB cable?

Apparently, not at this time

I'm not using any software. How do I enter a waypoint manually?

Press "mark," which will mark your current location. Then scroll up to the coordinates field and press "Enter" to edit the coordinates to those of the waypoint that you want to enter. You can also edit the name and symbol. Then scroll down to 'OK" and press "Enter."

When I'm hooked up to the USB cable, is the GPSr using its batteries, or does it get power from the USB cable?

It uses its batteries. It doesn't draw power through its mini USB connection.

How do I get information from GSAK into the "comment" field of my GPSr?

The "comment" field in the 60CS is the same as the "Waypoint Description" field in GSAK.

Why can't I seem to download more than about 30 characters into the comment field, when it looks like it will hold twice that many?

Good question (but currently without a good answer).

GSAK lets me build really long waypoint names. What is the longest waypoint name the GPSr allows

You're limited to ten characters

I'm trying to download data using EasyGPS with a serial cable, and I get Error #22. Help!

GPSBable's RobertLipe to the rescue.

[Yes, I realize that this thread is a monolog so far. Oh well :rolleyes: ]

Edited by Sputnik 57

My map keeps spinning. Can anyone tell me how to get the map to turn right side up?

Set the map to "North Up" instead of "Track Up". Go to Menu-->Map Setup and on the General page, select "North Up" instead of "Track Up" on the "Orientation" drop down list. (See manual p 49 for the 60C, p60 for the 60CS)

I have a 60cs and I am trying to find a easy way to delete my several hundred cache waypoints. I would like to load some from a different area. I can seem to only delete one at a time. That would take almost forever. I also have Mapsource 6.3. Is there a way to delete many caches at a time? Or all of them ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Panda Fan
I have a 60cs and I am trying to find a easy way to delete my several hundred cache waypoints. I would like to load some from a different area. I can seem to only delete one at a time. That would take almost forever. I also have Mapsource 6.3. Is there a way to delete many caches at a time? Or all of them ? :rolleyes:

Select "Trip Computer" page, "Menu" and "Reset". Note that you can select individuals items (Routes, waypoints et cetera) or "ALL". If you select "Waypoints" ALL waypoints will be deleted.

What is the little red dot thing on the satellite page?

MacBandit discusses the direction-of-travel dot here here. Note that if you change from "North Up" to "Track Up" the red dot disappears.

What is the little "D" on the satellite page

MacBandit to the rescue again.

Is there any other discussion about hiding waypoints on the map screen?

Yes. I should have linked to this post earlier. (Time to edit the previous post expired)

When I list waypoints, only some of them show up. How do I the the GPSr to list all of the waypoints?

This is discussed starting here and continued here.

Is there an easy way to know how many waypoints I have downloaded into my GPSr?

Actually, there is an easy way and a hard way using MapSource.

I told my GPSr to remember my backlight level, but the light never comes on when I power it up. Do I have to turn the light on every time I power up?

Yep. It remembers the level you set, but always powers up with the light off (kind of a pain at night). You learn pretty quickly to power the unit on, and then tap the power button again to turn on the light.

The GPSr holds 10,000 track points, but doesn't display that many. Can I get it to show more (or less)?

Yes you can. The unit records 10,000, no matter how many are displayed. The default setting displays 3,000.

My Legend has a way to display my "favorite" waypoints. Can I do that on my 60CS?

There is no "favorites" setting, but there is an easy work-around.

What is the purpose of the "temperature" setting? Does the GPSr display the temperature?

Sort of, on the diagnostic menu page, but its use is still a little mysterious (at least to me).

If I want to go from, say, Atlanta to Denver, do I have to load all the maps in between to autoroute?

You can just load Atlanta and Denver (and any city you may stay in between them. The unit autoroutes on its basemapfor areas you haven't loaded.

Edited by Sputnik 57
This is a great thread - does much of it apply to the 60C as well, or is there another FAQ thread for it?

Virtually all of the answers apply to the 60C and the 60CS. In general, they apply to the 76C and the 76CS as well. From what I understand, they apply pretty well to the Legend C too. All use virtually the same operating system. In the interest of full disclosure, Sputnik 57 uses a 60C.

What is the purpose of the "temperature" setting? Does the GPSr display the temperature?

1. Internal temperature sensor is used for calibrating the GPS to make it more accurate. It's only visible in the diagnostic page

2. Selectable temperature filed in the menu is used when connecting a fishfinder (sonar) to measure the sea temperature.

Edited by jotne

Is it possible to change the built in basemap? (USA/Europe)

No

Is there any difference between basemap of 60C(S) and 76C(S)

Yes

The 60C(S) has a 64MB flash where you can load 56MB of maps that gives 8MB basemap

The 76C(S) has a 128MB flash where you can load 115MB maps that gives 13MB basemap

Here is a picture taken from a 60 series

gar60C.GIF

and one from the 76 series

gar76CS.GIF

as you can see, more roads, lakes and poi

Edited by jotne
Thanks for the info. To bad there isn't a way to just delete caches instead of all waypoints. I wonder if Garmin could change that in some software update? Is there a spacific place on the gramin webpage to give ideas for updates?

Go:

FIND->GEOCACHE->MENU->DELETE

Pick the type you want to delete (geocache, geocache found, etc)

When I upload waypoints to my GPS that have similar names, only some of them show up. What am doing wrong?

If you are using GSAK, make sure that you have the "smart name" set to no more than 10 (%smart=10). If you use a longer setting, the GPSr truncates the name to 10 characters, which may no longer be unique. This is discussed in more detail in this thread.

How do I search this thread for the question I'm looking for?

In most browsers, you can open the thread and then press "ctrl F" to open a search box. Type in a key word and the browser will take you there if it appears on the page.

I did a search in the forums for "60C" but it keeps returning an error. Why is that?

Forum software requires search terms to be at least 4 characters long. Try seaching for "60CS" or "Garmin 60" or "Map60C". That should get some results.

This thread is a lot shorter than the Map60CS thread, but it is pretty disorganized and scatter-shot. Is there a better organized web page with all of this info?

To quote a famous cacher, "Workin' on it." The problem with threads is that information comes in as it occurs to someone, with no real way to organize it. The forum software limits your ability to edit a post after while, so information doesn't occur all in one place. Jotne and Robert have added some great info. I'm pretty weak on EasyGPS and ExpertGPS, but I hope to get this into a web page soon.

Edited by Sputnik 57

When I try to Find an address, my GPSr shows me two regions. One is lame and I don't need it. How do I get rid of it?

As discussed here, you probably loaded a map from MapSource that straddles a border. You can't delete a map from your GPSr. You need to go to mapsource, de-select the offending map, and re-load the maps to your GPSr.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I now have most of the questions in this thread up-loaded onto this site. I'll continue to update and add more to the site, but I don't plan to add anything else here. If you have an FAQ that you would like to see posted to the web site, e-mail me and I'll add it.

Site designers would yell about one long web page with so much text, but its the simplest way for you to find what you are looking for. On most browsers, you can just go to the top of the page, press Ctrl F, and search for key words regarding your issue.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and the site. Special thanks to jotne, robert, BlueDeuce, Thot and Neo Geo for their great contributions!

Sputnik 57

I would like to add the recent display, re-routing and shut-off threads, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm also toying with floating frames to link to the threads, but can't decide if it helps or not. I may post the page with some floating frames and ask folks for their input.

I'm not sure about pinning this, but you can always link to the site by finding one of my (many) posts and clicking on the link in my signature line.

I'm not sure about pinning this, but you can always link to the site by finding one of my (many) posts and clicking on the link in my signature line.

I understand ya, but I think once it falls off the first page people might be posting questions that are covered.

I don't want them to miss out on the wealth of information!

Plus the subject line could include '76cs'. (cough, cough) :D

If you don't mind it getting bumped once in a while, neither do I.

Edited to write semi-coherent sentence.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've added a few of the recent topics and post to the 60CS/76CS FAQ. If you see questions that you would like to see added to the web page, please post them here or send me an e-mail or PM. Thanks!!

BTW, Centex Trekker's Garmin Map60CS thread now has over 650 posts and an amazing 38,000+ views, second only to ClydeE's GSAK threads. Thanks for all who have contributed.

Is it possible to find an address only based on Street Name? I never get an 'OK' button when typing in a name. Does it need a City, too?

No and Yes.

The FIND ADDRESS function will work as soon as the GPS has enough information to make a calculation.

It depends on the maps you have loaded as well, the base map being the least accurate. I have never got it to work with Street and City and only on one occasion I can remember with Number and Street.

If you are wanting to just find the street, i generally guess at a number just to get me in the vicinity.

Hope this helps.

Is there anyone who knows how to use "Jumpmaster"

Look at this link:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=93559

"Sputnik 57"

Can you add info about "Jumpmaster" to the FAQ?

There is a "Jumpmaster" at Garmin at this link:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexVista_Jumpmaster.pdf

This manual describe the page in the GPS, but does not tell me how to use it.

(I am not a sky diver)

I've made a few minor additions to the FAQ. If you've seen something helpful in the forum that you think should be added, please post a link to it here, or PM me.

Also, if anyone has a copy of the zip file with TheOfficeMaven's Geocaching icons, please let me know. The link in the thread that the FAQ points to is no longer working, and I'd like to continue to make them available.

Since it's too hot to cache in Houston, I spent some time today updating the FAQ. Special thanks this round go to Neo Geo, PDOP's, MacBandit, Moun10bike, Round Robin, Ken from Wheaton, and all of you who take the time to post answers to questions here in these forums.

If you see anything that needs to be fixed or added, please drop me a line or PM me.

Edited by Sputnik 57

A simple 76CS question for those in the know which I am not. I should have figured this out my self as I have had a 76S for several years BUT. I have selected MIN/MAX as my data fields on the altitude/barometer page but I never seem to get a MIN/MAX reading. The graph on this page shows elevation gain and loss but the numbers never show on the data fields. Am I missing something obivious here as to what triggers this data to show. I only selected these data fields recently so I have never noticed this before. I have reset the parameters on this page and the MAX show 0 when I do this but it never changes after a trip of elevation gain/loss. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

A simple 76CS question for those in the know which I am not. I should have figured this out my self as I have had a 76S for several years BUT. I have selected MIN/MAX as my data fields on the altitude/barometer page but I never seem to get a MIN/MAX reading. The graph on this page shows elevation gain and loss but the numbers never show on the data fields. Am I missing something obivious here as to what triggers this data to show. I only selected these data fields recently so I have never noticed this before. I have reset the parameters on this page and the MAX show 0 when I do this but it never changes after a trip of elevation gain/loss. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

GPSMap76SScreens.jpg

Need to go outside for 10 minutes or so and calibrate your altimeter to your altitude, and get a position fix, before the MIN/Max shows up. A position fix is required for this to work. I have Altimeter Auto Cal ON, and Altimeter ON

Mine showed blank, untill a few minutes into Aquiring the Satelites, then the MIN/Max Data fields came to life.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Me again. I did try the MIN?MAX elevation thing with my 76S and it did just as GOT GPS pics show. Everything works as it should on the 76S. The 76CS is another story. MAX elevation on the data field shows 0 and MIN elevation shows ______ ( just a dotted line ) and it never changes like on the 76S. I thought the MAX elevation would show the elevation at the point of aqquiring a fix for at least 30 mins.

team sidewinder