How Do I Erase A Spoiler

McDeHack

I don't know if this is the correct way of appoaching this, but How can I erase a photo that has been posted with a find claim. The offending photo gives one of the ideas that I have been working on away. (A Spoiler Mk 1). I am trying to produce some difficult to find caches.

I have emailed the finder to ask them to erase the photo if they can. :grin:

Help please.

Why don't some people think?

You'll probably find they were being helpful to future visitors of the cache.

The best thing to do is just to write a courteous mail to the people that posted the picture and outline that you want to keep the cache that bit more difficult.

If it's any consolation, not everyone takes the spoiler pic along with them! :grin:

A polite email has always worked for me in this situation. If they're unwilling to remove the picture perhaps they'd clearly mark it as a spoiler? If that's not good enough and you really need the picture gone I'd do as Klaus suggests and delete the log, dropping them an email to say why and inviting them to relog without the picture.

As for why some people don't think, I dare say they were just being imperfect, fallible human beings who sometimes do do things without thinking. I know I do.

SP

Part of the standard text on a cache description page says, 'Warning, the logs may contain spoilers' or words to this affect.

However, The cache in question is close to my area, and I was planning the next couple of caching trips and stumbled across the picture. At first sight the picture looks innocuous enough. But give it a few seconds and your eye is drawn to....

Well, that must be the definition of a spoiler.

This picture really must go, or at least be cropped, or the title changed to make the spoiler really clear.

If you are planning to do McDehack caches in the near future, for your own pride/pleasure/sanity don't open the log pictures.

Please log this cache without any spoiler or hint. Since everybody should have the same fun in searching this cache, I will delete every log with a trace of a spoiler.
This can be found in some of my descriptions and it states what happens: The log will be deleted without any warning >> I always explain to the fellow geocacher why I did it and invite him to repost again. Until now only two of them tried to argue that it's only a little spoiler - but all the other had no problem with reposting. Most of them weren't aware that they did post a spoiler.

Ah, Mr McDehack! Can I first direct you to my Lymm Dam(n) Frustration cache GCKP2Y. I have a clear warning in CAPITAL letters as to what will happen if the cache type/location is compromised!

In your shoes I would delete both of the logs and post a note to advise that FTF has already gone to *..........* subject to they re-posting their logs. Politely email the cacher to explain and invite them to re-log (congratulate them on their FTF as well!) They have caches of their own so I'm sure they'll understand. Also they may need to get in contact with you about their two DNFs!!!!!

You will need to act quickly as there are other sneaky cachers like me who will be diving in to look at the caches to see the photos before they are removed! Oops, the pressure is now on as I've let the cat out of the bag!

Best of luck, if I can be of any further help you know where to find me. Oh, and if you want to kick my butt for the last paragraph I'll understand!!

Paul

They have got to go. I would not ban photos from the cache page though. Just ones with spoilers in.

This is a serious problem for cache owners. I have just found a potential spoiler on a cache page (eeeeek) which i can not delete.

Am popping off to the other forums to post a topic thread for Jeremy asking for the power to delete photos from logs for cache owners.

Cute though. :blink:

As I said, I emailed the logger and asked that the photo be removed. I gave them 24 hours. I have deleted the log.

I shall again email the FTF logger to tell him to relog.

As for your answers to my first post, I thank you.

I shall place a warning about spoilers on the cache pages.

I have made notes of you lot that have viewed the offending photo, and I might ban you from visiting the cache. ;) Yer, Yer, oh look a flying pig.... :blink::D;);)

Good on here ain't it? :D