Manually entering longitude and latitude

Visuvius

When manually entering Logitude and latitude, which numbers am i supposed to use. When i click "Convert" it pops up with three different ones for WGS84 - DMS, MinDec, DegDec. I realize these must be different formats, but which one do i enter? I have a GPS V.

thanks

Use what ever format the data that you are entering is in. The data that in on the cache pages is in ddd mm ss.s. You just have to look at the data and set it accordingly.

Later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

Use what ever format the data that you are entering is in. The data that in on the cache pages is in ddd mm ss.s. You just have to look at the data and set it accordingly.

Later

mcb

http://blithe.cwru.edu/gps/gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

I'm sure you meant to say ddd mm.mmm which is digital minutes.minutes decimal. I believe this is the correct position forma for the cache page.

Also the cache page Datum is WGS84.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

Later

mcb

http://blithe.cwru.edu/gps/gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

I'm sure you meant to say ddd mm.mmm which is digital minutes.minutes decimal. I believe this is the correct position forma for the cache page.

Also the cache page Datum is WGS84.

Alan

Let me correct my own error. ddd mm.mmm is Degrees Minutes.DecimalMinutes

Alan

Well if we are going to get picky...

it's HDD(D)° MM.MMM Hemisphere, degrees, minutes, and decimal minutes.

I'm really bored at 1:50 am in the morning, otherwise I would not care icon_biggrin.gif

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

I'm really bored at 1:50 am in the morning, otherwise I would not care icon_biggrin.gif

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

quote:
Originally posted by SkydiverBC:

Picky, no that's not picky, this is picky HDD(D)° MM.MMM"

Ya forgot the minutes symbol ", very important in making a written coordinate unambiguous icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:

Ya forgot the minutes symbol ", very important in making a written coordinate unambiguous icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

Actually it should be HDD(D)° MM.MMM' . The minute symbol is a single apostrophe, and not double which is seconds. icon_wink.gif

Tryin to be reaaally picky,

quote:

Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

Actually it should be HDD(D)° MM.MMM' . The minute symbol is a single apostrophe, and not double which is seconds. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by chloew:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, that's not being reaaaaaly picky that's just being correct. Geez what was I thinking icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by chloew:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, that's not being reaaaaaly picky that's just being correct. Geez what was I thinking icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:

What's H - hemisphere? Examples?

Alan

Well it's not entirely just the hemisphere but when applied to latitude it does (N)orth or (S)outh but with longitude then it's nothing to do with the hemisphere but (E)ast or (w)est.

Examples S23° 50.734', E145° 10.289' could also be written (and mean the same) as 23° 50.734'S, 145° 10.289'E or -23° 50.734', +145° 10.289'.

Maybe the "H" would best be written as a "Q" in that type of generic format.

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:

What's H - hemisphere? Examples?

Alan

Well it's not entirely just the hemisphere but when applied to latitude it does (N)orth or (S)outh but with longitude then it's nothing to do with the hemisphere but (E)ast or (w)est.

Examples S23° 50.734', E145° 10.289' could also be written (and mean the same) as 23° 50.734'S, 145° 10.289'E or -23° 50.734', +145° 10.289'.

Maybe the "H" would best be written as a "Q" in that type of generic format.

Cheers, Kerry.

Wow that was one bad post I made. I guess I should prof-read and think about my answers more. Thanks guys for correcting my bone headed mistake. Hopefully I did not lead the original poster to far down the wrong path before he figured out my answer was cracked.

Thanks for the correction

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote