New cache hider - advice needed

Toyguy

After finding a few, I've just hidden my first cache and am waiting for it to appear publicly.

For you veteran hiders, how often do you visit your own caches to check on them? DO you base it on time, number of visits or some other metric?

I know not to place food in the cache. How about things like a rawhide bone for Rover? Would that attract too much animal attention?

Toyguy

[This message was edited by Toyguy on August 07, 2002 at 09:33 PM.]

I try to get to each of my caches at least once every 2-6 months, depending on the number of visits the cache receives. More often for the caches that receive a lot of visits, as these are the ones that are most likely to suffer from "cache content degratation". Also, with more visits, its important to check on the impact the cache is having on the surrounding area.

I'd stay away from rawhide in a cache. Just because it ain't food for us, doesn't mean an animal won't find it appealing. If you insist on something for the dogs, try a rubber bone, or chew toy

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

try to stay away from anything that has a scent that some animal would like to eat, such as dog biscuits chew bones, make up, bath beads/shampoo and soaps, scented candles, scented whatever, etc.

you should also think about using ziplocks to check all the trinkets and log from get wet. in case moisture somehow gets in the cache, which is again why soap is bad, not only will and want to eat it, but get just a little water in there and you've got insta mush. or even worse the cache has soap and something made with lots of water, (soda, bottled water, bubbles etc). when it gets cold and freezed and pops open, soon as the temp. comes back up, you have another insta mush.

whack.gif

Thanks for all the hints. I'll be sure and avoid the rawhide bones and stuff along with the food. I am already using zip-lock bags to protect the cache contents and the Rubbermaid containers I'm using make a really good seal as long as they're put back on right.

I started assembling cache #2, and I have a pretty good idea for where I want to put it. Maybe this weekend...

just a comment on raw-hide: i used to work at a vet hospital and helped in many surgeries removing the raw hide from dogs stomachs. its not really good for dogs and builds up inside them. ever since having to watch that for the first time ive been letting everyone know who talks about raw-hide. thats just my opinion. (a good substitue are those hooves or pig ears).

take care,

northwest20 icon_razz.gif

just a comment on raw-hide: i used to work at a vet hospital and helped in many surgeries removing the raw hide from dogs stomachs. its not really good for dogs and builds up inside them. ever since having to watch that for the first time ive been letting everyone know who talks about raw-hide. thats just my opinion. (a good substitue are those hooves or pig ears).

take care,

northwest20 icon_razz.gif

I do visit my caches every so often but many times the logs will tell a story. Check the e-mails you get daily. I Have placed 50 caches although I've archived about 10 of them. Some caches I've placed are virtual and require zero maitainence.

One user in our area has only one cache placed. But boy does he maintain the thing. I mean it has the nicest things in it. Most caches will usually get fairly sad looking after a dozen or so visits but not this one. We couldn't bring outselves to take anything from this cache as nothing we brought measured up.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

How often I check on a cache depends on the cache.

I have a number of micros out that I only check on when someone posts a 'no find' log or describes a problem.

I am much more manic about my 'Great Caesar's Ghost cipher' cache (currently temporarily disabled). Because of the method by which this cache is hidden, I check it after each time it is found. I alos check on it every few weeks when it is dormant.

quote:
Originally posted by Toyguy:

After finding a few, I've just hidden my first cache and am waiting for it to appear publicly.

For you veteran hiders, how often do you visit your own caches to check on them? DO you base it on time, number of visits or some other metric?

I know not to place food in the cache. How about things like a rawhide bone for Rover? Would that attract too much animal attention?

Toyguy

Most of my caches are in fairly remote areas. They only get a few visits a month. One has not been visited for nearly three months. I seldom check on them. I *do* exchange email with finders to ask about the condition of the cache, etc. Of course, if a problem develops, I'm there as quickly as I can be. icon_eek.gif

I think a combination of virtual and actual maintainance can keep your visits to a minimum.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Toyguy:

Toyguy

Most of my caches are in fairly remote areas. They only get a few visits a month. One has not been visited for nearly three months. I seldom check on them. I *do* exchange email with finders to ask about the condition of the cache, etc. Of course, if a problem develops, I'm there as quickly as I can be. icon_eek.gif

I think a combination of virtual and actual maintainance can keep your visits to a minimum.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer