Uk Gps/geocaching Bargains Thread

davester

I thought it might be useful if this forum had a thread highlighting good offers that would be of interest to the geocaching community. After all, there's nothing like a good bargain.

I can start off with a quite excellent price for a Garmin Etrex, £66.95 from Expansys.com

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=90265421

Only 8 left in stock, but a great Christmas gift for someone who might like to dabble in the art of Geocaching!

And I have another two for you!

15% off the entire Paramo waterproof range. These are by far the best breathable waterproofs available. I've had a Cascada jacket for over 10 years and it's as good as the day I bought it. Higher performance than Goretex and much more comfortable.

http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/acatalog/Paramo_Clothing.html

And if you need a decent quality walking boot for geocaching through the winter mud, there is an excellent deal on at Millets online. £35 buys you a Sympatex (like Goretex) lined suede boot with a Vibram sole.

http://www.millets.co.uk/cgi-bin/Millets.f...ducts/081785251

oh thanks guys, £30 of 'Christmas shopping' later (one for him and one for me....)

I just love gadgets!! :blink:

As for gaiters, I have had them for ages, and when I can be bothered to put them on, they certainly save my leggies from too much mud. Especially invaluable if your caching companions don't have them and it's muddy! One more thing that marks you out as a 'normal' walker and not a highly suspicious geocacher.

And MORE bargains!

15 % off at Field & Trek

To claim your 15% off, simply shop on-line and click ‘add voucher’ on the order page and enter code CR35. You can also order on their 24hr order line 0870 777 1071 and quote the code CR35 at them

If you would like to use that one, you could help my Geocaching & Walking website, GeoHikes for no extra cost. Simply go to http://www.geohikes.co.uk and click on the Field & Trek banner on the right (you may have to refresh a couple of times to see it).

Otherwise, just go to http://www.fieldtrek.com

Gaitors! You missed them at Aldi for the princely sum of £1.99 a pair! They did cost more originally but no-one seemed to want them and the undimished pile was stilll there the following week. When they slashed the prices, we looked again and thought hmmm!!!

...and we bought them for when we cycle to caches - in the summer of course - and the undergrowth can do for your legs what some-one else reported happened to their trousers. Stout canvas stuff with poppers so that you can protect your lower extremities.

Gaitors! You missed them at Aldi for the princely sum of £1.99 a pair! They did cost more originally but no-one seemed to want them and the undimished pile was stilll there the following week. When they slashed the prices, we looked again and thought hmmm!!!

I got a pair over here for five euro.

However...

They are made from PVC and therefore not breathable, so when you take them off the ends of your trousers will be soaked from condensation anyway. You're better off getting a breathable pair. Our local Millets does 'Peter Storm' ones for 20 euro, that's no more than £13 and well worth the extra few bobs.

And MORE bargains!

15 % off at Field & Trek

To claim your 15% off, simply shop on-line and click ‘add voucher’ on the order page and enter code CR35. You can also order on their 24hr order line 0870 777 1071 and quote the code CR35 at them

If you would like to use that one, you could help my Geocaching & Walking website, GeoHikes for no extra cost. Simply go to http://www.geohikes.co.uk and click on the Field & Trek banner on the right (you may have to refresh a couple of times to see it).

CR35 voucher code not found :rolleyes:

They are made from PVC and therefore not breathable, so when you take them off the ends of your trousers will be soaked from condensation anyway. You're better off getting a breathable pair.

i got a pair of gaiters too (paid £10 for them!) and they weren't breathable either. Although i didnt find the trousers got soaked, i did find the inside lining of the gaiters had droplets on it - ewwww :rolleyes:

Gaitors!  You missed them at Aldi for the princely sum of £1.99 a pair!  They did cost more originally but no-one seemed to want them and the undimished pile was stilll there the following week.  When they slashed the prices, we looked again and thought hmmm!!!

However...

They are made from PVC and therefore not breathable, so when you take them off the ends of your trousers will be soaked from condensation anyway. You're better off getting a breathable pair. Our local Millets does 'Peter Storm' ones for 20 euro, that's no more than £13 and well worth the extra few bobs.

Millets also give discounts... They give me 10% off the marked price if I flash my YHA membership card at them.

And MORE bargains!

15 % off at Field & Trek

CR35 voucher code not found :rolleyes:

Should still apply if you phone them. That's what I did because the item I ordered isn't on the website.

EX79 works online, but has a minimum order of £45.

I have noticed that lots of people leave "Visited by.." cards in caches, some home made and some highly professional.

WWW.Vistaprint.co.uk will make you 250 cards for postage only, around £3.20! Ignore the fact that they ask for address line 1, adress line 2 etc etc and just put in the text YOU want! I have got a set coming with the union jack on them.

Hope this is seen as a bargain, and suitable for this thread.

Marvo434.

Gaitors!  You missed them at Aldi for the princely sum of £1.99 a pair!  They did cost more originally but no-one seemed to want them and the undimished pile was stilll there the following week.  When they slashed the prices, we looked again and thought hmmm!!!

However...

Millets also give discounts... They give me 10% off the marked price if I flash my YHA membership card at them.

I got some gaiters fer 10p.. cost of text to No 1 son.. funny green colour though.. hmmmmmm :lol:

However...

I got some gaiters fer 10p.. cost of text to No 1 son.. funny green colour though.. hmmmmmm :o

So will No.1 son provide us all with gaiters if we text him? If so, number please.....

:);)

However...

I got some gaiters fer 10p.. cost of text to No 1 son.. funny green colour though.. hmmmmmm :o

Check 'em out for Semtex and A-rabs before you use 'em, eh Moss ;)

Hiking Stick(s) at:

readersoffers.co.uk

... for £13 ea or £24 for a pair.

We always find ourselves without a good poking-about stick when we're out fighting our way through brambles and nettles. We usually resort to picking one up in the area but it is invariably rotton and falls to pieces while covering you with moss and black slime.

The site also has some very effective LED torches:

LED Torches

...at £12.95 for a pair.

Prices include P&P.

If anyone is looking for a decent GPRs on the cheap, I have a brand spanking new Garmin GPS V up for grabs.

It's never been out of the box and was bought in the States last week. The only down side is that it comes with the US verson of City Select v6. (Which is why I bought it. I needed the US maps in Florida last week)

You can upload maps from any of the Mapsourse UK/Europe vesions but they just won't autoroute. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction if you don't already have Mapsource.

I'm selling it for what it cost me - $320 = £168

Alex.

A new GPS bargain. The Fortuna GPSmart £65+shipping.

This is a bluetooth receiver which can also has a screen of it's own. Ideal for using in combination with a PDA for Satnav to get you to the parking place, from where you can put your expensive and fragile PDA in your bag and use the Fortuna as a standalone.

Look at http://www.bb-shopping.com/

I was just about to post this!

They also have a 'Cobra GPS100' ( conventional handheld ) at £49.50. Not sure about the necessity for 18 channels though!

They also have a 'Cobra GPS100' ( conventional handheld )

just found the Cobra at £40 including free P&P at Martley Electronics

Don't know if they are any good, but they look like an equivalent to the yellow ETrex.

£40 for a decent GPS is just nuts!!!

Agreed. Almost US etrex yellow prices. This doesn't appear to have a PC interface though, which is a shame, but for £40 ....

I'll report back on water-tightness when I've had a bath :blink:

Oh, is that that time of year already? I suppose it is New Year.... :)

You're only jealous because I didn't invite you too. I'm afraid there's a queue to rub my rubber duckie, as well you know... :)

SP

"Where's the soap?"

"Yes it does rather, doesn't it?"

Edited by Simply Paul

Another bump for another bargain.

A new geocacher colleague of mine was looking for a pair of walking boots and came across rather an excellent price for a pair of Karrimor KSB300 GTX boots.

A dadgum good solid boot for all but the toughest of terrain, I had the previous model for nearly 5 years and over 4000 miles before it gave up the ghost.

Both ladies and mens available too!

http://www.aktive8.com/product_detail.html...DF1530-k61-AW04

Bargain!

Another bump for another bargain.

A new geocacher colleague of mine was looking for a pair of walking boots and came across rather an excellent price for a pair of Karrimor KSB300 GTX boots.

A dadgum good solid boot for all but the toughest of terrain, I had the previous model for nearly 5 years and over 4000 miles before it gave up the ghost.

Both ladies and mens available too!

http://www.aktive8.com/product_detail.html...DF1530-k61-AW04

Bargain!

Thanks for this timely post. I've bought a pair for my eldest son.