TOPO USA question

Trees

I have been thinking about buying Topo USA or one of the other Topo programs. I know you can print maps from them, but, can you put the curser on a spot on the map and have it give you the location for it in Lat/Lon or UTM? We newbies got a lot to learn. Sure is fun thou. Thanks---Trees. icon_confused.gif

Yes, it will show you lat/long where your cursor is. I don't think it can be set for UTM, but I haven't checked that out yet.

I haven't used any other mapping software(so I can't really compare features), but one thing I like about TopoUSA is that you can hook your GPSr into your computer and it will pan your position and trace your route on the map. This is fun when going on a road trip and you have a laptop with an auto adapter. ** Of course, be sure you have a copilot to do the navigating, as we wouldn't want any distracted drivers out there, now would we? hmmm? icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

TopoUSA also exchanges waypoints and routes/tracks with most receivers. It doesn't, however, upload maps to your GPSr yet. Here's a quote from DeLorme's tech support:

http://www.delorme.com/support/

"Unfortunately at this time, DeLorme software does not create maps that can be stored on a GPS device. DeLorme does however make XMap® Handheld Street Atlas USA® Edition and Solus® Pro which gives the ability to use maps on a PDA which can then be used with most third-party GPS devices."

That's almost all I know. Period. icon_confused.gif

m icon_smile.gif

Mike "mighkel" Underwood

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

One the right side of the screen is a reference widow that show the location of the pointer. When you are over a POI or a road the name is displayed. Everywhere else, the coords are displayed.

The user interface in this program could have been done better. They tried to break the mold when the made it and in this case probably should have left well enough alone, but the program works well when you learn it and I have been very happy with it.

geosign.gif

Mine is for Idaho. Yes you can print maps from them but they do so much more. The NG TOPO GPS version will link to your GPS. You can manage way points, down load tracks, and routes.Then you can make them show up on your map at different levels. Mine goes from a HUGE full state map to the 7.5 minute topo map.

Yes when you move your curser it will give you Lat/Long or UTM and much more. You can also use the way point tool to make way points and name them. Then you can down load them to your GPS. You can make routes and down load them to your gps.

It has a Compass tool that is neat. You can place it on the map and "draw" a line to another location. Then you can see a "profile" of the spot. Say you have never been to the top of this mountain. You want to see if you can see to another that is close. The compass tool will let you see if you can do it.

The "profile" a trail tool is cool. You can use the route tool and draw a route you would like to take. Then you can do a elevation profile on it to see how much loss or gain you will have on the trail. It will also tell you the milage.

These maps have a shaded effect that makes them look 3D.

The one I have is super accurate and I highly recomend it. I also recomend that you down load the whole thing to the hard drive so it is totaly seemless.You Can also make a map and email it to a friend to print.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by mighkel:

Yes, it will show you lat/long where your cursor is. I don't think it can be set for UTM, but I haven't checked that out yet.

Just change the preferences to UTM.

It'll convert Coordinate makers right on the spot.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I have both TopoUSA by DeLorme and TOPO! by National Geographic. I can say without hesitation that the best one is TOPO! by National Geographic. If you are going to use it for hiking and general geocaching then it is far superior. TopoUSA is good for route planning and car trips but not much else. There are trails that simply don't show up on TopoUSA, the system requirements are steep (compared to N.G. TOPO!), and it runs sluggish even when your system meets the requirements. On my computer TopoUSA crashes while TOPO! runs very smooth, fast, and stable. TopoUSA is more complicated than it needs to be, and the interface is not intuitive. The only thing I use it for is route planning to the cache.

TOPO! uses actual USGS maps while TopoUSA uses DeLorme street maps with topographical features overlayed.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I'm looking at the REI website for the National Geographic Topo software right now, and I'm disappointed to see that each state is $99.95. That's kinda sad, but dang, seven CD's for one state (at least in the case of Nevada, the state where I live). Wow. Might have to pick that one up.

I have Topo USA 3.0 and I agree, the interface is awful. It's better than nothing, but I do all of my Geocaching planning on Garmin's Metroguide map software. That's where I plot my waypoints and download them to the GPS. I just TopoUSA for checking out the terrain contours.

Rob

Hey, RobG. While you're at it, check out Maptech Terrain Navigator 2002. http://www.maptech.com/index.cfm

I just picked up the New England & New York Region, & it's pretty impressive stuff. The region covers: NY,NH,VT,MA,CT,RI&ME on 17 cd's. $99.95 for that region. From the web site, you can download a demo of an area of the Appalachian Trail & play with the features. I also have DeLorme Topo USA 3.0 & 4.0, & Maptech is far superior. icon_wink.gif

"Gimpy"

Terrain Navigator software is a good investment. If you plan to spend many days outdoors, Maptech will enable you to navigate with confidence. The tools will print detailed Topo maps to your custom specifications and help manage Waypoints,Tracks,and Routes. Paper 7.5min USGS TOPO maps can cost $5.00 each.