The single most valuable thing I can tell you about Geocaching is the following:

Pantalaimon

If you could tell Neocachers the single most valuable piece of information you have about geocaching, what would it be?

PLEASE, keep it on topic, and try your hardest to refrain from the useless (and usually humorless) one liners. I beg of you. Your entire post should consist of your advice, in the format below.

Here's mine:

- Always bring extra batteries.

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

Most of the time a cache is just off a trail and requires very little bushwhacking. It's probably best for you and the place you are to stick to the trail.

Get pocket queries and go paperless. You'll learn to appreciate the power of having all caches pages with you at any time.

Wear sunscreen.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

After finding a cache, make sure cache container lid is closed tighly and cache is put back in it's intended location. Make sure it is protected from muggles. When I've done maintenance checks on some of my caches, for whatever reason, some geocachers move them to be easier to find. Many times too easy. Put them back where you found them!

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Use the bathroom before you go caching...

And, don't get so involved in finding the cache that you miss the nature around you.

Or bring TP just in case. icon_biggrin.gif

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

I know some people will probably disagree with this, but planning is EVERYTHING. Try to work out an average of how long it takes you to walk a certain distance (with help of your GPS that is) and figure how much time it will take you on average to find a cache, and throw in an extra five or 10 minutes or so to allow for rough terrain, and/or adjust accordingly due to the terrain and difficulty ratings on the cache page. This allows you to figure out how much time you'll probably spend at a cache, so you know how many caches you can hit in a day, maximize your daily cache finds...

And if all else fails, (and/or you don't agree with heavy planning) just have fun...

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

If you cache in any wooded areas, shower as soon as you get home! You can usually avoid chiggar bites and rid yourself of all ticks that way. Don't wait until 6 hours later to shower, I learned that one the hard way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

Print out the explanation of “What is Geocaching” from the web page and have it with you in pocket or purse. It will lend creditability to your attempts to verbally explain what you were doing if stopped by an officer of the law while on a hunt.

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

Remember caching is supposed to be fun. Set a time limit and give up on the find after a reasonable amount of time. No need to spend two hours in a mundane section of the woods searching for a camouflaged micro container smaller than a postage stamp if your goal is exploration and exercise.

Also, make your logs enjoyable to others. Waypoint any really cool stuff you find.

quote:

Also, make your logs enjoyable to others.

Even though I've already posted, I'd like to second this thought. When I first started my posts were like: Great hike, thanks.

Now that I'm more into it (and hidden 2 caches myself) I realize that half the fun is reading about others experiences. Especially on days when you can't go out and cache, it allows you to participate vicariously though the logs.

Resist the temptation of sticking your bare hand into a hollow tree or hole in the ground if you can't see what's in there. Probe with a stick or wear leather gloves. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Take Care,

Mike

''Oh Jersey, we salute thee. Oh Jersey, sovereign state. Oh Jersey, magnificent empire; magnificent home of the natural slob. Oh Jersey.'' Jean Shepherd

Beware of the poisen ivy!!!! trust me!!!!!

<table bgcolor="#ff6666" align="center" style="font-size:10pt;font-family:arial;color:000000;">

<tr>

<td align="center">

<image src='http://www.texasgeocaching.com/images/cache_icons/ivy.gif' border='1' align='middle' alt='Poison Ivy!' vspace='1'> Poison Ivy Alert! <tr><td><div align='center'><small>Generated by <a href='http://www.texasgeocaching.com/selector.asp'>The Selector</a></small></div> </td>

</tr>

</table>

FDNY260

Never Forget 9-11-01

Hide the cache the way you found it, or in a manner consistent with its difficulty rating (in the event the person before you didn't).

"You can't make a man by standig a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Use the bathroom before you go caching..

From a post months ago:

Never EVER take a laxative the night before a cache hunt.

Do keep a flashlight & matches/lighter with you at all times. No one ever planned on getting lost.

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

Wear sunscreen.

See, I was sorely tempted to do a "wear sunscreen" joke, but the fact of the matter is is that it's true - I forget how many times I've been out for a long hunt and forgotten the cream.

All larking about to one side, trust him on the sunscreen.

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

If you could tell Neocachers the single most valuable piece of information you have about geocaching, what would it be?

/QUOTE]

Bring your dog*. It's amazing how much you can get away with (searching undergrowth, walking in circles, peering at the ground, rooting through rubble, etc.) when you have a dog with you.

*Don't take dogs where they aren't allowed. A dog doesn't understand why you're putting it back in the car when it expected a good walk.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Here's mine:

No matter how simple or routine a cache sounds always, always take your full pack of gear to the cache site. Otherwise you will have to get a pencil, or trash bag, or your trade item, or your bug spray, or your...

Team P2

Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

In this Era you might hear,

That things are never the way they appear.

Be on guard at all times,

This my friend for ryming line.

Take all you need for a day or two,

Just in case you thought you knew.

Well down the trail I must go,

Another story to unfold.

Happy Geotrails..............

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

If you're placing your first cache(s), take the time to either find a good cross-section of others' hides first, or at least follow the advice of another poster on this thread and READ, READ, READ. Take the time to learn what makes a good cache (the hide location, the container, the contents, etc...and that means ALL OF THE ABOVE) before just putting one out in any old place in any old container just for the thrill of having someone log a find and auto-Email you a log.

The best, most well-thought-out caches are the ones that will reward you (as the hider) with the most praise in the logs, and the most traffic to your caches.

And don't forget to LEARN from your cache logs so your next cache hides will improve as you hide more.

I wasn't planning on adding anything to this as all the tips here are just great and right on the money!

Three very valuable things:

1. Carry the most up to date map you can get your hands on.

2. For the long hikes, if you haven't done them before, build up to them.

3. For the long hikes, carry a water filter or purifier. You'll need it to replenish your supply.

See here for my log that starts my story for yesterday.

Cheers!

TL

Hornet stings hurt like you know what. And did you know, once one hornet stings, you, it releases pheromones telling others to sting you? And if you aren't allergic, you can get at least a dozen stings without suffering any long term affects (other than this @#$&* itching).

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif