Sig Items...let's See Some Pics.

tnfishdaddy

I never really thought of them as a signature but I seem to be leaving fishing lures in the caches. maybe I should start making custom ones specifically for geocaching

Just be sure they are sealed in such a way that no one gets a hook in there finger as they dig throughthe cache, or yours will become a very unpopular sig item. <_<

Other than that, cool idea. Some people collect lures anyhow, so that would be an awesome one to display.

<_< I didn't take the time to upload pictures but we have two signature items. The first is a 1904 and 1906 Indian head penny which we put into a little baggie. I use these dates to honor the birth years of my Mother and Father. The second is a 35mm film canister which is stuffed with a small CITO bag. I used our printer to make stickers which give our name and encourage CITO.

P.S. Before some of you think a penny is too cheap, go buy a few 1904 and 1906 pennies.

I never really thought of them as a signature but I seem to be leaving fishing lures in the caches. maybe I should start making custom ones specifically for geocaching

Just be sure they are sealed in such a way that no one gets a hook in there finger as they dig throughthe cache, or yours will become a very unpopular sig item. <_<

Other than that, cool idea. Some people collect lures anyhow, so that would be an awesome one to display.

Don't panic, I use some of those little round hard plastic snap shut boxes over the hooks in my tackle box and put them on the lures I put in the caches. If I ever run out of them I will probably take the hooks off... can't have people bleeding to death for their sport.

The picture of my trademark chainmail ball dose not seem to be working so here is another picture of one.

61bb07e2-779a-4edf-8bf1-8487763b1104.jpg

Also, here is one of my chainmail candle holders. I am planning on placing one of these in a cache this spring as a first to find prize

477d6cf2-63c7-496e-99c5-ef35ac5e8b17.jpg

Edited by Fergus
Not to hijack the thread but I don't think this question warrents it's own thread... How much do you guys spend on sig items on average?

I paid right at $2 bucks for the box of chips at Wal-mart.

Since I design for the signshop that printed the decals I got them for free. :D

But for anyone else, they have a shop minimum invoice price of $25 dollars and I would suspect theses would fit in that area.

Might be a little more to have them UV Resistant Laminated, but "as is" the solvent inks are factory rated for 3-5 year outdoor life in direct sunlight. So, I really didn't see the need for the laminate. Other than just adding a little more protection to the print itself.

Then I spent one evening putting the decals on while watching TV.

$27 Total divided by 100 chips comes to 27 cents a piece.

(Plus about 3 hours of assembly time.) :D

Pretty dang good for something that looks that nice!! :D

:D

Oh yeah, I forgot about another hour in drawing and creating the design for the decals themselves.

For me FREE!! ;):D

Anybody else $45/hr!! ;)

I guess if I were to do them for someone else, I'd charge around $75 for a box of 100.

Still that comes to "75 cents a piece", and that's still pretty reasonable for a custom one of a kind signature item.

D-man :D

grid_sig.gif

Edited by gridlox
Not to hijack the thread but I don't think this question warrents it's own thread...

Sorry my friend, as time goes on and you acquire more finds, you will realize how much sig item hunting adds to geocaching. You end up "stalking" cachers with cool sigs, re-visiting already found caches to see if they left a coveted item.

This is a topic VERY deserving of its own thread, and the many others that have been devoted to it.

I have a Collect and Trade Game associated with my SIG items

e1bb872f-becb-48ff-93fa-c3d579c83535.jpg

You can read about how the Game works in my profile. Use the "Postage Stamp" cards for a reference on the sizes. The smallest (Spongebob Faces and the Traffic Signs) are small enough to fit into a breath mint strips tin. I also have "Bookmark WILDCARDS" which are each one of a kind and are used while I'm on trips, or for special situations. They= Gamecards cost about 1.5 to 10 cents each to make but take a lot of work and can lead to prizes with a value up to about $10, also made by me.

They seem to be enjoyed by most teams that have found them, especially the winning teams!

I've heard other cachers say that about $1.00 is a good price range to shoot for when coming up with your item.

Not to hijack the thread but I don't think this question warrents it's own thread...

Sorry my friend, as time goes on and you acquire more finds, you will realize how much sig item hunting adds to geocaching. You end up "stalking" cachers with cool sigs, re-visiting already found caches to see if they left a coveted item.

This is a topic VERY deserving of its own thread, and the many others that have been devoted to it.

I think he meant that the cost question didn't deserve it's own separate thread.

OT, I use the same wooden nickels as Team Silver, I just stamp my own with a stamp that Sissy-n-CR made for me, a circle with "Arlington" curved across the top, Spencersb in the middle, and "Tennessee" curved across the bottom. They come out to about $.13 each.

I have made several buttons I will be using as trade items and I'm still working on one that I will use as a sig item.

268303671zZpmqU_ph.jpg

QUOTE]I have made several buttons I will be using as trade items and I'm still working on one that I will use as a sig item.

What size are those bottons? I really like the "Signal" style

The buttons I make are 2 1/4 inch.

If you do a yahoo search for Mr. Button you can order the supplies and do some for yourself or hit some of the caches I'm raiding this coming weekend!

Ok, I finally have photos of our sig item......lets see if Im smart enough to post them.

The tokens come in many different colors. We stamp them ourselves with our team name, an animal track on one side, and a petroglyph on the other side. We have many different stamps and each token is different. The large one is about 2 inches in diameter. The smaller one (not pictured) is an inch and a half. That one has our team name on one side, with a smaller glyph or animal track on the other.

376cea77-8027-4664-9db3-ed3a8e7d0450.jpg

One side, with our team name. (Image is twice the size of the actual token.)

5028718b-8e11-440c-ba39-4f14410155fd.jpg

The other side with a petroglyph design.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Someone asked about cost...

Raw wood tokens, 30 cents each for small ones, to 75 cents each for the larger one. Paint, a dollar at the craft store. Sealant a dollar at the craft store. Sealant and paint will make about 30 of them. The stamps are the expensive part. Team name stamps totaled about $40-$50. The individual stamps range from $3-8 each. We do not make too many tokens of each stamp design. Each token will take 4 days to make, with painting, sealing and drying of each coat. How much does each token cost after all expenses? A large token might cost $1.50-$2.00 when all is factored in. A smaller token might cost a dollar.

Hi Gang,

My signature item for 2005 is a 'handmade' zipper pull which glows in the dark. Since I travel for a living, it was important to have something light, non-metallic (airport security), kid friendly, and somewhat useful. These will fit in most micros and minis. I'm still scouting out some custom beads, but this is the current model. I'd be happy to mail some in trade, or to events on request.

There was a question about cost - these are less than 20 cents and fun to make!

I'm still working on a FTF, or really 'good' signature item for those epic caches out there. There are certainly some amazing signature items around...

Happy Caching!

8d9d3d72-f601-4cdc-946f-07c436afce9a.jpg

Lthrwrk - very nice concha sig items!!

prize for 5? the links to hook them together in a short strap, to add to their GPS's "leash". (Do people have their GPS on a string so doesnt' get lost? Don't have one yet, pencil in pocket....) When dogsledding, I always had a string to my camera from the sled, so it bounced instead of getting lost ! ;)

For (15) they could make a belt??!! hee hee...

Here's what I finally came up with...for now...

SigItem.jpg

It's a velveteen pouch with 3 "Elfstones" inside. There are 3 different colors of 'drawstrings'...red for normal items, silver for items that are traded or swapped, and gold for 'milestone' finds.

And the cards attached to each version are different. Numbered for normal, personalized for trades and swaps, and the milestone number for those.

Edited by Allanon
Fergus -

I've been toying with the idea of leaving chainmail keychains and chainmail/captive marble zipper pulls as a sig item but seek your permission first. Don't want to be stepping on your toes as you've already got the chainmail market here :huh:

jpkc01.jpg

By all means, please do it. I would like to see more people making chainmail stuff to leave in caches. Besides, I don't think you live anywhere near me so this will give geocachers in your area a chance to find chainmail.

:(;):(;)

Umm... Ummm...

(dragging toe in dirt)

I've had a few of you guys contact me about trading my sig items for yours.

I know I've sent out a few of them, but there are a few that I haven't sent yet.

There is a good reason.

I don't know who you are. ;)

When I recieved your packages, I marked off that I'd recived them from a list of contacts that I had wrote down on a notepad from your emails.

And tossed the shipping packages.

I was planning on sending the remaining trades out in one trip to the USPS office the next time I went.

But... I've misplaced the list.

Ummm... yeah, I've deleted the emails too.bash.gif

If you've contacted me about trading and I haven't sent them out to you yet could you please contact me by email and send your contact info to me again please.

Thanks! ;)

Sorry B)

D-man :P