Hiking Boots Revisited

RocketMan

With X-Mas coming up, I am asking for some new hiking boots. I want to get something better than what I have now, but I have no idea what is considered a good boot. Which boots do you prefer?

Looking at REI, here is their selection.

This one looks nice, but it’s not cheap.

708418_1800.jpg

P.S. – For those thinking “oh no, not another thread about hiking boots,” don’t bother to read on.

Thanks to those who have responded so far (I guess digital cameras are more interesting to talk about than hiking boots - oh well). I did a little Googling and I found a site that has some reviews. Here is the page for medium weight boots. You can click on the links at the top for reviews on other types of boots. RM

Edit: The reviews are somewhat limited, but the site is still interesting.

Edited by Rocket Man

I had heel surgery last spring after wearing out the achilles and bone. Also have a little neuropathy in the foot so I appreciate comfortable hiking boots, but don't have a lot of money to waste on names rather than performance. That being said, The Brahma boots that I bought at Walmart are perhaps the most comfortable shoes/boots that I've had. The waterproofing comes in handy for those sloppy trails. Best of all, they cost only $30.

For several years, I have worn boots by a company called Hi-Tec. Not a particularly high-end sounding name, but they make very good boots at an affordable price. I have hiked many 10+ milers with a heavy pack. You can see several types on the website of campmor.com

PS -- if you are going to use them for serious hiking, and especially if you plan on carrying a heavy pack, give careful attention to the insoles.

Edited by hikemeister

I have had a pair of ASOLO AFX boots for years and they will probably last me for several more. I put a lot of miles on those boots and they still feel good. They don't make them anymore but these are probably their replacement. It's been my experience that one peice leather boots like these are the most waterproof you can get remember seams and stitching leak.

Hikemeister brought up a very good point there is a difference between backpacking and day hiking boots. Backpacking boot are usually a bit stiffer and offer more support hen you are carrying a heavy pack. You might want to check out Backpacker they usually have a lot of good reviews.

For several years, I have worn boots by a company called Hi-Tec. Not a particularly high-end sounding name, but they make very good boots at an affordable price. I have hiked many 10+ milers with a heavy pack. You can see several types on the website of campmor.com

I've used a few brands of boots myself, and I also wear hiking boots to work every day. Hi-tec boots always seem to fit my feet very well and they're not terribly expensive. I recently bought an all-leather, waterproof pair for work for about $75. I've also had good experiences with EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) brand of boots. Unfortunately, they closed their Colorado Springs store, so I have to drive to Denver now if I want those boots. :anicute:

Like any other shoes, however, boots will fit different people's feet differently. One person's favorite brand may feel horrible on someone else.

Good luck with your search.

Its hard to recommend hiking boots because a pair of boots that I might find to be great could be living hell on your feet. You see many people, even in this thread, saying "You have to get xyz boots, they are fantastic". They may be for that person, but every brand of boot is designed to fit a certain type of foot. Some brands are better for narrow feet, some are great for high volume feet, etc...

First, do not buy mail order, unless you know that the boots you are buying will fit your foot. Mail order is a great way to save money. Sierra Trading Post is an excellent place to go for great prices on hiking boots, IF you know what you are looking for. A boot is not a great deal if it gives you blisters and hurts your feet.

The key is to buy a quality boot from a quality bootmaker. One person here was espousing $30 Walmart boots. Yeah, they work fine for a while, until the soles come off when you're 10 miles from your car (it happened to a friend). Some quality bootmakers are Asolo, Lowa, Merrell, Rachlie, Vasque, LL Bean, Scarpa, Technica, Salomon, La Sportva, Montrail, Alcio, Zamberlan and Dunham. Choose a boot from one of these brands that fits YOU and you can't go wrong.

You will need to go to an outdoors store that has a knowedgable staff of bootfitters. Avoid the chains like Dicks and Sports Authority, where you're likely to get a high school kid whose only experience with a backpack was to carry his books, fitting your boots. Chains like EMS and REI are a bit better, but your best bet is an outdoors specialty shop.

Edited by briansnat
I had a pair of Raichle Mountain Guides that lasted over 10 years. Now I'm wearing a pair of LL Bean Cresta Hikers and I can't say enough good things about them. I think these might last another 10 years.

I also have the Cresta Hikers. An excellent boot. Waterproof (I stood in almost ankle deep water for close to an hour looking for a cache and they didn't leak) and so far, very durable. They have many, many miles on them and are still going strong.

That being said, they're great boots for ME and may not be for you.

I also own a pair of Rachlies that came highly recommended. They cost me almot $300. After fighting blisters I added custom insoles, which didn't help. After abandoning a backpacking trip 2 days early because my feet hurt so much, they now sit in my closet. The person who recommended them, still has them and absolutely loves them. Like I said in my earlier post. Heaven on his feet, hell on mine.

First, do not buy mail order, unless you know that the boots you are buying will fit your foot. Mail order is a great way to save money. Sierra Trading Post is an excellent place to go for great prices on hiking boots, IF you know what you are looking for. A boot is not a great deal if it gives you blisters and hurts your feet.

I noticed that the Sierra Trading Post had good prices. I will have to go out and try on some of the boots suggested here to see what works for me. They just opened a new REI down the street, so I can go there. Then I can check out the online prices on the same boots and decide if I want to buy them locally or online. Thanks, RM

OK, strange as this may sound...

I bought a pair of "Ozark Trail" boots at Wal-Mart for $18.99 and they have been great! I figured if they didn't do the job, I was only out twenty bucks, but I've been very impressed with them. They are leather and say "waterproof" on them. I've hiked many a mile and waded through some chilly creeks in these things. I'll buy them again.

I love my Danners. I bought my first pair of the Danner Lights in 1982 and am on my second pair. I have hiked all over the country in these boots. I also use them for geocaching and as a everyday Winter/nasty weather boot. The only drawback is they ain't cheap!

33000.jpg

DANNER LIGHT II MEN'S/WOMEN'S

Style: 33000

Upper: 2.0-2.2 Full-Grain Nubuc Waterproof Leather and 1000 Denier Cordura

Outsole: Vibram 148 Kletterlift

Bootie: Gore-Tex

Lining: Cambrelle Nylon

Footbed: Airthotic

Midsole: 4.3 mm rubber and 5.5 mm polyurethane

Features: Texon/Poron Dual Density Insole Board

Construction: Stitchdown

Height: 6"

Weight: 50 oz.

Sizes: Men's:8-14B; 7-14D; 6-13EE; Women's: 5-11Medium; Half sizes to 12

Last: 650

On the topic of boots, I got a pair of Doc Martens before they stopped making them in England. While out shopping I looked at the ones made in China. Most of the models have a cheap feel to them, synthetic tongues (probably uppers, too, but they like to use a particularly cheap material for the tongues when given the chance.) Of course, the price was the same.... :anicute:

Anyway, it seems every time I find a maker and model of shoe I like, they stop making them or substitute them for a lesser model.

I work for a utility company , so I actually get paid to walk around 8 hours a day. Hiking shoes is all I buy. Mail order is a good place to start. Cabela's has low end to high end hikers.The SportsmanGuide sometimes has great deals on hikers. I shop at a store in NW PA called the Boot Box. Many times I buy 3 pair of hikers at a time from there.

Shoes are built so differently, support, traction, waterproofness etc. All leather support better and offer better protection in rocky areas. Whereas, leather canvas blends are cooler. Outer soles offer varying degrees of traction. thick firmer soles will wear longer but in my experience are less effective on slick stones and other similar surfaces. Even tread patterns will determine how well the shoes work.

Generally speaking, shoes in the 80-150 dollar range will give you results that are needed to geocache. Although, I have bought those cheap bargains and have been surprised. Mostly, they see the garbage can in about 1-2 months.

As for waterproofing, Goretex is in 98% of the shoes I wear. About 9-12 months of wear is max before they start to leak thru and thats using oil to beeswax to silicone sprays to help in waterproofing.

This is simply my experience with hikers. Your mileage may vary.

I love my Danners.  I bought my first pair of the Danner Lights in 1982 and am on my second pair.  I have hiked all over the country in these boots.  I also use them for geocaching and as a everyday Winter/nasty weather boot.  The only drawback is they ain't cheap!

33000.jpg

DANNER LIGHT II MEN'S/WOMEN'S

Danners are made in the USA, but as mentioned above, they are not cheap.

My Striker quarter boots are awesome. I've had them for four years now and are still holding up. The soles are wearing down pretty good, but they still feel very comfortable with the original insoles. I also have a pair of waterproof Arcadias for those wet hunts.

Ready to hate me? My employer covered the boots. :rolleyes:

I wear the all-leather Danner Mountain Lights. And I've been wearing them for so long that I think my feet have formed to the boot. I can't find ~any~ other boot that fits well enough for hiking. They're about $200, and worth every penny. At ~500 miles / year, I generally get two years of like, then another year after re-soling.

30800.jpg

Happy shopping,

Bob

I wear the all-leather Danner Mountain Lights.  And I've been wearing them for so long that I think my feet have formed to the boot.  I can't find ~any~ other boot that fits well enough for hiking.  They're about $200, and worth every penny.  At ~500 miles / year, I generally get two years of like, then another year after re-soling.

30800.jpg

Happy shopping,

Bob

I would get those. I would rather pay a lot (never paid that much for a boot) once rather than a little several times and go through all that hassle.

Sadly, I don't see them on their website.....

Edited by SamLowrey
What ever you do, break them in good for the conditions you will be facing. I had a pair of boots that were fine for regular trail hikes but when I took them into the back country of Denali, went up and down several mountains, for a few days, carrying a pretty hefty pack, pretty feet did not survive!

Its not necessarily a matter of break in. If you are carrying a full pack, your foot will spread out more than it would if you are hiking sans pack. Because of this you might get hotspots in places where you didn't before. A good, supportive boot and custom footbed can cut down on this, but its a good idea to try your boots out on a short overnight trip just in case. You don't want to be miles away and develop blisters. And its always a good idea to include moleskins in your fist aid kit, just in case.

Edited by briansnat
What ever you do, break them in good for the conditions you will be facing. I had a pair of boots that were fine for regular trail hikes but when I took them into the back country of Denali, went up and down several mountains, for a few days, carrying a pretty hefty pack, pretty feet did not survive!

Its not necessarily a matter of break in. If you are carrying a full pack, your foot will spread out more than it would if you are hiking sans pack. Because of this you might get hotspots in places where you didn't before. A good, supportive boot and custom footbed can cut down on this, but its a good idea to try your boots out on a short overnight trip just in case. You don't want to be miles away and develop blisters. And its always a good idea to include moleskins in your fist aid kit, just in case.

Exactly. Unfortunatly, I didn't know this before hand lol. I did have mole skin and ducktape. It is the only way I made it out alive. Not really, but it helped a little.

All I care about is how well they are made and FIT!!! I could care less about looks.

I had LL Bean Cresta / Gortex and loved them but the fit was just a wee bit off. I'm currently wearing Salomons... I forgot the model name...but they looked like "saddle shoes" ....heavy, tough, waterproof and had a stiff sole with quite a bit of rocker. I love them. The ones I have now are my third pair. Sadly...I think they may have discontinued making them. Mine are now falling apart after three years of VERY HARD USE. (my boots usually last a year).

I'm now on the search for a near perfect fit again. Cost is no object...well almost.

I'm currently wearing Salomons... I forgot the model name...but they looked like "saddle shoes" ....heavy, tough, waterproof and had a stiff sole with quite a bit of rocker. I love them. The ones I have now are my third pair. Sadly...I think they may have discontinued making them. Mine are now falling apart after three years of VERY HARD USE. (my boots usually last a year).

I'm now on the search for a near perfect fit again. Cost is no object...well almost.

If you got a good fit with Salomons, stick with them. Boot makers generally make their boots on one "last", so all their boots have similar fit characteristics.

If you're looking for another pair of Salomons, check

this

and

this

Wow - There is lots of great information here. I went over to REI and tried on several different boots. I liked the Vasque Breeze style boots. They are lightweight and seem to be good for a majority of the hiking that I do. I got the non Gortex version because I really don't need the Gortex here in SoCal and I understand that it gets hot in summer. REI had a 20 percent, one-time discount for members, so I bought them there. Here is a pic of the boots:

708030_2006.jpg

got the non Gortex version because I really don't need the Gortex here in SoCal and I understand that it gets hot in summer.

Ahh, the first time you walk through a stream or puddle you might regret that.

Darn Brian - Don't make me have second thoughts. I just didn't think that the rare occasion where I encounter a little H20 around here makes it worth having hot feet the rest of the time. Maybe for my B-Day I can get some winterized boots with Gotrex. RM

I can vouch for Sierratradingpost.com. I can't count the pairs of hiking boots I have ordered. I have also returned ones that didn't fit me well.

I love my Asolos, Technicas, and Nikes. I have wide feet and have never found Vasques that fit well, but I quit trying, so maybe there are some for wider feet.

HI-tech have been comfortable for me, but not as durable and supportive. Same for Yukon.

I wear hiking boots everyday at work, so I go through lots of pairs, and have developed my preferences. After I find a pair that I really like after getting them broken in, I set them aside for when I have real hikes.

Another vote for Danner. I got a pair of, I think, Camp Pendleton's. Basically, they're an all-leather, insulated, Gore-tex lined boot...and they're fantastic. Never had to break 'em in. They were beautifully supple from day 1.

I bought 'em about 5 yrs ago and they're still waterproof.

GeoBC

If it hasnt been mentioned already, check out Adventure 16 outfitters. Thats where I got my Lowa Trekkers for about $220. They have a much better selection than REI, IMO. My Trekkers went with me and a 65 lb pack on a 9-day trip through the Sierras and are only a bit dusty. My feet didnt take it so well as the boots werent broken in......

I highly recommend Merrell's Sawtooth. After doing some research, I bought mine online at TracknTrail.com for $90. They fit perfectly, are lightweight, have excellent grip on a variety of surfaces and, best of all, there was no "break in" period. They felt comfortable from the first moment I put them on. I also own a pair of Columbia Titanium Ice Crushers that I purchased recently for winter caching treks. They're waterproof, well-insulated and quite comfortable. I purchased them online from EddieBauer.com, where they were sale priced at $79.99 (normally $100). Do some homework, read reviews, shop for the best price and decide what boots will best suit your needs. Good luck!

PS -- if you are going to use them for serious hiking, and especially if you plan on carrying a heavy pack, give careful attention to the insoles.

I have owned Hi-tec boots before.

I noticed an ad for Big 5 Sporting Goods with some Hi-tec boots for $22.00.

I bought a pair yesterday, took them out for a hike, about a mile, moderate terrain, and was pretty happy with thier feel and support.

Great deal for the low price.