first time cache placement questions

Kite and Hawkeye

Now that Hawkeye and I have found about twenty caches, I'm getting really interested in placing one of our own. Cache saturation is pretty high in San Diego, and I want to be careful to do something different/interesting. We live and work near a college campus that has some interesting places; there are two caches already on campus, about a third of a mile from one another. I found a site I like that's .7 miles from the closest cache. After that, though, I got ambitious, thinking it might be fun to do a multicache, because I know another interesting feature on campus that could possibly hide a microcache with coordinates, and I could tie the two together with a theme.

The problem? The microcache spot I have in mind is very close to this cache. The cache in question is somewhat unusual in that it's inside a building. The coordinates given are for the front door; the cache itself is hidden in a book on the 8th floor. The micro spot I'm looking at is outside the building, and highlights an area that you'd never encounter when looking for the existing cache. But, if one's looking at the two sets of coordinates, it seems that the caches are only about 250 feet apart. I wouldn't persist, but I think the spot I'm looking at is really nifty. Plus, it'd just be the first stage of a multicache.

What should I do? Would you expect the cache to be rejected if I submit it as-is, because it appears to be too close to the other one? Should I spare myself the heartache and just go for the single cache?

I was just reading a thread about a guy that got stopped and taken in by Campus Security while hunting a cache on a college campus. They appearently had been investigating some reports of suspicious activity and were monitoring an area, not knowing about the cache. They observed a cacher poking around and nabbed him and the cache. You might wan't to read that thread before you commmit to this. First off I would contact the university and let them know of your desires. They may have concerns about people going through campus from outside the university and accross the country. For the privacy, safety and security of the students, faculty and staff they may not want such access to the general public. It has been over 15 years since my college days but back then, the university I attended was pretty picky and serious about their protection of the students. Around dormatories might be an out of bounds and certain academic buildings and libraries may be of concern. It might not be worth it's effort. Now, if you are a student and are placing these for students only and are publishing their locations on a forum that students, faculty and staff only have access to than there may be fewer concerns. It was mentioned several times in the previous thread about a possible concern in the wake of all the recent kidnappings etc. that the university may be especially concerned of strangers poking around the campus.

The other thread was listed under General. I can't remember the subject title but It should be recognizable.

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

Now that Hawkeye and I have found about twenty caches, I'm getting really interested in placing one of our own. Cache saturation is pretty high in San Diego, and I want to be careful to do something different/interesting. We live and work near a college campus that has some interesting places; there are two caches already on campus, about a third of a mile from one another. I found a site I like that's .7 miles from the closest cache. After that, though, I got ambitious, thinking it might be fun to do a multicache, because I know another interesting feature on campus that could possibly hide a microcache with coordinates, and I could tie the two together with a theme.

The problem? The microcache spot I have in mind is very close to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9712. The cache in question is somewhat unusual in that it's inside a building. The coordinates given are for the front door; the cache itself is hidden in a book on the 8th floor. The micro spot I'm looking at is outside the building, and highlights an area that you'd never encounter when looking for the existing cache. But, if one's looking at the two sets of coordinates, it seems that the caches are only about 250 feet apart. I wouldn't persist, but I think the spot I'm looking at is really nifty. Plus, it'd just be the first stage of a multicache.

What should I do? Would you expect the cache to be rejected if I submit it as-is, because it appears to be too close to the other one? Should I spare myself the heartache and just go for the single cache?