What To Buy

dwayne23

I am new and have been looking at buying a gps but do not know what to buy. I have looked at the Garmin Vista c, Legend c, Meridian gold, Platinum. I do not even kown how to work it, but it would be helpful to me in hunting, fishing, going on trips, and Geocaching looks like it would be very fun. I went today to get a person to show me how to use a compass and a map. I don't know anything about this. Can anyone help????

As far as GPS selection. Most any GPS will work for what you want to do. Myself I am not a big fan of a color display, I would rather put the extra cost towards software, I also do not care for a built in magnetic compass, again for me the extra cost of a compass in a GPS Vs. a Std Base Plate compass for about $10.00 that does not depend on batteries is just a waste of money. Of the GPSr on your list this would leave the Magellan Meridian Gold ( Which is my Primary GPS).

Some of the things I like about the Meridian Gold,

1)Expandable memory with an SD memory card.

2)Ability to store way points (Locations-caches) in regional groups or sorted by cache types on the memory card

3)Buttons on top were you can see them

4)Terrain projections when using TOPO software

5)Large size but it still fits in my pocket

You've gotten good advice so far. I'll only add that for Geocaching, a little yellow Etrex ($90) will get you to within 20 or 30 feet of the cache. A fancy Garmin 76CS ($450) with City Select Maps ($120) and Topo maps ($90) will get you to within . . . 20 or 30 feet of the cache.

For hunting, fishing and going on trips, the maps are a must. I like the color display of the Garmin (I use a 60C). The screen is easy to use in any light. I think that the electronic compass and altimeter in the Vista (or the 60CS) isn't worth the extra $40 or $50.

Just my $.02

If you plan to use it mostly for hunting, geocaching, hiking, etc... small size would be useful. The eTrex line is very compact and great for that. But it really falls short for automobile navigation because its screen is so small.

One very good choice would be the Garmin GPS V. It was a great unit when it was $450 and I've seen it for as little as $219 recently. Its fairly compact, has auto routing and I think it still comes with Mapsource maps for free, while you have to pay extra on the other units.

I am new and have been looking at buying a gps but do not know what to buy.  I have looked at the Garmin Vista c, Legend c, Meridian gold, Platinum.  I do not even kown how to work it, but it would be helpful to me in hunting, fishing, going on trips, and Geocaching looks like it would be very fun.  I went today to get a person to show me how to use a compass and a map.  I don't know anything about this.  Can anyone help????

Two weeks ago I was where you are. What to buy? I went ahead and bought a fairly expensive one, but the learning curve is very steep. I know map and compass, topo maps, and can navigate with those. The gps confuses me. I am taking a class to help out.

You might want to do what I did not. :blink: Buy a small inexpensive one and learn on it, without all the bells and whistles...and then once you "get it" and map & compass you can buy a more sophisticated unit. There is a forum here to sell used units. You might want to look there.

At the point you are at, and I am still at....we don't even have enough knowledge of what we want to do and what the gps can do, to know what questions to ask...or once asked what the answer means....:D

On the otherhand...if you like a vertical learning curve this group is very helpful.

HTH

HWyatt

As HWyatt has said. All the bells ad whistles can be a challange. Before I retired part of my Job involved giving GPS seminars. The big mistake most people make when they buy their first GPS is trying to learn all the funtions right away. The best way to learn is by going slow.

1st. learn how to create a waypoint of your current location

2nd. Walk away from the location and Learn how to navigate to the waypoint you created.

This will cover most of your geocaching needs

3rd Go for a walk and set up a series of waypoints then set them up as a route and navigate the route.

This will cover most of your needs for quite some time.

I also do not care for a built in magnetic compass, again for me the extra cost of a compass in a GPS Vs. a Std Base Plate compass for about $10.00 that does not depend on batteries is just a waste of money. Of the GPSr on your list this would leave the Magellan Meridian Gold ( Which is my Primary GPS)

I'll respectfully disagree. With the built-in compass, my 60CS will point to the cache without having to move. I can stand in one spot and it'll always point in the right direction. On a non-compassed GPS, you need to be moving for the arrow to properly point in the correct direction. Until you've had it, you don't know what you're missing.

If you decide to go the Meridian route like JohnnyVegas suggested, upgrade to the Platinum to get the compass.

:blink: