$20 For New Garmin Geko 101 Gpsr

medoug

I just found this incredible deal on Amazon.com and thought that I'd share the details here:

$69.99 Garmin Geko 101 GPSr (on sale until ????)

-$20.00 mail-in rebate (must purchase in Dec. 2004)

-$30.00 if new signup for Amazon.com Visa card

+$0.00 free SuperSaver shipping available

-------------

$19.99 total

Probably the cheapest price out there for a quality-brand GPSr. Great deal on a GPSr as a back-up, for your kids to use, or if you are new to geocaching and don't want to spend much until you are sure the activity is right for you.

Doug. :rolleyes:

I just tried to order one of these for a friend. It seems that there is a minor catch.

You must sign up for the Amazon.com Visa card now, but then wait 2 weeks to receive it in the mail. Then, after you receive the card, you can order the GPSr with the $30 discount. I don't know how long this item is on sale at Amazon, but if it last until the end of December, you could sign up for the Visa card now and still purchase it for the $20 net price before the rebate expires.

Doug.

No, I hadn't tried to order myself until I tried for my friend today.

I did find this a bit deceiving on Amazon's part since their website implied that the $30 could be directly deducted from the purchase price of the GPSr when your order was placed. Instead, you must either apply the $30 to a future purchase, or sign up for the card now and wait to order the GPSr in 2 weeks after you receive the card in the mail.

It's still available at $20 net price, but now it requires some additional patience to complete the full transaction. I see that Amazon just ended its sale prices on many of their other GPSr units, but this one still remains on sale for the $69.99 price, for now. Even without the $30 card sign-up incentive, $50 after rebate is still a great price for this GPSr.

Doug.

Edited by medoug

Welch,

I think it would be expected that it would be applied to the Amazon.com Visa card since that that was the point of getting you to sign up for it. I figured one could always sign up for the card, make a one-time payment in full, and then cancel the card if it wasn't wanted.

Doug.

Edited by medoug
Welch,

I think it would be expected that it would be applied to the Amazon.com Visa card since that that was the point of getting you to sign up for it. I figured one could always sign up for the card, make a one-time payment in full, and then cancel the card if it wasn't wanted.

Doug.

could be, i dont know, I never have used amazon before... just pointing it out to those that might be reading.

And yea that could be done, thats actually what I plan on doing (if they ever send me a card :blink: )

Just a follow up to my earlier post, my new Geko 101 arrived just a few moments ago via UPS from Amazon. I ordered it Saturday Dec 11th and it got here in less than a week. Pretty quick...now to fill out the rebate and send it in. There is still time for anyone that needs one to order one. Merry Christmas to all and Happy Caching! :o

Craig

ps - I posted the link below for anyone that wants to take a look.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=photo&n=507846

Edited by arparkguy

Mine arrived yesterday. I bought it for a Christmas gift for my parents so I won't be used until next weekend, but it looks pretty neat. It is a little smaller than I thought and my wife was a little concerned that my parents won't be able to read the screen. Time will tell.

BTW, I skipped the additional hassle of the Amazon card and just went with the rebate.

Hey Pamgod,

Unfortunately, the approval of my card is pending. Did you do something special to get instant approval? (My credit is perfect, I've purchased from Amazon before, and I can't think of any response that I gave to make my approval questionable.) I tried immediately making a purchase after submitting my card application and it asks for my Amazon.com Visa card number which is something I obviously won't have for 2 weeks. Did you get your card number when you received your instant approval, or does Amazon automatically know your new card number?

Thank you in advance for any response,

Doug.

Edited by medoug

I ordered the Geko for my 8 yr. old daughter & husband to share. They used it yesterday while we were out. We also have a Vista. It is a nice little unit. It was just as accurate as the vista. The only thing that was a pain was you have to download everything manually. For the price though, I recommend it.

After receiving my new Geko 101 on Friday, I got to use it some this weekend. I couldnt be happier. The saying "you get what you pay for" is true...Sure I would have liked to have ext. power and computer connectivity but I didnt put that as high priority right now (can always upgrade later...). My Geko 101 does exactly what I need it to do and nothing more. It tracks well in thick brush/trees and even works well in the car...althought its not a good idea to try and read the tiny screen while you are driving. <_< Just pass it off to whomever is sitting in the passenger seat in the car to navigate. Happy caching everyone and Merry Christmas! <_<

Hi,

FWIW, www.outpost.com is selling the Garmin Geko 101 for $48.99 (+ tax + delivery is about $60). That's the lowest non-rebate price I've seen, so I bought one :unsure: I just got it yesterday and found my first cache 122 ft from my computer at home LOL

Happy hunting in 2005!

Todd

Just a quick update...the Gekos are fast. I cached yesterday with a friend and he used a Rino 120...could track satellites faster at startup than he could and I seemed to be getting better coverage in the trees as well.

Also mine was just as accurate as his for taking me to the caches. Not bad at all. Amazon still has them for 69.99 but the 20 dollar mail-in rebate has expired unless you purchased by 12/31/04.

Happy Caching in 2005 everyone

Craig

ps - You can also get them http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3545584

as someone posted earlier for 48.99. I've never bought anything from Outpost.com before but I bet would be ok. They do charge shipping I noticed. Amazon does not. Anyways Good Luck!