Nashville's Lame Cache Removal

Monkeybrad

Flask you may be right, but it is not a topic that I care to debate. However, I strongly encourage you to start your own topic where the use of the word "muggle" can be dicussed.

it was actually a comment on THIS topic. perhaps you missed the analogy.

it is also a comment on the apparent urgency of this topic.

i'm disappointed that i have to point this out.

I cannot see that there is much more to say on the subject. It would appear that there are no lame caches in Nashville.

I do however want to clarify things a little. I love the Middle Tennessee Geocaching community. I know most of the cachers in the area fairly well and have met almost all of them. I do feel responsible for improving the game here and I have worked hard to do that. I have placed what I felt were quality caches, I have worked with state and local parks departments to creat workable geocaching policies. I have worked to get geocaching reintroduced into areas where it was banned. The geocachers of Middle Tennessee know how passionate I am about this sport and that I am always willing to work for or with them to make things even better.

This thread has been conducted in the spirit of "A Modest Proposal", in many ways. I realize that offering to work to have caches archived is extreme and ridiculous, I also feel that it was the only way to make the point. For the record, had anyone come forward I would have been true to my word and worked for the archival of the named cache, as a matter of fact I still would. I think that my area has gotten a bad rap and that it is undeserved. As I stated earlier, I have found caches in 27 state, DC and Europe. I have seen alot of "lame" caches, but they did not hurt me, I was not diminshed by them. I have also seen many, many brilliant caches and views, etc. Those are the ones I focus on. When someone asks me about an area I have hunted I focus on the good stuff. I have never declared an areas caches "lame" even if they were, in my opinion. There is a reason, it is called common courtesy. It is rude to deride things that are freely given. It goes against the law of hospitality to say rude things about what you are offered freely. If geocaching were a paid service and you were sold one thing and delivered another I might disagree, but it is not. People hide things because they want to, the reason why does not matter. It may be to give back to the sport, it may be that they like to read the found it logs, they may like to fool people, it does not matter. The fact is that they have taken the time to create a cache for you to hunt. If you do not enjoy it, that is fine, but who are you to judge. Who is going to cast the first stone.

When you consider all the variables that go into making a good cache, how can anyone do it right every time. Lameness like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You see a beautiful and fragile ecosystem, I see a swamp. How do you over come that? There are as many different kinds of caches as there are cachers and that diversity is wonderful. I hope that it continues, if my area gets overrun with types of caches I do not like, I will either have to widen my searching area or broaden my horizons. I think that is the real answer. Rather than trying to limit what other's do we should always endeavour to expand our own understanding.

I hope that this thread has been an inspiration for deeper thought and understanding. It is obvious from many of the posts and from the emails and messages I have received privately that many of you "got it". I thank you all for your time and understanding. I only ask that you try to be tolerant of others viewpoints and remember that when you slam an area or a hide type, etc. you are really taking swings at individuals who have feelings.

Bless you all, may we all work to create greater understanding and tolerance in the wider geocaching community.

MonkeyBrad

I've personally have had a change of heart about "lame" caches.

As far as I'm concerned lame caches have a right to exist as long as they are safe, legal, and ethical.

Without going into a lot of the detail on my trail thoughts of how I arrived at this, let's equal caches to restaurants.

This is a good analogy because both offer up something for someone to "consume"--for restaurants it's food and with caches it's an experience.

To state the obvious, there are different flavors of restaurants just like there are different flavors of caches. The flavors aren't the issue.

The issue is the "service" or "experience" you get from the restaurant. It doesn't matter is it's 5 star dining (though very rare), fast food (common), mom and pop hole-in-the-wall (relatively rare), or national chain (somewhat common) you can have a less than satisfactory experience. The food could just suck, the staff could be rude, or you just don't like the food, but that doesn't mean the establishment should be shut down.

Let's also look at something else. Restaurants have to pass inspections and met certain codes in order to be open. This is like caches listed here has to pass guidelines in order to be listed. Just because a restaurant is open doesn't mean the staff is nice or the food is palatable, just like just because a cache is listed doesn't mean it isn't lame.

That being said, that doesn't mean an area can't get a reputation. Charleston is supposedly getting a reputation as a great place to come and eat. We do have a good number of finer establishments. Just like an area can get a reputation of having a high crime rate, that doesn't mean there aren't any upstanding citizens in the area.

Reputations are perceptions. Nashville could very well be the Lame Cache Capital of the World. That doesn't mean these caches can't exist or there needs to be something done. As long as the locals are happy with it, then that's really all that counts.

One thing that could help Nashville's reputation, though, is a list of "must do's," "Best of the Best" lists, or "Tour Our City" type of caches. (These may already exist, I don't know.) These lists could be linked from folks caches. A series of multis could be established to link similar caches or themes. A whole host of things could be done to help guide non-locals on hunts they may enjoy better. Just like creating a list of restaurants to try when someone visits a city.

Ummm, maybe Nashville is just kinda run-of-the-mill, and their choice of cache spots is limited? What if all they have is light poles? I mean, can you really blame them if their city doesn't have a whole lot of wow to point out to visitors? :grin: Maybe they're just doing the best that they can, and Nashville is just not all that ta-daaaa.

Ummm, maybe Nashville is just kinda run-of-the-mill, and their choice of cache spots is limited?  What if all they have is light poles?  I mean, can you really blame them if their city doesn't have a whole lot of wow to point out to visitors?  :grin:  Maybe they're just doing the best that they can, and Nashville is just not all that ta-daaaa.

Well, I KNOW the Nashville'rs will chime in, but as a vocal participant on this thread and in an effort to be even-handed, allow me:

Nashville is of course the Country Music capital of the world, so there are numerous sights to see associated with that. It also has a bunch of great Civil War history to explore. It has a varied terrain with great opportunities for "natural" exploration. It has a wonderful park system. It has excellent URBAN exploration opportunities beyond store parking lots. And, it has a fabulous weather climate for year-round caching.

There's a good reason why Nashville is one of the USA's fastest growing metro areas: Nashville's a great town, full of great caches that can be used to help a visitor explore it. I only wish one didn't have to filter through SO many of the "other" kind of 1-1.5 star caches we've been talking about here in order to be able to use Geocaching as a way to explore it...as one can in so many other towns in this country.

-Biloxi's Dave R.

Edited by drat19
One thing that could help Nashville's reputation, though, is a list of "must do's," "Best of the Best" lists, or "Tour Our City" type of caches. (These may already exist, I don't know.)

These lists DO exist. JoGPS or Monkeybrad will be here shortly to point you to them, I'm sure.

-Dave R.

Thank you Dave,

You are correct and there are great caches in all of the locales you have described. There are also puzzle caches so difficult that they have not been solved in ten months, there are multis that will take you on tours of battlefields, historic cemeteries, or just around to local haunts, there are traditional caches that require eight mile hikes in the hills, there are caches on islands in the middle of lakes, or in caves you have to canoe to get to. We have virtuals that will teach you the history of the area, we have micros that will leave you scratching your head saying how did they build that, or there is nowhere to hide anything here. We laso have several quick and easy caches conveniently located near or on the pavement for number runners or those whose limited mobility does not allow them to enjoy our higher terrain offerings.

Nashville has some of the greatest variety of caches I have ever seen. I invite you all to come and see for yourselves.

Edit: To include Nashville's Greatest Hits as compiled by members of the Middle Tennessee Geocacher's Club.

Edited by Monkeybrad

Greetings from Germany!

A few words - maybe OT: During geoWoddstock II in July 2004 I had the opportunity to cache in and around Nashville for 11 days, finding hundreds of caches. Although it has been my first time caching in the U.S., I was (and am) amazed of the great variety (! ! !) of cache types in this area. Thank you for that.

Coming from Europe, I found out that the Nashville cacher community has spread out a very fine selection of caches so I had the CHOICE which ones I wanted to go for. New ideas, tricky concepts (Brad, you know what I am talking of - as a member of the 1K club ;-)) and excellent cache maintainance - that is what Nashville stands for.

So, as an alien, Nashville is a city RICH of many many types of caches - most of them I liked. And the very supportive community there made the caches even more enjoyable, grading them up for me even more.

I admit, I am a Nashville fan. Happy trails!

I have avoided joining this fray until now. I wanted to let the full on boil reduce to a simmer before posting. I like the restaurant analogy that CR used, and have used it myself before. I feel I am speaking from experience since almost 30% of my few finds have been in Nashville. I do have a few other finds in a few other cities as well. I have visited this lovely city twice this year, much to the surprise of my non caching friends since they know I don't really care for Country Music. :grin: Why there the all ask me? And then I explain geocaching to them (again) and how Nashville has become a worthy destination for both quality and quantity. :D I have found many of the series of caches hinted at in this and other threads. I even found some of them a second time ;) as invited to by the owner for a GW2 bonus, because sometimes it IS about the numbers, and we were in the neighborhood looking for other caches. But after a few, that wasn't really too much fun so we moved on. Isn't that why we all go out looking for caches; for fun?

I LIKE caching in Nashville, and I think Nashville, and its cachers like me. :D

As I have posted in other thread that discussed these issues-I found my fun in other aspects of the hunt for some of these unmentioned caches, can we park close enough, how many can we do in one night, which lightpole is it from the other side of the parking lot while the van is screaming across it a 50mph at 3AM! :grin:

However I am now posting in this thread because there was this one particular cache that does fit the bill of what is being discussed here IMHO. This hide (which we never did find, but I did post my DNF ;) ) was behind a pizza joint around the dumpster corral with broken glass and trash about the ground and a poison ivy covered fence as well. During the five minutes we did waste looking, a homeless man went dumpster diving for his breakfast as well! :grin: Everyone ignored each other and focused on what we were looking for, After the time that it was fun elapsed we called off the search and moved on. I do think this one type of cache should be dealt with.

Yes, there are all kinds of hides for all kinds of seekers, but are we so desperate for locations to hide our playing pieces in that we should lead each other to trash strewn, possibly dangerous, no redeeming value locations? :huh: I don't think so. In fact I emailed a local hider with the same opinion after finding two more like this recently. I will not use the 'lame' label at all in this post, and will avoid using it anywhere. However I will label these hides worthless, and not fun to search.

BTW, I'll save you all the trouble of linking to this cache. It was disabled shortly after my first visit in April, and no I did not punch the SBA button then.

With so many people hiding so many caches it goes without saying there will be always be some hides which you will consider "lame", in bad taste, silly etc. I say if you don't like certain types of caches then DON'T hunt them! Don't do the shopping center parking lot hides! Don't log the caches you find in cedar trees! Boycott all the micros and the cemetery hides! Leave them for other cachers who may be less the purist or maybe someone only concerned with racking up numbers. Most of all its important to remember that Geocaching is only a GAME! A great game, a fun game, and a game which can easily become an obession but still only a GAME! So why don't you all just stop the bickering and go caching!!! :grin:

...there was this one particular cache that does fit the bill of what is being discussed here IMHO. This hide (which we never did find, but I did post my DNF :grin: ) was behind a pizza joint around the dumpster corral with broken glass and trash about the ground and a poison ivy covered fence as well. During the five minutes we did waste looking, a homeless man went dumpster diving for his breakfast as well! :grin:...

I like those caches. The world around us isn't always scenic vistas, and great technical hides.

It's easy to forget because my world doesn't intersect that world, but for geocaching.

After reading this thread, I have a few questions.

First let me state that I have not had the opportunity to cache in the fair town of Nashville, so I can't add anything to the arguement of the existance of lame/not lame caches there.

From what I have heard and read (much of it in this thread), there are considerable lightpole caches, dumpster caches, etc. dotting the Nashville landscape. If this is truly the case, aren't these types going against geocaching policy by being placed on private property without the owner's permission? Or have all of these received the blessing of the property owner(s)? I just find it hard to believe that Wal-Mart, or the local Pizza joint, would give their blessing on placing caches on their property.

So if these were placed without the property owner's permission, doesn't this threaten the geocaching community as a whole? I understand the need to keep most cache locations "quiet", but a proliferation of the same type cache in any one area seems like it could be trouble waiting to happen.

Dorkus&Co.

Edited by Dorkus&Co.
...there was this one particular cache that does fit the bill of what is being discussed here IMHO. This hide (which we never did find, but I did post my DNF :grin: ) was behind a pizza joint around the dumpster corral with broken glass and trash about the ground and a poison ivy covered fence as well. During the five minutes we did waste looking, a homeless man went dumpster diving for his breakfast as well! :huh:...

I like those caches. The world around us isn't always scenic vistas, and great technical hides.

It's easy to forget because my world doesn't intersect that world, but for geocaching.

I know this is scary, but you make perfect sense. That is to say, I agree. :grin::grin:

Having cached in Nashville for a few days, I can tell you that I have come across some of the best caches that really stumped me. I cached with many local people in Nashville as well as some outsiders like Greenback and Genus Loci. Some caches were very clever and others were no brainers. I think you find that just about everywhere.

Some expressed that the density of "thrown" caches are what makes these lame. However, I think that if someone wants to place a cache in a parking lot or under a rock off the road, that is their choice. I can choose to skip it if I don't feel it's worth seeking.

There are all types that cache. Some of them can ONLY find easy caches. That being the case, who's to say that their caching is lame? If someone has a mobility problem but, really enjoys caching, who are we to deny them access to the game? I enjoy easy grabs when I am in town for business. It allows me to hit a couple of caches after work before dinner. I also love the long hikes into the wilderness. I make the choice as to which caches I want to do.

Being from the St. Louis area, we have all sorts of caches. I consider some of the caches here, disappointing, and I choose not to do them. I have that choice.

I have cached in 16 states and have just over 1200 finds. I have skipped many out of town and have snagged some I wish I would have skipped.

To class Nashville caches as lame is totally ridiculous. I have done a couple of MonkeyBrad's caches and some were real stumpers! Too Many Secrets was one of my favs! I also liked the one at the end of the road we did when the law decided to visit with us. That was a tough one, especially at night. JoGPS has a couple of good ones that had me laughing! Homeless Bathtub was one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through!

I think that the people who cut down these caches should take a look at their own area. They can find good and bad in every cache. The only lame caches I have ever done at one's that have 2 inches of water in them and no maintenance for 3 months. These should be the ones people complain about, not a well maintained light pole cache!

I look forward to my next trip to Nashville. Keep em comin!!!

The Brawny Bear

St. Louis, MO