Nashville's Lame Cache Removal

Monkeybrad

This actually comes from another thread which was getting seriously derailed. Seversal people here in the forums have been very vocal about Nashville being the "Lame Cache Capital of the World". I have taken issue with this on several occasions as a proud member of the Nashville geocaching community, particularly since the jabs at my community have often come from people who have not visited it. After attempting to defend free choice for the umpteenth time I have decided to try another tack. Drat19 has often urged me to do something about the "Nashville cache problem" as a leader of the area. Well, I am going to take his advice.

If someone will compile a list of the lame caches in Nashville I will see what I can do about getting them archived, after all what do the owner's feelings matter. The esteemed geocaching experts of the forums have declared Nashville a lame cache zone. A couple of quick questions though, should we mark the caches with yellow six-pointed stars for a time before we do away with them, or should we just archive them out of the blue. Seem like a silly comparison, look deeper, it is the same thing. One group has decided what has value and what does not and has called for those without value to be destroyed.

But I was serious before, if you will list lame caches, I will talk with their owners about archiving them. Please list why they are lame, and why they should be archived, because I am going to ask the owners to defend them. No sockpuppet crap, no "Wal-mart parking lot caches are all lame", If you use your name to declare a particular cache in Middle Tennessee lame, I will work as your agent to facilitate it's legal removal. The area will be cleansed, and you will have had the opportunity to "serve the geocaching community". If you do not believe me, try me.

A couple of quick questions though, should we mark the caches with yellow six-pointed stars for a time before we do away with them, or should we just archive them out of the blue. Seem like a silly comparison, look deeper, it is the same thing.

I don't think this is silly. If it's a reference to what I think it is - I'd say it's tasteless and offensive.

sd

I never have visited Nashville and this subject is a new one to me. I have heard that the concept of hiding micros under light pole bases is from Nashville, and I like that method for micros -- so thanks to whoever came up with the idea.

A 'lame cache' might be a fun cache for another person, particularly one who is new to the sport. Who are these expert geocachers who proclaim that others have lame caches? I have created over 50 caches, and perhaps the first few were kind of lame -- it was a learning experience.

Perhaps ignore the comment entirely?

It is a reference to history, and as Santayana said "Those who do not know the value of history, are doomed to repeat it". Do you find the reference tasteless and offensive, or the comparison?

The example you find tasteless and offensive is very apt in my opinion. You have decided that "lame micros" should not exist. You have not created a clear definition of what is "lame", but you are all for forcing them out of existence. You have even branded the members of a caching community as "Lame-micro lovers". If we change the object of your hatred why does it suddenly become tasteless and offensive. Perhaps, your behavior is tasteless and offensive and you are just angry at me for calling a spade, a spade. But that is not the point of this thread. I started this so you could name specific caches, which I will then lobby to have archived as your agent.

And yes I am wearing a black shirt.

I never have visited Nashville and this subject is a new one to me. I have heard that the concept of hiding micros under light pole bases is from Nashville, and I like that method for micros -- so thanks to whoever came up with the idea.

Thank you for your reasoned response. Nashville however cannot take the credit for lightpole caches, it is my understanding that they were imported here from St. Louis by Southpaw who hid the first one in Middle Tennessee. Ironic, huh?

...should we mark the caches with yellow six-pointed stars for a time before we do away with them, or should we just archive them out of the blue. Seem like a silly comparison, look deeper, it is the same thing...

As I stated in my post on the other topic, my sarcasm was not directed at your city; therefore, I have no specific list for you. I'm also not so sure your offer will be taken seriously by others. If you truly think destroying or archiving lame caches and the genocide of the holocaust are "the same thing", you have my pity, but certainly no credibility.

It is a reference to history, and as Santayana said "Those who do not know the value of history, are doomed to repeat it". Do you find the reference tasteless and offensive, or the comparison?

The example you find tasteless and offensive is very apt in my opinion. You have decided that "lame micros" should not exist. You have not created a clear definition of what is "lame", but you are all for forcing them out of existence. You have even branded the members of a caching community as "Lame-micro lovers". If we change the object of your hatred why does it suddenly become tasteless and offensive. Perhaps, your behavior is tasteless and offensive and you are just angry at me for calling a spade, a spade. But that is not the point of this thread. I started this so you could name specific caches, which I will then lobby to have archived as your agent.

;) So if I understand this correctly... and taking your historical analogy as it was intended.. You are going work at having your area "cleaned up". To that end, you wish the owners of a certain style of 'cache to defend the tyep/location/size/style of their hide or have it archived. I would have to say that this, coupled with your suggestions of "stars" paints you in a very unflattering light! :lol:

Why get so worked up about it dude? :lol: It doesn't matter what you do, or what you say. There are always going to be people that complain about things. Nothing you, I or anyone (even Jermey) can do about that. A little thing called human nature.

Let the complainers complain. Let the enjoyers enjoy. I don't know the 'caches or the area, but I'm willing to bet that most of those "lame" micros have a fair few find logs!

I like 'caches. I like them a lot!

This actually comes from another thread which was getting seriously derailed. Seversal people here in the forums have been very vocal about Nashville being the "Lame Cache Capital of the World". I have taken issue with this on several occasions as a proud member of the Nashville geocaching community, particularly since the jabs at my community have often come from people who have not visited it. After attempting to defend free choice for the umpteenth time I have decided to try another tack. Drat19 has often urged me to do something about the "Nashville cache problem" as a leader of the area. Well, I am going to take his advice.

If someone will compile a list of the lame caches in Nashville I will see what I can do about getting them archived, after all what do the owner's feelings matter. The esteemed geocaching experts of the forums have declared Nashville a lame cache zone. A couple of quick questions though, should we mark the caches with yellow six-pointed stars for a time before we do away with them, or should we just archive them out of the blue. Seem like a silly comparison, look deeper, it is the same thing. One group has decided what has value and what does not and has called for those without value to be destroyed.

But I was serious before, if you will list lame caches, I will talk with their owners about archiving them. Please list why they are lame, and why they should be archived, because I am going to ask the owners to defend them. No sockpuppet crap, no "Wal-mart parking lot caches are all lame", If you use your name to declare a particular cache in Middle Tennessee lame, I will work as your agent to facilitate it's legal removal. The area will be cleansed, and you will have had the opportunity to "serve the geocaching community". If you do not believe me, try me.

will someone either confirm (or refute) my fears about what is meant by the 6-pointed stars? ;)

I agree entirely. My intent was to take the argument to it's extreme end. Of course, the genocide that millions suffered (including members of my own family) is not the same thing as the archival of caches. My intent was to show that the thought processes behind the two are similar. Many people have offered up that "lame caches" should be done away with, that they are trash, that they are a scourge on our sport. All of these people believe they are correct. I am too much of a pragmatist to know who is right. I see all sides of this and there are valid points on all sides. I have hunted "lame caches" all over the country, I have also hunted good caches. I have hunted enough areas to know that no one area has a monopoly on lame caches or great caches. I just ask that everyone take the time to think through what they are saying. One of the caches I own, is in my opinion (as a hunter) lame, but my 7 year old niece asked me to help her place it, she put it together so her "monkey" would have something to hunt. She chose the spot, the container the whole deal. As a hunter, just on its merits it is a lame cache, as a proud uncle, I honestly teared up while typing this thinkikng about it. So is that cache lame or not?

Many people have contacted me here and offline and asked me to help get a grip on the "Nashville problem" as a leader in the area. None of these people have been from Nashville, but have hunted the quick and easy's while passing through. My offer to lobby for the archival of caches is real. If you can define a specific "lame cache", I will work with the onwer to either bring it up to "forum standards" or to have it archived. Trust me, I know the cachers around here, if you tell them that their cache is lame, they will choose to archive it on their own.

I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers, but there comes a time when you have to stop and hold a mirror up.

...will someone either confirm (or refute) my fears about what is meant by the 6-pointed stars? ;)

Looks like the OP confirmed what he meant by his second post beginning with, "It is a reference to history" and ending with, "And yes I am wearing a black shirt", though historically, the nazis were known as "brown shirts".

And the Black shirts operated under Mussolini in Fascist Italy, which I think is actually a more apt comparison.

My entire point was to show the danger of declaring an entire group of anything as having no value. Whether it be Hitler with non-aryans, Mussolini with non-italians, the church during the crusades with muslims, or geocachers with lame caches, the blanket devaluation of anything is the first step on a very slippery slope. You should try to look at all sides of a situation, before declaring your position. Perhaps, I erred by slapping everyone with an obviously emotionally charged analogy, but I was hoping that people would recognize their own behavior and step back for a moment of thought.

The "get rid of Nashville's Lame caches" posts that have flown around for th last couple of days really felt like that to me, that is why I brought it up. Probably should have used you r mob ananlogy instead though, as I fear we are never going to have a meaningful exchange of ideas now. For the record, I am not now and have never been a Nazi or Fascist, I do not agree with or condone the actions of those parties. The type of behavior that they exhibited as a group is one of the things I fear most, which is why I pointed it out when I saw it rearing it's ugly head here.

Whoa - like what in the heck are you talking about?

There is NO way you can ever compare a microcache to a human life (or in this case liveS). Period.

I'm not sure where you're getting all of this from - I made a joke, get over it. I do not recall saying a lot of stuff you're attributing to me. I haven't been to Nashville - but I keep hearing from different people that go there about the lame caches. People are going to keep talking about this. It's not a conspiracy - you can bet that different people will bring this up again in a few weeks or months (probably somebody that never reads the forums.... like Myotis).

In reference to the comment I made - I didn't even notice that Nashville was mentioned - and it doesn't really matter. ANYWHERE that there are lame caches, removing them would be improving the local cache quality.

Definition of a lame cache? I don't have a clear cut answer - but I know one when I see one.

If you don't like the reputation your area has, you should indeed do something about it. You can bet that as long as Nashville (or any other area) has a high density of micros it's probably going to have a reputation of low quality caches (It is very easy to hide a micro cache and this often leads to poorly done caches. I'd say it's just as hard to hide a creative micro as it is easy to hide a "lame" one).

There are people in your area that don't like the reputation they have that do think the reputation is deserved. From posts here - most of them are afraid to speak up. Some of the comments geocachers in that area have made in defense of their city backs this up (If I recall, somebody hoped Myotis life was short - over a cache? You've got to be kidding).

I really haven't weighed in on this, especially not recently so I don't know why you're attacking me.

Starting a list of "lame caches" to lobby to have them archived is at worst a poor attempt to make a point and at best a bad way to go about solving your problem. I don't have the solution, but I'd think that encouraging people to not hide micros on every sign, lightpost, garbage dumpster and parking lot in your area would be the way to go (if it really is true that there's virtually a micro on every lightpost in town - I've heard this from a lot of people who have cached there). The only decent arguement has been they're for the mobility impaired - however you can hide 1 terrain caches in interesting places.

For the record, I'd be upset if I lived in Nashville and people kept suggesting that the caches in the area were "lame". However, if you pay careful attention - it's not always the same people. I have heard that Nashville has many, many fine geocaches BUT since there are so many that people find "lame" the good ones get overshadowed. I think several people have tried to make that point. There are tons of great caches there, but they get lost in the mix.

sd

If you don't like the reputation your area has, you should indeed do something about it. You can bet that as long as Nashville (or any other area) has a high density of micros it's probably going to have a reputation of low quality caches

Once again, it is stated that we shoud do something about it. That is the purpose of this thread, when presented with specific cases I promise to do my best to "do something" about that cache, whether by helping the owner raise the quality of the cache or by working for it's legal removal and archival.

I believe I have answered your other points in above posts, but if I have missed something, I will be happy to answer it.

SouthDeltan, I have no quarrel with you and I did not mean for it to sound as if I were picking a fight with you in particular. I was answering your question. Thhis is not directed at you, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Once again, it is stated that we shoud do something about it. That is the purpose of this thread, when presented with specific cases I promise to do my best to "do something" about that cache, whether by helping the owner raise the quality of the cache or by working for it's legal removal and archival.

Ok, I figured my comment was one of the straws that broke the camel's back - but I just wanted to be clear.

----

I really don't think a campaign to archive "lame" caches is the way to solve an areas reputation problem. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution other than promoting well thought out caches in an area. I don't think there is a quick fix to the "problem" (if you want to call it a problem).

It is true that blanket statements (like "all lamp post micros are bad") are bad things. However, if you have 50 or 100 (or however many caches) that are exactly identical in a small area - people notice that and a lot of them will think "What's the point? They're all the same and although the first one took me 30 minutes to figure out, I knew where the rest were before I got out of my car".

I'd guess a good place to start would be cache location (pun intended).

When I hear about Nashville - one of the first things I hear is "There are lots of caches in parking lots, on signs, on lampposts, etc" and "They have micros thrown out ANYWHERE". People like to go to an interesting location. If all of your caches are hidden in the same manner in any old spot - people aren't going to be impressed unless numbers are all they're after (not that there is anything wrong with that - but you can run numbers up in cool locations too).

Basically - one of the main things I hear when people say lame Nashville micros is that they was a complaint about the location. I think somebody said just because you can put a cache somewhere doesn't mean you should put one there.

So, instead of campaigning to remove caches that are already there - challenge locals to find interesting locations. I know darn well Nashville has lots of neat places - but all I ever hear about is the lampost by the dumpster in a Wal Mart parking lot.

sd

You are right, I agree with you entirely, it is just a game. Once again my enitre point with this "silly thread" was to show just how silly this whole thing is. If you are part of the Nashville Community then you have a vested interest on Nashville's caches and it's reputation as a caching community. If not, why make negative comments. If you truly think there are caches in Nashville which should be done away with, let me know, I will get to work on it.

I went over the top on this silly thread when what I probably should have said is, it is our community, let us handle it, and uh, please don't kick us when we are down.

I have been to the outskirts of Nashville, and I did some good caches there (and some lame ones). I have not experienced nor searched for multiple lame caches near the city.

So many threads like this come up (lame micros, not nazi metaphors!), that I was musing earlier about a system. I thought about how I could mark my logs with an asterix to denote what I consider to be lame. Would that help future finders? Maybe, but only if their definition is the same as mine. I also thought about ratemycache.com, and how that could work...

Anyway, did I have a point to make, not really.

SD,

You are right in many instances, but let me posit a couple of things.

First off, I have found all but 22 caches in middle Tennessee and the ones I have not found are relatively new, so I know this areas caches. There are approximately 1600 caches around Nashville and the surrounding counties, of these only about 350 would fit the bill as "lame micros". That leaves 1250 quality caches in a relatively small area. The problem with Nashville's perceived reputation is that when people come here, they "generally" will concentrate on numbers runs, no prpblem with that I do it myself when I am on the road. Unfortunately, the so-called "lame caches" tend to be in clusters. So people will go knock down 6-8 lame caches and then move on to the next cluster, while skipping the quality caches in between the number clusters. I do not know how to solve this without archiving the easy ones. However, I believe that this would be wrong to do. I do not believe that I have the experience or the right to declare a cache lame and ask for it to be done away with. That was my point in asking the "experts" to tell me which caches should be archived. I have found over 3300 caches in 27 states and Europe, but I do not think I have the experience necessary to declare a cache lame, so I asked the "experts" for their help. Many that I thought were lame, turned out to have interesting stories behind them, including one Walmart parking lot lightpole cache that I was sure was lame, until I found out the parking lot was built on the hider's family farm which had been sold years ago. All of a sudden there is something interesting there. I do not contend that there are no lame caches, I am sure there are, there are even some that I THINK are lame, but since I haven't bothered to get the whole story, I am not sure.

Having hunted everything in the area, I know the variety that Nashville and middle tennessee offers and I wish that others would take the time to find out for themselves. I often offer to hunt with people when they come to town or at least give them some do not miss caches to check out. I also try to place quality caches. That is how I try to help the "Nashville Problem". I do not think I have the right to try to force my peer's into compliance with someone elses idea of what a good cache is.

Are you one of those forum Nazis people make reference to from time to time? ;)

Since I once lived in Nashville (1975-76-yes I really am OLD) I don't feel like an outsider, more like a distant relation.

My suggestion is Don't try to talk people into archiving caches. Let them go. A lame cache to some may be a great cache to another.

If people don't like it they don't have to cache there. Ignore the ones complaining and enjoy those who say they had a great time caching in Nashville.

"Don't let the turkeys get you down"

I don't know I lived in Nashville in 75-76 and I am not that old. I see your point and I agree that cache archival is probably not the answer, but I have honestly gotten fed up with the derision that is regularly heaped on our fair city. There have been a great many cachers who have suggested that the lame caches be archived as a fix-all for the "Nashville Problem". I am just offering my services to them. As I have established that i do not have the expertise to identify "positively" a lame cache, I am asking these same people to do that part for me. After I know what the target is I can get to work. I promise to use any influence I may have with the owner of any cache that is reported to me here in this open forum as lame to either have the cache raised from it's lame status or archived and legally removed.

I think this is a fair deal, I do all the work, to make Nashville's caches better, all you have to do is instruct me where to start. There were lots of people who said that the lame caches should be archived, lots of people who have said Nashville has lots of lame caches, one person who even declared Nashville the "Lame Cache Capitol of the World", but where are those same people when I ask for specific examples?

If you had followed the two or three threads that this discussion has spanned you would see that i am just asking several members of the greater geocaching community to put their money where their mouths are. I will do the legwork, all you have to do is come out and declare a fellow cachers cache as lame.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well for one it could bite you in the Butt.

You run the risk of upsetting those people whose caches you will try to get archived.

It could divide a local community and cause major problems.

Ignore it. Don't feed the monkeys. just let it go.

If you get this upset then you are taking it too personal. Forget those who complain and remember those who enjoy your city. Grab a bag of Krystal's and go sit on the steps of the Parthenon and remember when they shot the movie Nashville there.

I personally believe that if you continue with this concept you will regret it and many fine cachers will get upset.

Those that complain are never the ones that truly matter in the large scope of things

Hang in there.

CO Admin.

It has already come back to bite me in the butt. Now I have forum folks who think I am a national socialst or fascist or both.

As far as locally, I am very active locally and the cachers of Middle-Tennessee know how much I respect them and how hard I work for the growth of this sport we all love. They also know that I will go to whatever lengths necessary to defend my community. I think they also realize that when it comes to putting up or shutting up, our detractors do not have the requisite equipment.

Plus the cachers of Middle Tennessee are by and large reasonable folks, if I were approach one of them and respectfully request that we either work on one of their caches or archive it, sinc eit had been brought to my attention that it reflected poorly on us as a community. I cannot think of a one who would refuse to make their cache better or archive it. No one wants to suck.

Notice how I said "requisite equipment" to avoid moderation.

i have an idea...

let's keep all the nashville caches, but move them to, say, nantucket.

then let's get rid of nashville.

Nantucket would not hold the bounty that is Nashville, even if all of the "lame" ones magically disappeared during the move.

Geting rid of Nashville, talk about genocide ;)

If someone will compile a list of the lame caches in Nashville I will see what I can do about getting them archived, after all what do the owner's feelings matter.

While I think we should ALL do whatever we can to encourage better cache placement, I think this is a bad idea. ;) I am hoping it was said out of frustration.

Congratulations! I believe you have created one of those rare opportunities when Godwin's Law occured in the first post.

Thanks for that reference.

Give MB a break, please. If things got a bit melodramatic, he has had to put up with a lot for many months. It was not a sudden thing.

1. The world will be OK, even if there are some things you don't prefer in it. 2. If we made you (whoever) the quality control agent for caching, then you'd be the one under the gun, and the complaints would only seek a new target. 3. If some "cache fungus" develops on lame caches and spreads to the entire world, we'll just start over, O.K?

I agree with you trippy, however this has been suggested by other's many times. As a "supposed" leader in the Nashville caching community, I have volunteered to help the same people who have suggested the archival of our "lame caches". I am just waiting for someone to step up and publicly declare a fellow cacher's cache "lame". The silence has been deafening.

We have had 30-ish replies to this topic, but no one has yet been able to identify even one "lame" Nashville cache. If the problem was as big as you have all been led to believe you would think we would have not problem coming up with likely candidates for the axe.

While I will honestly work on any cache that is brought to my attention, I do not think this is the answer, in fact, I am not even sure there is a problem, however, I am trying to offer my services to those who do see a problem and have an answer. I offer my services in good faith and have only been melodramatic in an attempt to show the members of these forums how frustrating it is for our community to be your whipping boy.

OK Monkeybrad, your wait is over!

- HERE IS THE FIRST "LAME" CACHE FOR YOUR LIST

I see you don't have any serious takers on your offer yet, so let me kick it off. I'm normally a lurker, but for once I'm not afraid to stand up in the public forums and point the finger!

I believe I am qualified to point out at least the first "lame" cache, as I visited Nashville this summer and found a good number of caches in that town and the surrounding communities. To be honest, I only recall finding ONE cache that I thought was definitely "lame". I checked on it just now, and find that it is still active. It is: This cache

Although you ask us to list why we think particular caches are "lame", I'm not going to do that out of respect for the cache placer. To do so would be a SPOILER (in my opinion) and I refuse to do that to any cache, no matter how "lame". Anyway, I believe the reason will be perfectly obvious to anyone who actually visits the cache, and I doubt any Finder could say the cache was not "lame".

Now it's your turn. Please seek out the cache placer, and as you promise, talk to him about archiving it; don't you dare let him do it! ;)

- GL ("serving the geocaching community")

Now that is funny...

I talked about that cache with it's owner about archiving it last night. Only because i cannot get him to change the name to "Lame Cache". I figure if I can get him to archive it I can replace it with one more aptly named. I was first finder on that one and I have a special place in my heart for it. It is a good example, many people would say that it is just a lame parking lot micro, in some ways they would be right, but it is definitely a quality cache in my book. However, to be true to my word, I will beg the owner to archive it, but rest assured if he does I will have a more aptly named replacement in place before he finishes pushing the "Archive this Cache" button.

Now that is funny...

I talked about that cache with it's owner about archiving it last night.  Only because i cannot get him to change the name to "Lame Cache".  I figure if I can get him to archive it I can replace it with one more aptly named.  I was first finder on that one and I have a special place in my heart for it.  It is a good example, many people would say that it is just a lame parking lot micro, in some ways they would be right, but it is definitely a quality cache in my book.  However, to be true to my word, I will beg the owner to archive it, but rest assured if he does I will have a more aptly named replacement in place before he finishes pushing the "Archive this Cache" button.

wait a minute! tick free!!! <_< ticks are everywhere this year. i see log after log mentioning them. any cache that is tick and probably chigger free is not lame to me. leave that sucker there. :rolleyes:

Edited by uperdooper
Congratulations! I believe you have created one of those rare opportunities when Godwin's Law occured in the first post.

Yeah, but you lost too. :rolleyes:

In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly.
Guess I did too.

<_<

Monkeybrad is very sincere about what is trying to do, but where are all the folks that get off on bashing the caches in Nashville not a single one of you have come forward to make a list of caches that are lame.

To say all light pole caches are lame is ridiculous, I have two, one you have to bushwhack to and the other one you will need special talents to retrieve the magnet key holder.

What say you, are you going to be the judge as to what’s lame ……….. JOE

After reading the OP and the replies...apparently I see this differently than most. Of course I'm sick and running a fever...so forgive me if I'm wrong.

I believe the OP was pointing out that a few have made a decision that the caches in Nashville were lame and they believe that their word is God and all others should believe them...since they know what is best for the rest of us.

I tend to agree with him. The locals in Nashville will be the ones to decide if they want to hunt the micros in Nashville...not people here in the forums.

El Diablo

I'm flattered. I'm the creator of the only cache to be named so far in this thread as "lame".

Monkeybrad has indeed previously observed that GCHXRG is clearly the most deserving cache of this name in Nashville. (Folks that really know me know why I object to this name for this cache, but so be it.) Cache page fixed.

edit: Huh. That lame cache that's been out for 9 months has been found more than any of my 2002-era stuff.

Edited by robertlipe