Website to PC to GPS?

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

So, at the website I see a GPS location and an opportunity to convert it to some other format (NAD27, UMT, or this EasyGPS thing), but how do I do this?

I connect my GPS via the cable to my PC? I download via the PC to the GPS device? What? Can I enter the GPS coordinates of a cache directly into the 'GO TO' location on my little Garmin eTrex by myself?

Any help appreciated!!

Guest makaio

The conversion of WGS84 (the format the coords are posted in) to NAD27 or UTM is strictly a personal preference. Most of us simply enter them as posted (in WGS84 format) and leave them as is. If you want to convert them, either click the link "convert to NAD27 or UTM" which will take you to www.jeeep.com 's conversion page, or simply enter the coords into your unit in WGS84 format, then change your units format to NAD27 or UTM and the coords will update to that format automatically.

Regarding downloading the coords onto your GPS (unrelated to the format issue)...you can enter the listed coords manually. Or, you can attach your GPS to your PC using the necessary PC interface cable and download the cache info (name/coords) into your GPS by clicking the "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" link. This implies you have installed EasyGPS (see the Software forum for info on obtaining this free product).

When you click this link, the cache info will download int the EasyGPS software running on your PC. From there, you can 'upload' it into your GPS.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 08 July 2001).]