Have Snowshoes Will Cache.

1stimestar

I know nothing about snow shoes really. I got these for free from a friend brand new. Almost any cache here at this time of the year requires wading through snow. What were some of the problems you had? Was it just not being able to find the cache buried in snow? Or was it something related to the snowshoes themselves?

Edited by 1stimestar
Just got some new snowshoes.  Ought to beat the heck out of wading through 3 feet of snow.

what kind did you get? I have the MSR Classics. I'm lookng to upgrade to the Ascent line though as they have the televator heels to make climbing easier. I'm know for my steep hikes. :-)

I have the same and love them. ;)

I have Atlas Series 10 coming in a few days. From what I've read they are rated well. I have a pair of Sherpa's that squirels got to, so it was time for a new pair. I'm looking forward to doing some snow caching, but know it will be a tough find. I have a metal detector, so that might be worth packing along. All the warm rain coming down out there isn't doing the snow pack any good I'm sure. I hope there's enough snow to try out my new snowshoes this week.

I know nothing about snow shoes really. I got these for free from a friend brand new. Almost any cache here at this time of the year requires wading through snow. What were some of the problems you had? Was it just not being able to find the cache buried in snow? Or was it something related to the snowshoes themselves?

Snow depth can be a big factor and useless hints. I 'm going to place a snowshoeing cache sometime this winter, but I will give the searchers spoiler photos and hints so they should be able to find it . I just want them to go out and have a good time. Definitely bring one of those avalanche shovels and a probe stick might be nice for poking around for the box if the snow's not too deep.

I have Atlas Series 10 coming in a few days. From what I've read they are rated well. I have a pair of Sherpa's that squirels got to, so it was time for a new pair. I'm looking forward to doing some snow caching, but know it will be a tough find. I have a metal detector, so that might be worth packing along. All the warm rain coming down out there isn't doing the snow pack any good I'm sure. I hope there's enough snow to try out my new snowshoes this week.

Funny...I was going to point out that a tiny portable metal detector would be nice to have for buried ammo boxes. LOL.

Yeah, it had more to do with finding a cache that wasn't buried under 4 feet of snow.

In the summer hiking and caching go hand-in-hand, I haven't found that the case in the winter in the mountains.

I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't done it well.

True.

A spoiler of a clue gives you a fighting chance. I'll be trying out my snowshoes this year but I'll be reading the clues first to see if we have a shot. "Under a log" won't help. But "at the base of the tree with the forked trunk" will. Now if only more clues were like that.

Atlas makes great snowshoes. My only problem with aluminum, is the build up of snow in wet conditions.

I have Atlas Series 10 coming in a few days.  From what I've read they are rated well.  I have a pair of Sherpa's that squirels got to, so it was time for a new pair.  I'm looking forward to doing some snow caching, but know it will be a tough find.  I have a metal detector, so that might be worth packing along.  All the warm rain coming down out there isn't doing the snow pack any good I'm sure.  I hope there's enough snow to try out my new snowshoes this week.

Funny...I was going to point out that a tiny portable metal detector would be nice to have for buried ammo boxes. LOL.

We (team phoenix) just picked up a tiny metal detector It seems to work pretty good. For deeper caches you might want to look into a pin detector.

2cents

I've been curious about how well the hand held units work. They don't cost that much and would sure come in handy at times. I have a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter and have only used it a few times geocaching. This DNF Youngs Creek Falls had me pulling my hair out. The metal detector was almost useless because there were so many beer cans and junk buried in the ground. This area was near the Sky River rock festival in 68. Anyone on here go to that? I was only 11 and going to a friends cabin at Cedar Ponds when we got stuck on the road in all the traffic and crowds. I did a test with my metal detector on a 30 cal ammo box and in the All Metal mode it will pick it up out to 33 inches. That surprised me. I know my detector works underwater, but have no idea what snow would do. Those hand held wands would work great on those nasty bison capsul hides.

I have Atlas Series 10 coming in a few days.  From what I've read they are rated well.  I have a pair of Sherpa's that squirels got to, so it was time for a new pair.  I'm looking forward to doing some snow caching, but know it will be a tough find.  I have a metal detector, so that might be worth packing along.  All the warm rain coming down out there isn't doing the snow pack any good I'm sure.  I hope there's enough snow to try out my new snowshoes this week.

Atlas makes great snowshoes. My only problem with aluminum, is the build up of snow in wet conditions.

The snow up here is dry, very dry. So I hope I don't have that problem.

All caches here must either be secured to a tree up high, of findable in the snow, or they get a winter rest for about 6 months lol.

I think I'll stop by Radio Shack to see if they have those little metal detectors. That looks cool and I'm sure I could use it a lot.