Paperless On Ipaq Pocket Pc?

MWPinSD

I asked this earlier on a different thread and did not get a response..

I have an old Palm that I have installed Cachemate on, and it's great. I like the menu it displays for the logs, description, etc.. and the fact that it allows you to decode a hint if you need it. However, my main PDA is an iPaq Pocket PC. I have it with me all the time on trips, etc. After a recent trip to Nashville, I figured "Why carry 2 PDA.s?".. So, the question is - is there a Pocket PC equivalent to Cachemate that gives you the info and would allow the hint to remain encrypted unless you really needed it? Would love to eliminate one of these beasts!!

Most of what I can find on paperless is specific to Palm PDAs, so I'd appreciate input.

Thanks,

Mark

I have an iPaq 3950 using PocketPC version 2002, so I can't load gpxsonar. I did load the older archived version, but the interface was very weak. GPSView could load, but it wouldn't load any file that I modified with GSAK. I do a pocket Query, then load it into GSAK and eliminate the caches I don't want to go after and then upload it to my Garmin 60cs. I could load that same file into Cachemate on the Palm. GPSView will open the Pocket Query, but will not open any file modified or saveb by GSAK. That means I have tons of cahes on the PDA that I don't want. You also can't delete or modify (add notes) any of the files. Looks to me like this is a case of the PocketPC being far behind the Palm platform.. A real pity.. my Palm doesn't operate well in cool weather - and has no backlight to see in dark or dusk situations. Any other solutions?

BTW, Spinner did the same thing. It would convert Pocket Queries, but nothing that had been modified by GSAK - even when saved in the gpx format.

Thanks for your suggestions...

I have an iPaq 3950 using PocketPC version 2002, so I can't load gpxsonar. I did load the older archived version, but the interface was very weak.

I had to dl the older version of GPXSonar too because my ipaq was 2002 and I initially had problems too. I deleted and reinstalled it a couple of times. Finally found out where I screwed up. After installing, I would open it to see what the pages looked like. I would then close it and dl my caches. But then when I tried to open it again I'd get an error saying it couldn't find the .exe file. Finally I installed the older version, dl a .gpx file before I ever opened it the first time, and then opened GPXSonar. I haven't had a bit of trouble since. Only thing I can figure (this is dangerous given my lack of computer-tech knowledge) GPXSonar needs a file to open or it will crash. Or maybe it works now because the moon was in the right phase when I loaded it the last time.

If you're already using GSAK, just have it convert your cache database to an HTML file, load it into your Ipaq and open it with Pocket Internet Explorer. No need for other programs and it works great! I've started using this on my Ipaq 3955 and haven't looked back.

Edited by MAG315
If you're already using GSAK, just have it convert your cache database to an HTML file, load it into your Ipaq and open it with Pocket Internet Explorer. No need for other programs and it works great! I've started using this on my Ipaq 3955 and haven't looked back.

I use an IPAQ 3955 also and I'll dido that! :rolleyes: The HTML file works great, and gives me everything I need including the last five logs if desired. You can also select to have the hint hidden, and then with one click it takes you to the hint that is already decoded. It works great and is simple too. That’s what a simpleton like myself needs. I think GSAK is a great program and for a small registration fee you have one super program tailored for Geocaching.

Edited by Oneyedjack

I have an antique (that's what an official at HP called it) IPAQ 3670 running PocketPC 2002. Using the older version of GPxSonar with latest version of GPSTuner. Did have the demo version of Mapopolis and would pay for the maps if I really felt I neede them.

GPSTuner is getting data from a CF card (Transplant GPSr) in a dual slotted sleeve.

It is a bit slow when I have to fire up GPxSonare with GPSTuner also running.

To save as html file and dl to my PPC I don't even need to use GSAK. Just to to "file" "save as..." and save as html. Then synch it to the PPC and open with the PPC IE.

Those are extra steps, you'll get the same info with GPXSonar, just copy the GPX file to your PPC and that's it.

:blink: