What If??

aragorn05

For it to ruin geocaching it would have to take a concerted by several groups in various areas a long time to pull off successfully. That's not to mention that it would have to be an inside job to continue for any length of time.

On the other hand, time, bodies, and patience is all that is needed--GPS not required.

What if you all minded your own dadgum business, place good caches in your own areas and quit worrying about caches you have never visited in a town you only know by reputation. I do not care if i do get moderated for this. I am tired of the constant slams aimed at Nashville by people who have not hunted here or who have hunted here, but went on numbers runs skipping over the quality in the chase for quantity. Are you all really this rude in real life or does the anonymity of a message board make you behave this way?

Nashville is a community of cachers, for the most part we like and respect one another, many of us are close friends, when you attack the community or speak callously of it, feelings get hurt. Trust me if I got on here every other day and slammed some aspect of your life, or said something bad about your momma, eventually you would get angry about it.

It may have been meant in jest, but there are members of our community who are considering quitting geocaching because of the mean spirited things that have been said on these boards this week. Some of you may applaud this, because it would mean fewer of the so-called "lame" caches. I personally, find it very sad that a rude very vocal few have ruined this game for a group of retired folks who were using this as a way to get out and enjoy their golden years. I hope you are all proud of yourselves. The next time you decide to attack someone or something because you believe your opinion is right, remember, Hitler believed in his heart that he was doing the right thing for the good of his people, as did Mussolini, as did the church during the crusades as did Pontius Pilate. A firm belief in what is right for the good of the sport, does not make you right, and when you follow that belief in flippant or mean-spirited ways you only show your own short-mindedness.

I am willing to with stand the flames that this will generate, but I want you all to realize that when you attack a person or a community in these forums, you r words have consequences, there are real people on the other end. Your callous remarks may be directed at a perfectly lovely retired grandmother who places caches and hunts because she enjoys its, and who is hurt very much when people who have never been here accuse her of being "what is wrong with geocaching".

How's that angst level doing now.

Congratulations MonkeyBrad I appreciate your comments and your resolve. I truly believe that all the rants in the forums never take into account the true nature of individuals intent or purpose. I agree that each of us have opinions on what is or isn't a good cache but until you are familiar with individual communities members it is unfair to pass judgement based on generalizations of a perception of that community. I realize that Nashville has a reputation as being the Mecca for Micros but hold your opinions until you not only have cached there but have met the people as well. I have done both and have no problem with Nashville or it's cachers.

I am sure after GeoWoodstock next year our comunity will probably be branded with the same reputation and held in the same reagard as Nashville and it's caching community. I can only say for myself that I will count that as a badge of honor. Brad tell those cachers to hang in there that the only cachers opinions who count are themselves and their community of friends all the bs from the forums is just that.

What if you all minded your own dadgum business, <Rant snipped>

;) Then you'd be all alone in here. Lighten up! You don't like people picking on Nashville, okay, I can understand that, but guess what I don't like? I don't like being told to mind my own business, especially when I think that this is the first time I've ever used the word "Nashville" in a forum post! Perhaps I could suggest being a little more selective in your wording? :lol:

Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the banana or what? ;) There was one mild joke mentioning Nashville. The poster even stated "just kidding", and commenced slapping himself! Take a chill-pill, dude. :lol:

I might also add; anybody who is considering quitting geocaching (as you claim) because of anything said (in jest or otherwise) in these forums needs to step back and re-think their own attitude. Geocaching is not the forums, and vice-versa. Most geocachers never visit the forums. As long as your caches are getting traffic and good feedback from that traffic, you must be doing it right, right? OTOH, if the majority of logs are nothing more than "TNLNSL", then maybe some honest self-reflection is warranted.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive! :lol:

Edited by 4x4van
What if you all minded your own dadgum business, place good caches in your own areas and quit worrying about caches you have never visited in a town you only know by reputation. I do

I have a tendency to post little and lurk a lot. I for one am glad that you are taken a stand here. The minor quibble and lack of how the Cache players feels in your area has very much to do with the game. If we as a cache community can't respect the other cachers how can we expect the outsiders looking in at us, see us differently. If we as a player think or assume that they are lame caches we do not have to do them. Respect the other player even if they do not play the game the same as you. If I ask you to play a game of pool, 9 ball, golf, pea pool or billiards they are all the same type of game played with the same type of equipment on the same type of surface. Who is wrong by playing the game differently then the one you play?

I can't wait to go to Nashville. I have found a couple of micros here in North Carolina that were copied from Nashville caches. All I can say is they maybe micros but they are hard to find. I love a challenge. Keep it up Nashville. Don't quit. This sport is a fun one because of the diversity. Lets not limit ourselves by short changing the efforts of other cachers.

Nuwati

What if you all minded your own ... business, place good caches in your own areas and quit worrying about caches you have never visited in a town you only know by reputation...

And what would be my "own area"? Lame caches are a blight on our activity wherever they are placed; and your fair city, though it may be overrepresented in this category, certainly has no monopoly on it.

Please note that I omitted the name of your city when I quoted both you and Clearpath. I wasn't directing my sarcasm at any particular location. I was merely pointing out the irony that some cache placers invest so little time, talent, and goods in their "caches" that even common thieves recognize them for the trash they are and won't bother stealing them.

Why should I care? Because every indiscriminately-scattered lame cache gives credence to the accusation that we are "geolitterers". And if some people get offended and quit placing lame caches because they read in these forums that many geocachers don't appreciate their efforts, that's fine with me. My grief is reserved for the untold number of individuals and families who joined this activity with great enthusiasm but soon abandoned it because the majority of the caches they found were nothing but junk.

small people, small goals, easily discouraged.

Kids do it a time or two and move on to other entertainment.

What nobody seems to facter in is that geocaching is fun. There are power cachers who haven't gotten easily bored of this hobby. Why does anyone think that the added kick of stealing them makes finding them any less fun? It was only a matter of time before a power cacher came along who enjoyed the basic hobby and also liked their version of the icing on the cake. My area just happend to be where it happened first.

what if someone wanted to ruin geocaching and bought a GPS and started finding Geocaches and stealing them!!!!!! that was just a thought.

There was one in Nebraska for a short while. The person got little attention and as far as I know has stopped. The caches have mostly now been fixed or archived. It was a slight annoyance, but in the end had little effect.

Several folks have said get rid of the lame caches, that sounds cool, but how do you do that, who would judge?

What facts would you look at? Read the logs to see if no one is having fun finding them, or see where they were placed, don’t think so.

These three cache I have posted them before for viewing and will again and you tell me which one is lame, the one that has been found the most or the least, the one with the most finds had more people having fun the way they wanted to, not by the way you will judge them.

If you want all lame caches gone clean up your on area and them come back and tell us there are no lame caches in your area.

SD said: Leaving the lame caches in places helps ruin the sport OK , so SD get them all of them out of MS first because they are lame ones we have found a few of them there.

The caches that have been dubbed lame here is this thread are the most found caches in the area, why “THEY ARE FUN”

Take these three caches for instance ,all placed within days of each other a year ago, and were there during GW2

Amongst The Holly by AbbysGrammy (GCHBQQ) micro, found 123 times 4 feet from the car

GCHBQQ

Chickasaw by JoGPS (GCHBA6) regular, found 33 times is 150 feet from the car

GCHBA6

Beaver Pond by moundbil (GCHBBQ small, found 13 times four mile round trip walking on nice flat trail in downtown Nashville

GCHBBQ

Looks like more folks had fun at the one with the most finds not the one with the least, guess I should archive mine, it must be lame hardly anyone visits it anymore ….. JOE

What if you all minded your own dadgum business, place good caches in your own areas and quit worrying about caches you have never visited in a town you only know by reputation.

<snip>

If you don't like your town's reputation, then get your community of cachers to start placing enough quality caches to compensate for all of the micros that are out there. Better yet, get them involved in archiving the truly "lame" ones.

A reputation takes time to earn and even more time to change.