North Midlands Meet (staffs).

one4zorro

A few of us have mentioned the possibility of a North Midlands meet for cachers in Staffordshire/Cheshire/Derbyshire/Shropshire/West Midlands and anyone else!

I might be interested in putting something together in the Cannock Chase/Stafford/Stone area, but could do with some idea of how much interest there would be. It would probably be early February, low key, drink, pub meal.

What do you think?

Martin

Actually although I posted above saying I'd be interested in a normal meet, I was also thinking about a GeoHikes meet sometime in the spring in this area. Who would be interested in that?

Probably would look at a 8-10 mile walk with a possible extension for the more hardcore people. I normally restrict myself to a circular walk but have some good linear walks with many a cache enroute with public transport links. Of course, if enough people are envolved a large taxi/minibus at the start or end of the day would be economical.

Thoughts please.

Edited by davester
Actually although I posted above saying I'd be interested in a normal meet, I was also thinking about a GeoHikes meet sometime in the spring in this area. Who would be interested in that?

Probably would look at a 8-10 mile walk with a possible extension for the more hardcore people. I normally restrict myself to a circular walk but have some good linear walks with many a cache enroute with public transport links. Of course, if enough people are envolved a large taxi/minibus at the start or end of the day would be economical.

Thoughts please.

This is getting a bit complicated ;)

As I am a big suporter of your site and would like to promote it as much as I can, how about we combine the two events.

Here is an idea. We use a GeoHike that has a pub half way. Those that want to, could meet up on the walk and meet others at the pub. In the afternoon we could then complete the walk. People that don't feel up to the whole walk could just join us for the second part.

Just an idea - what do you think?

Martin

This is getting a bit complicated ;)

As I am a big suporter of your site and would like to promote it as much as I can, how about we combine the two events.

Here is an idea. We use a GeoHike that has a pub half way. Those that want to, could meet up on the walk and meet others at the pub. In the afternoon we could then complete the walk. People that don't feel up to the whole walk could just join us for the second part.

Just an idea - what do you think?

Martin

Certainly a worthwhile idea combining the two. I'll have to start having a think about suitable places. I guess I should really go and seek out a walk on Cannock Chase, as that is nice and central.

My Churnet Valley walk would also lend itself very well to this, but is far too muddy in the winter/spring time.

For those with kids, I think the Churnet Valley would be a pretty good place for a meet., especially with the Churnet Valley railway linking much of the route. There are also plenty of very nice pubs and a lot of Forrestry Commission and Staffs County Council land (for easier permissions). If it were moved to late Spring, then I have no doubts that the nearby draw of Alton Towers might help attract a few further afield cachers too.

Certainly a worthwhile idea combining the two. I'll have to start having a think about suitable places. I guess I should really go and seek out a walk on Cannock Chase, as that is nice and central.

I am currently planning another cache for Cannock Chase - but this will be no 'park and ride namby pamby cache'. This will be hardcore ;)

The only problem is that in a fit of madness my wife and I decided we wanted to do 100 caches before the new year, so time is at a premium until January 1st.

Martin

I am currently planning another cache for Cannock Chase - but this will be no 'park and ride namby pamby cache'. This will be hardcore ;)

The only problem is that in a fit of madness my wife and I decided we wanted to do 100 caches before the new year, so time is at a premium until January 1st.

Martin

In that case you need this walk, a good alarm clock, strong legs, a good torch and maybe a bottle of your favorite strong spirit.

:lol:

I'd like to get to these meet(s) but two Saturdays in February are already taken - 12th and 26th.

If the Pub meet is not on one of those dates, then I'll probably be there!

As to the Geohike, I'd have a go at that, too. But I think it might be better to make it a bit later, with slightly longer days, although I did walk 15 miles on the Sussex Downs last weekend, so it can be done even in December (Unfortunately, I'd already found the nearby caches...!)

Bob Aldridge

Edited by Belplasca

I was having a good look at my maps last night and thinking about this one, and I did come up with a very good place which is cache free that could benefit from a good multi-cache trail. There are also a fair few caches nearby for those who want a longer walk, as well as a very agreeable pub, cheap all-day car parking AND reachable by public transport for those who would need that.

Tittesworth Reservoir

Not really got the time myself at the moment, but perhaps worth chasing up permissions with Severn Trent via the site manager? They are very keen to promote events like this and it would open up a fair few other sites for permissions if it goes down well.

Any more news on the Staffordshire meets?

(I'm thinking of doing one myself... of course with an extra twist of some kind!) <_<

MarcB <_<

It would appear that there are three of us planning something in the area, yourself, Dave (GeoHikes) and me. Do you think it might be an idea for us to meet up? A meet to plan a meet <_<

Cheers

Martin

Any more news on the Staffordshire meets?

(I'm thinking of doing one myself... of course with an extra twist of some kind!)  :)

MarcB  :)

It would appear that there are three of us planning something in the area, yourself, Dave (GeoHikes) and me. Do you think it might be an idea for us to meet up? A meet to plan a meet :(

Cheers

Martin

Sounds like a good idea. I think I need to see lists with advantages and disadvantages of all the places we could go too.

But then I'm too organised!

;)

I still like Tittesworth as a good area for an event. Perhaps a few of us could do a reccy run up there, and perhaps show the local ranger/manager what it's all about?