Where To Buy Quad Maps?

graveyard mom

I wasn't sure which section to put this in, but as it pertains to my finding bm's, I thought I would ask here!

I know that the quad maps for the Great Smoky Mountains can be bought at their gift shops. And I see them on websites for sale all the time. What I am wondering is, is there possibly a local place that might sell them?? Like the Discovery Store, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, Academy Sports, etc??? I'd rather not buy them online, but I'd like to get(and have asked for xmas!) for some local ones and just wondering what sort of places might sell them.

Thanks!

You can get them through the USGS directly, or from retailers. From the USGS Quad website: 'The USGS has private-sector business partners who sell maps and other USGS products. Buying from a retailer is usually the fastest way to obtain a USGS topographic map.'

Also, many larger sporting goods stores, particularly stores that specialize in backpacking, hunting, fishing, etc. usually carry a good stock of the regional quads.

Hope this helps.

- Kewaneh

Many, but not all, states have available for free download the scanned versions of the USGS quads for their state. These are called "Digital Raster Graphics" or DRG files. Usually the downloads will be available from a state GIS clearinghouse site or a university site. Google for your state name and USGS DRG.

The scanned images are in TIFF format, which can be displayed by most graphics programs. A warning -- these files can be large, typically 5-10 Mb, so if you have an older machine with relatively little memory, they may not be for you. Also a broadband connection will make downloading easier.

Several sites also provide DRGs for a modest download fee (about $0.50 per download, depending on size). That is one way to get files for states that don't provide them for free.

You can also download portions of quads from free sites like terraserver.microsoft.com, but I've found that terraserver seems to show the older 15 minute quads.

Here are two small samples of USGS 7.5 minute DRGs. The first is shown at full scan resolution, and the second is a 55% reduction of the same area.

Another advantage of the DRGs is that they are georeferenced, which means that with the proper software, you can determine the latitude and longitude of any point on the map.

DRG_sample_100_pct.gif

DRG_sample_55_pct.gif

Hi Mom,

One other thing worth noting here is this, just based on my experience, and other peoples milage may vary.

The USGS Quad Map Link which Kewaneh recommended is a very good steer as to where to get these maps, and the why of this is very important. Many retail stores, but not all, may bump the price up on these maps, and so that adds cost to you. Once you arrive at their store you may also find that they may not carry the entire State you live in, or areas you want maps for, and there is also the risk of them being out of stock. Beyond all that, I have found that generally, the sales help really doesn't know a lot about those maps aside from ringing up the sale. Been there, Done that.

At $6-8 per map you can see how 10 to 15 of these will quickly devour a $100.00, if not the better part of it. Especially when you figure in Taxes and fuel and lunch and all the time you spend driving around looking... Not to mention you will not have the whole state.

One workaround you may enjoy is owning the National Geographic USGS Software for the entire state of Tennessee, this way you can print out any map you want and you can Zoom way in or out, while never having to worry about whether a particular map is available. Another aspect of the software experience you may enjoy is that many GPS units will interface with this software and so you can either set up waypoints on the software and send them to your GPS, or you can up load where you made waypoints with your GPS and see them on your map. Plus you can print them with your added info and modifications as well.

Now if you like, you could go pick that software up at the REI store in Brentwood TN which is not to far from you but, you could save $20.00 by buying it from them online instead as it is on sale online right now. I'll let you do the choosing, but hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks! Those are some other options.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Rob

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies! I am mainly looking for the paper kind, as I want to put them up on a wall in our computer room. Plus I just have a thing for paper maps. I will definitely check around at the places mentioned-will probably get my hubby to call around and check first. The ones I am looking for are mainly around the main lake here, and there are plenty of parks and hiking areas, so hopefully the stores would carry the ones I would like.

Evenfall-thank you for the link for the software, I will definitely look into downloading that. Would me mighty handy! I spend alot of time on the terraserver and topozone websites, and usually end up printing out a page here and a page there. I love the thought of having it all available like that even if the websites are down or slow.

Thanks again everyone-and Merry Christmas to everyone here too! :rolleyes:<_<:ph34r: