Attention Geocoin Purchasers

fly46

It occurred, Originally, to Renegade Knight that it would be useful to have a database of different coin makers and their information on the terracachers site to help those of us who end up getting together to make coins.

So, what I want to know from those of you who have gotten coins made:

1. Where did you chose to order them from?

2. Why did you go with that company?

3. What companies did you look into but not chose?

4. Why didn't you chose them?

From those of you who have found geocoins in the wild...

1. Which coin(s) did you find?

2. How long had they been traveling?

3. How well did they wear? (Ie, is the finish getting bad? Is the coin somewhat unreadable? etc)

4. If for some reason you had to clean a coin, what did you use to clean it with?

You can either reply in this post, message me through the forums, or email me your response.

Thank you so much for helping us out! ;)

Moving this to the Travel Bug Forum, since I don't have the ability to move it to the Terracachers Forum.

lol.

I had put it in the regular forum because I thought more people would see it, but I guess it will work here, too. Besides, even though it's going on the terra site, it's extremely important to the cachers here since so many groups make their own coins.

I’m currently in the process of using KV coins. They were recommended by Blazerfan; I emailed a couple of other companies, but never received an email back from them. The forum that I’ve been discussing the making of my coins is here.

Geocoins

There is another company discussed there that some people have had problems with.

Pressed Metal did most of the state coins, some of them have the same back as the USA geocoins not sure if they didn’t charge them for the back or not.

A quick search on the net found at leat 14 coin makers. That was 5 minutes work so I'll lay odds there are at least twice that out there.

Once you undertake a coin there is a lot that goes into it and a lot to know. We just did one in Idaho and only scratched the surface. A good guide would go a long ways towards anyone or any group getting a coin they like with the level of quality they paid for.

Moving this to the Travel Bug Forum, since I don't have the ability to move it to the Terracachers Forum.

I've been noticing that geocoin questions have been moved to the Travel Bug Forum on at least two occasions by moderator(s). But not all geocoins are travel bugs. A good number are merely signature items. Others have the potential to travel but are used merely as trade items (e.g., FTF prizes). As a result, I believe that a moderator should give the person who starts a post on geocoins a little leeway if he/she places it in the General Forum. In this case, I don't think the forum move was called for. Just my opinion.

Getting back to the subject matter:

Below are some past companies that have been used for custom geocoins. I'm sure that there are a lot of other companies out there that can do the job as well. Also listed below are companies that sell geocoins and some suggestions for handmade geocoins.

Team FISUR: Made at Quality Challenge Coins (www.wemakecoins.com)

Moun10Bike and Wanderingdragon: Made at D & R Military Specialties (www.militaryspecialties.com)

Moun10Bike’s 1st Wooden Geocoins: GoPromos (www.gopromos.com)

Moun10Bike’s 2nd Wooden Geocoins: Old Time Wooden Nickel Company (www.wooden-nickel.com)

USA, Oregon, and California geocoins: Made at Pressed Metal Products (www.pressedmetal.net). If you want to use the approved geocaching.com logo, this place might be cost effective since they already have die for one side of the coin.

GeoNap: Possibly made at MTM Coins (www.honorcoins.com)

Vacman: Made at KVCoins (www.kvcoins.com)

Texas: Sold at www.txgeocoins.com

Canada: Sold at www.geocoins.ca

Green Man and Joy of Geocaching Geocoins: Sold at www.geocachetreasure.com

USA: Sold at www.usageocoins.com

Crusso: Made at www.pokerchips.com

MountainMudbug: Directions for Polymer Clay Geocoins (www.geocities.com/graphixoutpost/geocoins.html)

Big Bad Trucker: Made at Old Time Wooden Nickel Company (www.wooden-nickel.com). Also see Big Bad Trucker's pointers in regard to wooden nickels (http://members.fortunecity.com/geonickel)

Myarch: Find instructions for Myarch's wooden geotokens at www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geocoins/page17/make/make.html

If you plan on using the geocaching.com logo on your coins, be sure to check out the Geocaching Logo and Trademark Guidelines. If you are looking for public domain logo ideas, check out brdad's Public Domain Geocaching Logo Page.

If you want to see images of any of the above-referenced geocoins/geotokens, as well as others, go to the Geocoin Designs section of our home page.

I hope this helps.

FISUR

First I think that geocoin topics belong in the general forum unless the question is specifically about tracking or USA geocoins.

I used KV coins the main reason was that they were quick to answer my questions and after reviewing prices online I thought they had a good price for what I wanted. I also had a Vacman and AGA coin from KV so I knew that they did nice work.

For my wooden nickels I used The Old Time Wooden Nickel Co. you won't find a better price or a better place to work with.

For my plastic tokens I used Token Factory I think wood is better. I sent my order via email and got incorrect tokens several months later so I wasn't impressed by this company but other people had a better experience.

Well, since this thread really has nothing to do with this website, and relates to a different caching wesite, why is this here at all?

Let me help you with that.

1) Some Coins are trackable on GC.com.

2) A lot of coins have the GC.com logo.

3) More still are traded in and out of Gc.com listed caches.

4) Most all coins are made by GC.com users.

5) Most all coin discussions take place on this site.

6) The information if ever pulled together would be useful to members of this site.

7) As swag they are a geocaching item.

8) This thread is about geocoins.

I could keep making more reasons but I think you are being obtuse on purpose.

Well, since this thread really has nothing to do with this website, and relates to a different caching wesite, why is this here at all?

Just to make you mad like seemingly every thread you don't start does. I suppose the next time someone suggests using something off of geocaching-u we should remind them that you think that since it's not on this site it's not important. Let me bookmark the thread now so I'll know where to point people to at a later date. Aside from that, you're overlooking the fact that terracachers in it's present state is an information site and not a listing service. :rolleyes:

I, too, agree that this doesn't really belong in this form, but the approver has spoken, and it's one I like, so we'll go with it. <_<

Anyway,

Seriously, as many groups as get together to make coins, it's a good resource to have for groups that want to do something. In case you haven't noticed, almost every time a club goes to make one, they ask who used what and what they thought. We want to make it in one simple place so that they can look it up and see what information is available in one location as opposed to having to do all that themselves. By asking here, we can also get feedback on how people have found coins in the wild, what condition, if certain coins tend to tarnish or whatever, etc.

For those of you who have responded so far, thank you.

I do appreciate the information.

Becasue I said it can be here. Is that good enough? Or that Keystone put it here, does that work? :anicute:

[added smiley, some people have no sense of humor]

Edited by CO Admin

Becasue I said it can be here. Is that good enough? Or that Keystone put it here, does that work?

Uncalled for and negative moderator reply to a silly post.

Becasue I said it can be here. Is that good enough? Or that Keystone put it here, does that work? :blink:

Uncalled for and negative moderator reply to a silly post.

Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel :anicute:

Edited by CO Admin

The easiest way to see how many companies out there do a search for military challenge coins. Most generally the minimum order is 100. I think I might have seen one or two that have a smaller minimum but wasn't impressed with the quality that I saw on there web page. The more you order the cheaper the price per coin and there are a couple that will wave the die charge if the order is high enough. 100 coins should last awhile since you wouldn't put them in every cache, I ordered 250 wooden nickels, I've given some away traded a few and put one in every cache we've done in the last few months and I still haven't come close to going through 100 yet.

Any sort of coin that may or may not be trackable?

Seriously, I don't care if they're plastic, metal, wooden, etc.. Trackable or not.. I just want to be able to put together a resource for people so they don't have to find 70 different websites and wonder if it's good or not.