Marine Caches

DaveOnAWave

I have also been planning on a cache on a Lake. My thought would be to have it attached to a buoy (my own, not a navigational buoy). There are many such bouys on the lake that are used by fisherman to mark spots or other fishing related items. The geocacher would need a boat....find the buoy, raise up the cache. I expect this would need to be watched/maintained closely, as boats could drift and such while the cache was raised...thereby moving its location. On the other hand, on open water once you get within a hundred yards of the cache, the buoy would be pretty visible and therefore not difficult to find.

Edited by FenwayFans

Its fine but there are some things to consider. It may be illegal to place a cache on a navigational buoy (its illegal to moor to them). Also, those buoys are often seasonal and are moved. If you place a buoy of your own it may be an illegal impediment to navigation. Failing that, it may attract curiosity seekers.

I agree....I would NOT use a navigational buoy....I would use/create one of my own. I would also place it far away from normal boat traffic....for instance on the lake I am planning to place mine, there are many tiny inlets/coves that most boaters do not enter....this not only ensures it is not a navigational hazrd, but also reduces the chances of muggles coming upon it. Like I said, there are already many such markers that mark fishing holes or bait traps.

Here’s one for you. I have heard a rumor that there is a cache 15 feet underwater in the Aurora Reservoir in Denver. There is an old airplane that has sunk there for scuba divers to train on. The rumor is that it has a chalkboard as a log. Urban myth? Too cold in Colorado in December for me to check! ;)