If It Had To Be Garmin, Which One?

Those that have the 60 love the 60. Those that don't wish they did (unless they have a 76C/S).

But given the lack of information regarding your needs and desires, I cannot say for sure if it is indeed the proper selection for you. Given the information that you have given us, it's handheld that does indeed work for hiking, camping, hunting, and caching.

Edited by Neo_Geo

76CS is a little larger, a little different button placement, has more memory, and it floats if dropped overboard.

I would bet that for your uses, you'll want to get Garmin's Topo maps, which take up much less space than City Select (which includes detailed streets, turn-by-turn rounting, and points of interest) so the memory thing shouldn't be an issue. Floating is great if you drop the unit out of your canoe on a lake. Not so good if you drop it in a swift flowing stream while hiking or hunting. So that leaves you with button placement and size difference.

The only way to truly know about the feel of the 76 vs. the 60 is to go handle both somewhere. I prefer the 60 myself, but reasonable minds can differ (and probably will in this thread in a post or two).

FWIW, I have a 60C and live in a large urban area. I load Topo and City Select maps to do both urban and rural caches. I've never felt shorted on memory in my GPSr (although I can't say the same for real life).

I have the 76C and it is about the same as the 60C. I also have the 76S but find I never use the electronic compass or altimeter. Since I was use to the 76S I got the 76C. Some people like the feel of the 60C better. The 76C is supposed to have a better base map and has a lot more memory. As far as memory goes I have the latest city Select maps for all of WA. most of OR, southern part of BC and AB, and top half of ID and a little of MT. You could probably get most of WA and some of OR on the 60C. A big factor for me was that using some of this non-skid pads I can wedge the 76C between the windshield and the dash. I have a friend that has the 60C and as far as routing or geocaching they are about the same. If you can get your hands on both in a store do so, you may like way the 60C fits in your hand. Good Luck you can't miss with either one. Dick, W7WT

I own the 76c and everything Sputnik 57 said is correct on the 60c vs the 76c. It all depends on what you like. Go see both for yourself and decide. The differences may be a big deal to you, may not be...

Also, I think the $50 rebate for the 76c is still in effect which makes the cost a basic wash. It is a great deal..

TheHFamily

Edited by TheHFamily

I was debating between the Vista C and the 60CS. Went into REI and tested the two out. Seem to work about the same software wise. I know the 60CS has a quad antenna so the reception may be better in heavy cover. But I tell you what, the compactness of the Vista C / or Legend C is unbeatable for hiking, backpacking and geocaching.

I went with the Vista C from Costco for $330.00.

Works great.

I have a Rino 110, then upgraded to the Rino 130, and then got a 60CS to boot.

My girlfriend just went from a Legend to a 76C.

I love the way the Rino's and 60CS feel in my hand. Then again, I love the slightly larger screen and tons (double) the memory her 70C has.

She loves the 76C even though it's bigger, hasn't had many commons on mine UNLESS I don't bring it with us (we use the 60CS in it's dash-mount for autonav).

Really can't go wrong either unit (excepting memory), whatever works for you.

I'm just getting into caching. But I also do quite a bit of hunting, camping, and hiking. I'd like to have a muli-purpose model, and the new map programs looks great. The 76 looks more like it's made for Marine purposes. Does it have all the functions of the 60 as well?

thanks.

The operating system of the 76C(S) is identical to the OS of the 60C(S).

I have had my 60cs since early April and love it (previously had a Meridian Color). I consider the 60cs a bit more caching friendly than the 76cs due to it's size and configuration. One thing I've really appreciated is the "armored" construction. I've tended to abuse the unit a bit on the trail and I doubt that the 76cs would have come through some of the severe drops and bangs that the 60cs has.