Help

falcon28

I don't know if there is such a beast as a combo cable for the eTrex "C" models. Garmin does not show one as an accessory for the Legend C, nor does GPSGeek.com (a cable seller that is popular in this forum).

I can't imagine why a combo cable is not available. Seems like many people would be willing to pay a few extra dollars for the convenience of having to carry around only one cable for both purposes ;)

It took Garmin a couple of months to offer the 010-10563-00 Cigarette lighter adapter. Maybe they'll have a combo cable soon.

Edited by Neo_Geo

If you have a laptop, you'll get power to the GPS from the USB port. You really don't need a combo cable, because of this. You'll probably want an inverter to power the laptop from the cig lighter, and those are pretty cheap. If you just want to power up the GPS without connecting it to anything, you can get a plug that plugs into your cig lighter and has a USB port that supplies 5VDC on the back for about $5. I use one of those for powering both my Legend and my Palm with one homemade cable.

If you have a laptop, you'll get power to the GPS from the USB port.

Not necessarily true. I pulled the batteries from my 60C and plugged-in the USB cable, and no workie! It wouldn't turn on.

Then again, I may NOT be using the same cable I got from Garmin. I have another cable I got from Sony with my camcorder and don't know which one's hooked up to my computer...

Edited by Neo_Geo
If you have a laptop, you'll get power to the GPS from the USB port.

Not necessarily true. I pulled the batteries from my 60C and plugged-in the USB cable, and no workie! It wouldn't turn on.

Then again, I may NOT be using the same cable I got from Garmin. I have another cable I got from Sony with my camcorder and don't know which one's hooked up to my computer...

I took a look at the Manual.

The GPS can only get external POWER via the USB port on the back of the GPS. Only the Etrexes can do this, not the 60C.

Just be carefully, I bought a cig light adaptor off of ebay and it said that it worked with the Legend C, but when I got and tried it, it wouldn't work. After contacting Garmin and the vendor, the way you can check to see if it's working is that battery indicator will change to a plug icon.

The vendor ended up refunding my money, since the adaptor didn't meet the Legend C's specs.

Just be carefully, I bought a cig light adaptor off of ebay and it said that it worked with the Legend C, but when I got and tried it, it wouldn't work. After contacting Garmin and the vendor, the way you can check to see if it's working is that battery indicator will change to a plug icon.

The vendor ended up refunding my money, since the adaptor didn't meet the Legend C's specs.

Who was the vendor?