Were We Right.

Hi Peeps..

Well it is well over 12 months down the line.. We are on for our second committee.. Dajavu.. but a good Dajavu, spelling exempt :(

So.. the big question..

And leaving the politics of how it was done..

WAS IT RIGHT..

did we acheive our main goal.. in that not ending up with blanket no go areas as un USA and getting positive feedback from Land Managers..

Just curious.

Edited by Moss Trooper

I started caching after the GAGB's birthing pains had finished so I don't really know the politics of the time but I get the impression that GAGB has been a good thing.

There are a number of posts announcing new areas where caching is allowed and that is good and I can't help but think that GAGB can only have helped.

There's a growing list of agreements with major landowners. Certainly they are not all the work of the GAGB, but quite a few are, and as John Stead says, being able to cite the GAGB can also be useful to other cachers seeking agreements. I would hope landowners find it reassuring that a GB/UK specific organisation exists which aims to foster good relations between cachers and landowners, and which offers landowners and indeed anyone else a contact point regarding caches and caching.

So far we in this country do seem to have avoided the problems experienced in the US where some major landowners have banned caching altogether, or have introduced systems of charging licence fees to place caches on their land. Given that caching has grown enormously in popularity in the UK in the last year or two, it's ever more important that we not only do have good relations with major landowners, but also that we are seen to have.

I think caching in this country needed the GAGB, and I believe that the GAGB is forwarding our interests and I hope that it will long continue to do so.

(committee member of the GAGB, expressing my own opinions)

WAS IT RIGHT..

Simple answer, Yes! When I wrote the Geocache Introduction Document, the very first page written was the GAGB page! Because as I still believe now, the only way forward for Geocaching in the UK, is a properly organized UK Geocaching community ,similar to what Walkers have in the Ramblers Association. I also believe that the birthing pains the GAGB went through, has made it stronger!

Dave (A proud member of GAGB)

Yes, definitely. And a big thank you to all the committee for all their hard work, and for the cachers who set it up in the first place in spite of a lot of negative comments.

I'm thinking of placing a cache near my new house, discovered it was Forestry Commission land and was amazed (not dipping into these fora too often) to see the simply guidelines and permission application forms available for us all to use.

Thank you to you all,

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edited by Lizzzzeeeee
I was unaware of GAGB until this was posted. Useful idea, if only as a mechanism for gaining wider tolerance and access to cache locations. Certainly I emailed the Staffs Wildlife Trust info to our local wildlife trust and await their response to a request for a cache on their land.

;)

It's posts like this that show why GAGB is a good idea. My permission from Staffs Wildlife Trust had to, in some way, be due to the work that others had done in the past. We'll reach a point where an avalanche occurs and major land owners will not be able to say no or ignore requests.

In short, yes it was the right thing to do.

One of the big shames about all the ranglings was that very few people (1 or 2 as I remember it) thought it was a bad idea, most arguments seemed to be about the way things were done and tiny missunderstandings got blown out of all proportion. Such is the power of the internet for quickly creating a really good row out of really very little!

Both GAGB and the UK mods(past & present) have done a fantastic job for us in working with landowners to achieve some relly good access agrements.

Chris