Etiquette

Mr Lost

I recently came across a micro that was in dire need of attention - leaky, and the logsheet was disintegrating. I replaced the logsheet on the spot, and took the old one home to dry. I later emailed the owner, told him what I did, ofered to mail him the old logsheet and replace the container as well. He was gracious and agreeable.

I have heard of other, umm.... not so generous responses from cache owners.

What is the etiquette for on the spot maintenance?

What would you like to see happen with your caches?

What do you usually do when you come across a similar situation such as I did?

I'd put it in my pocket and post a DNF :( .

Seriously, I think you seemed to do the right thing because the owner was happy that you did. However, from a personal standpoint I'd rather the finder note the condition in his log and let me take care of it. It may sound strange, but I'm a bit particular about my logbooks and don't want just any old slip of paper in my cache.

Edited by briansnat

You most certainly did the right thing! If only everyone were to do just that.

I try and carry spare log sheets whenever possible (though I often forget!) and replace them as needed. If the cache is in bad condition and I can fix or replace it on the spot, I will do so. If I'm going to be in the area again, sometimes I will come back and replace a damaged container if I have a comparable one.

I've never had anyone be ungrateful for this, and I would hope anyone who found a problem with one of my caches and had the means to make some simple fixes to preserve the cache would do so as well.

What I will not do, however, is assume that a cache is missing and leave another one in its place.

EDIT in response to Briansnat's post: I will note the condition of the cache and any action I took in my online log. That way the owner can still get out there and return the cache to its "pristine" state...but in the meantime, the next cacher to find it will at least have a log sheet to sign that isn't wet or full.

Edited by Team PerkyPerks

I recently retrieved the soggy logbook from a cache and replaced it with a new one, complete with a freezer ziplock which I hope will help, and a new pen.

I scanned the logbook pages and uploaded them to the cache page, emailed the owner and offered to get the logbook to him.

Never heard a word back.

Some people don't care if you do them a favor, other people don't care at all.

Jamie

Keep in mind that sometimes the original hider has given up on the game for any number of reasons. When you "save the cache," you help others who haven't found the cache yet.

Here is an example of a cache where no one has done anything, but mention in their logs that the cache needs repairs. The owner hasn't logged on since September. The first mention that the cache needs repair was August 7th. Desert Trail

If more people actually did courteous repairs, you wouldn't see four people in a row mention the cache needs repairs.

In my opinion, you did the right thing.

Good job, Mr Lost! I've helped that cacher maintain that particular cache in the past. The main problem with it is the unyielding dampness of the hiding spot. The film canister (I'm guessing it's still a film canister) does not keep a log dry there and it needs to be replaced frequently.

Good job, Mr Lost!  I've helped that cacher maintain that particular cache in the past.  The main problem with it is the unyielding dampness of the hiding spot.  The film canister (I'm guessing it's still a film canister) does not keep a log dry there and it needs to be replaced frequently.

What about dessicant? That would be easy to replace (found in medicine bottles or can be bought) and would keep the cache nice and dry, if it's sealed tight. :rolleyes::unsure:

Keep in mind that sometimes the original hider has given up on the game for any number of reasons. When you "save the cache," you help others who haven't found the cache yet.

Here is an example of a cache where no one has done anything, but mention in their logs that the cache needs repairs. The owner hasn't logged on since September. The first mention that the cache needs repair was August 7th. Desert Trail

If more people actually did courteous repairs, you wouldn't see four people in a row mention the cache needs repairs.

In my opinion, you did the right thing.

If I find one like Kit Fox describes(one that has been neglected) I post an archive notice for it. It gets the placers and an approvers attention. If nothing happens in a few weeks the spot is free game to another cache. If it is a well maintained cache then I will try to do what I can to keep it right.