2004 Bug Race

THE RED FOX RAIDERS

Who won? :( I know there were problems back in Sept/Oct for updates. We asked this question on a few geocaching forums ( BC & MGA)and got no result! So what's with that?? Any one with infor please pass it on.

Who was First,Second? What were the prizes given out? Any pictures? The race ended on 30 Nov 04 has any participants in the race recived a e-mail from the organizers? So mamy unanswer question.

My understanding is that Boreal Jeff has had some 'puter problems according to the following post made in this thread on Nov. 26th:

I feed bad about this. I haven't been updating the web site due to a variety of reasons.

1. I had to reload Windows after I got a virus

2. Lost the FTP program I was using.

3. Just when I was getting to the point I could start updating, I got another virus or something. My computer is sending bulk e-mails out. I'm afraid to turn my computer on. I've had experts look at it but no solutions except to reload Windows!"

4. Add to this lack of time to get things fixed

I hate computers! I hate Windows.

Sorry everyone. Please forgive me.

I've been wondering about it too. It seems that east to west isn't a good idea due to a lower number of cachers. Movement across the prairies seems slow (but that could be due to the lack of updates).

Great contest and already looking forward to next years. Don't enter a bug, but love watching the progress and the opportunity to pick one up.

Mike

I haven't heard from either one for months. I was only involved as support in the west coast this year so I do not have any further info than any one else. Sorry about that but if anyone would like the race to continue next year a new race comittee will probably be required. Please feel free to drop me a line if you would like to be involved.

I haven't heard from either one for months. I was only involved as support in the west coast this year so I do not have any further info than any one else. Sorry about that but if anyone would like the race to continue next year a new race comittee will probably be required. Please feel free to drop me a line if you would like to be involved.

Thanks, WCoaster. Being an active bystander the first year having moved a number of the bugs from the West Coast, and then having a TB in this year's edition, I would hate to see this race be discontinued. If any help is needed by having people step forward to ensure that the race continues next year, I would be happy to assist in anyway possible. :rolleyes:

Well I guess if we are going to get it done the key item required is a webpage guru to run the maping and ranking pages.

It is beyond my ability, but I would be willing to setup the start line and judge the race.

I could help with prizes but would prefer a third on the committee to handle these tasks.

Again I am sorry for failing to update the website. I ran into some unexpectant problems that made the project start to consume more time then I had.

I lost my FTP program in one of my last crashes. This was a purchased copy of Cute FTP. I can't restore it from their web site - mine was an older version or something and my s/n doesn't work.

Since I will not use pirated software and trial software is not the best, I haven't gotten a decent FTP program running on my PC. The PC is so flaky now and on its last legs (capacitors are sweating badly) I am afraid to install anything on it. I need a new PC.

I was never in charge of prizes. The first race, 2003, the prizes were arranged by White Owl. This year, nothing got arranged/donated. I don't think there is going to be any prizes. In essence, this was something done for the fun of it.

If anyone would like to organize the next race, 2005, go for it. I would enter a TB in it.

<_<

Edited by boreal jeff & sons

I would like to thank you for all your help in the 2003 race Jeff. It would not have been nearly as enjoyable wothout the web page to track the racers.

Is the webpage difficult to maintain? I am fairly techno savy just not a web programmer but I could learn and I do have the software available. I would be open to trying to run the page if you were open to allowing me to use what you already created.

Please PM me if you would like to follow up on this.

Thanks Again and look forward to seeing your TB in the next race if we can get it going.

I would say that is an accurate assesment.

Maybe it's just me, but HUH? :laughing:

I've read Jeff's post, but it still doesn't address the questions asked.

Mike

Not that I can comment on what really has happened, but reading through the lines,I think that the exercise was an "exercise in enjoying the sport and for the experience." It appears that no one arranged for prizes for this years race, however, it is still quite possible for the rules committee to figure out who placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. According to the race update webpage, White_Owl (prize coordinator, rules committee), Boreal Jeff (race webpage, rules committee), and Tall, Duck & Caching (East Coast coord, rules committee) are the rules committee and perhaps contacting them at their GC contact info about the placings and the final results might generate an update.

I don't really care about the standings now (although Long Suffering was poised to do well). I just hope that there is a GCC2C TB Race in 2005.