Paperless With A Laptop

ValleyRat & TillyMouse

This has probably already been posted, but I can't find it. If someone points me to it, I'll delete this post, but . . .

Online, when researching areas for caching, while on the webpage for the site, we go to FILE|SAVE AS|[select or create a folder] then press <Enter>

That saves a copy of the webpage to the hard drive so we don't have to print the page and carry a clipboard full of paper, or be online when caching?

On caching trips, the laptop sets on a table between the front seats, with IE and Delorme Street Atlas running. We can switch back-and-forth between the appropriate webpage and the map program (with GPS tracking on); just press <Alt> <Tab> to switch.

To recall the page while on the road/offline, just type C: into the GO window of IE, then navigate to the folder where we saved all those webpages. Alternatively, you can just double-click on the html file that was saved in para 2 above.

Want the plan for my table? PM to me and I'll send it to you. You can build it for under $5. The plans are free.

Edited by valleyrat

I take my laptop with me and use my GPS and Mapsource Topo like a real-time atlas while driving.

I keep my cache pages in GPX format on my Palm III using Cachemate. Works quite well, and is much smaller than my laptop in the woods (and a lot less valuable/fragile).

By the way, are you selling those plans, or it just costs $5 for materials?

Edited by New England n00b

I do almost exactly what noob does. I load my laptop with a current GPX file for the area I'm heading too. I use the GPX file to export a waypoint file for use with my mapping software. All the caches in the area will show up as dots on the map. I connect my laptop to my GPS and I can see where I am on the map at any given moment. I use the GPX file stored on the laptop to give me all the cache descriptions for the area.

I do the same thing but instead of saving the cache pages to my drive I use GSAK which allows you to select a waypoing in your list and then in a pane on the bottom half of the screen it will show an offline version of the geocaching page.

I also use mapsource with my gps tracking on the map.

Alt tab works wonders.

Kirk out.

GSAK locked and loaded on an old Dell P2, Streets and Trips 2003 running with caches imported from GSAK.

GPS hooked to Dell to provide real time navigation. I usually only use this when in a new town and on a multi-cache mission.

The night before, or while on the plane, I mark a route encompassing the caches I want to get to.

Old palm to take into the woods to reread the description/hint/past logs

Laptop with Delorme Street Atlas, and GSAK.

All the gpx files from the waypoints I am interested in are in GSAK, and I export a waypoint file that Street Atlas can display on the map page.

Worked on a nine day, 3,400 mile road trip from Jackson, MS to Phoenix, AZ and back again. We even found a wholebunch of caches.

Plu, we have a 12 volt to 110 volt inverter to keep the laptop running.

I had a couple of emails regarding my mobile laptop table; some were building it from PVC Pipe. My plan should have said DO NOT USE PVC PIPE; it has to be iron pipe for stability. Here's the parts list.

1. A 12" nipple of 1/2" iron pipe -- Use a shorter nipple here if possible to keep the table at proper height while making it more stable.

2. A 6" nipple of 1/2" iron pipe

3. A 4" nipple of 1/2" iron pipe

4. Two 1/2" 45-degree Couplers/elbows

5. Two 1/2" Floor Flanges

6. One 12x12" table top made from plywood or plexiglass.

7. Self-tapping screws suitable for attaching the flange to the floor.

8 Flat-head (countersunk) machine screws for attaching the second flange to the bottom of the table top.

And for those who thought I was carrying my laptop into the woods. I do not have a plan for a chest-mounted table. :anicute:

Edited by valleyrat