Dnfers Anonymous

xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy

Hi. I'm Steve. I've been geocaching since August 21. Logged my first DNF on August 22. I'm a DNFer. DNFers of the world Unite! B)

I'm Shunra. I too log all my DNFs, since I had my first on my 7th day of caching. Since then, I see DNFs as a spiritual thing. Every now and then, my brain and my GPS insist on taking some time-out.

Im evergreenhiker! I also log my DNFs and have been known ot log as many as 5 of htem on a single cache before finding them. Dr. Koska used to give me major fits. LOL. My first ever attempt was an unlogged DNF. Next time I found Tie Mill and rest is history as I officially joined the geocaching world. Let's see if you add the unlogged DNF at the beginning, I have 326 career DNFs versus 2074 finds. Roughly the unweighed success rate is about 85%, but if weighed, I'm guessing closer to 90%

Lucy here. I'm a big DNFer.

Rickie and I spent a caching weekend in Wenatchee earlier this year. Didn't realize what big losers we were until we started logging. OUCH!!!!! We found a bunch but our total of DNFs was a bit past 30 for two days of cacching.

It was really depressing to log all those DNFs but at the half way point, it just became too funny. Really now, how many times and how many ways can you say poor pitiful me? You have to start lauging at yourself and some of the best logs are the DNF ones. The upshot is that because we did log our DNFs, a lot of the cache owners wrote back with lovely notes welcoming us to come visit again and offering help.

My name is NomadRaven and I'm a total DNFer. My first attempt at finding a cache was a DNF. That was over 2 years ago and the cache is amazingly still there... I really should go back and find it like I said I would in my log. :(

I still remember it well. RomulusNR and I were the least prepared geocachers ever. We had the new GPS in the car and were driving through Renton for some reason and looked up that cache on his cell phone. Halfway through looking for it, it started pouring rain. Then it got dark and we had a heck of a time getting back to the car. :D

Really though, life's too short not to laugh at these things. :D

Some of the best DNF logs are from TravisL.  Where are you Trav?

(The Finder of Not waves.)

I log all my DNFs, although perhaps I log too many. Generally, if I've hit "go to" on the GPS with the intention of finding a cache, and I don't get to it, I'll log it as a DNF.

The most frustrating DNFs are the ones that you get in places that you know you'll never have a chance to go back to.

I geocache the way I play golf - play it where it lies, count every stroke. 32 original DNF's, I've been able to find 4 on later visits. Success rating of 85.7% (finds / total attempts). One more memorable one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...e3-f95195ff58dc

I just can't figure out how to markwell, any tips? (edit - Oh, it seems to have worked!)

paul2tele

Edited by paul2tele
The most frustrating DNFs are the ones that you get in places that you know you'll never have a chance to go back to.

I don't mind the out of the area DNFs. As long as I've found the area that the hider wanted to take me then I'm happy to see a new place and have a new "adventure". Finding the actual box isn't as important.

It's the one's that are close up that are worse. You have to keep seeing the cache on lists and pocket queries, taunting you. Especially when it's a micro in some garbage strewn forest and you really don't want to go back there.

The most frustrating DNFs for me are the caches listed as a difficulty of 1. I think there's a special place in hell for people who have DNFs on their difficulty 1 caches. :(

Do I DNF? That's a question best presented to some evil penguins.

Thanks for the good laugh!......that has to be some of the best DNF logs I've read. If you find that cache and then go back and can't find it again does that mean you get your first find taken away?:(......I could feel the frustration in Bull Moose....all that time wasted on looking for it and it was never there......then finding out it is there. I could hear the screams. Having to go back again must have been agony, but what a relief when you found it. The needle in the haystack type of caches I try to stay away from, but this one I'll have to put on my list. I have a metal detector and some time tomorrow.......:D

Here are a couple of my all time favorite DNF logs.

Baker Lake

Sauk Mountain

If I look for it I DNF if a drive by a decided not to look for it for some reason, like to many people, or looks like it might be harder than the time I have to look then I don't DNF. My stats show less DNF then I've had becouse at first I would go back and change the DNF to a find once I had found it.

Thanks for the good laugh!......that has to be some of the best DNF logs I've read. If you find that cache and then go back and can't find it again does that mean you get your first find taken away?;)......I could feel the frustration in Bull Moose....all that time wasted on looking for it and it was never there......then finding out it is there. I could hear the screams. Having to go back again must have been agony, but what a relief when you found it. The needle in the haystack type of caches I try to stay away from, but this one I'll have to put on my list. I have a metal detector and some time tomorrow.......;)

I went back to refind that Evil Penguinn and couldn't find it. Really freaking evil! Peace, Nolenator

Thanks for the good laugh!......that has to be some of the best DNF logs I've read. If you find that cache and then go back and can't find it again does that mean you get your first find taken away?;)......I could feel the frustration in Bull Moose....all that time wasted on looking for it and it was never there......then finding out it is there. I could hear the screams. Having to go back again must have been agony, but what a relief when you found it. The needle in the haystack type of caches I try to stay away from, but this one I'll have to put on my list. I have a metal detector and some time tomorrow.......:P

I went back to refind that Evil Penguinn and couldn't find it. Really freaking evil! Peace, Nolenator

d4c0dfae-a763-4001-8bdd-df000f5fea94.jpg

Looking at my three closest unfound caches: the first I haven't figured out yet, the second I haven't been invited to, and the third will have to wait a bit longer for when I've got the time to devote to it (maybe in a week and a half... ). I enjoyed reading all of the DNF stories at that Evil Penguin! And I'm glad you finally found it Bull Moose! Stairs, ivy, and IVs, sounds like a great day out. :P I know it's tough when multiple people who've found it before can't find it again. So look forward to my first DNF on that one soon! ;)

Edited to clarify: not my first DNF (that would be this cache on March 28, 2002), just my first for the penguin cache. I'm not afraid of those silly things. No need to be anonymous! :)

Edited by fauxSteve

Hi! I'm JavaDuck (aka Steve) and I'm a DNF'r. Some of my favorite initial DNF's have turned into some of my favorite caches. In the past week, I was successfully able to move two long standing DNF's (multiple searches, and one that involved over 8 hours of combined search time) into the find column. I'm not ashamed to log DNF's. Everyone has to have em sometime.

I think I DNFed the second cache I tried to find- Redmond Rotary Picnic Area. Got it last week for #199. I FDNFed for the first time this weekend. Multi-cache and DNF seem to go hand in hand for me... ;) Especially if they're the 'look at the sign', or 'count the number of...' types. But quite a few of my DNFs have been MIAs, so if you don't log em, you'll never know... If I have my kids with me my DNFs go up and if I'm caching with a someone (who's a grownup!- not something I get many chances to do...) my finds are higher. Also makes a DNF more fun when you share the frustration! They bug me tho- almost like I can hear the cache taunting me... (uh oh- this is a bad sign, isn't it!) ;) Ooh, I learned how to make a hyperlink!

Edited by LittleBlue

Is this kinda like the first step in the twelve step program?

Hello, My name is Jose Heman... No wait, that aint me.

We go by the names of Logscaler and Red.

We have a box full of DNF's and we earned each and every one of them. Several for the same cache. Again and again to the same location. And yes, we have thought about going out and trying to redeem ourselves but several of the caches no longer exist so they have to just annoy me forever.

We have been working way to hard lately - 8 months in a row 60 plus hours a week - and we have had very little time to get out and cache. I guess that way we dont get anymore DNF's.

Logscaler and Red.

Hi, yes, I must admit I am a dnfer. I am rarely happy at that point in my life I admit but I still do it. I just can't seem to control it. Then I go back again and again for repeated punishment. It is sooo hard to let it go till that smile appears beside my name on the local caches. When I am caching away from home I just pray for good hints.

Hi, I'm hydnsek and I'm a DNFer. I log my DNFs, it keeps me honest and it occasionally helps flag a problem with a cache (so I didn't reeeeally DNF). A bit embarrassing on the 1:1s, but it's character-building. ;) And it's always satisfying when I can eventually turn a frownie to a smilie, like this recent one. My pet peeve: geocachers who don't log DNFs and then email you for hints. ;)

Hi, my name is Ed and I'm from Team Sagefox. I had a terrible time on my last Washington State cache trip.

Fort Bragg, CA to Portland to Seattle to TriCities then back through Eastern Oregon to Williams, CA and home again.

25 dnf's for 64 finds and the SAGEFOX Vanagon lost its clutch.

Ah. then that clutch should be archived.

I have now archived several parts from that incident. And I also archived $1000.00 from my savings account.

Fortunately the speed range in third gear of a Vanagon camper with a Subaru Legacy 2.2 Liter engine modification is from 18 mph to 75 mph and that helped get me home over 210 miles including crossing the coast range mountains. During the trip home. However, small pieces of metal flew around in the bell housing and the parts looked like they were heavily sandblasted.

But it was the 25 dnf's that really chaps my hide.

Hi I'm LindaLu and I've logged ~most~ of my DNF's (hey, I'm human, sometimes my pride gets in the way...)

Here's a two-part question for you all: Have you ever given up on a cache, and how many DNFs did it take for you to get to that point?

I don't get to that point. Heck I'm logging my 5 th or 6th DNF at the damned RR cache in North bEnd. I dont' give up. Though I think I'm going to have a very strong hint with me next time I go.